inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Second Shark Attack Hits Florida's Gulf Coastline

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/27/05 at 1:50 pm

There's just been word of another shark attack on a teenager just a few miles from where a 14-year old girl was killed on Saturday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050627/ap_on_re_us/shark_attack

Subject: Re: Second Shark Attack Hits Florida's Gulf Coastline

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/27/05 at 10:17 pm

Hey guys, I've got an idea---
Let's stay out of the water!!!

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/28/05 at 9:21 am

That's hard to do when it's pushing 90 degrees down South. But I have another idea: the lifeguards and safety people should be better prepared. Set up a barrier so that the sharks will not swim towards the shore, nor the swimmers push beyond the barrier.  :-\\
Hey guys, I've got an idea---
Let's stay out of the water!!!

Written By: Dagwood on 06/28/05 at 6:50 pm

Lifeguard wouldn't have done any good with the second attack.  The boy was in knee deep water fishing.  I just hope it isn't a rogue shark. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/28/05 at 8:06 pm

That's hard to do when it's pushing 90 degrees down South. But I have another idea: the lifeguards and safety people should be better prepared. Set up a barrier so that the sharks will not swim towards the shore, nor the swimmers push beyond the barrier.  :-\\

Well, would you rather be hot and sweaty OR an afternoon snack?  Hmmmm.....
:o
A shark barrier would probably work.  I don't know the technical requirements for one of those.   I think they use them on some beaches in Australia.  Of course, poisonous jellyfish and lethal sea snakes present another problem Down Under.
That poor 14 year old who got killed in Florida was out 100 yards (that's nearly 92 meters!) out from the shore.  The surfer who tried to rescue her said anyone who goes out that far down on that shoreline takes a dangerous risk with sharks.  He's a veteran surfer, so he knows what to do when a shark swims by.  I think those two kids were oblivious.  I doubt the kid suffered much because she went unconsciousness quickly due to shock and massive bloodloss.  By the time the surfer hauled her onto his board, it was already too late.  The boy who lost his leg is lucky to be alive!  That's the thing.  It depends on the area and the species of shark when determing how close to shore they'll come.  You'll find some sharks in only about five feet of water!  If you get bitten by a shark right at the shoreline you stand a much better chance than if you're 300 feet out.  Reasons are obvious.  Even if the shark gives you a nibble and swims off, you can drown if you go into panic and shock.  Shock is what causes most drownings in jellyfish stingings.

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/29/05 at 9:15 am

Good points all, Max. But children don't think that way anymore. It's the "immortality" complex that get's into teens' psyche.
I personally have stopped going to the beach. Not because of fear of shark attacks or jellyfish (although that has a lot to do with it). Who would want to see me in swimming apparel? And my sinuses have gotten worse since the last time I swam. :-\\

Well, would you rather be hot and sweaty OR an afternoon snack?  Hmmmm.....
:o
A shark barrier would probably work.  I don't know the technical requirements for one of those.   I think they use them on some beaches in Australia.  Of course, poisonous jellyfish and lethal sea snakes present another problem Down Under.
That poor 14 year old who got killed in Florida was out 100 yards (that's nearly 92 meters!) out from the shore.  The surfer who tried to rescue her said anyone who goes out that far down on that shoreline takes a dangerous risk with sharks.  He's a veteran surfer, so he knows what to do when a shark swims by.  I think those two kids were oblivious.  I doubt the kid suffered much because she went unconsciousness quickly due to shock and massive bloodloss.  By the time the surfer hauled her onto his board, it was already too late.  The boy who lost his leg is lucky to be alive!  That's the thing.  It depends on the area and the species of shark when determing how close to shore they'll come.  You'll find some sharks in only about five feet of water!  If you get bitten by a shark right at the shoreline you stand a much better chance than if you're 300 feet out.  Reasons are obvious.  Even if the shark gives you a nibble and swims off, you can drown if you go into panic and shock.  Shock is what causes most drownings in jellyfish stingings.

Check for new replies or respond here...