inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Americans Prefer Watching Movies at Home

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/17/05 at 4:32 pm

According to a new survey, 77 percent of Americans prefer to watch DVD, VHS, or pay pre view to going out and seeing a movie, while only 22 percent actually prefer going out to see a movie.

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20050617/111902616000.html

I am wondering how many people here prefer watching DVD, VHS, or pay pre view to going out and seeing a movie, and how many still go out once in awhile to see a movie?

Subject: Re: Americans Prefer Watching Movies at Home

Written By: NullandVoid on 06/17/05 at 5:27 pm

Movie Theater are just getting too expensive. I'd rather go and and buy a DVD. You're walking away with more than just an experience.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/17/05 at 9:07 pm

I totally agree....it sucks to have to pay $10/person to go see a movie nowadays, however, we tend to patronize drive-in movie theaters, you get 2 movies for like $6/person.....also, there are a few bargain theaters around here where you can see a movie for like $5 or so.

Erin :)

Written By: Apricot on 06/17/05 at 9:25 pm

Shoot, my family lives on the movie theater... we have a pimpin' TV, but the movies.. it's like our second home.

Written By: Climber on 06/18/05 at 1:25 am

I like going to the movies, but for the price and selection, it's sometimes not worth it.  Besides, we have a freakin' 52" projection TV, so it's almost like the theater!  :D

Written By: Im Batman on 06/18/05 at 1:39 am

So look for bargain matines.  How about eating before you go to the movies and not pigging out on unhealthy, overpriced concessions, or at least, bring snacks from home?

There is no way the impact of seeing Star Wars Episode III on a large sceen, stereo surround sound, and a full theater, can be reproduced in someone's living room or den on DVD, and I don't care how nice a video center one may have.

This is another example of Americans cacooning in their homes.  God, people can be so boring at times.

Written By: Climber on 06/18/05 at 1:56 am

So look for bargain matines.  How about eating before you go to the movies and not pigging out on unhealthy, overpriced concessions, or at least, bring snacks from home?

There is no way the impact of seeing Star Wars Episode III on a large sceen, stereo surround sound, and a full theater, can be reproduced in someone's living room or den on DVD, and I don't care how nice a video center one may have.

This is another example of Americans cacooning in their homes.  God, people can be so boring at times.

As I said before, with the selection out there, it's not always worth it.  I did not say I cocoon myself at home.  Besides, not everyone is a Star Wars fan.  I personally couldn't care less about it. 

Written By: Howard on 06/18/05 at 4:30 pm

I would prefer watching movies at home sometimes.Going out to see a movie costs between $9.00-$10.00 these days and to get popcorn and coke would cost another $3-4 dollars so you're actually saving yourself a bunch of money right there. ;)

Written By: Webstor on 06/19/05 at 8:51 pm

I LOVE going to the movie theater.  I've got to get there at least in time to see the previews, and grab my huge popcorn and drink!

It's my version of gettin high....I love it.  As for the selection....sometimes it can be pretty slim pickens....thats why they should re-release older movies more often.

Written By: Howard on 06/20/05 at 4:37 pm

I used to go to the movies to see the first matinee showing and it was cheaper back then but now I guess more people are watching DVDs at home.I don't blame them.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/20/05 at 7:20 pm

The last movie I saw was Madagascar, and that was last week.

Written By: Howard on 06/21/05 at 4:02 pm

You can have your very own movie theater at home.Buy some popcorn,soda and candies and there you have it. :)

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 06/22/05 at 12:02 pm

I'd rather go and and buy a DVD.

Yeah, especially all that Matt Damon and Orlando Bloom movies. :D

Written By: Howard on 06/22/05 at 4:35 pm

I think within the next 10 years or so,Movie Theaters will be phased out completely.

Written By: TC1970 on 06/23/05 at 5:48 am

I would much rather curl up on my couch wearing my sluming clothes watching a movie, rather then sit in an over crowded movie theater. :)

Written By: Howard on 06/23/05 at 2:34 pm

It's better to have some peace and quiet at home than to sit in a loud movie theater and listen to people's cell phones go off,kids screaming,babies crying and what have you. ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/23/05 at 7:52 pm

It's better to have some peace and quiet at home than to sit in a loud movie theater and listen to people's cell phones go off,kids screaming,babies crying and what have you. ::)

I know what you mean.  The what have you is the WORST!

;D ;D

LB

Written By: Howard on 06/24/05 at 5:22 pm

I know what you mean.  The what have you is the WORST!

;D ;D

LB

you're at home,nobody bothers you and you have all the peace and quiet in the world.

Check for new replies or respond here...