inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Live 8 marathon

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/05 at 4:01 am

The first Live 8 anti-poverty concert is taking place in Tokyo, ahead of nine other shows around the world.

Icelandic star Bjork, UK boy band McFly and US rockers Good Charlotte are performing for 10,000 fans at the city's Makuhari Messe arena.

Subject: Re: Live 8 marathon

Written By: goodsin on 07/02/05 at 4:38 am

The first Live 8 anti-poverty concert is taking place in Tokyo, ahead of nine other shows around the world.

Icelandic star Bjork, UK boy band McFly and US rockers Good Charlotte are performing for 10,000 fans at the city's Makuhari Messe arena.

Yep, I'm a bit gutted as I'll miss most of the UK show as I'm at work until late. Still, I'll be able to see most of the US one, and I daresay there'll be highlights on forever more. Apparently bookies are not taking any bets as to whether Bob Geldof will swear or not...

Written By: Paul on 07/02/05 at 5:03 am

I wonder whether they're taking bets on whether Geldof will wash or not...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/05 at 5:04 am

London is overcast at the moment, will it rain during the course of the concert.

Written By: Paul on 07/02/05 at 5:14 am

If memory serves, I don't think the weather was that great when the first one took place...

Very wet summer was 1985...it took ages to finish Wimbledon!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/05 at 5:20 am

If memory serves, I don't think the weather was that great when the first one took place...

Very wet summer was 1985...it took ages to finish Wimbledon!
I was in East Ham the day of the original Live Aid Concert and remember it being a hot sunny day.

Written By: Paul on 07/02/05 at 5:32 am

I must have been somewhere else then...!

Written By: goodsin on 07/02/05 at 5:34 am

I don't think the rain will matter. If 100-odd thousand people can put up with rain every year to take drugs listen to music at Glastonbury, I'm sure they can put up with a few hours in a London park...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/05 at 7:31 am

I must have been somewhere else then...!
Could you be thinking of the Freddie Mercury Concert?

Written By: Miss Tainted on 07/02/05 at 12:11 pm

I'm kind of angry at this because I heard that the money they get for this concert isn't going to be donated to Africa it's just there to bring awareness.  >:( I would feel cheated if I bought tickets for something I thought was going to help people and it never happened.

Written By: Maddie's The Boss on 07/02/05 at 4:44 pm

I'm watching the "Live Aid" DVD I bought yesterday  8)

Only seen parts of the marathon... some good acts, current & those who were at the original... most so & so...

I'm too busy being reoccupied to  1985!!! :D

Written By: Paul on 07/02/05 at 6:21 pm

I'm watching the "Live Aid" DVD I bought yesterday  8)

Only seen parts of the marathon... some good acts, current & those who were at the original... most so & so...

I'm too busy being reoccupied to  1985!!! :D

Was it sunny?

I honestly had it in my head that it was overcast...much like today...

Written By: limblifter on 07/02/05 at 6:35 pm

I'm kind of angry at this because I heard that the money they get for this concert isn't going to be donated to Africa it's just there to bring awareness.  >:( I would feel cheated if I bought tickets for something I thought was going to help people and it never happened.

The shows are free.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/05 at 6:41 pm

There is no money involved with these concerts, the aim of Live 8 is to "Make Poverty History" and to put pressure on the World Leaders at the G8 Conference at Gleneagles to wipe out the debt in the poorer nations.

Written By: Miss Tainted on 07/03/05 at 4:15 am

Sorry, I just learned that yesterday but I'm still angry because they have all these amazing groups/bands/artists coming together for this huge show, you know how much money they could make for that so they could donate it or something?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/05 at 4:30 am

Sorry, I just learned that yesterday but I'm still angry because they have all these amazing groups/bands/artists coming together for this huge show, you know how much money they could make for that so they could donate it or something?
If money is the thing, huge amounts was made when texting in for applying for tickets for the Live 8 Concert.

Written By: Miss Tainted on 07/03/05 at 4:36 am

If money is the thing, huge amounts was made when texting in for applying for tickets for the Live 8 Concert.

And that would be going to the phone company instead of people who actually need it.....  -_-

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/05 at 4:42 am

And that would be going to the phone company instead of people who actually need it.....  -_-
The Live 8 was not set up as a charity to give money to anyone, it was to bring forward the message to the 8 world leaders, who gathered in Scotland for the G8 summit on July 6th and a chance to finally have the opportunity to stop that shameful statistic of national debt. Asking all present for a workable plan to double aid, drop the debt and make the trade laws fair. "If these 8 men agree, then we will become the generation that made poverty history."

Written By: Miss Tainted on 07/03/05 at 4:47 am

If that's what it is than none of this really makes much sense.  :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/05 at 4:59 am

If that's what it is than none of this really makes much sense.  :-\\
The sense is, to rid the world of poverty.

Check for new replies or respond here...