inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: US cigarette labelling

Written By: goodsin on 07/02/05 at 11:03 am

Hi Folks, was just given a pack of Marlboro Lights that a colleague brought back from a visit to the US. The packet has no indication as to levels of Tar & Nicotine, and the only health warning on the packet is a small section on the side panel, indicating that 'cigarette smoke contains carbon monoxide'. In the UK, tobacco has to have a labelled Tar & Nicotine content, and the health warnings obscure nearly half of the front & rear of the packets, with explicit warnings such as 'smoking kills'. I was wondering if the packet I got from the US is typical of the type of content labelling used there, or did it differ because it was a packet for export?

Subject: Re: US cigarette labelling

Written By: ADH13 on 07/02/05 at 11:09 am

Hi Folks, was just given a pack of Marlboro Lights that a colleague brought back from a visit to the US. The packet has no indication as to levels of Tar & Nicotine, and the only health warning on the packet is a small section on the side panel, indicating that 'cigarette smoke contains carbon monoxide'. In the UK, tobacco has to have a labelled Tar & Nicotine content, and the health warnings obscure nearly half of the front & rear of the packets, with explicit warnings such as 'smoking kills'. I was wondering if the packet I got from the US is typical of the type of content labelling used there, or did it differ because it was a packet for export?

The pack I am looking at right now says on the side panel, "Surgeon General's Warning: Smoking causes lung cancer, heart disease, emphysema.  And may complicate pregnancy."  It also says "Underage sale prohibited."

Check for new replies or respond here...