inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Greatest Movie Lines of the 21st Century

Written By: Doc Brown on 06/30/05 at 9:17 pm

Last week, the AFI ran a special on the 100 greatest lines in film history. I was pleased at most of the results, but I was shocked at the fact that out of the 100, there was a grand total of ONE from the 21st century, and it wasn't even a memorable one. "My precious!" --Golem, The Two Towers landed at #85. PLEASE! If it was a line from Frodo or Gandalf, I could understand, but that was just dumb. And nothing from any of the other fine films that have come out since 1/1/2001? That was quite a disappointment.

So, I thought it would be a cool idea if we made our own list of memorable lines from 21st-Century movies! I'll start with my list, and hopefully with a few suggestions, we can come up with a Top 25 or so. Sound good?
To begin, I'd like to include:

"Congradulations... You're a dead man!"--Terry Benedict(Andy Garcia), Ocean's Eleven
"You're a wizard, Harry" or "You're the boy who lived."--Rubeus Hagrid(Robbie Coltrane), Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone
"The bomb is in play!"-- Jack Ryan(Ben Affleck), The Sum Of All Fears
"With great power comes great responsibility."--'Uncle' Ben Parker(Cliff Roberston), Spider-Man
"Swing away!"--Graham Hess(Mel Gibson), Signs
"I am the second mouse!"--Frank Abagnale Sr.(Chistopher Walken), Catch Me If You Can
"You'll never shut down the real Napster!"--Lyle(Seth Green), The Italian Job
"Be the miracle."--God(Morgan Freeman), Bruce Almighty
"You best start believing in ghost stories, Miss Turner. You're in one!"--Captain Barbossa(Geoffery Rush), Pirates Of The Caribbean
"I'm gonna make it do what it do, baby"--Ray Charles(Jamie Foxx), Ray
"So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."--Padme Amidala(Natalie Portman), Revenge Of The Sith

OK, there's my list to start. Let me know which you'd like to see!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Subject: Re: The Greatest Movie Lines of the 21st Century

Written By: Powerslave on 06/30/05 at 10:04 pm

I was waiting for someone to post this. Wasn't there some criteria that excluded films from the past few years being included? I don't know. But the reason "My precious" made it was because it's become part of the vernacular (Note: Gollum isn't the first character in the films to actually use the phrase. It was Bilbo). That was part of the criteria for selection. I can't think of any other line from those films that's used as much as that.

PS: The best line in LOTR is "This is no mine. ...It's a tomb."

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/01/05 at 9:41 am

WHOA! WHOA! WHOA! Ok, you are now firing a gun at your 'imaginary friend' near 400 GALLONS OF NITROGLYCERINE!

Tyler Durden - Brad Pitt - Fight Club

William Somerset: This guy's methodical, exacting, and worst of all, patient.
David Mills: He's a nut-bag! Just because the ******'s got a library card doesn't make him Yoda!

Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt  - Seven

P.S.  I know the quote's not from the 21 century, but I still like it.

Written By: zcrito on 07/02/05 at 12:55 am

I always thought this was the greatest quote from any film. It's from 1949's "The Third Man"...

Harry Lime (Orson Welles): "Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock".

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/03/05 at 12:58 pm

My favorite movie quote of all time was from National Lampoon's Vacation......from none other than Clark W. Griswald himself...

"We're gonna have so much *ucking fun....we'll be whistling dixie from our *ssholes"

LOL ;D

Erin :)

Written By: nondiva234 on 07/03/05 at 3:17 pm

My favourite movie line in the 21st century is:

"Do chickens have large talons?" from Napoleon Dynamite

Written By: Doc Brown on 08/08/06 at 10:31 pm

Mind if I toss in another one or two (which are actually from the 21st Century >:( )?

"If there's something wrong, those who have the ability to take action have the responsibility to take action."
--Benjamin Franklin Gates(Nicolas Cage), National Treasure
"You can have a lucky day, sure. But you can't have a lucky career!" --Ben Wrightman(Jimmy Fallon),
Fever Pitch

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/09/06 at 9:54 am

My favorite from Lord of The Rings: The Fellowship of The Ring is...

"Nobody tosses a dwarf."

;D

Written By: P.E.D. on 08/09/06 at 10:24 am

There have been great movies so far in the 21st century???    ::)

Written By: Jessica on 08/09/06 at 1:24 pm

There have been great movies so far in the 21st century???    ::)

I don't know if it qualifies as great, but "Grandma's Boy" almost killed me. Yeah, I know, stupid comedy with lame assed jokes and potty humour. But the line, "YOU'RE A HOOKER!!!" just gets me every time.

Mind you, I don't usually like movies like that. But oh lord, my stomach hurt from laughing.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/09/06 at 1:25 pm

"Talk to the hand" -- Terminator 3

Oh, and then there's: 

"We can make it in two hours...depending on traffic conditions"  :D

Written By: Mushroom on 08/09/06 at 1:57 pm

I always thought this was the greatest quote from any film. It's from 1949's "The Third Man"...

Harry Lime (Orson Welles): "Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock".

One of my top 10 movies of all time!  It may be the wrong century for this discussion, but that is an awesome quote.  I have the Criterion edition of the DVD, and I dig it out and watch it every few months.

My favorite from Lord of The Rings: The Fellowship of The Ring is...

"Nobody tosses a dwarf."

Tell that to those crazy Australians!  8)

I actually bought the Extended cut of the movie and watched it last night.  On Friday I am getting the extended cut of The Two Towers, I already own the extended cut of Return Of The King.

Oh, and the word is that The Hobbit is in pre-production, whith a possible release date in 2008.  The major problem seems to be that the rights are already owned, and Peter Jackson is working with MGM/Sony (the holders of the rights) to make the movie himself, keeping most of the cast from LOTR.

Written By: zcrito on 08/09/06 at 9:20 pm

One of my top 10 movies of all time!  It may be the wrong century for this discussion, but that is an awesome quote.  I have the Criterion edition of the DVD, and I dig it out and watch it every few months.

Wrong century? I know. I couldn't come up with any great lines from recent movies. But I'll keep a lookin'.

As for TTM, I miss Orson Welles and the type of movies he either made or was involved in -- even the ones where he had just a small part.

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/09/06 at 10:50 pm

"Talk to the hand" -- Terminator 3

Oh, and then there's: 

"We can make it in two hours...depending on traffic conditions"  :D

'Talk the hand' is an old, cliched saying from the 80s...Or it may have been popularised by 'Jerry Maguire.' Like the saying 'Show me the money' was, as a corporatist/yuppie catchphrase.

Written By: Lifesunfair on 08/09/06 at 10:55 pm

"Criminals thrive on the indulgences of society's understanding" Batman Begins

Written By: Mushroom on 08/10/06 at 9:13 am

Here are a few for the new century:

Wolverine: You actually go outside in these things?
Cyclops: Well, what would you prefer? Yellow spandex?  The X-Men

And you, Mr. District Attorney, I'd like to point something out to you in the penal code: Section C, Paragraph 22: "Celebrities are above the law." This case is dismissed.  The Adventures Of Rocky And Bullwinkle

You talk to me like a woman, you think like a woman. Nick, come on, admit it. You're totally and completely gay!  What Women Want

"I was just... nyuh". OK, let me put a stop to that little brain fart right now. Girls with asses like mine do not talk to boys with faces like yours  She's The Man

All I know about walruses is that out of all mammals they have the second largest penis. I have the first.  50 First Dates

If you think that Mick Jagger will still be doing the whole rock star thing at age fifty, well, then, you are sorely, sorely mistaken.  Almost Famous

I am a golden god!  Almost Famous

Written By: Doc Brown on 05/19/11 at 12:32 pm

Already my favorite line of 2011:
"I don't need easy, I just need POSSIBLE."
--Bethany Hamilton, "Soul Surfer"

And another great one:
"How do we inspire ourselved to greatness when nothing less will do?"
--President Nelson Mandela, "Invictus"

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Howard on 05/19/11 at 1:18 pm

"Say Hello To My Little Friend".

Written By: 80sfan on 05/19/11 at 2:31 pm

"The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous."

-V for Vendetta-

Written By: 80sfan on 05/19/11 at 2:33 pm

"With great power comes great responsibility."

-Spider-Man-

I'm sure the quote might've come out before Spider-Man though.

Written By: Doc Brown on 05/19/11 at 4:12 pm

"Say Hello To My Little Friend".

Wrong century, Howard.

"With great power comes great responsibility."
-Spider-Man-

Thanx 80's, but that one's already been named.

"The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous."
-V for Vendetta-

XLNT line. Now say it three times, real fast! :D

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: 80sfan on 05/19/11 at 6:23 pm

Wrong century, Howard.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Oops, I finally saw that you already put the Spider-Man quote first.  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 05/19/11 at 6:24 pm

Wrong century, Howard.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

I can't say it fast yet....need more practice!!  :D

Written By: gibbo on 05/20/11 at 8:04 am

Superbad had some good quotes/lines. However, I can't type most of them here... ::)

Evan: McLovin? What kind of a stupid name is that, Fogell? What, are you trying to be an Irish R&B singer?
Fogell: Naw, they let you pick any name you want when you get down there.
Seth: And you landed on McLovin...
Fogell: Yeah. It was between that or Muhammed.

Written By: Mike from Jersey on 05/20/11 at 3:46 pm

There are plenty from The Departed.

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/23/11 at 9:51 am

"Something's wrong, Jack.  Passengers are jumping off the boat and there aren't enough lifeboats for me to save myself and you.  The icebergs are getting closer and bigger and I'm afraid we're not going to be alive when they get here.  Just hold on... we'll die together."

Rose from Titanic
My favorite movie!

Written By: Doc Brown on 05/23/11 at 12:43 pm

"Something's wrong, Jack.  Passengers are jumping off the boat and there aren't enough lifeboats for me to save myself and you.  The icebergs are getting closer and bigger and I'm afraid we're not going to be alive when they get here.  Just hold on... we'll die together."

Rose from Titanic
My favorite movie!

Dude, the 21st Century means all movies had to be released after 1/1/2001. Now, if this was from "Disaster Movie", you might have a case.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Check for new replies or respond here...