inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Charlie And The Chocolate Factory....what did you think?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/17/05 at 11:06 pm

Have any of you guys seen the movie yet?  I haven't had the chance to get there yet, however, I have been keeping up with the reviews of people who have seen it, and overall, it's been receiving good reviews.  Alot of people are upset because it differs from the original, "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory", however, they are not realizing that this new movie is similar to the book, which came out way before "Willy Wonka" ever did....so therefore, it's more accurate.

Erin :)

Subject: Re: Charlie And The Chocolate Factory....what did you think?

Written By: ADH13 on 07/18/05 at 1:29 am

Have any of you guys seen the movie yet?  I haven't had the chance to get there yet, however, I have been keeping up with the reviews of people who have seen it, and overall, it's been receiving good reviews.  Alot of people are upset because it differs from the original, "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory", however, they are not realizing that this new movie is similar to the book, which came out way before "Willy Wonka" ever did....so therefore, it's more accurate.

I am not much of a "remake" fan, so I probably wouldn't like it much... especially since every time I see Johnny Depp, I can't get his role in 21 Jump Street out of my head.. I used to watch that show so religiously, that Johnny Depp will always be "Officer Tom Hansen" to me.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/18/05 at 10:18 am

Tim Burton/Johnny Depp = gotta see it!
:)

Maybe I'll go w/ gf on Friday.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 07/18/05 at 10:20 am

Haven't seen it, but judging by his past works, I think Burton was the perfect choice of director. He seems so capable of capturing Dahl's imagination and creativity on screen, but i'll say no more until I see the movie. Depp was a wierd choice for Wonka, though  :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/18/05 at 10:25 am

Haven't seen it, but judging by his past works, I think Burton was the perfect choice of director. He seems so capable of capturing Dahl's imagination and creativity on screen, but i'll say no more until I see the movie. Depp was a wierd choice for Wonka, though   :-\\

Depp is great for the role!  He'll contrast well with Wilder's sunny-style Wonka? 
At least they didn't pick Pauly Shore!
;D

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 07/18/05 at 10:27 am

Depp is great for the role!  He'll contrast well with Wilder's sunny-style Wonka? 
At least they didn't pick Pauly Shore!
;D

;D True. Like I said, i'd have to see the movie myself to make a final decision  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/18/05 at 10:42 am

I am waiting to see it down at the OMNI-MAX in Pittsburgh....it's this big circular room that you sit in....and your seat goes back...and you look up and view the movie (across the entire wall/ceiling of the building)....it's pretty rad!

Written By: kairi747 on 07/18/05 at 5:23 pm

:D  OMG!  I LOVED it!  I was afraid I was going into it with my expectations too high, but I was not let down.  When I heard Tim Burton/Johnny Depp, I knew I had to go!  I took my two kids, but we are going to go again with my husband this time!  I will tell you that I am not a big movie fanatic so for me to pay twice, it had to be good.  It was similar to the original in some aspects (where it had to be - from the book), but Burton took it in a different direction - flashbacks explaining Wonka's dark character.  It was awesome!

And Odyssey, you will get Officer Tom Hansen out of your head with Depp's Willy Wonka.  I thought of his character as "Michael Jackson-ish." 

Go see it - NOW!  ;D

Written By: kairi747 on 07/18/05 at 5:24 pm

Oh, and BTW, there is another Tim Burton stop-action movie coming out in September "The Corpse Bride" which looks like "NBX part 2" with the main cahracter being the voice of...Johnny Depp!  ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/18/05 at 7:54 pm

that's awesome...now I am really excited to see it!!!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/18/05 at 8:13 pm

I heard that all the King Of Molestation fans...."Screwball Nation" enjoyed the premiere of Michael Jackson And The Chocolate Factory much better :o

Written By: lorac614 on 07/19/05 at 10:19 am

I saw it and I LOVED it!!

My daughter wanted to see it and I tried to get out of going because I never like the first one, hated it actually and I'm not a fan of Johnny Depp.  Before we went I kept saying that I'm going to hate it and I wanted to stay home...I'm so glad I didn't.  I'd love to see it again, really!!

Written By: onaree on 07/19/05 at 1:28 pm

I want to see it, but only because Johnny Depp is in it.

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/19/05 at 11:09 pm

I enjoyed it

Written By: Apricot on 07/20/05 at 11:44 am

Everyone I've talked to says they were disappointed... and those people are similar to me... although all the females I've talked to have said they enjoyed it.

Written By: Apricot on 07/20/05 at 11:45 am

I heard that all the King Of Molestation fans...."Screwball Nation" enjoyed the premiere of Michael Jackson And The Chocolate Factory much better :o

Um.. what?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/24/05 at 6:26 pm

Chris and I went to see this movie last night....it was wonderful!! I will have to say that I enjoyed it even more than "Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory"....it went a lot more in depth with Willy Wonka's life, as well as Charlie and his family.  It was an awesome movie, and I would recommend everyone to see it!

Written By: Dagwood on 07/24/05 at 6:32 pm

Give me your opinion, Erin.  Do you think it is too dark for my  7 1/2 year old to see?  She wants to but the previews look a little scary for her.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/24/05 at 7:03 pm

Give me your opinion, Erin.  Do you think it is too dark for my  7 1/2 year old to see?  She wants to but the previews look a little scary for her.

Hey Dagwood!

IMO, I really don't think that it is THAT dark.  I mean sure, some of the scenery is on the dark side, and the characters are odd (esp. Willy Wonka)....they are almost animated-like (as other Tim Burton movie characters)...but it's not scary at all.  Some of the dialogue will be sure to go over her head, but there is nothing offensive in the movie (no swearing, off color stuff).  There were other scenes that were very colorful (in the chocolate factory)...and even though I am 28 years old, I found myself feeling like a kid again, while I was watching it.  The little boy that plays Charlie is adorable, and such a great actor. There are a lot of scenes that are very much like "Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory"...but there is a great deal that is very different.  I would say, take your daughter...I think BOTH of you will thoroughly enjoy the movie!

Written By: gemini61 on 07/24/05 at 7:25 pm

My daughter saw it at the drive-in last night. She loved it, so I guess I'll go see it now. Probably at the IMAX though.

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/24/05 at 8:21 pm

its fine for children...there are a few jokes they wont understand, but its fine for children....about as dangerous as a old Looney Toons cartoon

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/05 at 8:46 pm

Um.. what?
Just a joke, but I digress ::)

Written By: Gambler on 07/25/05 at 4:28 am

Got myself the pirate copy of it. My little cousin came round to watch it. Scared the sh!t out of him.

He has seen the original version of it with Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka and he likes that version alot, but he wanted to see the new version just to see what he thought of it. He thought it was alot scarier than the original.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/25/05 at 5:47 am

Got myself the pirate copy of it.

Pirating movies is bad, mmmkay.  ::)

Written By: Gambler on 07/25/05 at 5:54 am

Pirating movies is bad, mmmkay.  ::)

It's cheaper than going to the Cinema and the copy i've got is fantastic quality. No it's not bad to pirating films as long as you knoe what your doing. I think it's fantastic.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/25/05 at 5:55 am

It's cheaper than going to the Cinema and the copy i've got is fantastic quality. No it's not bad to pirating films as long as you knoe what your doing. I think it's fantastic.
How much was the DVD?

Written By: Gambler on 07/25/05 at 6:18 am

How much was the DVD?

I paid a fiver for it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/25/05 at 6:19 am

I paid a fiver for it.
The same price as my local cinema, if you see a movie before 5pm.

Written By: Gambler on 07/25/05 at 6:45 am

The same price as my local cinema, if you see a movie before 5pm.

Not where I live it's not. It seven pounds fifty before 5pm and a pound more after.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/25/05 at 6:54 am

Not where I live it's not. It seven pounds fifty before 5pm and a pound more after.
I didn't know the USA used "pounds"

Written By: karen on 07/25/05 at 7:09 am

he's British as well

Written By: Gambler on 07/25/05 at 7:10 am

Both me and Philip are British ::)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/25/05 at 7:12 am

Both me and Philip are British ::)

me too...and Pauly bird  ;D ;D

Written By: Paul on 07/25/05 at 7:17 am

me too...and Pauly bird   ;D ;D

'Pauly bird?!!'

Care to elaborate on that, Jules?!!

In a desperate attempt to keep back on topic, 'C&TCF' was one of the first 'proper' books I remember reading...

I was 31 at the time...

Written By: Dagwood on 07/25/05 at 7:23 am

Hey Dagwood!

IMO, I really don't think that it is THAT dark. I mean sure, some of the scenery is on the dark side, and the characters are odd (esp. Willy Wonka)....they are almost animated-like (as other Tim Burton movie characters)...but it's not scary at all. Some of the dialogue will be sure to go over her head, but there is nothing offensive in the movie (no swearing, off color stuff). There were other scenes that were very colorful (in the chocolate factory)...and even though I am 28 years old, I found myself feeling like a kid again, while I was watching it. The little boy that plays Charlie is adorable, and such a great actor. There are a lot of scenes that are very much like "Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory"...but there is a great deal that is very different. I would say, take your daughter...I think BOTH of you will thoroughly enjoy the movie!

Thanks, Erin.  I will be sure to take her, then.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/25/05 at 7:25 am

'Pauly bird?!!'

In a desperate attempt to keep back on topic, 'C&TCF' was one of the first 'proper' books I remember reading...

I was 31 at the time...

Sorry   ;D

had a dear friend when I was a kid called Paul  and everyone called him 'Pauly Bird'

I remenber he was the image of the 'Milky Bar Kid'

OK OK I'll stop
  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/25/05 at 7:39 am

I used pounds!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/25/05 at 7:40 am

'Pauly bird?!!'

I was 31 at the time...
...and was TV yesterday, but once again I missed it!

Written By: Howard on 07/25/05 at 5:38 pm

I saw the movie.It was pretty good.I didn't quite care for Johnny Depp's character,he did sound a little bit too childish but overall a good film. :)

Written By: Dagwood on 07/25/05 at 6:15 pm

Dag, we took the kids Friday night and they loved it. As Erin said, there are some jokes that will probably go over her head (although my 2 oldest got the "squirrel-nuts" joke, but they're boys ;)) My 7 y.o. got a bit scared when they got on the boat, but he said the "other one" (the original) was scarier in that part.

IMO, I wasn't overly impressed by it. It wasn't as good or as dark as I thought it would be. :-\\ It wasn't bad, but I liked the original one a little better...

Thanks.  I will probably take her this weekend.  I'll let you guys know what she thinks. :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/25/05 at 6:28 pm

My son Brian went and said he liked the original much better!

Written By: karen on 07/26/05 at 10:50 am

My son Brian went and said he liked the original much better!

By the original did he mean the original film Willie Wonka?  Or has he read the book and thinks this film is not like the book?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/26/05 at 10:54 am

By the original did he mean the original film Willie Wonka?  Or has he read the book and thinks this film is not like the book?

that's true..because the "original" was really the book...the 70's Willy Wonka was was the one that differed from the book itself. This movie, Charlie & The Chocolate Factory is more like the book.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/26/05 at 11:09 am

Sorry, I meant the original movie, with Gene Wilder ;)

Written By: Howard on 07/26/05 at 6:08 pm

Why couldn't they make Gene Wilder in a guest appearance role?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/26/05 at 9:11 pm

Why could they make Gene Wilder in a guest appearance role?

as an oompa loompa?

Written By: excitementbuilds on 07/27/05 at 5:15 am

its not the same, the old one was better, but i can totally appreceate the technological adavances of the new one

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/27/05 at 11:54 am

I actually like this one. The old one's okay. But, this one is closer to the actual book.

Tanya

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/05 at 5:05 pm

I have been told that the squirrel has better acting than Johnny Depp in the film

Written By: Howard on 07/27/05 at 6:14 pm

as an oompa loompa?

The original owner of Willy Wonka and make Johnny Depp Charlie Wonka instead of Charlie Bucket.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/27/05 at 9:45 pm

The original owner of Willy Wonka and make Johnny Depp Charlie Wonka instead of Charlie Bucket.

um........huh? ???

Written By: Howard on 07/28/05 at 3:05 pm

um........huh? ???

Make Johnny Depp Gene Wilder's younger son(Charlie Wonka) instead of his name being Charlie Bucket in the movie.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/28/05 at 4:40 pm

Make Johnny Depp Gene Wilder's younger son(Charlie Wonka) instead of his name being Charlie Bucket in the movie.

Johnny Depp plays Willie Wonka not Charlie Bucket.  Charlie Bucket is one of the kids.

Written By: Bruno on 08/01/05 at 9:55 am

I've seen the movie and I think it should be released on DVD by September or October. I think it's about 90% better than "Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory" and I can't find any site to download Charlie And The Chocolate Factory.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/16/05 at 4:01 pm

Bought it last week, wished I had rented it.  Went up on amazon for low money in the hopes of getting rid of it as quickly as possible.

Johnny Depp is not convincing in the role, almost unwatchable really.  The CGI (computer generated imagery) is boring, and poorly rendered.  I've seen video games that were better rendered.

The scene I wanted to see the most was the nut sorting room with Veruca Salt, the bit they altered in the 70s due to the limitations of their budget/technology.  It was actually one of the better parts of this adaptation, maybe the only highlight really.  The shooting of the Oompa-lompas was cool, but the songs were "modernized" to make them more palatable I suppose.

The widow of the late Ronald Dahl said this version was closer to the book and what Dahl would have prefered.  I couldn't disagree more.  The ending is changed, the Wonka character is altered significantly with the "insights into his past" making him into, well, I wouldn't say monster, but certainly lacking in many ways.

I guess we should be thankful Depp doesn't sing.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/16/05 at 4:34 pm

Bought it last week, wished I had rented it.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/16/05 at 5:04 pm

hey, I'll buy it from you...my little boy wants it for Christmas! ;)

it's on amazon right now as the cheapest used disc... buy it quick!

Written By: danootaandme on 11/16/05 at 5:10 pm

Am I the only one who liked it?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/16/05 at 7:06 pm

Am I the only one who liked it?

No...I actually loved it!

Written By: Skippy on 11/16/05 at 9:33 pm

I didn't see it(no kids to go to the theatre with  ;D), but I have a question for those who did. In the previews they show Oompa-Loompas. Were there multiple Oomp-Loompa actors, or was it just one actor CGI'ed to hades?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/16/05 at 9:38 pm

I didn't see it(no kids to go to the theatre with

Written By: Southern Image on 11/21/05 at 4:19 pm

I like the remade version better then the orginal. 

Written By: barefootrobin on 11/21/05 at 4:25 pm

I loved it!  It was one of my favorite books as a child, Johnny Depp is sexier than anything, and I thought it was well done.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/30/07 at 2:46 pm

Since last reading this thread I have now seen the movie concerned, and I enjoyed it.

Written By: whistledog on 07/30/07 at 2:51 pm

I bought the DVD, watched it, loved it, but then sold it LOL

It really was a good movie.  I was quite surprised at just how much I enjoyed it! :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/01/07 at 9:11 am

I hated it... the original is far superior.  Much darker.  Johnny Depp is basically just doing his standard "wacky Johnny Depp" character.  The computer generated effects looked fake too, the boat ride was just pathetic looking.

Written By: NbC on 08/01/07 at 11:55 am

Nothing beats the original.  That wasn't a movie that I felt shouldn't have been re-made.  I didn't hate it.  I watched it in the theaters and even purchased the DVD but I have yet to play it.

I wonder if they would ever do a remake of The Wizard of Oz?

Written By: ralfy on 09/01/16 at 9:57 am

"Why Gene Wilder hated the Willy Wonka remake"

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/movies/why-gene-wilder-hated-the-willy-wonka-remake/news-story/e7bb3321cadced2ea0ba8f152a2a07cf

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/01/16 at 10:19 am

I really don't get about how a lot of people hate the 2005 remake so much. I know that most of them grew up with the 1971 original, but it just seems extremely overrated to start with. For one thing, I just dislike the premise of the 1971 version. Why couldn't Roald Dahl could advise these people onto what made his book a success? It would've been great. To me, the 2005 remake was indeed better than the 1971 original. I liked of how Johnny Depp played Wonka, even though his role is a bit controversial to some.

I just think people hate the remake because of how they stuck so much with the 1971 original, even though they probably have kids who maybe liked the 2005 remake better. Maybe it's just me, since I grew up with the 2005 remake. I liked of how I could recognize better with the remake, since it was released when I was only a kid. With these people who were probably 70s, 80s, and 90s kids, they just think that Gene Wilder is their Jesus or something. I may be an ass towards people who grew up with the original. However, I think they're an ass to me, since they tend to think that the 1971 original is better as a fact. It's just one thing that pisses me off ever since I heard that these people hated the 2005 remake. Just why though?

Written By: Zelek3 on 09/01/16 at 1:27 pm

I did not like Johnny Depp's performance in this movie. As other reviewers have mentioned, he acts and looks too much like Michael Jackson.

The ending of the original version, where Wonka says Charlie and his family can live in the factory, comes across as warm and fatherly due to Wilder's performance. But the ending of the remake, where Depp's Wonka says Charlie can live in the factory if he DOESN'T bring his family, comes across as cold and pedo-ish. :P Then we get this subplot about Wonka's father which not only feels tacked-on, but also messes with the book.

Really, the only thing I liked about this remake is the visual style.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/02/16 at 6:57 am

I was not impressed with the remake with Johnny Depp, I find it hard to find a film I like him in. So far that has only been "Donnie Brasco". As for CatCF, it was one of those films I was would end much sooner.

Check for new replies or respond here...