inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Coolest pets?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/11/05 at 2:35 pm

Coolest pets in your opinion?

I absolutely love CATS...especially Torties like my furkid,Tika! 8)

Subject: Re: Coolest pets?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/11/05 at 2:36 pm

Coolest pets must be penguins?

Written By: gemini61 on 06/11/05 at 2:39 pm

I picked dogs, frogs, turtles and fish. I'm allergic to cats  :( 

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/11/05 at 2:39 pm

I mean cool as in most favorite.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/11/05 at 2:42 pm

Guinea pigs, hamsters, mice, rats and ferrets.

Written By: Climber on 06/12/05 at 8:42 pm

Cats, then dogs, in that order.  :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/12/05 at 9:17 pm

Cats, dogs, hamsters, birds and other: hedgehogs.

Written By: NbC on 06/13/05 at 9:12 am

I picked the top 4:

Dogs
Cats
Birds
Fish

I am especially fond of Birds (parrots).  I currently own a bit of all four, plus a turtle and chicken. 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/13/05 at 10:00 am

Lately...my dog :)

Written By: jiminy on 06/13/05 at 12:25 pm

I went with other creatures... though not nearly as popular as the "pet rock" the "pet ice cube" was a pretty cool pet, they tend to have a short life span in your more tropic climates  :D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/13/05 at 12:33 pm

I went with other creatures... though not nearly as popular as the "pet rock" the "pet ice cube" was a pretty cool pet, they tend to have a short life span in your more tropic climates  :D
;D It's always nice to laugh....thanks, jiminy :)

Written By: jiminy on 06/13/05 at 12:36 pm

;D It's always nice to laugh....thanks, jiminy :)

sadly after this photo was made, he went for a swim in my coke and passed away   ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/13/05 at 1:23 pm

sadly after this photo was made, he went for a swim in my coke and passed away  ::)
:D ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/13/05 at 1:37 pm

Dogs
Cats
Fish
Horses/Ponies
Lizards (even though I hate 'em personally)

I dunno why our equine friends didn't make the list!  You have to have the money and property to care for them properly, of course.  I would choose horses over ponies because ponies are bitchier!
Birds are cool, but I never feel quite right about keeping a creature that's meant to FLY penned up like that.  Friends of mine have had lizards, such as gekkos and iguanas, reptiles want to bask on their heat rocks under the lamps 90% of the time.  I don't like reptiles, but it's better to have a caged animal that likes being sedentary than one of those rodents that darts around all the time.  I'm too phobic of snakes--the incarnation of evil--to consider them cool.
Most "exotic" pets are just wild animals held in captivity.  Never pick a pet that can threaten your life if he gets the upper hand: wild cats, wolves, coyotes, crocodilians, monitor lizards, great snakes, venomous snakes, and so on....

What about those pot-bellied pigs?  Anybody like them?

Written By: jiminy on 06/13/05 at 1:46 pm

I was looking at this list and wondering what would be the best pet to have if you compared the pet's life span to the average humans life span, I know a pet like a rat has about a 2 year life span, I think a human lives to about 75 (I'm not really sure)... so if your pet of choice was a rat you would need (37.5 I'll round it up to 38) 38 rats in your life... on the other hand my pet ice cube was good for about 10 minutes, that would be 6 in an hour... 144 in a day... 52,560 in a year and 19,184,400 in a lifetime (but the actual number could be much less assuming you keep them in the freezer at night) The giant Tortoise lives for over 200 years, so here is a pet that could be passed to another generation. I wouldn't mind having a pet monkey (I like monkeys) you could take him to a bar with you and have a few drinks, girls always think monkeys are cute (until if throws it's own feces at them) Well if someone is feeling a bit bored it would be interesting viewing a chart telling how many of a certain pet a person would need to last a lifetime based on averages... I can't believe you read this whole post   :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/05 at 1:54 pm

I have squirrels on our balcony, but I do call them pets.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/13/05 at 1:58 pm

Hmmmmm. Anyone care to guess what I picked?

Cat

Written By: jiminy on 06/13/05 at 2:01 pm

I have squirrels on our balcony, but I do call them pets.

we call 'em "speedbumps"  :D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/13/05 at 5:38 pm

Dogs
Cats
Fish
Horses/Ponies
Lizards (even though I hate 'em personally)

I dunno why our equine friends didn't make the list! You have to have the money and property to care for them properly, of course. I would choose horses over ponies because ponies are bitchier!
Birds are cool, but I never feel quite right about keeping a creature that's meant to FLY penned up like that. Friends of mine have had lizards, such as gekkos and iguanas, reptiles want to bask on their heat rocks under the lamps 90% of the time. I don't like reptiles, but it's better to have a caged animal that likes being sedentary than one of those rodents that darts around all the time. I'm too phobic of snakes--the incarnation of evil--to consider them cool.
Most "exotic" pets are just wild animals held in captivity. Never pick a pet that can threaten your life if he gets the upper hand: wild cats, wolves, coyotes, crocodilians, monitor lizards, great snakes, venomous snakes, and so on....

What about those pot-bellied pigs? Anybody like them?
I hope when you said "great snakes" you did not include boa constrictors..I can see staying away from pythons and anacondas(unless you have the $$$$$$$$ to build a large enough enclosure and $$$$$$$ to keep them fed)...many folks keep boas with little or no problems. But I'd never keep 'hot'(another term for venomous)snakes....but I still find myself fascinated when I see them in a zoo's reptile house. Snakes do pretty well for themselves despite having no limbs and crawling on their bellies...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/13/05 at 5:48 pm

The thing I find amazing about land hermit crabs is how strong they are...they can grip things with their claws(especially the larger claw which they use to assist them in climbing..they also use the large claw for self-defense)and their piton-like legs are well suited for climbing things like trees...and it's cool that they live on LAND,wear discarded snail shells(some of their shells are very colorful and beautiful..)..and learn to trust humans enough to become gentle pets.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/13/05 at 5:50 pm

Definitely cats!!!  8)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/13/05 at 5:54 pm

Cat
Gee...I wonder ;)

Written By: jiminy on 06/13/05 at 8:59 pm

Cat

Moooooooooo!!!
http://www.rit.edu/~jyl4032/images/cat_cow.jpg

Written By: jiminy on 06/13/05 at 9:08 pm

I used to want to be a herpetologist and even got to milk rattlesnakes, until I was 17 years old I always had snakes, lizards, turtles, frogs, alligators and any other reptile I could get my hands on... then I discovered girls  ;D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/13/05 at 9:12 pm

Why do I love cats? Because they are the way they are...almost humanlike..Independent,yet they seem to know when their human(s) need their comfort,kindness,and friendship. My Tika is very soft to the touch...and very affectionate to 'her' humans....some people don't quite get that 'you don't own the cat,the cat owns YOU!'

Written By: jiminy on 06/13/05 at 9:36 pm

http://www.funny-pet-pictures.com/pictures/monkeys_bears/9.jpg

Written By: Blondie on 06/13/05 at 9:53 pm

dogs
cats
guinea pigs
hamsters
mice

Written By: Climber on 06/13/05 at 11:15 pm

... I can't believe you read this whole post   :D

LMAO!  ;D :D ;D :D

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/15/05 at 12:59 pm

Coolest pets in your opinion?

I absolutely love CATS...especially Torties like my furkid,Tika! 8)

Cats are the absolute best.

I used to have 2 Siamese as a youngster.

All cats are fantastic  ;D

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/15/05 at 1:01 pm

http://www.funny-pet-pictures.com/pictures/monkeys_bears/9.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I just saw that little monkey with his 'spliff'

LMAO - awwwwww how cute  ;D ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/15/05 at 6:04 pm

I hope when you said "great snakes" you did not include boa constrictors..I can see staying away from pythons and anacondas(unless you have the $$$$$$$$ to build a large enough enclosure and $$$$$$$ to keep them fed)...many folks keep boas with little or no problems. But I'd never keep 'hot'(another term for venomous)snakes....but I still find myself fascinated when I see them in a zoo's reptile house. Snakes do pretty well for themselves despite having no limbs and crawling on their bellies...

A smaller size boa or python is relatively safe, but I sure wouldn't want to get on its bad side! 
I'm terribly phobic of ALL snakes.  You couldn't even get me to pick up one of those little garter snakes.  No way!

Once you've got a non-domesticated animal bigger than a house cat in your domain, it's not a "pet," it's a captured animal you take care of.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/15/05 at 7:21 pm

A smaller size boa or python is relatively safe, but I sure wouldn't want to get on its bad side!
I'm terribly phobic of ALL snakes. You couldn't even get me to pick up one of those little garter snakes. No way!

Once you've got a non-domesticated animal bigger than a house cat in your domain, it's not a "pet," it's a captured animal you take care of.
I went to a public high school that was pretty modern (for the 70's) and I took a course called Applied Biology....they had a few pretty docile snakes in the class. One of them was a Black Rat Snake someone named Starsky...I was terrified of snakes when I first took the class...but my curiousity won out,and Starsky became a really cool snake 'pal' in my eyes. He was very gentle...a lot of kids in the class,myself included,would take him out of his terrarium and hold him.  Same with a Texas Brown tarantula in the class. BTW North American tarantulas are not really dangerous unless you have an allergy to bee or wasp stings. But it's a different story with the scorpions here in the Southwest...the Sculptured Centruroides has a sting that can kill if you don't get anti-venin in time!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/15/05 at 7:24 pm

Am I the only one here who keeps land hermit crabs as pets? I'd like to hear from anyone else who keeps them,or just likes them...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/16/05 at 1:21 am

Am I the only one here who keeps land hermit crabs as pets? I'd like to hear from anyone else who keeps them,or just likes them...

My stepbrother kept terrariums when we were growing up.  He loves all that stuff.
I like dogs and cats, and that's pretty much it.
Tropical fish are pretty cool, though.

Written By: TC1970 on 06/16/05 at 4:54 am

I like cats. Especially my Maine Coon and Siamese cats.  :)

Written By: jiminy on 06/16/05 at 9:17 am

I lived in Okanawa Japan for a year when I was a kid and we always had hermit crabs and would have to go to the beach to find them bigger shells, I even had the underwater hermit crabs but they didn't do too well so I stuck with the land type

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/16/05 at 1:06 pm

I always wanted a pet skunk. NO JOKE! I heard once they are "de-scented", they make excellent pets. Very clean.

Cat

Written By: Guiness on 06/16/05 at 2:37 pm

I always wanted a pet skunk. NO JOKE! I heard once they are "de-scented", they make excellent pets. Very clean.

Cat

Decenting is cruel and indecent.  How would you like it if someone took out yore glands?

Subject: Coolest pets?

Written By: Dude111 on 03/06/18 at 9:40 pm

Guinea pigs,hamsters,mice,rat,kitty cats,ferrets :)

Written By: Howard on 03/07/18 at 2:44 pm

dogs

Check for new replies or respond here...