inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Spray-Painting: Art or Graffiti?

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/05/05 at 1:22 am

I had just gotten back from the annual carnival in Lawrence today. There was this exhibition and sale of spray-painted art pictures done by this couple that used cans of spray paint, discs and construction paper. (of course they also wore a mask) This might be something I might want to take as a hobby, but not if it's going to be dismissed as high-class portable grafitti. So what do you think? I'll leave a few links.

http://www.spraycasso.com/

http://www.ginagsart.com/Mybio/artistbio/1.html

http://www.worldsinspace.8m.com/

http://www.artaztic.com/spray2.htm

Subject: Re: Spray-Painting: Art or Grafitti?

Written By: goodsin on 07/05/05 at 1:51 am

I had just gotten back from the annual carnival in Lawrence today. There was this exhibition and sale of spray-painted art pictures done by this couple that used cans of spray paint, discs and construction paper. (of course they also wore a mask) This might be something I might want to take as a hobby, but not if it's going to be dismissed as high-class portable grafitti. So what do you think? I'll leave a few links.

Go for it, Indy Gent. Even if your creations could be dismissed by others as "high-class portable grafitti", surely you'd derive pleasure/ learn something new from the process of learning to do it? And surely only you can truly define your own art?

I think there's a big difference between spray art & graffiti. In my local town, there are several large wall areas that have been spray-painted with artistic flair & skill by volunteers, and it looks brilliant. On the other hand, we are subject to the craze of tagging, where vandals write their 'tag' on anything they can find. Taggers in my area display a complete lack of artistic imagination or skill, yet think it really cool to get together in gangs & write their crap everywhere. We even get rival gangs of taggers trying to 'out-hard' each other on the walls- it's really funny to read all these big macho statements from just-pubescent lads; I think personally they would be better off learning some social skills and maybe, just maybe, communicating with the opposite sex; I think most of this 'tagging' is just a frustrated release of teen hormones, but it doesn't mean I want to see it wherever I go...

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/05/05 at 2:38 am

An example of "tagging" being the vandals that tagged the Statheouse because they didn't want an I-69 extention to Evansville. And they didn't even try to be artistic or competitive in it.::)

Thanks for the advice, Goodsin. ;)
Go for it, Indy Gent. Even if your creations could be dismissed by others as "high-class portable grafitti", surely you'd derive pleasure/ learn something new from the process of learning to do it? And surely only you can truly define your own art?

I think there's a big difference between spray art & graffiti. In my local town, there are several large wall areas that have been spray-painted with artistic flair & skill by volunteers, and it looks brilliant. On the other hand, we are subject to the craze of tagging, where vandals write their 'tag' on anything they can find. Taggers in my area display a complete lack of artistic imagination or skill, yet think it really cool to get together in gangs & write their crap everywhere. We even get rival gangs of taggers trying to 'out-hard' each other on the walls- it's really funny to read all these big macho statements from just-pubescent lads; I think personally they would be better off learning some social skills and maybe, just maybe, communicating with the opposite sex; I think most of this 'tagging' is just a frustrated release of teen hormones, but it doesn't mean I want to see it wherever I go...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/05/05 at 10:22 am

If it's done with permission then I consider it art...if not with permission it's gangster Bullsh*t ::)

Written By: Apricot on 07/05/05 at 11:08 am

I consider grafitti art... even the Gangster Bullsh*t.. although, like with all art, there's good art and bad art... like, the pictures of penises or simple taggings of "____ sucks" or "_____ was here"... that's bad art.. but some of the really cool looking, artistic ones, no matter who made them or for what purpose.. it's art, and very good art.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/05/05 at 11:09 am

I know that it's considered grafitti and such...but sometimes when I see a train go by...it's very entertaining to look at all of the grafitti and see how artistic it really is.

Erin :)

Written By: Marian on 07/05/05 at 2:08 pm

People spray-paint intricate designs under the Guadalupe bridge a lot.I don;t think it's bad if they spray-apint down there--I mean,are the homeless really getting upset by this?

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/05/05 at 2:40 pm

I guess my biggest concern using spray paint are environmental. Having a dog and a cat and heaps of allergens, my sister wouldn't want the fumes consuming the garage, let alone the whole house. And she does own the air that enters. And all those empty (or half-empty) cans of spray paint are still dangerous when thrown away. I'll probably need to take a course before actually deciding on doing it for business or hobby.

And Mark, I would never paint graffitti on buildings. I've seen some of that gangsta BS on small, condemed buldings (mostly done by white punks in Broad Ripple), and most of it isn't pleasing to the eyes. :-\\

Written By: NullandVoid on 07/05/05 at 2:54 pm

I'm a New Yorker who's lived in a ghetto all of her life. I guess you could say that I'm desensitized. Sad but true.

Written By: Paul on 07/05/05 at 4:54 pm

I'm a New Yorker who's lived in a ghetto all of her life. I guess you could say that I'm desensitized. Sad but true.

Same with most of South London where I used to live...

In a surreal sort-of way, I'd probably laugh if some bright spark would concoct a rendition of Monet's Water Lilies entirely with the contents of spray cans...

Written By: Howard on 07/05/05 at 5:58 pm

I think spray painting at the time about 15 years ago was considered graffiti.People posting their tag names and ruining buildings.I remember a tag name called "TMR" aka The Master Race. ::)

Written By: Brian Damaged on 07/06/05 at 10:30 am

Graffiti is art.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/06/05 at 11:57 am

Graffiti is art.

Does the designation "art" require us to hold it in high regard?

I find most graffiti blights an area rather than complements it.  Protest graffiti is sometimes interesting.  Gangland graffiti tags are often intricate and masterfully done, but they represent a vioent and desperate side of America that I wish was not there.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 07/06/05 at 12:01 pm

When someone has spray painted "Bez -K- 04" on a wall, that's vandalism. When someone has taken the time to plan the image and has produced a high-quality picture on a wall or on canvas, that's when I would count it as being art

Written By: Brian Damaged on 07/06/05 at 2:42 pm

Look it's art, you don't have to like it.  I don't like graffiti.  The question was is it art.  I don't like Picasso, that doesn't mean it's not art and it's not significant.  I don't like it.  Big deal.  Don't make an argument out of everything.

Written By: Paul on 07/06/05 at 3:44 pm

Look it's art, you don't have to like it.  I don't like graffiti.  The question was is it art.  I don't like Picasso, that doesn't mean it's not art and it's not significant.  I don't like it.  Big deal.  Don't make an argument out of everything.

If it's been lovingly daubed all over the side of your property, would it still be art?

At least Picasso used a canvas...

Written By: Howard on 07/06/05 at 4:48 pm

I think it's a little bit of both.

Written By: NullandVoid on 07/06/05 at 8:33 pm

Lee and Chico

Two of the best graffitti artists in the city :)

Subject: Re: Spray-Painting: Art or Graffiti?

Written By: Brian Damaged on 07/07/05 at 9:02 am

If it's been lovingly daubed all over the side of your property, would it still be art?

Yes, and it would still be illegal and vandalism.  Just like if Michalangelo broke into my house and painted my ceiling without permission.

Written By: Paul on 07/07/05 at 11:36 am

Yes, and it would still be illegal and vandalism.  Just like if Michalangelo broke into my house and painted my ceiling without permission.

Well I know (and you probably do, too) what I'd call it...

There is no room in the so-called cause of 'art' that should include the word 'vandalism'...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/07/05 at 12:36 pm

Does the designation "art" require us to hold it in high regard?

Gangland graffiti tags are often intricate and masterfully done, but they represent a vioent and desperate side of America that I wish was not there.
I SO Agree with you :)

Written By: Brian Damaged on 07/07/05 at 1:50 pm

Well I know (and you probably do, too) what I'd call it...

Hello.  Read my post.  Like I said, it would be art.  Vandalism can be art.

Yeah, nobody's knocking Picasso.  I just said I don't like his stuff, I didn't say he was not a great important artist.  That is just what my point is.  Just becuase you do not like something does not means you have to pretend your opinion is the be all and end all, and that you get to decide what gets to be art.  Your opinion of what you like is fine.  But deciding what is art is not a matter of opinion, that is fact.  Some people like to knock graffiti and rap because they look down on it as black ghetto culture.

Written By: Guiness on 07/07/05 at 2:06 pm

Graffiti IS part of ghetto culture.  It is disgusting, low class, antisocial behavior, and shows disrespect for peoples' property.  You can keep defending it if you want and call it art, but don't bring your spray cans to my neighborhood, or I'll put my Rottweilers to you, you can believe that.  >:(

Written By: Paul on 07/07/05 at 2:27 pm

Hello.  Read my post.  Like I said, it would be art.  Vandalism can be art.

Riiiiiight...come back to me when you've had several bricks thrown through your windows - then we'll decide if that's art...

That is just what my point is.  Just becuase you do not like something does not means you have to pretend your opinion is the be all and end all, and that you get to decide what gets to be art.  Your opinion of what you like is fine.  But deciding what is art is not a matter of opinion, that is fact.

Perhaps you'd care to read my post...

Where does 'art' have the right to cross the line into 'vandalism'...?

And you'll most likely find that these 'artists' will never seem to concoct their little 'works' on their own property...if it's that artworthy, then surely they'd be proud to show it off on something they own...

Written By: limblifter on 07/07/05 at 2:42 pm

I agree with Brian.

The "act" of doing graffiti may be illegal. But that in no way changes the fact that what this person has created is art.

There are plenty of cases where business owners give permission to artists to spray a mural on their wall. Are you going to say that what this person has created is not considered art?

Written By: Paul on 07/07/05 at 2:55 pm

I agree with Brian.

The "act" of doing graffiti may be illegal. But that in no way changes the fact that what this person has created is art.

There are plenty of cases where business owners give permission to artists to spray a mural on their wall. Are you going to say that what this person has created is not considered art?

Fine...if someone's agreed to have it done - then I can't and won't complain...

But when the stuff 'appears' where it's not wanted...that's the 'v' word...

Written By: Howard on 07/07/05 at 3:28 pm

Graffiti is still happening these days.They're all around everywhere. >:(

Written By: Sugafairey on 07/09/05 at 12:12 pm

I agree that graffiti is art, My fella is a writer (a LEGAL one, I might add) and the amount of work and planning that goes into a complicated piece is unreal. There is easily as much background work to one piece as there is to some of the pieces I did when I studied art at college.

Some of it takes real talent however I don't agree (neither does my bloke) with skanky kids ruining peoples homes. I know a few graffiti artists that have moved on from graf and into amimation or graphic design. In my blokes case, he is now a hairstylist and SHAVES graf into people's hair. He has won prizes for artistic merit in clipper work and has been accepted into a Wella style school. Proof by my standards that it can be art.

Written By: Howard on 07/09/05 at 3:41 pm

It can be considered an art form if someone had passed away and someone would spray paint a small memorial on a wall or somewhere else for people to view.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 07/11/05 at 12:00 pm

Where does 'art' have the right to cross the line into 'vandalism'...?

That's like asking where political activity "crosses the line" into criminality.  They are not on some sort of continuum -- a political act may or may not be criminal; a work of art may or may not be involved in an act of vandalism.

Let's not confuse completely distinct concepts.

Written By: Marian on 07/12/05 at 1:47 pm

:D :DIf your property is basically a "cementscape" or weed yard,they're probably doing you a favor!

Subject: Spray-Painting: Art or Grafitti?

Written By: Dude111 on 03/06/18 at 9:46 pm

If it's done with permission then I consider it art...if not with permission it's gangster Bullsh*t ::)

Yes and you usually see more done W/O PERMISSION than anything else!!

Check for new replies or respond here...