inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: After 35 years, TV thief released

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/29/05 at 2:06 am

After 35 years, TV thief released
The Houston Chronicle

RALEIGH, N.C. - Junior Allen, who spent 35 years in North Carolina prisons for stealing a $140 television, walked out of prison Friday a free man.

Allen, 65, will live with relatives in Georgia.

He was paroled on his 26th try after getting a life sentence in 1970 for second-degree burglary. Georgia authorities will supervise Allen's parole, which could last up to five years.

If Allen follows all laws, keeps a job and reports periodically to his parole officer there, he'll gain complete freedom by age 70.

Under an old law, the late Judge Pou Bailey sentenced Allen to life in prison for sneaking into an unlocked house and stealing a 19-inch black-and-white Motorola TV. Allen, a migrant farm worker, was 30.

The harshest punishment the offense could draw now is about three years in prison.

Link: http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/nation/3202439

Subject: Re: After 35 years, TV thief released

Written By: Carrie on 06/29/05 at 2:29 am

That is terrible... no wonder there is such over-crowding in prisons. This should not even have gotten a prison sentance at all. Stupid!!!!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/29/05 at 3:56 am

Hmmm, I would think you would give that a thumbs up, GWB, as a "tough on crime" conservative!

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/29/05 at 6:42 am

That is terrible... no wonder there is such over-crowding in prisons. This should not even have gotten a prison sentance at all. Stupid!!!!!!

I agree. This guy lost what's now half of his life for a stolen TV?? There's convicted murders and other kinds of truly bad people who've done awful things who haven't gotten half this much jail time.

It all reminds me of the movie 'Return to Paradise' where three American guys are caught with marijuana in, I believe, Indonesia and one is given the death sentence (he appeals to his friends to help him and serve the sentence -- I haven't seen it in awhile but that's roughly how it goes). The thing about it that shocked and scared me the most was this wasn't just a script. Sure this case itself was made up, but that's a very real thing that happens in third world/non "Western" countries.

As part of their "war on crime", the punishment doesn't come close to fitting the crime. :(

Now, I think we can say a similar thing happened here. Sure 1970 was less advanced than today, but even for then, it sounds extremely backwards and light years behind the times. I'm not saying this guy wasn't a scumbag (he may have been) but that doesn't warrant 35 years in prison with people who were far more deserving of it.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/29/05 at 9:15 am

For stealing a freaking TV?  ::)

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/29/05 at 9:19 am

Different states have different punishments for certain crimes. It seems that Georgia goes overboard any administers longer sentences regardless of crime (just like the days when you were hung for stealing food from the rich). Let's hope the South shows more empathy when deciding jail time.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/29/05 at 4:01 pm

Different states have different punishments for certain crimes. It seems that Georgia goes overboard any administers longer sentences regardless of crime (just like the days when you were hung for stealing food from the rich). Let's hope the South shows more empathy when deciding jail time.

The man was arrested, sentenced and served his time in North Carolina, not Georgia.

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/29/05 at 5:06 pm

It's still the South, isn't it?

Even you have to admit Georgia has some strange laws too, GW.

The man was arrested, sentenced and served his time in North Carolina, not Georgia.

Written By: jiminy on 06/29/05 at 6:59 pm

It's still the South, isn't it?

Even you have to admit Georgia has some strange laws too, GW.

our sodomy laws are still on the books, they were aimed at homosexuals but they are worded so it is illegal for anyone to do   :D

Written By: saver on 06/29/05 at 7:28 pm

DID HE GET THE MESSAGE NOT TO STEAL?

NOW LET'S TRY IT WITH THIS: ANYONE WHO EVER JOINS OR IS PART OF A GANG 'AUTOMATIC' 40 YEARS IN JAIL!!! :) :) :) :)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/29/05 at 7:29 pm

I'm not saying this guy wasn't a scumbag (he may have been) but that doesn't warrant 35 years in prison with people who were far more deserving of it.

You should know that the Houston Chronicle left out one detail, he stole the TV from an elderly womens' house after he walked in and roughed her up.  The assualt charges were dropped though.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/29/05 at 7:32 pm

NOW LET'S TRY IT WITH THIS: ANYONE WHO EVER JOINS OR IS PART OF A GANG 'AUTOMATIC' 40 YEARS IN JAIL!!! :) :) :) :)

Especially if it's the Mara Salvatrucha gang, which is more commonly known as the MS-13 gang.  >:(

Check for new replies or respond here...