inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: London blasts

Written By: robby76 on 07/07/05 at 5:37 am

Hope people in London are okay - just watching this tragic news of terrorism hitting AGAIN! Not sure on the scale yet, but there have been 6 explosions in the London Underground, including one in a double decker bus!

Subject: Re: London blasts

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/07/05 at 5:40 am

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/07/07/london.tube/index.html - for the full story.

Written By: karen on 07/07/05 at 5:55 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4659093.stm  for the BBC version

Written By: the_omega on 07/07/05 at 6:42 am

Just been watching it on T.V they said 6 explosions in undergrounds and 1 on a bus with 3 more suspected attempts on buss routes, 2 people thought to have been killed with many injured.

the scary thing is my girlfirends dad would have been in liverpool street tube at about the same time as the explosion, fortuanatly he is in edinbrough(sp?) doing something for live8

hope every one that was injured recovers fully.

Written By: Paul on 07/07/05 at 6:54 am

It's complete and utter bedlam here at the mo'...(I wouldn't have expected anything else) - so all we can do is sit tight and wait...

My thoughts are with the families of the fatally injured and to those who have suffered injuries but have thankfully survived...

Written By: Dagwood on 07/07/05 at 6:58 am

Quote from the BBC article
The 49-year-old said: "All the lights went out and the train came to an immediate halt. There was smoke everywhere and everyone was coughing and choking, but remained calm. We couldn't open the doors."

Once the doors were opened they were taken along to Liverpool Street station.

She said the carriage where an explosion happened was "black on the inside" and she saw people who appeared to have their clothes blown off.

She saw bodies lying inside the carriage.

How scary for her. I can't imagine having to see that carnage.  My prayers are with those affected by this.

Written By: goodsin on 07/07/05 at 6:59 am

I'm wondering if it was timed to coincide with London having won the olympic bid. Someone in my office has already suggested the French might be responsible, which hasn't gone down well, as I work for a French-owned company. I live about 80 miles from London, but on a main train route into London- the police have currently sealed off the rail station.

Written By: Paul on 07/07/05 at 7:07 am

I'm wondering if it was timed to coincide with London having won the olympic bid. Someone in my office has already suggested the French might be responsible, which hasn't gone down well, as I work for a French-owned company. I live about 80 miles from London, but on a main train route into London- the police have currently sealed off the rail station.

I don't think they'd stoop that low!

If the stories are correct, the bus bomb at Tavistock Square appears to have been the work of a suicide bomber (a first for the UK), which indicates terrorist activity...

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/07/05 at 7:11 am

A search of Middle Eastern History shows this as significant for July 7: On July 7, 1937, the Peel Commission published its recommendations, which included the partition of western Palestine into a Jewish state and an Arab state.

http://brneurosci.org/israel-terrorism.html

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/07/05 at 7:12 am

I suggest G8 was the reason.  From a terrorist's POV, London being announced as 2012 Olympic host would have simply been icing on the cake, nothing more.

I venture that the person who suggested the French are being slightly more than irresponsible...

Written By: karen on 07/07/05 at 7:14 am

There is an Arabic webiste with a statement from Al-Queda about the bombings.  At the moment it has not been fully translated.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/07/05 at 7:17 am

We don't know exactly who perpetrated these sick and craven acts of terror.  Whoever did was extremely determined.  London tube stations are very secure and staffed vigilently.
I'll refrain from polemics as this is not the political board.  
I'll just say this is both a sad and scary day for London and for us all.  My heart goes out to all Londoners today.
:\'(

Max

Written By: karen on 07/07/05 at 7:21 am

It's complete and utter bedlam here at the mo'...(I wouldn't have expected anything else) - so all we can do is sit tight and wait...

My thoughts are with the families of the fatally injured and to those who have suffered injuries but have thankfully survived...

At least you are all right Paul

Written By: Paul on 07/07/05 at 7:26 am

At least you are all right Paul

Yes thanks karen...no harm done here...(and thanks to MS for his comments)

More finger-pointing to Al-Qaida (or a splinter group)...the co-ordination of the explosion of the bombs is also a trademark of theirs (see the Madrid bombings of last year)

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/07/05 at 7:53 am

A disgusting act perpertrated by individuals who's only attribute is cowardice.

I'll save my opinions on the leaders for the Political Board, but i was however very impressed with Mr Blair's Speech.

Written By: Powerslave on 07/07/05 at 8:05 am

Blair's speech was a nice, eloquent and typically British response.

My thoughts to everyone touched by this.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/07/05 at 8:51 am

I hope that whoever is responsible for this is found, before more bad things happen.

Written By: karen on 07/07/05 at 10:04 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4661059.stm

More than 30 people dead

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/07/05 at 10:06 am

Just watched the press conference with the different Emergency Service Representatives.

There are around 40 confirmed dead so far, i expect this number will probably double eventually.

Thankfully the services seem to have the situation under control which is good as the system needs to be going again tomorrow.

After all, panic, hysteria and disruption are the main focus's of terrorism, contrary to popular belief death is only a by-product.

Written By: goodsin on 07/07/05 at 10:32 am

A search of Middle Eastern History shows this as significant for July 7: On July 7, 1937, the Peel Commission published its recommendations, which included the partition of western Palestine into a Jewish state and an Arab state.

Thanks for that, GWB, this info coupled with the G8 summit are surely the most probable reasons for this day being chosen. I was half asleep when I wrote my post earlier.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 07/07/05 at 10:35 am

First heard about it in IT this morning, then when we went to English, my teacher but the news report on the big screen at the front of the class. Later, when me and my friend went to the town the man behind the counter at a games shop had the radio on, and he informed us that those Al-Queerbashes were responsible. B*stards, hope they burn in hell  >:( >:(

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/07/05 at 10:36 am

Thanks for that, GWB, this info coupled with the G8 summit are surely the most probable reasons for this day being chosen. I was half asleep when I wrote my post earlier.

Yeah i'll second that. Goes well with the statement on the somewhat dodgy website. All about us Zionist Pigdogs or whatever the hell the Coc-k Smokers are calling us nowadays.

Written By: Paul on 07/07/05 at 11:05 am

Well, I managed to make it home...

Sadly, there will be at least 50 by my reckoning that never will...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/07/05 at 12:24 pm

This seems like England's 9/11. To all our friends in London, I'm sure I speak for many of us here in the U.S. that our hearts go out to you.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/07/05 at 12:26 pm

This seems like England's 9/11. To all our friends in London, I'm sure I speak for many of us here in the U.S. that our hearts go out to you.

Cat
I have just spent the day in a form of shock, and I am still confused and not with right now.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/07/05 at 12:29 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with all hurt by this terrible event
:\'(

Written By: bbigd04 on 07/07/05 at 1:41 pm

My thoughts and prayers go out to the all those affected by this attack.  :\'(

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/07/05 at 2:39 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with those in London. I firmly believe justice will be served to those acting on their cowardice.

Tanya

Written By: jackas on 07/07/05 at 3:03 pm

My thoughts go out to all of you in the UK!  You certainly did not deserve this.http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/other/jpshakehead.gif

Hope you are okay Philip Eno.http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/sad/face20.gif

Written By: Marian on 07/07/05 at 3:16 pm

I'll save my opinions on the leaders for the Political Board, but i was however very impressed with Mr Blair's Speech.
It's a sad thing to happen,and scary being on a subway.I wonder how Blair's popularity will be affected.

Written By: gemini61 on 07/07/05 at 3:31 pm

I have just spent the day in a form of shock, and I am still confused and not with right now.

I was thinking about you when I heard this morning. I know you're from London. I hope you are doing ok. My thoughts go out to everyone affected by this terrible tragedy.  :\'( 

Written By: Dagwood on 07/07/05 at 6:23 pm

I suggest G8 was the reason. From a terrorist's POV, London being announced as 2012 Olympic host would have simply been icing on the cake, nothing more.

I venture that the person who suggested the French are being slightly more than irresponsible...

I agree with you, Fuss.  There is no way they could have planned and carried this off that quickly.  G8 makes more sense to me.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/07/05 at 9:58 pm

I feel really badly about all of this....my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone going through this tragedy.

Erin

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/08/05 at 12:28 am

I respect Mr. Blair too. Like all Americans, my heart goes out to the whole city and nation. After all, if every nation on earth was just one person, America would probably consider Great Britiain her best friend. :)
But hey, I hope the Brits themselves find the scumsuckers who did this  >:(. People like them are what the Tower Of London is for!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Gis on 07/08/05 at 1:41 am

Well the last I heard they think at least two of the bombs were due to suicide bombers which is a scary thought.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/05 at 2:03 am

Well the last I heard they think at least two of the bombs were due to suicide bombers which is a scary thought.
As we have learnt for the news from other countries, suicide bombers are the worse to deal with.

Written By: Gis on 07/08/05 at 3:12 am

I just got in to work in Oxford.It was weird travelling in by train.They had taken all the rubbish(garbage) bins away from the station (even though they are clear bags anyway incase of suspect packages) and there were police patrolling the platforms.It makes you uneasy like the police know something else you don't..........I guess they are just upping patrols in the big citys just in case.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/08/05 at 5:47 am

Extremely good to hear all our pommy pals here are safe and ok.  Was thinking about you all while I was at work today.

I got home from work last night as live reports were hitting our news and immediately logged on and tried to email my friend as she lives near one affected station and works near another - so I was freaking out to say the least.  When she didnt reply I knew she hadnt made it to work.

So naturally I worried all day at work today. Her parents here in Aus are both deaf mutes so I was unable to ring them to find out about her.

Two ladies in my team managed to contact their daughters - both were on trains that got evactuated and were safe and sound.

Got home from work today to an email - PHEWWWWWW. She was on the Liverpool Stn train that got hit. Wasnt injured - just smoke inhalation. She was evacuated and treated on the roadside. Then she walked to work. She went into shock a little while later so she walked home. Her office is now closed for a week.

Just freaks me out because I lived in London during the IRA era and I was always so scared on the tube - all those huge warning signs about unaccompanied bags etc. I was never on a train that got hit - but I was on one behind one that got hit and we were stranded for several hours.

Take care my pommy pals - avoid any lonely bags etc on the roads and buses etc.

Written By: Paul on 07/08/05 at 6:54 am

Good to hear your pal's okay, BMG...

Eerily quiet-ish here today - still one or two 'no-go' areas, but the transport is getting back to normal (for London anyway!) and life goes on...thanks to all for your support...

People carrying rucksacks today are being given a wide berth!

Written By: mandamoo on 07/08/05 at 7:45 am

Extremely good to hear all our pommy pals here are safe and ok. Was thinking about you all while I was at work today.

Same here. Glad you are all safe  :)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/08/05 at 7:57 am

Same here. Glad you are all safe  :)

I echo Mooey's sentiment.  Each and every one of you  :) :) :)

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/08/05 at 10:58 am

As I couldn't access this website yesterday, I'm offering you (the UK as a whole, Londoners in particular and especially those that have been affected personally) my sincere condolences. Words can not express the way I feel.

It's a scary thought to think tomorrow it could be us.

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/08/05 at 1:21 pm

I respect Mr. Blair too. Like all Americans, my heart goes out to the whole city and nation. After all, if every nation on earth was just one person, America would probably consider Great Britiain our best friend.  :)
But hey, I hope the Brits themselves find the scumsuckers who did this  >:(. People like them are what the Tower Of London is for!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

I have my doubts that these people will be caught, but as you can already see, people just get on with things. As Paul pointed out, there are only a couple of no go areas. Us Brits are a tough bunch (we've been invaded enough times) i expect things will be back to normal soon.

Written By: Gis on 07/09/05 at 1:41 am

Nearly all of the underground system was working again yesterday though there appeared to be only about three people on it !
According to the news last night there are about 20 people unaccounted for.It's assumed they are the bodies stuck in the carriage  under King's Cross.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/05 at 3:53 am

Nearly all of the underground system was working again yesterday though there appeared to be only about three people on it !
According to the news last night there are about 20 people unaccounted for.It's assumed they are the bodies stuck in the carriage  under King's Cross.
Certain parts of the lines are still not running for the explosions have damaged the walls of the tunnels and the lines will be out of service for several weeks.

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/09/05 at 11:13 am

Wow, i just had an e-mail from one of my oldest Friends, Paul.

He said that he had a training seminar day in London that day and that he was supposed to be at King's Cross then, but missed his train.

Check for new replies or respond here...