inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Malls: are they becoming less popular?

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/15/05 at 12:09 am

In looking at it today, it really seems like malls are on the decline. If I'm not mistaken, they started in the early/mid 70's, but their heyday was in the 80's and up till maybe the first half of the 90's.

It actually took me until I was in high school in the late 90's to realize they weren't bustling like "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" anymore (much to my disappointment, LOL). Nowadays, I'm noticing alot of stores closing, especially the video/music places and arcades, which is sort of sad since that reminds me of my childhood in the 80's. :(

I guess my question is, how long do you think they'll be around for? In this area, it's gone one of two ways, (1) those that are kinda just "getting by" but not doing great, and (2) those which have gotten a facelift of sorts, with alot of new shops and restaurants.

PS - One thing about 2015 in BTTF part 2 which actually might be somewhat accurate was the revitalized downtown area of Hill Valley. Compare the semi run-down look of it in 1985 ('cause the Twin/Lone Pine mall was where all the activity was!) with the activity by 2015. It seems to already be happening that way in the real world. ;)

Subject: Re: Malls: are they becoming less popular?

Written By: ADH13 on 06/15/05 at 1:22 am

Well, I can remember when I was in middle school, it was everybody's worst nightmare to be seen shopping at K-Mart.

In San Jose, as far as I know, there are no more K-Mart's, but there are Wal-Marts and Targets, which sell just about anything that you can find at the mall.  And maybe I'm wrong, since I'm not 12 years old anymore, but I don't hear all the "cheap" jokes about Target & Walmart that I used to hear about Kmart, and I see many school age children in these stores.  That is probably one reason the malls have lost popularity.

Personally, I don't go to malls nearly as much as I used to.  I think it's partly because the stores mostly sell trendy stuff, and I am way past the age of trying to follow the latest styles.  Plus, it's hard to find parking.  Usually I only go to the malls around the holidays when I am frantically trying to get all of my shopping done in one trip.  (Or when I'm in the mood for a slice of Sbarro pizza)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/15/05 at 1:26 am

I couldn't really say. I'm not too big on large chain stores such as K Mart, Countdown & The Warehouse (Hey, if you can mention American-only stores, why can't I mention NZ-only stores?!) Whether that's a trend that's happening I don't know. They seem good as thewy have nice, cheap prices, but quite often cheap price = cheap and nasty product.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/15/05 at 1:44 am

Your observation about Fast Times At Ridgemont High is most likely correct.  The enclosed shopping mall became a consumer culture phenomenon in the 1960s and reached its zenith as a pop cultural phenomenon in the 1980s.  I'd say they were still on the upward arc when FTARH was released in 1982.   The "Valley Girl" thing figured strongly in malls becoming a focus and locus of teen life in the 1980s.  Did John Hughes movies imitate life, or did life imitate John Hughes movies?

i don't know if they are less popular now, or simply less novel--i.e. "it's the mall, who cares?"  

Urban department stores such as Woolworth's, Macy's, and Bloomingdale's were the raging consumerist trend prior to the 1960s and the total suburbanization of the American middle class.  

Wal-Mart and Target are discount "department stores" (supplanting K-Mart, Ames, and Bradlee's) of the shopping plaza.  The plaza, with its meterless parking, is more akin to suburbanized, automobile-dependent America than the urban-style department stores. The urban department stores that still thrive (Bloomingdale's, Niemen Marcus) are a different beast, an upscale shopping experience.

Will the mall go the way of Woolworth's or Grant's?  Probably not, unless Americans are forced to give up their cars because gasoline is too expensive.  I have a personal fantasy of a return to the walking city and rail-based mass transit, but most Americans love cars the way I hate them and would rather chew ground glass than walk anywhere.  

In much of the country you will see abandoned malls and malls going out of business.  This has less to do with popularity and more to do with the interior fabric of our country rotting away.  America is on the decline, but somehow our propagandist media manages to keep a lid on this obvious truth.

On-line shopping has taken its toll on some retail goods (e.g. book and record stores), but not others (e.g. apparel and groceries).

Anyway, that's my speculation.  It's a good question you ask, Marty, I wonder what other members think.
???

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/15/05 at 11:10 am

Outlet malls and regulars mall will unfortunatly be overtaken by larger super malls. The nearest mall where I live (Oakville Place) is getting bigger, it even got a larger food court, another mall, where I used to live in Oakville, looks almost empty.

Written By: tv on 06/15/05 at 1:33 pm

Malls going out of styling. Never say that in New Jersey. We got the Short Hills Mall by Chaham, Livingston Mall in Livingston, and Woodbridge Mall in Woodbridge, and the Willowbrook Mall in Wayne. In Jersey no way are malls going out of style in New Jersey. You wil lsee alot of people at malls in Jersey on weekends.

Written By: tv on 06/15/05 at 1:42 pm

I'm noticing alot of stores closing, especially the video/music places and arcades, which is sort of sad since that reminds me of my childhood in the 80's. :(

Yeah the video/arcade places are on the deathbed. Anybody remember Sports Park USA back around 1992-1993? You might remember Sports Park USA if you lived in the New York/New Jersey area back in the early 90's. There was Sports Park USA in Jersey. They had locations in Paramus(on Rotes 17), South Plainfield and in Union(on RT 22 off of Graden State Parkway)as well. Now I have to go down the shore to play the arcades. I wish Sports Park would make a comeback. This way I wouldn't have to be a whole day affair in going down to the Jersey if I want to play video games. The Sports Park in South Plainfield is currently a fitness center.

Written By: Howard on 06/15/05 at 4:21 pm

Malls used to be popular with the teens during the 1980's & 1990's but now with most people having computers and the internet,people do their shopping at home.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/15/05 at 4:26 pm

In the UK teens/etc who wear hoodies and that type of clothing have been banned from the Malls here because apparently they are 'bad for business?'

Anyway since they enforced the ban, business has picked up - and people are pleased not to have gangs of kids wearing hoodies hanging around these places making a nuisance of themselves.

Written By: gemini61 on 06/15/05 at 5:18 pm

If they are becoming less popular, my teenager hasn't figured it out yet!  ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 06/15/05 at 5:29 pm

I think they are becoming less popular because they are all the same...boring.  There are too
many with the same stores so although they will not disappear completely I think you will see
some go and the ones that offer the best service with more of a range of quality and price survive.
Which is the way it should be. ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/15/05 at 5:56 pm

I think they are becoming less popular because they are all the same...boring. 

"All the same and boring" is my complaint about most people, I guess I'm tired of shopping at the human mall!

Written By: NullandVoid on 06/15/05 at 8:20 pm

I could care less really. I always thought it was kinda silly hanging out in malls. Then again we don't really need them here in New York anyway.

Written By: Everlong on 06/16/05 at 12:53 am

I have to say, I don't think malls are becoming less popular at all, but maybe it's just the area I live in?  I live in Southeast Florida, and I have two malls within ten minutes of my house that are normally packed everyday, let alone the ones that are a bit farther away.  There are four other malls that are within 30 minutes from my home, and one of them is the largest in Florida, another on its heals, and another on that one's heals.  And it's very hard to find a parking space near the entrance at any of those.  Maybe it's just the fact that I've grown up with the idea of malls=packed, humongous places that affects my view of them.  Now that I think of it, there's actually about six malls within the area, and then we're also not counting those in Miami...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/16/05 at 9:56 am

when my parents were younger...the "thing" was to shop in "town"  They had big department stores like Troutmans, and small mom & pop stores as well.  Then the malls started being built...and shopping downtown was a thing of the past.  When I was younger, we used to always hang out at the mall, like every Friday night.  Now...we have the strip malls/shopping centers taking over a lot of the business, with your "Walmarts" and "Targets" on every other block, or so it seems.  I don't go to the mall too often, but when I do, it seems like it is still getting a lot of business.....and weekends it's still very much bustling with teenagers.

Erin :)

Written By: Howard on 06/16/05 at 2:33 pm

Maybe people aren't as interested as they used to be.I think the younger generation are actually more interested than the older ones.The older generation have computers and internet so we don't have to step foot outside and shop. ;D

Written By: Guiness on 06/16/05 at 2:36 pm

Well, if you jumble the letters of malls you get small, so that explains a lot.

Written By: Carrie on 06/16/05 at 3:56 pm

In the UK teens/etc who wear hoodies and that type of clothing have been banned from the Malls here because apparently they are 'bad for business?'

Anyway since they enforced the ban, business has picked up - and people are pleased not to have gangs of kids wearing hoodies hanging around these places making a nuisance of themselves.

That is the reason I stay away from the mall... annoying teens that just hang around, get in the way and are not there to do anything but that, because they don't shop, they just... loiter.

I will go to the mall around Christmas or if I need something from a particular store, but why bother shopping there when you can go to other stores outside of the mall that are much cheaper and more convenient. The mall in my town is pathetic. It has hardly any stores in it because the rent is so ungodly high, so of course they have to hike up the prices to make up for it. If I want to go to the mall I go out of town to one of the bigger ones.

Written By: NullandVoid on 06/16/05 at 5:09 pm

Wow, this is one good case of bad stereotyping. I'm offended by men who walk around in shorts so short that their smurfberries occasionally hang out, but you don't see me trying to get a ban on it. What BS!!

Hmmm...I wonder what hoodies and "that" type of clothing means??

*Just for the record, MrT I'm not criticizing you just the fools in the UK

Written By: aerognrjovihalen on 06/16/05 at 11:20 pm

I've noticed that in my area (Chicagoland), the only malls that are sticking around are:
The regional mega malls located in seas of office parks and where people come from miles and miles to shop at (i.e. Woodfield, Oakbrook, Old Orchard)
Ones that are in areas that are seeing substantial growth
Occasionally, those that get facelifts

But what's becoming really popular are outdoor malls.  Sometime's refered to as town centers, they are a little bit smaller than regular malls and feature clusters of upscale clothing and gift boutiques (Abercrombie & Fitch, Chico's, American Eagle, Hollister, Hallmark, Bombay & Co., Pottery Barn, Barnes & Noble) as well as upscale restaurants (irish pubs, tex-mex, italian).  They are extremely popular in Southern Florida.  And there are plenty in Chicagoland: Algonquin Commons, Deer Park Town Center, Geneva Commons, The Glen Town Center.  There are also outdoor malls near Cincinnati, Columbus, West Des Moines, Lansing...and I'm sure there are some in California.

These are the places to be for teens and golf-course grandparents alike.  All the teens like the expensive brand names, right?  And what beats shopping and dining outdoors??

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/16/05 at 11:24 pm

I will go to the mall around Christmas or if I need something from a particular store, but why bother shopping there when you can go to other stores outside of the mall that are much cheaper and more convenient. The mall in my town is pathetic. It has hardly any stores in it because the rent is so ungodly high, so of course they have to hike up the prices to make up for it. If I want to go to the mall I go out of town to one of the bigger ones.

Good point.

I wonder if it was the same thing in the 80's (I imagine it would be) - I wonder why people didn't shop at cheaper places then too? Maybe because of the teen hangout factor.

(Given, they didn't have the Internet back then, so that must've helped. The 'Net exploded around '97 and coincidentally that's about when I started seeing activity at the malls start to drop - even though the major closures didn't begin till like 2002.)

I'm kinda basing this off my own experience -- I grew up in more "suburban" areas north of San Francisco, and those malls were busy all the time in the 80's. I wonder if today it would be slightly busier than at the big city ones (per capita at least!) just 'cause there's less "alternative" places to shop? ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/16/05 at 11:34 pm

Well, I can remember when I was in middle school, it was everybody's worst nightmare to be seen shopping at K-Mart.

LOL, I've heard jokes about that too! ;D

In San Jose, as far as I know, there are no more K-Mart's, but there are Wal-Marts and Targets, which sell just about anything that you can find at the mall. And maybe I'm wrong, since I'm not 12 years old anymore, but I don't hear all the "cheap" jokes about Target & Walmart that I used to hear about Kmart, and I see many school age children in these stores. That is probably one reason the malls have lost popularity.

Yeah, the one on Blossom Hill - near Oakridge, closed about 6 months ago.

We've got tons of Targets but like only 1 or 2 Wal Marts! I always liked those. About 10 years ago when I lived in Sacramento, that was about the time Wal Marts were getting big - there were tons up there by then, so the South Bay needs more too! ;)

Anyway though, I never thought about Target/Walmart taking over, but it makes sense. I always see kids/teens/20-somethings (and well, everyone really) when I go there. You could even well argue that those places are busier than the average mall today.

I'm seeing malls themselves split two ways. Oakridge got that big facelift a couple years ago (which has seemed to help - it was semi dead in the late 90's), whilst ones like Vallco seem to be inching toward extinction. Last time I was there, the bottom level was completely deserted and creepy - not a single open store. I felt like I was in the middle of the Blair Witch Project, LOL! :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/17/05 at 4:29 am

Wow, this is one good case of bad stereotyping. I'm offended by men who walk around in shorts so short that their smurfberries occasionally hang out, but you don't see me trying to get a ban on it. What BS!!

They're called "plum smuggler" shorts!
;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/17/05 at 4:36 am

LOL, I've heard jokes about that too! ;D

Yeah, the one on Blossom Hill - near Oakridge, closed about 6 months ago.

We've got tons of Targets but like only 1 or 2 Wal Marts! I always liked those. About 10 years ago when I lived in Sacramento, that was about the time Wal Marts were getting big - there were tons up there by then, so the South Bay needs more too! ;)

Anyway though, I never thought about Target/Walmart taking over, but it makes sense. I always see kids/teens/20-somethings (and well, everyone really) when I go there. You could even well argue that those places are busier than the average mall today.

I'm seeing malls themselves split two ways. Oakridge got that big facelift a couple years ago (which has seemed to help - it was semi dead in the late 90's), whilst ones like Vallco seem to be inching toward extinction. Last time I was there, the bottom level was completely deserted and creepy - not a single open store. I felt like I was in the middle of the Blair Witch Project, LOL! :D

The small malls built in the '60s and early '70s got knocked out by the mega-malls of the late '70s and the '80s.  There was a mall in Hadley we called the "Dead Mall."  Its anchor stores closed, but the place subsisted on a pet shop, an antiques dealer, a cheap movie theatre, a Chinese restraunt/lounge, and a Papa Gino's.  The shell of the former Almy's department store was rented to a giant weekend flea market for years.  Then a new Cinemaplex put the cheap theatre out of business, and Wal-Mart razed the rest of the place.  There's now Wal-Mart, Pier 1, Michael's, Old Navy, Whole Foods and a few other places there.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/20/05 at 11:26 am

Personally I think giant sized shopping malls are the most soul-less places on Earth.

Written By: Apricot on 06/20/05 at 11:43 am

Malls.. losing popularity? Nah. Ours is, but we're so small, I don't even know why we have one.. it gets enough business to not go under, at least.

I think it's a bit less popular because people are so paranoid that they won't let their kids out as much.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/20/05 at 1:10 pm

We have two huge malls here. I doubt they'll ever go away...I just wish all the little punks that hang out at them would, of course then they'd get back into thier dropped SUVs with the tiny wheels that make them look like matchbox cars, and cruise around with the rap-crap blasting as loud as it can :P

Written By: Apricot on 06/20/05 at 2:02 pm

We have two huge malls here. I doubt they'll ever go away...I just wish all the little punks that hang out at them would, of course then they'd get back into thier dropped SUVs with the tiny wheels that make them look like matchbox cars, and cruise around with the rap-crap blasting as loud as it can :P

Our malls are filled with anarchists, jerks, and fat people.. none like you described, though.. I guess we aren't big enough for that.  :P

Written By: Howard on 06/20/05 at 4:32 pm

My malls are filled with teens! :P

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/20/05 at 5:48 pm

I hate malls. It's just the atmosphere and the sheer (typo?) arrogance of some of the people (especially parent's and their kids) I'd rather spend say $10 more at the shop down the road.  :P

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/20/05 at 11:18 pm

My malls are filled with teens! :P
Hey, nothing wrong with that....we were all teens once. Difference is that MOST of today's teens make me want to offer them a roll of toilet paper for those huge pants they're constantly pulling up that make them look like they have a load in them. Also, they are SO arrogant, foul-mouthed and disrespectful..they need a good @ss whooping :-\\

Written By: Howard on 06/21/05 at 4:00 pm

Hey, nothing wrong with that....we were all teens once. Difference is that MOST of today's teens make me want to offer them a roll of toilet paper for those huge pants they're constantly pulling up that make them look like they have a load in them. Also, they are SO arrogant, foul-mouthed and disrespectful..they need a good @ss whooping :-\\

Is it me Mark or is it that I'm getting older and today's teens are getting much younger? ;D

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/17/06 at 3:18 pm

What, I can't believe that no one refered to this site- Deadmalls.com! http://www.deadmalls.com/.

Anyway I think the reason why that Indoor malls have become unpopular is their inflexiablity. Chain stores don't like to move into old chain stores so they move to shiny and new malls or outdoor shopping plaza's. Out here in the midwest even organized shopping plazas are being replaced by "shopping parks", set up similar to industrial parks. The Wal-Mart\Kohl's shopping area in Clinton, Iowa is a good example of this. 

Written By: Coastal Influence on 05/18/06 at 12:35 am

In looking at it today, it really seems like malls are on the decline. If I'm not mistaken, they started in the early/mid 70's, but their heyday was in the 80's and up till maybe the first half of the 90's.

It actually took me until I was in high school in the late 90's to realize they weren't bustling like "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" anymore (much to my disappointment, LOL). Nowadays, I'm noticing alot of stores closing, especially the video/music places and arcades, which is sort of sad since that reminds me of my childhood in the 80's. :(

I guess my question is, how long do you think they'll be around for? In this area, it's gone one of two ways, (1) those that are kinda just "getting by" but not doing great, and (2) those which have gotten a facelift of sorts, with alot of new shops and restaurants.

PS - One thing about 2015 in BTTF part 2 which actually might be somewhat accurate was the revitalized downtown area of Hill Valley. Compare the semi run-down look of it in 1985 ('cause the Twin/Lone Pine mall was where all the activity was!) with the activity by 2015. It seems to already be happening that way in the real world. ;)

Marty McFly, I miss hanging out at Oak Ridge Mall, I used to hang out there back in the 90's it got a facelift remodel in '95, the other one I liked up there was Valley Fair. I don't know what they're like today. Oak Ridge used to have a very early 70's look with subtle facelifts before '95. I think it was built in '72. I can remember the red and white brick tile and the carpeted pillers. Here in northern Arizona now, the malls look very boring and look like they are on their last legs, even ones that are only 4 years old. I read somewhere, that malls may go back to being out-doors. No more indoor malls.  Eastridge Mall up there used to look like something straight out of the heart of the disco era, circa 1977, rarely did I go there.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/18/06 at 12:51 am

No. Well not here anyway. Apparently malls are more popular right now than the inner city, with over 20(?) malls to choose from, it's easier to just visit the mall, rather than go downtown. Which is sad, as it's nice going downtown, but with downtown slowly dying away, there is no other choice.

Perhaps with urban sprawl slowing down, the focus will be on rebuilding our downtown areas and making that a nicer place to shop and hang out.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/18/06 at 3:13 am

No, not here at least. If you ever go down to the mall on a Saturday who'll be lucky to get out alive! But Big-Box is the thing of the future, unfortunately, even though many traditional 'high street' precincts in city centres are being revived. It's unlikely many new malls with be built in the US, which was already saturated with them, but in emerging countries like the U.A.E. and China malls are popping up every day.

Check for new replies or respond here...