inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Parents of Babies Please Read This

Written By: danootaandme on 06/23/05 at 5:05 pm

This is extremely important-and a national disgrace.  I'm putting in one paragraph but you must read
the whole article by Robert F Kennedy Jr. 

www.commondreams.org/views05/0616-31.htm

The federal officials and industry representatives had assembled to discuss a disturbing new study that raised alarming questions about the safety of a host of common childhood vaccines administered to infants and young children. According to a CDC epidemiologist named Tom Verstraeten, who had analyzed the agency's massive database containing the medical records of 100,000 children, a mercury-based preservative in the vaccines -- thimerosal -- appeared to be responsible for a dramatic increase in autism and a host of other neurological disorders among children. "I was actually stunned by what I saw," Verstraeten told those assembled at Simpsonwood, citing the staggering number of earlier studies that indicate a link between thimerosal and speech delays, attention-deficit disorder, hyperactivity and autism. Since 1991, when the CDC and the FDA had recommended that three additional vaccines laced with the preservative be given to extremely young infants -- in one case, within hours of birth -- the estimated number of cases of autism had increased fifteenfold, from one in every 2,500 children to one in 166 children.

Subject: Re: Parents of Babies Please Read This

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/23/05 at 6:30 pm

I am not surprised. But, one question remains, why aren't there more cases? Are some children more susceptible than others? I have a six year old and he is a normal and healthy child. While I feel extremely blessed, I often wonder why certain children suffer.

Tanya

Written By: danootaandme on 06/23/05 at 6:49 pm

They do know that for some reason more boys are suseptible than girls and I would think that a jump from 1 in 2,500, before 1991, to 1 in 166 is enough to more than enough to acknowledge a problem. It was in 1991 that additional vaccines with a higher concentration of mercury stabilizer was added.  I wish I knew why certain childern suffer since my child is one of those children.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/23/05 at 10:33 pm

there have been loads of studies on this subject.  A chiropractor that I used to work for has numerous books concerning these studies, etc.  He chose not to have his children vaccinated...and so have I. Vaughn has not and never will receive those horrible things!

Erin :)

Written By: danootaandme on 06/24/05 at 5:43 am

there have been loads of studies on this subject.  A chiropractor that I used to work for has numerous books concerning these studies, etc.  He chose not to have his children vaccinated...and so have I. Vaughn has not and never will receive those horrible things!

They are taking the mercury out of the vaccines now.  The two edged sword is that the diseases they
conquered were/are devestating.  In a year or two they may be safe, but if you do not inted to vaccinate
it may be wise not to travel out of the country to places where these diseases still appear

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/24/05 at 9:23 am

They are taking the mercury out of the vaccines now.  The two edged sword is that the diseases they
conquered were/are devestating.  In a year or two they may be safe, but if you do not inted to vaccinate
it may be wise not to travel out of the country to places where these diseases still appear

well...we have no plans to do so, so he will be just fine.  Although they SAY that they are "cleaning" up the vaccinations...I still wouldn't trust them too much..but that's just my opinion.

Written By: Powerslave on 06/24/05 at 10:35 pm

Mercury hasn't been used as a preservative in vaccines for decades. Autism isn't caused by vaccinations. It is not a medically-acquired condition. It's a genetic disorder. Anti-vaccinations have been toting this lie for years. The only vaccination that is required to be given to a child "within hours of birth" is Hepatitis B vaccine. The rise in the numbers of autistic children isn't caused by vaccination. The numbers are higher now because it's being diagnosed more -- that's all. Not because more kids have it.

Erin - I hope your children never get diptheria, whooping cough, tetanus or polio because of your choice not to protect them from it. These diseases don't occur "in other countries". They're everywhere, and the cases of infection are rising because people aren't vaccinating against them. Everytime I get in my car, there's a chance I'll be killed in an accident. That doesn't stop me driving. When you vaccinate a child, there's an infinitely remote chance that they will develop a severe reaction. That shouldn't stop you from doing it.

There is no themirosal in vaccine. Anyone who says there is, is a liar.

As an adjunct to this, I was vaccinated as a child at a time when mercury was still being used as a preservative. So were all my friends and everyone I went to school with. None of them developed autism or "neurological complaints" as children. My oldest daughter and my brother's three kids have all been immunized. None of them are autistic. I've seen what whooping cough does to babies. I don't want that happening to my baby.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/24/05 at 10:53 pm

Mercury hasn't been used as a preservative in vaccines for decades. Autism isn't caused by vaccinations. It is not a medically-acquired condition. It's a genetic disorder. Anti-vaccinations have been toting this lie for years. The only vaccination that is required to be given to a child "within hours of birth" is Hepatitis B vaccine. The rise in the numbers of autistic children isn't caused by vaccination. The numbers are higher now because it's being diagnosed more -- that's all. Not because more kids have it.

Erin - I hope your children never get diptheria, whooping cough, tetanus or polio because of your choice not to protect them from it. These diseases don't occur "in other countries". They're everywhere, and the cases of infection are rising because people aren't vaccinating against them. Everytime I get in my car, there's a chance I'll be killed in an accident. That doesn't stop me driving. When you vaccinate a child, there's an infinitely remote chance that they will develop a severe reaction. That shouldn't stop you from doing it.

As an adjunct to this, I was vaccinated as a child at a time when mercury was still being used as a preservative. So were all my friends and everyone I went to school with. None of them developed autism or "neurological complaints" as children. My oldest daughter and my brother's three kids have all been immunized. None of them are autistic. I've seen what whooping cough does to babies. I don't want that happening to my baby.

every child that I know personally, that gets vaccinated..are nothing but sick...ALL THE TIME.  My husbands niece being one of them...everytime she gets her shots, she comes home sick as a dog...and she is ALWAYS sick. My little boy is barely EVER sick....and when he does get a cold or flu, or whatever....he jumps back right away.  Humans have natural immune systems, they were born with them for a reason.  My little boy isn't like those that get their "shots"...he is very healthy. He has already had chicken pox (and he just turned 3)...and he jumped back from that in record time.  Vaccinations are a money making scheme.....just think how many people would be out of jobs...and out of money if these were to be stopped.  They tell you that your child NEEDS them and is in danger without them...that is a bunch of bull S H I T.  I have heard and read of enough studies to definitely believe that they are more bad than good.  I truly believe that the cause of autism and vaccinations go somewhat hand in hand...and nobody can change my mind on that issue. You never even heard of autism when we were all younger...and now all of a sudden there are TONS of autistic and or children with ADHD running around everywhere.  Nobody knows for definite sure what exactly is being injected into your child...they can tell you what they want you to hear.
I respect yours and others opinions that may be different from my own...but I will NOT change my opinion on the matter. My little boy will be fine, that's for sure.

Written By: Powerslave on 06/24/05 at 11:10 pm

I looked up autism and I discovered that I was wrong. It's not a genetic disorder. BUt guess what: no one knows what causes it. Here's part of one article I found on it:

"Vaccine theory
The Wakefield Study: Controversial research by Andrew Wakefield in the UK, published in The Lancet in February 1998 suggested a possible link between autism and the MMR vaccine. The original research has come under criticism, largely due to a conflict of interest on Wakefield's part (http://briandeer.com/mmr-lancet.htm). In February 2004 The Lancet described the research as "entirely flawed", said that it should never have been published, and 12 of the original 14 authors of the paper retracted their claims. Critics with statistical skills have claimed that Wakefield's study contains many obvious flaws, including an inability to recognize bias in his sample. Controversy continues, with Wakefield continuing to defend his theory.

Contradictory evidence: Although the fact that the Wakefield study is flawed does not in itself prove that no autism-vaccine connection exists, further research suggests that the theory is most likely false. Several independent groups have conducted thorough investigations into the possible link, including the National Academy of Sciences, and concluded that the evidence does not support a link between the MMR vaccine and autism. Studies that offer contradictory evidence include:

--A study by Gillberg and Heijbel (1998) examined the prevalence of autism in children born in Sweden from 1975-1984. There was no difference in the prevalence of autism among children born before the introduction of the MMR vaccine in Sweden and those born after the vaccine was introduced.

--Madsen et al. (2002) conducted a study of all children born in Denmark from January 1991 through December 1998. There were a total of 537,303 children in the study; 440,655 of the children were vaccinated with MMR and 96,648 were not. The researchers did not find a higher risk of autism in the vaccinated than in the unvaccinated group of children.

--A study by Gillberg and Heijbel (1998) examined the prevalence of autism in children born in Sweden from 1975-1984. There was no difference in the prevalence of autism among children born before the introduction of the MMR vaccine in Sweden and those born after the vaccine was introduced.

Research in the US suggesting a similar link between autism and DPT vaccine. It isn't however the large majority of autism that would come from vaccines, unlike early claims from Wakefield."

Also, autism ranges in scope from extremely mild introversion and slow learning development to extreme retardation. As I said in my other post, the reason we hear more about autism these days is because it's diagnosed more. When I was a kid, only those with extreme autism were being diagnosed. Now the SCIENCE knows more about it, it's being discovered in more people. No one knew what ADD and ADHD were thirty years ago either. That doesn't mean they didn't exist. Again, I've seen what whooping cough can do, and I've know people who lost their kids to diptheria. My oldest daughter had a lump on her arm for months after one of her shots when she was 4, but she has never been seriously ill in her life. If you don't want to immunize your children, don't. I don't care. But you better pray they never come in contact with the diseases these things are designed to destroy.

Written By: Powerslave on 06/24/05 at 11:16 pm

Oh, I will also mention that MMR and 'flu vaccine both contain egg products are preservatives (not mercury), and therefore should not be given to children (or anyone) who are allegeric to egg products. My wife's family has a history of egg allergies, so we will need to get Jazynthe tested for it before she gets MMR. She can't be allergy tested until she's six months old, but as MMR isn't given until a child is 15 months old, this won't be a problem and if she is allergic to egg, she won't get that shot. With any luck, we can keep her away from any really bad cases of measles, which kills 850,000 people a year.

Written By: Jessica on 06/25/05 at 4:13 am

Jason is four months old and has already had his vaccinations, and you know what? He's perfectly fine. Sure, he was a bit cranky and stuff after getting them (who wouldn't be after four shots?), but he didn't get sick or do anything like that. He's a normal little boy, despite being a complete pain in the a$$ already...just like his mother.

Written By: Powerslave on 06/25/05 at 8:04 am

Since my last post, I've been reading quite a lot about autism. My first assertion could well be correct, because I've since discovered that there is evidence it could be a genetic disorder, and therefore hereditary. This would aco(I_am_a_loser_who_has_no_respect_for_women) for why boys get it more than girls, because it may be recessive, and therefore only passed on if both parents carry the gene. If this is true, then vaccination can't be responsible for it.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 06/25/05 at 6:49 pm

My 3 year old has had all his shots and is very healthy and so far never really has gotten sick.  Just colds here and there.
So far we are getting the new baby shots at each appt and she is doing fine with them too. 

Written By: Powerslave on 06/25/05 at 11:06 pm

Well I had all my shots as a baby, so did my brother, and so did all our kids. And they're all fine. Funny that, isn't it?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/25/05 at 11:10 pm

Well I had all my shots as a baby, so did my brother, and so did all our kids. And they're all fine. Funny that, isn't it?

then WHY are there SO many studies out that prove that they are bad? There has to be at least SOME truth to all of it, wouldn't you agree to at least that much...that perhaps everything that they inject into children may NOT be the best for them?  I mean, that's fine if you prefer having vaccinations administered to your children, etc...and I realize that I am definitely the minority concerning this topic....but that's just what I believe and I think that everyone has that right. I am not "dissing" you for your decision, so please don't make my decision make me sound like I am the "idiot".

Erin

Written By: Powerslave on 06/26/05 at 4:53 pm

then WHY are there SO many studies out that prove that they are bad?

Most of the studies that "prove" immunisation is bad are conducted by people who are opposed to it, like the Wakefield study, in which he manipulated results and tainted evidence to get the "proof" he needed. His study has since been debunked by more accurate independent studies. Wakefield was the guy who got this whole "immunization causes autism" rubbish started in the first place, and his resulted have been proved flawed, therefore not actually proving anything. If you want to prove something, you can interpret statistics to mean anything you like. As I said earlier, the reason more people are diagnosed autistic these days is because we know more about it now. People who wouldn't have been diagnosed autistic twenty years ago now are, because we now know that's what's wrong with them. That's why the statistics change. As far as my defence of vaccinations goes, myself, my brother, my wife, his wife, my daughter, her brother and sisters, and my nieces and nephews have all been immunized. That's 13 people that I know personally who are very close to me, and none of them have developed any serious side effects to any immunization at all. If vaccination was so dangerous, at least one of them would have come down with something. But none of them have. Also, you have to remember that people take far more notice of a study that "proves" something is bad, than they do of something that proves it's okay. If you don't want your children injected with things, that's your choice, but make the choice for the right reasons.

Written By: Powerslave on 06/26/05 at 4:58 pm

This is extremely important-and a national disgrace.  I'm putting in one paragraph but you must read
the whole article by Robert F Kennedy Jr. 

www.commondreams.org/views05/0616-31.htm

The federal officials and industry representatives had assembled to discuss a disturbing new study that raised alarming questions about the safety of a host of common childhood vaccines administered to infants and young children. According to a CDC epidemiologist named Tom Verstraeten, who had analyzed the agency's massive database containing the medical records of 100,000 children, a mercury-based preservative in the vaccines -- thimerosal -- appeared to be responsible for a dramatic increase in autism and a host of other neurological disorders among children. "I was actually stunned by what I saw," Verstraeten told those assembled at Simpsonwood, citing the staggering number of earlier studies that indicate a link between thimerosal and speech delays, attention-deficit disorder, hyperactivity and autism. Since 1991, when the CDC and the FDA had recommended that three additional vaccines laced with the preservative be given to extremely young infants -- in one case, within hours of birth -- the estimated number of cases of autism had increased fifteenfold, from one in every 2,500 children to one in 166 children.

I just found this, a disclaimer appended to both the Salon.com and Rolling Stone issues that carried Kennedy's "story":

NOTE: This story has been updated to correct several inaccuracies in the original, published version. As originally reported, American preschoolers received only three vaccinations before 1989, but the article failed to note that they were innoculated a total of eleven times with those vaccines, including boosters. The article also misstated the level of ethylmercury received by infants injected with all their shots by the age of six months. It was 187 micrograms - an amount forty percent, not 187 times, greater than the EPA's limit for daily exposure to methylmercury. Finally, because of an editing error, the article misstated the contents of the rotavirus vaccine approved by the CDC. It did not contain thimerosal. Salon and Rolling Stone regret the errors.

An earlier version of this story stated that the Institute of Medicine convened a second panel to review the work of the Immunization Safety Review Committee that had found no evidence of a link between thimerosal and autism. In fact, the IOM convened the second panel to address continuing concerns about the Vaccine Safety Datalink Data Sharing program, including those raised by critics of the IOM's earlier work. But the panel was not charged with reviewing the committee's findings. The story also inadvertently omitted a word and transposed two sentences in a quote by Dr. John Clements, and incorrectly stated that Dr. Sam Katz held a patent with Merck on the measles vaccine. In fact, Dr. Katz was part of a team that developed the vaccine and brought it to licensure, but he never held the patent. Salon and Rolling Stone regret the errors.

Written By: MOd on 11/21/05 at 10:58 am

A filthy stinking LIAR!!! Thats what you are if you say that...a LIAR!!!!!!!!!

Written By: danootaandme on 11/21/05 at 11:33 am

That is because it was phased out beginning in 1999.  It will take a couple of years  before any definitive data on the link between the prevalance of autism can be established.  California did begin a study though
and in 2003 and 2004 saw a decline in the rate of increase.  Since it would take a couple of years for any change to show itself, diagnoses for autism is usually at the age of approximately 3 years, the fact that three years from the beginning of the phase out, the the increase in the incidence of autism begins to
level off has given pause to even the most vocal critics of the themirosal ban.

Written By: barefootrobin on 11/21/05 at 4:43 pm

When the vial containing the "shot" is dipped into numerous times for numerous patients, there will be thimerosol in the solution.  I just had a flu shot with it in it. ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/21/05 at 8:47 pm

RFK, Jr. is a good man.  I have a great deal of respect for him.  Did you know he had to overcome a terrible speech impediment?  He could barely talk his stammer was so bad.  That's why his voice sounds so froggy.

It's not just mercury from immunizaton shots, it's mercury, other heavy metals, and poisonous compounds leeching into our entire ecology that scares me!  RFK, Jr. has made a mission of raising consciousness about these problems and the devastation they visit upon children.  The steep increase in autism is terrifying.
Asthma is everywhere now.  RFK's kids suffer from asthma.  When I was in school, perhaps one student had asthma.  Now they have special sections for everybody's inhalers and stuff!
:o

Written By: TarzSp on 11/22/05 at 12:10 am

Parents of Babies Please Read This

I would sure hope that every Parent here is the Parent of a Baby....I woulden't want them to be Parents of Animals or Aliens  :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/22/05 at 3:39 am

I would sure hope that every Parent here is the Parent of a Baby....I woulden't want them to be Parents of Animals or Aliens

Written By: danootaandme on 11/22/05 at 7:53 am

I would sure hope that every Parent here is the Parent of a Baby....I woulden't want them to be Parents of Animals or Aliens  :P

Some parents are parents of adults.  One thing about being a parent though, you can be 102, and
the child you had can be 80 and that old person is still your baby.  ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/22/05 at 2:05 pm

I happily had my son vaccinated. I heard about the commotion over it, and completely disregard it.  I think RFK Jr is way off with this whole thing.

There is still a very minute amount of mercury in one or two of the vaccines, but at concentration levels so low, that it's more likely my son will get exposure in nature in higher levels. I'm more concerned with the levels of mercury in the water and in fish than I am in a vaccination.

One of the problems with the studies of the effects, is that autism doesn't present signs until around age 3.  Age 3 is when most of the vaccinations have been completed, so the coincidence helps re-enforce the misconceptions.

I asked the doctor about it, and she's up to date on all the literature.  There is no conclusive evidence, and at this point most vaccines don't have anything that could be connected with autism. 

If you don't vaccinate your kid, the schools won't admit him.  A lot of doctors will also refuse treatment, because it's a sign you don't trust them.  My doctor studies medicine.  RFK Jr doesn't, Nightline doesn't, and I don't.  Therefore, the doctor's opinion is the one I go by. It should be criminal to refuse vaccinations for your child based on such little evidence. 

Written By: danootaandme on 11/22/05 at 2:25 pm

I happily had my son vaccinated. I heard about the commotion over it, and completely disregard it.  I think RFK Jr is way off with this whole thing.

There is still a very minute amount of mercury in one or two of the vaccines, but at concentration levels so low, that it's more likely my son will get exposure in nature in higher levels. I'm more concerned with the levels of mercury in the water and in fish than I am in a vaccination.

One of the problems with the studies of the effects, is that autism doesn't present signs until around age 3.  Age 3 is when most of the vaccinations have been completed, so the coincidence helps re-enforce the misconceptions.

I asked the doctor about it, and she's up to date on all the literature.  There is no conclusive evidence, and at this point most vaccines don't have anything that could be connected with autism. 

If you don't vaccinate your kid, the schools won't admit him.  A lot of doctors will also refuse treatment, because it's a sign you don't trust them.  My doctor studies medicine.  RFK Jr doesn't, Nightline doesn't, and I don't.  Therefore, the doctor's opinion is the one I go by. It should be criminal to refuse vaccinations for your child based on such little evidence. 

No one advocates the complete disregard of vaccinations.  But there are many who question the number and timing of them. The issue of themarisol is now moot since it has been phased out by the
drug companies beginning in1999.  I do have a healthy scepticism when it comes to the drug companies and am old enough to remember thalidomide and DES.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/22/05 at 6:25 pm

If you don't vaccinate your kid, the schools won't admit him.

Written By: barefootrobin on 11/23/05 at 10:09 am

Sticking chemicals in littles babies is wrong on so many levels.  Japan stopped immunizing prior to the age of 2 and zoomed from 17th to first place in infant mortality in the world. This means that Japan moved lowest infant mortality rate in the world. 

When in 1988 Japanese parents were given the choice to start vaccinating between 3 months and 4 years, obviously many parents started at 3 months because the low SIDS rate increased fourfold in the last 13 years (Byron Shire Echo; June 1994). The article quoted Professor Hiroshi Nishida of Tokyo Women's Medical College, who said that the SIDS rate among babies aged under 1 year had sharply increased to 0.33 % in 1992 when compared with 0.07 % in 1980.

Children who are not immunized until they are 1 or 2 are less likely to have learning disabilities, process food energy better and are less likely to die of SIDS.

Immunize yes - but why so little?

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/23/05 at 2:00 pm

Actually that is not true. My mother is a school nurse for a very large public school district. They tell parents this "lie" just to worry them into vaccinating their children.  Every parent has the right NOT to have their child vaccinated, and the only thing that you have to do is sign a paper that states that it is against your beliefs to have your child vaccinated...and the school HAS to admit your child.  My little boy does NOT get vaccinated and neither did my sister and my mom didn't have much trouble at all when it came to the schools, etc....also, Vaughn's doctor knows that he doesn't get them and she has never given me any hype regarding the issue.  I have MANY opinions regarding this matter, but it is a delicate one to me and I prefer not getting into a debate over it, I just wanted to put my insight in regarding the fact that it IS the parent's right and the school HAS to admit them.

Maybe in your state, but in Massachusetts it's state law that they have to receive a HepB immune shot.  The rest aren't required, but that one is.

Written By: Satish on 11/24/05 at 7:54 pm

Does this mean I shouldn't get my flu shot this winter?  :-\\

There's more pressure to get one this year, what with the threat of a bird flu pandemic, and all.

Written By: barefootrobin on 11/24/05 at 8:20 pm

Does this mean I shouldn't get my flu shot this winter?

Written By: Satish on 11/24/05 at 8:43 pm

Unless you're a little tiny baby (and I'm assuming you're not) you're safe! ::)

Mercury's harmful to adults too, you know.

Written By: barefootrobin on 11/24/05 at 8:56 pm

Mercury's harmful to adults too, you know.

The amount of Mercury in a "shot" is about the same as a trout from a lake in up north Canada, people eat em all the time - no problem - for adults......

Written By: Powerslave on 11/25/05 at 5:43 pm

Sticking chemicals in littles babies is wrong on so many levels.

Written By: whitewolf on 11/26/05 at 7:56 am

Sticking chemicals in littles babies is wrong on so many levels.

Written By: whitewolf on 11/26/05 at 8:01 am

What? Immunisation causes SIDS now? Is there anything it doesn't cause? Diphtheria maybe? Tetanus? Polio? But we don't need to protect our kids from thoses diseases, because they only occur in the Third World, and measles isn't very harmful.

Those diseases rarely show up in first ot second world countries because of the immunizations.
If we stopped all immunizations, they will be seen here again.
Measles can cause death.

http://www.cdc.gov/nip/diseases/measles/faqs.htm

Why is vaccination necessary?

Before the measles vaccine became available, there were approximately 450,000 measles cases and an average of 450 measles-associated deaths were reported each year. Widespread use of measles vaccine has led to a greater than 99% reduction in measles cases in the U.S. compared with the pre-vaccine era.

However, measles is common in other countries where it spreads rapidly and can be easily brought into the U.S. If vaccinations were stopped, measles would return to pre-vaccine levels in the U.S. and hundreds of people would die from measles-related illnesses.

Is measles still a problem in the United States?

We still see measles among visitors to the U.S. and among U.S. travelers returning from other countries. The measles viruses these travelers bring into our country sometimes causes outbreaks. However, because most people in the U.S. have been vaccinated, these outbreaks are usually small.

Measles vaccination in the U.S. has decreased the number of cases to the lowest point ever reported. Widespread use of the measles vaccine has led to a greater than 99% reduction in measles compared with the pre-vaccine era when approximately 450,000 cases and 450 deaths were reported each year.

If the chance of the diseases is so low, why do I need the vaccine?

It is true that vaccination has enabled us to reduce measles and most other vaccine-preventable diseases to very low levels in the United States. However, measles is still very common

Written By: barefootrobin on 11/29/05 at 2:24 pm

I found the article you are referring to.

http://www.whale.to/vaccines/scheibner1.html

I wouldn't listen to it, one part they are even implying that "Shaken Baby Syndrome" is also caused be vaccinations.

2. SIDS is a rather rubbery diagnosis and the figures can be and are manipulated. However, the total infant deaths are a bit more difficult to manipulate. The definition of SIDS is a death of a child unexpected by history and with insufficient determination of cause of death. So, it depends on the degree of damage whether the infant death will be diagnosed as Sudden Infant Death Syndrome or pneumonitis, bronchiolitis, brain edema etc. With the increasing number of vaccines administered as part of the "routine" now, we shall see increasing numbers of babies with very serious reactions to vaccines and they will not be diagnosed as SIDS. We already see it in the epidemic of Shaken Baby Syndrome, when babies develop serious brain and other haemorrhages and die or remain seriously damaged and the parents are being accused of causing it by allegedly shaking their babies to death (Scheibner 1998).

This of course is not the only information on Japan's statistics upon changing the immunization ages, I just quick referenced it.  There are many cases of aspergers and autism in my family (including my son) so we have chosen to not immunize our babies prior to age 2 (among many other preventative steps) - we simply feel there is an intolerence to chemicals that runs rampant through our family and unless science tells us otherwise, we will note all research, opinions and statistics that might help prevent asperger's or autism.......

Written By: Powerslave on 12/04/05 at 6:55 am

Those diseases rarely show up in first ot second world countries because of the immunizations.
If we stopped all immunizations, they will be seen here again.
Measles can cause death.

I was being facetious. I support immunization. Both my children were immunized, as was I. So was my brother, my wife, his wife, my wife's sister and all their kids. That's 15 people that I know personally. Not a single one of them is autistic. If autism was this terrible epidemic that was caused by vaccines, you would expect that at least one of those people would have it. None of them do. Also, that baloney about the relationship between immunization and SIDS is hearsay.

Immunization protects us from diphtheria, polio, tetanus and whooping cough. It also lessens the severity of mumps and measles and helps prevent meningitis. This is a known fact. That it causes autism and SIDS is unproven. It is hearsay. There is no proof. The very fact that it has not had a single side-effect on any one in my immediate family, nor among more than 30 other people that I know personally, is proof enough for me that immunization isn't dangerous.

Written By: barefootrobin on 12/05/05 at 1:14 pm

I was being facetious. I support immunization. Both my children were immunized, as was I. So was my brother, my wife, his wife, my wife's sister and all their kids. That's 15 people that I know personally. Not a single one of them is autistic. If autism was this terrible epidemic that was caused by vaccines, you would expect that at least one of those people would have it. None of them do. Also, that baloney about the relationship between immunization and SIDS is hearsay.

Immunization protects us from diphtheria, polio, tetanus and whooping cough. It also lessens the severity of mumps and measles and helps prevent meningitis. This is a known fact. That it causes autism and SIDS is unproven. It is hearsay. There is no proof. The very fact that it has not had a single side-effect on any one in my immediate family, nor among more than 30 other people that I know personally, is proof enough for me that immunization isn't dangerous.

Reasearch is never based on hearsay - the causes of Autism and SIDS are suspected and varied and the research with regard to immunization and the direct link to both is ongoing.  In other words, there is more than one casue.  Despite the Aspergers in my family I am pro immunization, just not at such a young age.  With regard to the correlation between SIDS and early immunization, it was statistics that prompted the research, not hearsay.  Of the 30 people that you know are there any learning disabilities?  Food intolerances?  If so, do you know the causes?

Written By: lostabyss777 on 06/30/08 at 2:03 am

Powerslave, i just have to say this, you are wrong. i know that is a bit extreme but it is true.

Thimerosal is still in vaccines. infact it is still in common ones like flu and tetanus shots. not only that but pregnant women are encouraged to take the flu vaccines which would diseminate the mercury across the placenta and into the fetus, which cant be good. on top of that, if the mercury were not removed, would you know? did you personally test each and every vaccine you or your family has taken? not only that but have you ever seen the similarities between mercury poisoning and autism? they are virtually identical. it is as simple as linking food poisoning to a bad pork chop you ate.

Just because no one in your family has had a reaction to the vaccines does not mean anything. other people can, and do have reactions and when they do, they can be severe. since the amount of shots that are required has gone up, so has autism rates. i do realize some of that is due to a wider criteria of autism, but that doesnt explain how 1:150 people have autism. 1 in 150 people cant function normally in society, something has to cause it, it cant all be wished away by genetic factors or by blaming parents (which was the original theory for autism). something environmental has to be causing this period.

on another note, the vaccine-autism link has not actually been disproved like so many governmental officials have said, certain government sponsored studies found no evidence to support the theory, but having no proof does not disprove a theory, thats why it is a theory. and if it were proven that vaccines caused autism, the government would stand to lose alot of money, like supporting over 2 million people with free healthcare and services for life, as well as a method proven to prevent deadly or harmful diseases. the only reason the governemtn settled the case of the vaccine causing autism in the POLING case was that the father was a neurologist and the mother was a lawyer and nurse and they documented their child's health.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/30/08 at 5:18 pm

Powerslave, i just have to say this, you are wrong. i know that is a bit extreme but it is true.

Thimerosal is still in vaccines. infact it is still in common ones like flu and tetanus shots. not only that but pregnant women are encouraged to take the flu vaccines which would diseminate the mercury across the placenta and into the fetus, which cant be good. on top of that, if the mercury were not removed, would you know? did you personally test each and every vaccine you or your family has taken? not only that but have you ever seen the similarities between mercury poisoning and autism? they are virtually identical. it is as simple as linking food poisoning to a bad pork chop you ate.

Just because no one in your family has had a reaction to the vaccines does not mean anything. other people can, and do have reactions and when they do, they can be severe. since the amount of shots that are required has gone up, so has autism rates. i do realize some of that is due to a wider criteria of autism, but that doesnt explain how 1:150 people have autism. 1 in 150 people cant function normally in society, something has to cause it, it cant all be wished away by genetic factors or by blaming parents (which was the original theory for autism). something environmental has to be causing this period.

on another note, the vaccine-autism link has not actually been disproved like so many governmental officials have said, certain government sponsored studies found no evidence to support the theory, but having no proof does not disprove a theory, thats why it is a theory. and if it were proven that vaccines caused autism, the government would stand to lose alot of money, like supporting over 2 million people with free healthcare and services for life, as well as a method proven to prevent deadly or harmful diseases. the only reason the governemtn settled the case of the vaccine causing autism in the POLING case was that the father was a neurologist and the mother was a lawyer and nurse and they documented their child's health.

Let me ask you this question.  Members of the Amish community do not permit their children to be vaccinated.  Yet, they have one of the highest percentages of children with Autism in the U.S.

Autism is also a catch all phrase.  There are at least a dozen forms of it.  Most forms of Autism are mild and the person still functions very well.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/30/08 at 9:26 pm

Anyone who takes the antivaccination quacks seriously, and doubly so if they're getting their "medical" information from blogs, should add Respectful Insolence to their blog rotation, if for nothing else than an alternative point of view.

The author is one of the best debunkers of pseudoscience and quackery I've ever read.  You don't have to have a Ph.D. in organic chemistry to understand him (well, for some of his posts, you probably do), but the writing is clear, concise, and his wit is razor-sharp when it comes to skewering the purveyors of the woo.

Written By: lostabyss77 on 07/01/08 at 3:01 pm

Reynolds, where did you get that information? i can not find ANY information that has said that the Amish have higher rates of autism anywhere! in fact, all i can find are rates ranging from 1:10000 to 1:20000

im curious to your source of information as to Amish having the highest rate of autism.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/02/08 at 7:46 am

Reynolds, where did you get that information? i can not find ANY information that has said that the Amish have higher rates of autism anywhere! in fact, all i can find are rates ranging from 1:10000 to 1:20000

im curious to your source of information as to Amish having the highest rate of autism.

I'm from Lancaster County and I know people in the medical field who work specifically with the Amish. Look into research done at Millersville University if you will.

Written By: lostabyss777 on 07/02/08 at 3:32 pm

did you mean this report done in Lancaster?:

http://www.nomercury.org/science/documents/Articles/UPI-The_Age_of_Autism-Mercury_and_the_Amish_5-21-05.pdf

the one that specifically states that autism among the amish is extremely low, as little as 1% of the population?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/02/08 at 3:34 pm

did you mean this report done in Lancaster?:

http://www.nomercury.org/science/documents/Articles/UPI-The_Age_of_Autism-Mercury_and_the_Amish_5-21-05.pdf

the one that specifically states that autism among the amish is extremely low, as little as 1% of the population?

No, that's not the one I meant.  Did it say Millersville University?

Written By: lostabyss777 on 07/02/08 at 10:53 pm

then what report? i can not find it on their site...

Written By: danootaandme on 07/03/08 at 3:40 am

A very heavy genetic component would seem to present itself in any study of the Amish.

Written By: STUCKONYOU on 07/03/08 at 12:36 pm

They say you can have mercury but at small dosages. Like a lot of fish like tuna and sushi have mercury and people say not to eat a lot of it because it's not good.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/03/08 at 3:00 pm

A very heavy genetic component would seem to present itself in any study of the Amish.

Which is why people who want to study rare genetic disorders come to Lancaster.  The gene pool is a small puddle.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/03/08 at 3:06 pm

then what report? i can not find it on their site...

You might have to go to their research archives in person. ;D  Oh very well, I'm going to be near there this week.  I'll see if they're willing to copy it.  The reason why it may not be on the website is because it would be disrespectful to the Amish Community.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/03/08 at 3:31 pm

You might have to go to their research archives in person. ;D  Oh very well, I'm going to be near there this week.  I'll see if they're willing to copy it.  The reason why it may not be on the website is because it would be disrespectful to the Amish Community.

The Amish have the intarwebs!?!?!  :o

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/03/08 at 3:37 pm

The Amish have the intarwebs!?!?!  :o

No they don't.  However because the Amish are a religion and very private ya gotta be careful what ya do.  All those photos of Amish you see in travel guides were taken without their permission.  Pictures are graven images big no no.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/03/08 at 3:38 pm

Ah yes, I have refrained from taking pictures of the Amish after I learned that it wasn't nice.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/03/08 at 4:51 pm

Ah yes, I have refrained from taking pictures of the Amish after I learned that it wasn't nice.

And for God sake man . . . don't mention weird Al's Amish Paradise. ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...