inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: As classic cartoon character voices die off...

Written By: saver on 06/27/05 at 5:56 pm

I am taking up the lead on this one thanks to the idea:

As we have lost the original cartoon voices recently from Fred Flintstone to Tigger and Piglet...are there ANY popular character voicers still going?

I know one from the 40's Lucille Bliss(Crusader Rabbit) and June Foray(Rocky the Flying Squirrel)...and maybe Archie from the 70's tv Archie Show.

But we're hearing a lot leaving that made us smile...Howard Morris(Jughead Jones/Adam Ant), Thurl Ravenscroft(Tony the Tiger), :\'( and Paul Winchell....

Subject: Re: As classic cartoon character voices die off...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/27/05 at 8:01 pm

This is truly a sad dark time.....
:\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/27/05 at 10:28 pm

I wonder if Tigger and Tony the Tiger are having a beer together in 'toon heaven.
???

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/28/05 at 11:06 am

Billy West is still going strong, and he has voiced tons of memorable characters (he's also much younger).

Voice actors never really get their deserved recognition.  Now that we have celebs. being used in big-budget cartoons, they get even less recognition than they deserve.  I purposely avoided the last few big releases like Shark Tale and Madagascar, because the voice work is all famous actors who sound exactly like the actor, no real acting at all.  Cameron Diaz in Shrek is pretty crappy (and over paid) as well.

I do think it's a shame these classic voice actors have passed on, but they've given us great memorable character voices that will probably last longer than most of the screen actors.

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/28/05 at 1:32 pm

One of the biggest losses in the cartoon voice industry was Dawes Butler, the voice behind Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, etc. Another recent death was that of Harry Croyden, the 2nd voice of Fred Flintstone.

Written By: Howard on 06/28/05 at 4:13 pm

How about the voice of Woody Woodpecker?  :(

Check for new replies or respond here...