inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do you think 2015 will be like?

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/13/05 at 12:29 am

I've always liked to think about the future, but since this was presented in Back to the Future 2, it's even more of a "landmark" year to me. ;)

Even when I was alot younger, I was pretty sure the "BTTF 2015" was nothing like how "real" 2015 would turn out like. It was basically a way exaggerated, futuristic 80's vision of 2015 (kinda like how the Jetsons future was a whacked-out 1940's vision of how the 70s or the 80s, etc might've looked).

The world itself hasn't drastically changed since the late 60's. Okay, sure pop culture has changed tons, and technology is WAY better advanced. Really though, the typical way of life hasn't dramatically changed in 30 years or more. We're definitely not living in this Blade Runner or Disney World-type future.

I see the world 2015 as being just a slightly more advanced 2005. It will look just like 1975, 1985 and 1995, just with more technology and newer styles.

Pop culture-wise, Reality TV will probably be dead or morphed into something else. We'll have probably won (or hopefully finished) the war in Iraq, and maybe rap music will become more dance-oriented and less ghetto-ish. We'll probably be nearing the end of 80's nostalgia and gearing up to bring the 90s back.

I have a feeling the real 2015 and the real 1985 will not be nearly as different (other than the technological advances and the Internet) as 1985 and 1955 were. :D

Anyone else thought about this?

Subject: Re: What do you think 2015 will be like?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/13/05 at 12:39 am

I honestly don't see much changing in the next 10 years. Pop culture will of course change by then, as it is constantly evolving (or devolving), technology will be more advanced. Internet will be 10x faster than it is today (The broadband you get today will be slow compared to 2015), you will have special gadgets such as phones in which you can see the person you are chatting to.

Aside from pop culture and technology, I don't see much else changing.

On politcal grounds, hopefully things will be better by then. Heres hoping no major war has broken out, or the infamous '1984' scenario hasn't set in.  :-X

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/13/05 at 12:39 am

I'll be nearing 30 that year too...  :-X

Written By: Carrie on 07/13/05 at 2:03 am

We will all be living on the moon and driving space cars...

;) Seriously though, I agree with GRS->

I honestly don't see much changing in the next 10 years.
Aside from pop culture and technology, I don't see much else changing.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 07/13/05 at 7:13 am

Why think about what 2015 will be like. Just live for today. Don't worry about tomorrow.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/13/05 at 10:11 am

Why think about what 2015 will be like. Just live for today. Don't worry about tomorrow.

Sorry, lol. I guess I've always just been interested in this kind of thing since I was a kid.

Especially since I'm really into BTTF, the idea that we're only 10 years off from the grand "future" in Part 2 makes it even more fascinating. It's pretty obvious our 2015 won't be anything like that - I'm sure it'll be just a slightly more advanced "now".

PS: I think it's more like every 50-60 years the world drastically changes. The last time IMO was around the late 60s/early 70s, so I don't see the world itself HUGELY altering until like 2030 maybe.

Written By: Apricot on 07/13/05 at 11:22 am

Well, all the 2000s people will be bitching about how much culture sucks. I can see it now:

THE 2010s SUCK! I HATE THEM! THEY DON'T HAVE ANY GOOD SONGS. WHERE'S THE RAP AND THE EMO? I HATE THIS DECADE!

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/13/05 at 11:46 pm

Well, all the 2000s people will be bitching about how much culture sucks. I can see it now:

THE 2010s SUCK! I HATE THEM! THEY DON'T HAVE ANY GOOD SONGS. WHERE'S THE RAP AND THE EMO? I HATE THIS DECADE!

That's funny, but for better or worse, probably an accurate statement. ;)

I'll be in my early 30's and probably laughing my rear end off at them too - because I'll know that if those people were living a decade earlier (aka: now), they'd want the 90's back, so it never ends!

I admit I felt that way as early as 1993 or '94 myself (for things from my early childhood in the 80's) but I learned to just like various things from every decade.

Written By: robby76 on 07/14/05 at 5:47 am

I'd answer, but I'd probably go off into a rant about concrete jungles and pollution... ha ha! I'm not even that environmentally conscious really, I just like things to look nice.

I pray the world community is more tolerant of eachother and we can somehow live in peace... or perhaps just leave eachother alone!

Written By: NullandVoid on 07/14/05 at 9:22 am

I'm thinking lots of smog and styrofoam

Written By: Howard on 07/14/05 at 2:43 pm

I'll be 41 & Robin will be 36.

Written By: Spudboy on 07/14/05 at 5:35 pm

All of the new "Adults" would be reminiscing about the good old days of Boy Bands and rap... Hopefully the new style of music will be better, maybe go back to the ways of the 80's or something.        Everybody will have devil horn style haircuts and..... I better not predict anymore

Written By: Apricot on 07/14/05 at 7:00 pm

Everybody will have devil horn style haircuts

Would you say, then, that they would have Devil's Haircuts?  :D

Written By: Trimac21 on 07/15/05 at 1:06 am

While there hasn't been any new really important development in science or technology (ie. the invention of the automobile, atomic energy) the speed at which developments in computers, genetic technology.etc is progressing is probably faster than at any time in history. Ie., we are building on the basics, but doing it at a spectacular rate. In 1995, most household's didn't even own a computer. Now it would be odd not to have a Broadband connection. Even in 1995, the concept of 3G and video-calls for the masses for science fiction.

So, in fact I think 2015 will be quite different from today. The houses, cars.etc will probably look the same, and robots will not have taken over all our jobs, but such advancements as fuel-cell technology, and a more 'virtual environment' may (hopefully) result in a cleaner way of living and more equality for all. One thing, however, which will change alot is entertainment, with advanced Virtual reality systems (almost mimicing real-life experience) before 2020.

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/15/05 at 1:12 am

You will have special gadgets such as phones in which you can see the person you are chatting to.

Bloody hell mate, i already have one of those  ;D gettin a bit ahead of meself.

I'm guessing on a metal revival.. Leather and Guitars baby!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/15/05 at 1:44 am

Bloody hell mate, i already have one of those  ;D gettin a bit ahead of meself.

You're talking to someone who doesn't own a cellphone yet.  ;D

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/15/05 at 2:23 am

Alright mate, 1987 called, they're sick and tired of you, feel free to join us here in 2005 any time you feel ready  ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/15/05 at 2:24 am

Alright mate, 1987 called, they're sick and tired of you, feel free to join us here in 2005 any time you feel ready  ;D
;D

Written By: Dukefan on 07/15/05 at 9:58 pm

^Well, I agree, but it's just fun to think about stuff like this every now and then.

I'll be nearing 30 that year too...  :-X

LOL.  That's the bad side about thinking of the future...you think about how the world will change, but then you remember that you will age along with it.  ;D

I have to agree with the majority here in saying that I doubt things will be very different.  Kind of like 1995 and 2005.  We've progressed, but haven't had any outragious changes.  

Written By: Apricot on 07/15/05 at 10:01 pm

Nor do I.

Written By: rich1981 on 07/22/05 at 1:02 am

By 2015 I will be 34  :o and  my little brother will be 28  :o. I'm thinking robot technology will develop in that time period, hopefully robots that can perform household duties.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/22/05 at 1:03 am

hopefully robots that can perform household duties.
Or work duties.  :o

Written By: guest on 07/22/05 at 4:15 pm

Some big time psychics are saying there will be a spiritual change everywhere..

Then again people said we'd have flying cars and wear spacesuits years ago for the year 2000..WRONG!!!!!! :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/22/05 at 4:29 pm

I have no idea since i really don't see myself even being here by then :D

Written By: kairi747 on 07/28/05 at 12:30 pm

hazy, hot and humid  :(

Written By: Howard on 07/28/05 at 2:41 pm

Who knows what's going to happen 20 years now.I hope I am married by then with Robin. :)

Written By: Miss Nostalgia on 07/28/05 at 9:44 pm

I've always liked to think about the future, but since this was presented in Back to the Future 2, it's even more of a "landmark" year to me. ;)

Even when I was alot younger, I was pretty sure the "BTTF 2015" was nothing like how "real" 2015 would turn out like. It was basically a way exaggerated, futuristic 80's vision of 2015 (kinda like how the Jetsons future was a whacked-out 1940's vision of how the 70s or the 80s, etc might've looked).

The world itself hasn't drastically changed since the late 60's. Okay, sure pop culture has changed tons, and technology is WAY better advanced. Really though, the typical way of life hasn't dramatically changed in 30 years or more. We're definitely not living in this Blade Runner or Disney World-type future.

I see the world 2015 as being just a slightly more advanced 2005. It will look just like 1975, 1985 and 1995, just with more technology and newer styles.

Pop culture-wise, Reality TV will probably be dead or morphed into something else. We'll have probably won (or hopefully finished) the war in Iraq, and maybe rap music will become more dance-oriented and less ghetto-ish. We'll probably be nearing the end of 80's nostalgia and gearing up to bring the 90s back.

I have a feeling the real 2015 and the real 1985 will not be nearly as different (other than the technological advances and the Internet) as 1985 and 1955 were. :D

Anyone else thought about this?

I am not into thinking about the future. I always think of the past and history, but I still live in the present. But thinking of the past & old times is always my pleasure in life.

Written By: A.B. on 07/28/05 at 11:25 pm

2015...that's 10 years away. Holy crap, I'll be 29, that's almost dead!!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/28/05 at 11:28 pm

2015...that's 10 years away. Holy crap, I'll be 29, that's almost dead!!
Way to make those who will be turning 29 or older this year feel better.  ::) ;D

Written By: A.B. on 07/28/05 at 11:33 pm

heheh...sorry, I was over reacting. It's not almost dead, but it means that you're entering the "serious years".

Ages 1-12 are the kid years, no worries there.

13-17 are the teen years, where you grow up and learn alot of stuff.

18 is the year where you become a legal adult (where I'm from anyway).

19 is basically the same as 18 but you're a year older.

20-25 are the years where all you wanna do is par-tay and have fun.

26-29, you're doing a little bit more growing up.

30-39 is when you really grow up and beomce what you wanna be for the rest of your life.

40 onwards is just a play it by ear era.

That's how I see it anyway.

Written By: Howard on 07/29/05 at 3:19 pm

Who knows what's going to happen 20 years from now.I'm going to ask Susan Miller that question. ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...