inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Question.. Why Did Bill Maher Get Fired?

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/11/05 at 10:07 pm

Just wondering because I never heard for sure why he got fired.  What was it he said?

(I don't want this to break into a big political argument either)

Subject: Re: Question.. Why Did Bill Maher Get Fired?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/11/05 at 10:55 pm

Received a great deal of bad press for his comments after the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center when he criticized the United States government. Subsequently, advertisers such as Sears and Federal Express pulled their ads and some television stations stop showing his program "Politically Incorrect" (1994). This eventually led to ABC cancelling the show the following year. Commentators such as Rush Limbaugh, Arianna Huffington and David Horowitz defended his right to free speech and said his program should not be cancelled.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005175/bio

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/12/05 at 10:16 am

He has a new show on HBO, which is better.

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/12/05 at 10:30 am

I was sad to see him off of ABC. Though I don't agree with him very often, I enjoyed a recent show when he and Bill O'Reily traded jabs.....a mutual respect was shown.

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/13/05 at 9:34 am

I know why: because he stopped being funny again.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/13/05 at 9:39 am

The show's basically the same as it's always been Bill plus 4 liberals gang up on a Conservative ::)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/13/05 at 11:05 am

The show's basically the same as it's always been Bill plus 4 liberals gang up on a Conservative ::)

He's been allowing more conservatives now!

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/13/05 at 8:33 pm

He's been allowing more conservatives now!

Tanya
That's nice to hear. I thought he may have become a little bit of a nice guy when he and Bill O'Reily got on pretty well a while back :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/14/05 at 11:14 am

Bill Maher got fired ??? ;D

They are talking about when he got his show cancelled on ABC in 2002

Tanya

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/14/05 at 12:03 pm

Bill Mahar said the terrorists who flew the planes into the WTC were not cowards.  He didn't say they were right.  He just said they weren't cowards.  He also said it's not an act of bravery to bomb cities from far away, like the U.S. military does.  Network executives decided for the people that Bill Mahar was too offensive.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/14/05 at 9:14 pm

Bill Mahar said the terrorists who flew the planes into the WTC were not cowards.  He didn't say they were right.  He just said they weren't cowards.  He also said it's not an act of bravery to bomb cities from far away, like the U.S. military does.  Network executives decided for the people that Bill Mahar was too offensive.
And by saying they weren't cowards he meant they were "heroes?"...IF that's what  he meant then he's a scum. All I know is, we've never hijacked a plane and flown it into a building for the sole purpose of murdering everyone there. Sure, our government has done some deplorable things but to say that these gutless misguided creeps were NOT cowards?? Whatever, Bill ::)

Written By: TuMama on 07/27/05 at 3:48 pm

Well I agree that they weren't cowards, do you really think they would blow themselves just like that if they were afraid? But just how in the hell does not being a coward equate to being a hero or something positive? I still think that their actions were the result of hatred and the belief that there is a life after this one, and I completely condemn what they and other terrorists do today. But to call them cowards seems illogical. How could they be afraid of accomplishing what they believed would send them to heaven? And im sure Bill Maher got fired because he brought logic into a conversation, and thought logically (unlike people who are blinded by American patriotism).

Written By: danootaandme on 07/27/05 at 4:46 pm

And by saying they weren't cowards he meant they were "heroes?"...IF that's what  he meant then he's a scum. All I know is, we've never hijacked a plane and flown it into a building for the sole purpose of murdering everyone there. Sure, our government has done some deplorable things but to say that these gutless misguided creeps were NOT cowards?? Whatever, Bill ::)

It is a stretch to say that because someone is not a coward that they are must be a hero.  The two
terms are mutually exclusive.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/27/05 at 6:20 pm

It is a stretch to say that because someone is not a coward that they are must be a hero.  The two
terms are mutually exclusive.
You're right.  did stretch that and I apologize. Like I said before, I actually enjoy his show sometimes and really got a kick out of him and Bill O'Reilly teasing each other yet sharing a mutual respect :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/27/05 at 6:48 pm

You're right.  did stretch that and I apologize. Like I said before, I actually enjoy his show sometimes and really got a kick out of him and Bill O'Reilly teasing each other yet sharing a mutual respect :)

Off topic.... Rock and Roll Fan, cool looking banner! It was a great show.  :\'(  >:(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/27/05 at 7:33 pm

Off topic.... Rock and Roll Fan, cool looking banner! It was a great show.  :\'(  >:(
Thanks...I reworked it though as it was way too small. I'll be dedicating the rest of this month and perhaps more, to that awesome show! Did you see the last epsiode? They didn't think it'd be the last episode but it sure turned out to be the perfect finale....

Written By: Phil on 02/02/11 at 12:04 pm

For the record, Bill's comment that the "terrorist were not cowards" was a position he was agreeing with that had been set forth and argued by author Denesh D'zouza -- a conservative political analyst, professor of history, former senior domestic policy analyst for President Reagan. Denesh was on Bill's show the week before Bill made the comment for which he was fired. Bill's argument (and Denesh's argument too) is that it is not cowardly to die for something you believe in--to go into a situation in which you know it will mean certain death for you.To avoid harm to yourself is more in keeping with cowardness. Ask yourself-- what you would you be willing to die for and would you if it meant it would make a difference? That's all he meant-- end of story. It was not to suggest the terrorist were heroes by any means. Anyone who reads that into it is a simpleton and an idiot without the ability to recognize what is obvious. A hero doesn't take innocent lives. They were scum, they were depraved and EVIL but cowards they were not. By the way, Denesh D'souza said nothing in defense of Bill Maher when it was his view point Bill was conveying. That, my friends is cowardly.

Written By: whistledog on 02/03/11 at 3:18 pm

For the record, Bill's comment that the "terrorist were not cowards" was a position he was agreeing with that had been set forth and argued by author Denesh D'zouza -- a conservative political analyst, professor of history, former senior domestic policy analyst for President Reagan. Denesh was on Bill's show the week before Bill made the comment for which he was fired. Bill's argument (and Denesh's argument too) is that it is not cowardly to die for something you believe in--to go into a situation in which you know it will mean certain death for you.To avoid harm to yourself is more in keeping with cowardness. Ask yourself-- what you would you be willing to die for and would you if it meant it would make a difference? That's all he meant-- end of story. It was not to suggest the terrorist were heroes by any means. Anyone who reads that into it is a simpleton and an idiot without the ability to recognize what is obvious. A hero doesn't take innocent lives. They were scum, they were depraved and EVIL but cowards they were not. By the way, Denesh D'souza said nothing in defense of Bill Maher when it was his view point Bill was conveying. That, my friends is cowardly.

You bring up this age old thread, i thought Bill Maher had gotten fired again. 

Whatsamatta'you?

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/03/11 at 9:29 pm

Whatsamatta'you?

Gotta no respect?

Written By: whistledog on 02/04/11 at 12:29 am

Gotta no respect?

"No respect, I tell ya.  No respect!"

http://www.celticstown.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/rodney-dangerfield.jpg

I bought this book called "How to make it big".  It was all about making money

No respect!  Last week, I met the Surgeon General.  He offered me a cigarette !?!?!?

When I was a kid I got no respect!  They always made me take the family picture.  That way I wouldn't be in it.

Even my doctor gives me no respect!  I told him, I said "Doctor!  Everytime I look in the mirror, I get sick.  What's wrong with me?".  He said "I don't know, but your eyesight is perfect!"

I don't get no respect from anyone.  I called up Suicide Prevention, they tried to talk me into it.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/04/11 at 11:13 pm

http://www.celticstown.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/rodney-dangerfield.jpg

Why he looka so sad? :)

Written By: whistledog on 02/04/11 at 11:35 pm

Why he looka so sad? :)

Coz no one went to see any of the movies he made in the 90s lol

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/05/11 at 7:01 pm

Coz no one went to see any of the movies he made in the 90s lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFacWGBJ_cs

Aaw, shaddap you face.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/11/11 at 7:58 pm

Aaw, shaddap you face.

Don't stay out late
With the badda boys
Always shooting pool
Giussepe gonna flunka school
That'sa my mama!

Grazie!

BTW, that's not an accordion, that's a concertina.

Well, a thread can drift after six years...
:D

Check for new replies or respond here...