inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ashes 2005 - England Win!!!

Written By: maddog on 07/21/05 at 5:58 pm

Anyone see the first day of the Ashes series from Lord's today?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/4700181.stm

I was working in a large office here in the UK today, at lunchtime (Australia 97-5) the blokes were all going wild with excitement!
I have to say I was trying to sound a note of caution, England haven't won anything yet etc. But by mid afternoon (Australia 190 all out),
even I was getting excited.

Oh well. I should have listened to my own warning bells  ::).

Hats off the Glenn McGrath though - I can't remember seeing such a fantastic spell of bowling.

Subject: Re: Ashes 2005 - Glenn McGrath

Written By: jaytee on 07/21/05 at 6:13 pm

Congratulations to Glenn McGrath - one of Australia's nice guys.  We did watch the cricket last night.  Paul went to bed very despondent, turned the TV on as soon as he woke to find that the Aussies had staged a fight back.  All happy again  :)

Written By: maddog on 07/22/05 at 3:13 am

Thanks for your restrained response and for not rubbing our noses in it Janine ;).
I guess I should say that Australia haven't won anything (yet) either so we'll see what happens today.

It must have been a fantastic atmosphere in the Australian dressing room at the end of their innings. They may have been skittled out for what looked like a low score but I can just imagine Glenn McGrath's intensity and passion to get out there and get stuck into the England batsmen, particularly going after his 500th Test wicket.
It must have been a great feeling for him to look back on his bowling figures of 5-21 at the end of the day.

He put on some poncey shoes with "500" written in gold letters on them after he took his 500th wicket. I thought that was a bit naff, how did it go down in Australia!?

PS I should add that I have nothing but admiration for his fantastic bowling peformance, it was just the shoes that I wasn't too keen on.

Written By: mrgazpacho on 07/22/05 at 10:02 am

He put on some poncey shoes with "500" written in gold letters on them after he took his 500th wicket. I thought that was a bit naff, how did it go down in Australia!?

It doesn't sound like his normal behaviour - I suspect Warney dared him... :P

Written By: maddog on 07/22/05 at 10:59 am

I suspect Warney dared him... :P

Maybe....but they were proper pre-prepared shoes, like he'd brought them over on the plane specially for the occasion.
Actually I suspect they were custom made in advance by his shoe sponsor - Pony - and he got paid for wearing them.

If he hadn't worn them and the TV cameras hadn't zoomed in on them, I would not know that Glenn McGrath's shoe sponsor is Pony,
so I guess from their point of view it worked  ::). But I still think it was a naff thing to do.

Written By: mrgazpacho on 07/23/05 at 6:29 am

Sponsors - even worse influences than fat airheaded team-mates! :D

Written By: maddog on 07/24/05 at 6:42 am

Rain at Lord's today is so far sparing England from an ignominious defeat. I am downhearted due to England's inept performance and a very strong looking Australian team.

I heard on the BBC radio commentary that Glenn McGrath is being sponsored for every run he makes in this series for an Australian children's charity, so I can just about let him off the poncey shoes incident.

Written By: Powerslave on 07/24/05 at 5:37 pm

:)

I think the shoes were made by the sponsor in anticipation of his entering the 500 Club. It's not as if it wasn't a foreseeable possibility.

How about those Aussie bowling figures? Brett Lee is a demon.

Written By: maddog on 07/25/05 at 6:59 am

Ouch! Painful defeat for England in the first Test.

After much hype about England's improved competitiveness for this Ashes series but really we've only shown some competitive bowling from Harmison, Flintoff and Jones and some fluid batting from Pietersen.

Vaughan, Bell and Flintoff all failed miserably with the bat, wicket keeping was amateurish and 6 dropped catches in the field was simply embarrassing. Dickie Bird (famous former English umpire, now author and media type) said of Pietersen's dropped catch of Martyn on 21 'E's dropped the Ashes with that one'.

On the Australian side you have Warne, Mcgrath & Lee looking on top form, only Jason Gillespie looks a little suspect and not quite the bowler he was. Martyn, Gilchrist, Katich and Clarke all look in good nick with the bat and the Australian fielding has been outstanding, notably Martyn's catch on the boundary off Pietersen and Lee's caught & bowled off Strauss.

All in all England need a massive improvement to mount a real challenge in the next Test and for the series.

Written By: Paul on 07/25/05 at 7:05 am

Can't we exhume Jim Laker?

Written By: Powerslave on 07/25/05 at 7:28 am

Lee hasn't played Test cricket for two years because the selectors wouldn't pick him. Too bad for England; he's making them pay for his suffering.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/25/05 at 7:40 am

Can't we exhume Jim Laker?
Can Fred Trueman still bowl?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/25/05 at 7:41 am

Ouch! Painful defeat for England in the first Test.

After much hype about England's improved competitiveness for this Ashes series but really we've only shown some competitive bowling from Harmison, Flintoff and Jones and some fluid batting from Pietersen.

Vaughan, Bell and Flintoff all failed miserably with the bat, wicket keeping was amateurish and 6 dropped catches in the field was simply embarrassing. Dickie Bird (famous former English umpire, now author and media type) said of Pietersen's dropped catch of Martyn on 21 'E's dropped the Ashes with that one'.

On the Australian side you have Warne, Mcgrath & Lee looking on top form, only Jason Gillespie looks a little suspect and not quite the bowler he was. Martyn, Gilchrist, Katich and Clarke all look in good nick with the bat and the Australian fielding has been outstanding, notably Martyn's catch on the boundary off Pietersen and Lee's caught & bowled off Strauss.

All in all England need a massive improvement to mount a real challenge in the next Test and for the series.
Bring back Tufnell!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/25/05 at 2:01 pm

Australia bowler Glenn McGrath (pictured below) has loaned to the MCC Museum the ball with which he took his 500th Test wicket, at Lord’s, on the first day of the npower Test match between England and Australia. Also on loan are the gold and white ‘500’ boots which had been made especially for the Test, in anticipation of him claiming his landmark wicket at the 'Home of Cricket'.

http://www.lords.org/data/images/width150/mcgrath-and-boots-portrait-36165.jpg

Written By: maddog on 07/25/05 at 3:06 pm

Naff shoes Glenn. Naff naff naff naff naff!

Written By: maddog on 08/04/05 at 4:35 am

Glenn McGrath is injured and unable to play in the Edgebaston Test.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/4744795.stm

Huge sighs of relief from the England team and their fans, unarguably a blow for Australia.
I don't know Michael Kasprowicz, any Australians care to comment on him?

Written By: Paul on 08/04/05 at 4:48 am

Huge sighs of relief from the England team and their fans, unarguably a blow for Australia.

Hurrah! Much rejoicing...let's have a public holiday!

Probably a McGrath clone knowing our luck...

Written By: Powerslave on 08/04/05 at 5:49 am

He's no McGrath, but I wouldn't be breathing easy.

Written By: maddog on 08/04/05 at 7:45 am

Awww, flippin' 'eck!

Kasprowicz has just come of for his first spell after lunch.....and taken 2 wickets!

Michael Vaughan needs a big innings to consolidate now....let's see.

Written By: Paul on 08/04/05 at 8:00 am

The phrase 'out of the frying pan into the fire' jumps at me...

Still...go to it, lads...you've got nothing to fear (hopefully!)

Blast! Vaughan's innings come crashing to a halt at 24...

Written By: mrgazpacho on 08/04/05 at 9:13 am

Flintoff and Pietersen monstering the bowlers now... 100 off 96 balls.

Just shows the worth of McGrath - if they take the same risks against him, it usually ends in tears before long.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/05 at 10:53 am

Phew!

Written By: maddog on 08/06/05 at 5:17 am

Oh @*$&!

Saturday morning, 40 minutes into the third day and England are 32-4 as I write (that's 4-32 to you Australians ;)).

I'm listening to the BBC commentary on the internet, Kevin Pietersen has just hit two sixes in one over off Shane Warne so that's 44-4.
I have a feeling that England's hopes reside with Kevin Pietersen (well known son of errrrmmmmm.....South Africa!).

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/05 at 5:51 am

Oh @*$&!

Saturday morning, 40 minutes into the third day and England are 32-4 as I write (that's 4-32 to you Australians ;)).

I'm listening to the BBC commentary on the internet, Kevin Pietersen has just hit two sixes in one over off Shane Warne so that's 44-4.
I have a feeling that England's hopes reside with Kevin Pietersen (well known son of errrrmmmmm.....South Africa!).

Kevin Pietersen should know how to played Shane Warne, as SW is his County Team Captain.

Written By: maddog on 08/06/05 at 6:38 am

Kevin Pietersen should know how to played Shane Warne, as SW is his County Team Captain.

...and vice versa, of course :(.

Pietersen caught Gilchrtist, bowled Warne for 20.
I'm not convinced that Pietersen's glove actually made contact with the ball but hey ho, Kevin's back in the pavilion.

As one of the commentators said this morning, Australia have shown plenty of quality, passion and commitment in this morning's session, I can but take my hat off to them. It will just make it all that more satisfying when we beat them though ;).

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/06/05 at 7:09 am

It will just make it all that more satisfying when we beat them though ;).

Oooh, maddog, shame it won't be any time soon though hey ?  :P :P :P :P :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/05 at 7:10 am

Lunch has finished, players and umpires are back on the field.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/06/05 at 7:15 am

Lunch has finished, players and umpires are back on the field.

As I was reading this, Jones got out to Lee, and the downfall continues  :)

Written By: Paul on 08/06/05 at 7:17 am

One out of five would be nice...

...whether it'll be acheived this year, I couldn't say!

Bastards! (In the 'friendly' vernacular, of course!)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/05 at 7:38 am

It looks like Freddy Flintoff has an injured shoulder, he is not hitting so well.

Written By: maddog on 08/06/05 at 4:59 pm

I shall refrain from comment until tomorrow  ;).

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/06/05 at 5:01 pm

I shall refrain from comment until tomorrow  ;).

Quite so maddog !  The ball appears to be in your court, so to speak, what ?  :)

One out of five would be nice...

...whether it'll be acheived this year, I couldn't say!

Bastards! (In the 'friendly' vernacular, of course!)

;D  I took it as friendly, without thinking  :)

Looks like i may need a re-think, you bastards are gonna square the series and make it interesting for once  :o  OMG !

And that means I won't be able to resurrect my favourite banner, that we Aussies got to use in the crowd at Upton Park a few years ago, when at the end of the game I saw a scoreline I had never thought I would see in my lifetime: England 1 Australia 3  :o :P :P :P

So I will display here just for old times' sake hee hee  ;D

Written By: Paul on 08/06/05 at 5:09 pm

Looks like i may need a re-think, you bastards are gonna square the series and make it interesting for once  :o  OMG !

Hang on, old chap!

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory? That's...that's our job...!!

Still, makes it more of an interesting prospect...(unfurls moth-eaten St George flag...)

And that means I won't be able to resurrect my favourite banner, that we Aussies got to use in the crowd at Upton Park a few years ago, when at the end of the game I saw a scoreline I had never thought I would see in my lifetime: England 1 Australia 3  :o :P :P :P

So I will display here just for old times' sake hee hee  ;D

Bastard!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/06/05 at 5:29 pm

Bastard!

Thank you very much, your compliment has been accepted  :D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/07/05 at 5:43 am

Maddog ?

Paul ?

Getting nervous ?

20 runs to go at this point  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Written By: Paul on 08/07/05 at 6:05 am

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory? That's...that's our job...!!

How those words could come back to haunt me...!!

Five for Aus to win...

Written By: Paul on 08/07/05 at 6:15 am

Phew! Gottem with 2 runs to spare!

Fantastic stuff...not saying that because we've squared the series, but because that was, without much doubt, one of the greatest test matches I think I've ever listened to/seen...

If all matches were guaranteed to be like that, we could even sell the game to the Americans!

Well done lads, and kudos to the opposition for pushing us to the wire...

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/07/05 at 6:17 am

Fantastic stuff...not saying that because we've squared the series, but one of the greatest test matches I think I've ever listened to/seen...

If all matches were guaranteed to be like that, we could even sell the game to the Americans!

Let's not TOO cariied away Paulie  ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D

CONGRATULATIONS - I got a Sunday night's entertainment I didn't think would happen  :)

Philip - Sorry to have left you out  ;)

Written By: Paul on 08/07/05 at 6:19 am

Let's not TOO cariied away Paulie  ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Heh! There's true...

CONGRATULATIONS - I got a Sunday night's entertainment I didn't think would happen  :)

I started off with hardly any fingernails...I daren't look at what's left now!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/05 at 6:41 am

Fantastic stuff...not saying that because we've squared the series, but because that was, without much doubt, one of the greatest test matches I think I've ever listened to/seen...

A great win for England and by two runs too!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/05 at 8:04 am

A remarkable picture from a remarkable finish, Andrew Flintoff immediately consoles Brett Lee, in what was a remarkable sporting gesture

http://content.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/52100/52152.jpg

Written By: maddog on 08/07/05 at 8:04 am

Hey Luke, I was deliberately vague about exactly WHEN we might eventually beat Australia in a Test match...and for most of this morning I was thinking I'd been wise to keep my counsel last night and not celebrate too early!

I really felt that the Australians were going to do it...after leaping around the room and disturbing the neighbourhood at the end, I also felt a tinge of sympathy for
Kasprowicz who put on such a great last man stand with Lee, only to be given out when the replay showed this was actually the wrong decision (his glove
was off the bat when the ball hit his glove, technically this is not out!).

This was just a fantastic Test match, I'm not a regular cricket fan by any means but this Ashes series has got me more excited than anything since 1981.
Andrew Flintoff yesterday was just incredible to watch and Shane Warne earned my permanent respect for his outstanding performance with bat and ball, but
also for his sportsmanship. He was quick to congratulate English batsmen who actually managed to fend off some of his more devious deliveries.

Roll on Thursday here in Manchester for the 3rd Test. I tried to get a ticket 2 months ago but it was already sold out, could have sold out 4 times over apparently.

Written By: jaytee on 08/07/05 at 5:21 pm

Congrats to the Poms  :)  All the males in the household are a bit cranky ::)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/08/05 at 8:09 am

Hey Luke, I was deliberately vague about exactly WHEN we might eventually beat Australia in a Test match...and for most of this morning I was thinking I'd been wise to keep my counsel last night and not celebrate too early!

You are a wise man indeed  :)

I really felt that the Australians were going to do it...after leaping around the room and disturbing the neighbourhood at the end, I also felt a tinge of sympathy for Kasprowicz who put on such a great last man stand with Lee, only to be given out when the replay showed this was actually the wrong decision (his glove was off the bat when the ball hit his glove, technically this is not out!).

An honest man too  :)  However, Billy Bowden didn't have that benefit, and there was a deflection amid the whirring arms and bat, so his decision was understandable !

This was just a fantastic Test match, I'm not a regular cricket fan by any means but this Ashes series has got me more excited than anything since 1981. Andrew Flintoff yesterday was just incredible to watch and Shane Warne earned my permanent respect for his outstanding performance with bat and ball, but also for his sportsmanship. He was quick to congratulate English batsmen who actually managed to fend off some of his more devious deliveries.

I agree however it nonetheless remains a shame that as an individual and ambassador for my country he remains a jerk OFF the cricket field.  There are distinct parallels to be observed.  Benaud/Warne is the same as Pele/Maradona. 

Richie Benaud & Pele : Respected the world over for their integrity, the way they carried themselves, the example they set for youngsters.  Both are renowned and remembered for what they have done OFF the sporting field as well as on it.

Shane Warne & Diego Maradona : Also great sporting talents, but gee whiz, what better examples of "How much greater could they have been" had they simply let their skills do the talking for them...  Warne has survived his crises better than did Maradona, his sins/excesses have perhaps been of a 'lesser nature'.  Diego is a perfect example of someone who had it all and threw it away.

I digress.  It is frightening to think that not too long ago Warne was being touted as a future captain  :o ::)

Roll on Thursday here in Manchester for the 3rd Test. I tried to get a ticket 2 months ago but it was already sold out, could have sold out 4 times over apparently.

Excellent, sorry you can't make it.  One word of advice.  The biggest problem the Englishmen now face is overconfidence.  It was exactly what brought you undone in the afrorementioned football match against us a few years ago.  Your press were talking in terms of "how many" would be scored against us.  Your clubs refused to release most of the top line players because it was "only Australia" you were playing against.  In my wildest dreams I still didn't think we would win, but I knew also there wouldn't be more than one or two goals in it.

Right now, you face the same dangers.  One match does not make a summer.  Some parting thoughts :

The Aussies played like crap for most of the match and still only just lost.  Your boys played out of their skin and still only just won.  It is worth thinking about.  Resistence is futile  ;D

Paul and Phil, take note also heh heh  :P :P :P :P :)

Written By: Paul on 08/08/05 at 9:26 am

One word of advice.  The biggest problem the Englishmen now face is overconfidence.  It was exactly what brought you undone in the afrorementioned football match against us a few years ago.  Your press were talking in terms of "how many" would be scored against us.  Your clubs refused to release most of the top line players because it was "only Australia" you were playing against.  In my wildest dreams I still didn't think we would win, but I knew also there wouldn't be more than one or two goals in it.

Now sure how your press operates, but over here it's probably the most two-faced thing on Earth...

They love all the big 'talk up', but should things fail to materialise as they should, then they're rapidly queueing up to stick the boot in...

There are still plenty of us who'll turn round and say, 'Ah! But it was only a friendly'...true, but it doesn't bode well...

I knew that game was going to be close and, truth be told, I was amazed, but not 100% surprised that we lost it...the quicker S G-E goes, the better - the talent's there, but we'll prove nothing under this joker...

Anyway, what's with all this 'only Australia' nonsense? There's some fine players in that outfit...

Right now, you face the same dangers.  One match does not make a summer.  Some parting thoughts :

The Aussies played like crap for most of the match and still only just lost.  Your boys played out of their skin and still only just won.  It is worth thinking about.  Resistence is futile  ;D

True, but taking a confidence 'knock' certainly isn't needed!

Anyway, you lot would've only got bored winning the series 5-0...

Still, we'll see how things work out over the coming weeks...

Written By: maddog on 08/08/05 at 1:18 pm

The Aussies played like crap for most of the match and still only just lost.  Your boys played out of their skin and still only just won. 

I don't quite agree with this. Flintoff certainly played out of his skin but many English players were well below their best. Vaughan and Bell both failed to perform with the bat. Pietersen had a good first innings and was the victim of a dubious decision in the second. Harmison didn't really find good form in either innings. Most of England's fielding was average, although it was an improvement over Lord's.

All in all, if England's key players could all find some form at the same time then the team could see a significant improvement over Edgbaston.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/05 at 1:19 pm

I don't quite agree with this. Flintoff certainly played out of his skin but many English players were well below their best. Vaughan and Bell both failed to perform with the bat. Pietersen had a good first innings and was the victim of a dubious decision in the second. Harmison didn't really find good form in either innings. Most of England's fielding was average, although it was an improvement over Lord's.

All in all, if England's key players could all find some form at the same time then the team could see a significant improvement over Edgbaston.
It is an unchanged England team for the 3rd Test at Old Trafford.

Written By: maddog on 08/08/05 at 1:34 pm

It is an unchanged England team for the 3rd Test at Old Trafford.

That's OK, I wasn't suggesting any changes in the team. However, I am hoping for improvements from Vaughan, Bell and Harmison in particular!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/05 at 1:38 pm

That's OK, I wasn't suggesting any changes in the team. However, I am hoping for improvements from Vaughan, Bell and Harmison in particular!
The current talk is bringing Ed Joyce from Middlesex into the side, but where can he go? Like Robert Key before, injuries to the side and a debut can be made. Anyway Middlesex still need him

Written By: Powerslave on 08/08/05 at 5:14 pm

Fuss does have a point though. The way Australia was playing, they should have been steamrolled. We did lose to Bangladesh, remember.  ;) If we get our form back before the 3rd Test, it's going to be a massacre.

Subject: Re: Ashes 2005

Written By: maddog on 08/08/05 at 5:46 pm

Just seen this, looks like Brett Lee could well be unfit for the 3rd Test:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/4133096.stm

Written By: Powerslave on 08/08/05 at 7:36 pm

Ooo. Stuart MacGill.

Written By: maddog on 08/09/05 at 2:48 am

Is that an optimistic or a pessimistic "Ooo" there, Powerslave? ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/11/05 at 2:22 am

Ooo. Stuart MacGill.
Did Stuart MacGill play for Notts a few seasons back?

Written By: karen on 08/11/05 at 6:07 am

Latest score at Old Trafford

67 for 1 (18.3 overs)

Written By: Paul on 08/11/05 at 8:31 am

Trescothick goes for 63, via a rather strange (by the sound of it) dismissal by...

Shane Warne, who's just claimed his 600th wicket...

Regardless of his goings-on off the field, that's an incredible figure...well done to the man...

Written By: maddog on 08/11/05 at 8:39 am

I'm so frustrated that I couldn't get a ticket :(.
I'm sat here in my office in Salford Quays, looking out of the window I can see both the Old Trafford football ground to one side and the cricket ground to the other. With the window open we could probably hear the crowd at the cricket ground but the windows don't open for safety reasons (6 floors up)!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/11/05 at 4:36 pm

Say !  You guys are starting to annoy us  ;D

Written By: Paul on 08/11/05 at 4:38 pm

Say !  You guys are starting to annoy us  ;D

(Whispers to all those of English stock...)

Don't respond...look what happened last time!

Written By: maddog on 08/11/05 at 4:57 pm

The wicket is obviously favourable for batting so we'll just wait to see what happens during the Australian first innings.
Plus, the weather forecast is rain for Saturday so who knows what the result could be - quite possibly a draw.

Congrats to Shane Warne on his 600 Test wickets, I was glad to see my home crowd giving him a warm ovation for that milestone.

Has McGrath been recalled from injury too soon? That's the question, surely. His bowling was outstanding as always today but at the end of the day
he looked very tired....

Written By: maddog on 08/11/05 at 4:59 pm

(Whispers to all those of English stock...)

Don't respond...look what happened last time!

Errrmmm - didn't we win last time  ;)?

Written By: Paul on 08/11/05 at 5:55 pm

Errrmmm - didn't we win last time  ;)?

Yes, but we also had a 'good first day' the last time...

...and nearly lost it on the dead!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/11/05 at 7:29 pm

The natural order of things is being disturbed  ;D

There is a terrible disturbance in the universe  ;D

I never thought I would see the day when the 'no-goodnicks' ruled  ;D

And other assorted cliches  :P ;)

Written By: mrgazpacho on 08/12/05 at 12:29 am

I'm sat here in my office in Salford Quays, looking out of the window I can see both the Old Trafford football ground to one side and the cricket ground to the other. With the window open we could probably hear the crowd at the cricket ground but the windows don't open for safety reasons (6 floors up)!

Just wait for Andy Flintoff to start batting - you'll probably get a ball crashing though your window soon enough! :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/05 at 12:41 am

Trescothick goes for 63, via a rather strange (by the sound of it) dismissal by...

Shane Warne, who's just claimed his 600th wicket...

Regardless of his goings-on off the field, that's an incredible figure...well done to the man...
Shane Warne is the World's Greatest Bowler, and has a heart of gold.

Written By: jaytee on 08/12/05 at 12:45 am

Shane Warne is the World's Greatest Bowler, and has a heart of gold.

He's still a tool  ::)  Arm chair expert's *  comment this morning "Adam Gilchrist couldn't catch a bloody cold!" and various other mumblings  ::) 

* husband

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/12/05 at 1:22 am

He's still a tool  ::)  Arm chair expert's *  comment this morning "Adam Gilchrist couldn't catch a bloody cold!" and various other mumblings  ::) 

* husband

Agreed, jaytee.  Warne's greatness as a cricketer is matched by his 'tool-ed-ness'  ;D  After all, ask any number of women (admittedly, only english ones, whom own mobile phones) exactly what he can do with his flipper  ::)

As for peetee's mumblings, well, the guy has to make a mistake occasionally  :)

Written By: mrgazpacho on 08/12/05 at 1:35 am

3 in one day is a bit much though! :P

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/12/05 at 1:50 am

3 in one day is a bit much though! :P

Yeah!  Poor guy must have been really warne out  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/05 at 1:03 pm

Stumps on Day Two:

Australia trail by 234 runs with 3 wickets remaining in the 1st innings

Written By: maddog on 08/12/05 at 6:55 pm

I'm off on holiday to the English seaside tomorrow....will be following all developments on the radio but won't be posting on here for the next week.

I'm enjoying this Ashes series so much, keep the thread going guys! cheers - Graham

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/12/05 at 6:57 pm

I'm off on holiday to the English seaside tomorrow....will be following all developments on the radio but won't be posting on here for the next week.

I'm enjoying this Ashes series so much, keep the thread going guys! cheers - Graham

Have a good time maddog !

I think some of the Aussie team must be at the beach as well  :o :o :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/05 at 5:25 am

Day 3, start delayed due to rain.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/05 at 7:08 am

The latest scene at Old Trafford

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/52300/52328.1.jpg

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/13/05 at 7:26 am

My rain dance worked I see  :P ;)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/13/05 at 7:27 am

Aussies heap praise on Old Trafford groundsman for his pitch preparation on Day 3 :  :P

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/13/05 at 7:29 am

Aussie fans greet the Manchester weather with typical understatement  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/05 at 7:32 am

Aussies heap praise on Old Trafford groundsman for his pitch preparation on Day 3 :  :P

Is that the office block Maddog works at in the background?

Maddog

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/13/05 at 7:33 am

Maddog

I see him at the window now  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/05 at 7:36 am

I see him at the window now  :)
I can too, leaning out waving with one hand, and an umbrella in the other.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/05 at 9:42 am

There is one small update, four runs have been added to the Australian total.

Yesterday, when Simon Jones bowled a beamer, Steve Bucknor, the umpire, was so busy giving the bowler his warning and speaking to him that he forgot to signal the four byes.Now the match officials have got together and decided that the four runs should go to Australia. This means they only need to get 31 more to avoid the follow-on when play begins.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/05 at 10:36 am

Delay - Day 3 - rain stops play

Australia trail by 199 runs with 3 wickets remaining in the 1st innings

Written By: FaultyDog on 08/13/05 at 11:14 am

Delay - Day 3 - rain stops play

Australia trail by 199 runs with 3 wickets remaining in the 1st innings

I hardly dare ask, as I know nothing about the game, but is this a good thing (from your point of view)?  :-\\

Written By: mrgazpacho on 08/13/05 at 1:10 pm

From his point of view - rather good!  From Fuss and mine - not so good! :)

You could say it's like playing in a baseball game where you are 5 runs down in the bottom of the 8th with 2 out. Not an impossible situation, but not one you'd like to be in...  Or perhaps being 2-0 down at half-time at home in the return leg of a Champions Cup match after drawing 1-1 away...

Written By: FaultyDog on 08/13/05 at 4:05 pm

From his point of view - rather good!  From Fuss and mine - not so good! :)

Then why did you put up a smiley? ??? Must be a typo, I guess...

You could say it's like playing in a baseball game where you are 5 runs down in the bottom of the 8th with 2 out. Not an impossible situation, but not one you'd like to be in...

Well, that still sounds better to me than being 5 runs down bottom 9th with 2 out... ;)

About the only thing I know about cricket is that the object of the game is to score as many runs as possible. And that's where my knowledge ends. I have never made an effort to go into the rules of the game, I admit. They appear to be too complex for me. :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/05 at 4:08 pm

About the only thing I know about cricket is that the object of the game is to score as many runs as possible. And that's where my knowledge ends. I have never made an effort to go into the rules of the game, I admit. They appear to be too complex for me. :-\\
While one side is scoring the runs, the other side is trying to bowl or get them out.

Written By: FaultyDog on 08/13/05 at 4:11 pm

While one side is scoring the runs, the other side is trying to bowl or get them out.

I figured something like that!  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/05 at 4:12 pm

I figured something like that!  ;)
I will prepare for a better explanation of the game.

Written By: FaultyDog on 08/13/05 at 4:20 pm

You're a brave man! :) That might take you quite some time...

Written By: Paul on 08/14/05 at 11:50 am

Fourth Day: England declare on 280-6...

...which means Australia need 423 to win...

...should be a cracking last day tomorrow for all concerned!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/05 at 11:51 am

Fourth Day: England declare on 280-6...

...which means Australia need 423 to win...

...should be a cracking last day tomorrow for all concerned!
There is still the rest of the day to play...

Written By: Paul on 08/14/05 at 11:53 am

There is still the rest of the day to play...

True...but tomorrow's where all the action's gonna be at!

I'm taking the phone off the hook at work!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/05 at 11:55 am

True...but tomorrow's where all the action's gonna be at!

I'm taking the phone off the hook at work!
The issue of the light could play a part in the remainder of today's play.

Written By: karen on 08/15/05 at 8:30 am

Current score Monday 2.30

Australia 175-4 (target 423)

Written By: Paul on 08/15/05 at 2:20 pm

Well, no 'last minute' joy for us on this occasion as we couldn't break Australia's stubborn last wicket partnership and the match is drawn...

Once again, some fantastic cricket by both sides played throughout, not least the centuries by both captains...

So the next test will be a 'crunch one'...see you all at Trent Bridge!

Written By: karen on 08/16/05 at 4:25 am

We had our dinner later than usual yesterday so we could all watch the last few overs.  When Elizabeth had calmed down over the fact that The Simpsons wasn't on she quite enjoyed it.

Written By: jaytee on 08/16/05 at 7:42 am

Thank goodness we hung on !!  :)

Written By: karen on 08/16/05 at 7:44 am

Thank goodness we hung on !!  :)

You should have heard us begging for McGrath's wicket to fall.

Written By: jaytee on 08/16/05 at 7:53 am

You should have heard us begging for McGrath's wicket to fall.

I can well imagine!  :D

Written By: Powerslave on 08/16/05 at 10:48 pm

...see you all at Trent Bridge!

Bring it on!  :)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/17/05 at 8:06 am

Bring it on!  :)

Indeed  :D  Methinks the pendulum be swinging back  ;)

Written By: maddog on 08/22/05 at 3:27 pm

Maddog

The big office block behind the pavilion is NOT the one I work in, ours is one of the murky ones you can see a bit further in the distance off to the left.

Getting geared up here for the 4th Test in Nottingham on Thursday, getting excited again :).
I listened to the last day of the Old Trafford Test on my trusty battery powered radio with headphones while sitting on the beach in Norfolk. A warm day with unusually large breakers crashing in on the beach, following a storm out in the North Sea the day before. We even had some actual surfers ....in Norfolk!

At this point in the English summer the weather starts to turn so I'm hoping for no further interruptions to play.

And *ahem* might I bring up the subject of the Tri Nations at this point? Maybe not  :P.

Written By: Powerslave on 08/23/05 at 4:16 am

And *ahem* might I bring up the subject of the Tri Nations at this point? Maybe not  :P.

Who cares about Rugby? This thread is about Cricket, and how good we are at that.

Written By: maddog on 08/23/05 at 11:57 am

Who cares about Rugby? This thread is about Cricket, and how good we are at that.

I thought this might be a touchy subject. My apologies for mentioning it. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/05 at 12:29 pm

I thought this might be a touchy subject. My apologies for mentioning it. 
Cricket is the game of summer, it is still summer and it is still the cricket season

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/05 at 1:55 am

Shaun Tait will replace Jason Gillespie and make his Test debut for Australia in Thursday's fourth Ashes Test.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/25/05 at 3:21 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40727000/jpg/_40727950_rain_ap300200.jpg

Yeap, it rained again, but the score at stumps on the first day is England on 229/4, after 60 overs.

Written By: maddog on 08/26/05 at 5:42 am

I only got to watch the 30 minute highlights of the first day's play yesterday evening, so my comments are based solely on what I saw there.
England seem to be making reasonable progress to a healthy first innings score, somewhat assisted by some wayward bowling from Australia.
Was it 19 no balls in the day? That's a lot, particularly expensive when Brett Lee splattered Michael Vaughan's stumps only to find it was a no ball
(actually a pretty extravagant no ball as his foot was about 18 inches beyond the crease!).

Shaun Tait looked a bit unorthodox in his bowling style but his delivery to dismiss Trescothick was a beauty.
I felt sorry for Kasprowicz as he seemed to be bowling quite well, only to suffer a couple of drops (one by himself) and an unlucky fumble while fielding on the boundary that earned him a lot of stick from the crowd. The English crowd have started to perform "juggling" mimes for each Australian dropped chance. There do seem to have been a lot of these in this series, admittedly by England too.

Written By: maddog on 08/26/05 at 1:01 pm

Day 2 - wow! Somebody pinch me to make sure I'm not dreaming. England 477 all out, Australia 99-5.

These are the sort of scores we've been used to seeing in Ashes matches over the last 20 years, only reversed.
Apparently a couple of dodgy lbw decisions went against Australia but I don't think there's any doubt that England deserve to be in this position.
Great to see Matthew Hoggard get amongst the wickets and a fantastic century for Andrew Flintoff.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/26/05 at 1:47 pm

Day 2 - wow! Somebody pinch me to make sure I'm not dreaming. England 477 all out, Australia 99-5.
Yeap, it is the same score as in the match I have been watching too.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/26/05 at 6:00 pm

;D

You guys (the English team that is) are starting to get really annoying  :) :) :)

Seriously, you deserve the success you are having, it has been a long time in the doldrums, and obviously there has been a lot of work done to get you competitive again  :)

Written By: Paul on 08/26/05 at 6:22 pm

Seriously, you deserve the success you are having, it has been a long time in the doldrums, and obviously there has been a lot of work done to get you competitive again  :)

Nice comments there...said through gritted teeth, I'll wager!

Still...game of two innings...blah blah blah!

Seriously though, it's all good for the sport's 'image' - not just here, but worldwide, as there's been some smashing cricket played all round...

And, should we get a little 'overconfident', it's worth remembering that in order to 'win' The Ashes, we have to actually win both of the last remaining tests! Anything less, and they're still 'retained' by Australia...

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/26/05 at 6:30 pm

Nice comments there...said through gritted teeth, I'll wager!

Still...game of two innings...blah blah blah!

Seriously though, it's all good for the sport's 'image' - not just here, but worldwide, as there's been some smashing cricket played all round...

And, should we get a little 'overconfident', it's worth remembering that in order to 'win' The Ashes, we have to actually win both of the last remaining tests! Anything less, and they're still 'retained' by Australia...

Not at all, Paul  :)  Well, maybe a tad  ;)

But you are right, it IS good for the game.  There was a time a few years ago when Australia were giving most countries a hiding, and even as an Aussie, there was 'something' missing from the enjoyment....

You are slightly incorrect though, after 3 tests - it is 1-1, you guys just need to win one and then not lose the other.....  ;)

Written By: Paul on 08/26/05 at 6:36 pm

You are slightly incorrect though, after 3 tests - it is 1-1, you guys just need to win one and then not lose the other.....  ;)

Bad bit of explaining by me there...

As holders, all you lot need to do is draw the series to retain it...that sound better?

Written By: Powerslave on 08/27/05 at 2:51 am

Bad bit of explaining by me there...

As holders, all you lot need to do is draw the series to retain it...that sound better?

I don't like our chances of that. Australia is playing really bad cricket.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/27/05 at 7:44 am

I don't like our chances of that. Australia is playing really bad cricket.

In fact, what they are playing at the moment "is just not cricket"  :o

Written By: Powerslave on 08/27/05 at 12:15 pm

You got that right, mate.  :(

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/27/05 at 5:06 pm

You got that right, mate.  :(

And now I hear that Ricky Ponting swore at someone after getting out !  Imagine that  ::) ;D

Written By: Paul on 08/27/05 at 5:09 pm

A bloody good stubborn fightback this afternoon, tho'...

Hopefully we shouldn't let this slip...but this is England!

Strange things do happen!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/05 at 4:30 am

And now I hear that Ricky Ponting swore at someone after getting out !  Imagine that  ::) ;D
...and the Umpires have now placed an offical complaint on this matter.

Written By: jaytee on 08/28/05 at 4:36 am

...and the Umpires have now placed an offical complaint on this matter.

Sooks!  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/05 at 5:05 am

What a great catch by Andrew Strauss.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40734000/jpg/_40734966_strauss300.jpg

Written By: Paul on 08/28/05 at 10:56 am

Warney's doing some damage...!

Can we hold out?!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/05 at 11:45 am

Warney's doing some damage...!

Can we hold out?!!
Pietersen has just gone for 23, five wickets down.

Come Freddy, only another 26 runs remaining.

Written By: Paul on 08/28/05 at 11:49 am

Not insulting the quality of the sportsmen out there, but...

...why do we always end up making this bit bloody difficult?!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/05 at 11:55 am

Just score the remaing runs in singles, for there are still three sessions tomorrow, but it would be nice to wrap it up tonight.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/05 at 12:05 pm

Flintoff has gone now.

England require another 15 runs with 4 wickets remaining

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/05 at 12:52 pm

By the way, England won.

Written By: Paul on 08/28/05 at 12:56 pm

Well, got the victory after another close call...

A lot has been said about the Australians' 'poor' cricket, but make no mistake - their second innings is what I'm more used to seeing from them...

And, just to make it interesting (in a speculative sort of way) - they may have McGrath back for the final test but we may not have Jones...

Should be a killer of a final test...see you at my old 'stomping ground' - The Oval...

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/29/05 at 1:47 am

Not only did the Australia (men) lose the match yesterday, but in the Second women' s Test at Worcester, day four (lunch): England 289 & 75-4 beat Australia 131 & 232 by six wickets

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/29/05 at 8:31 am

;D ;D ;D

Hey people, I am starting to run out of ways to be nice to you all about this  :P :P :P :P

Written By: Paul on 08/29/05 at 9:37 am

Seems a shame that one of us is gonna end up defeated...

Without doubt the most exciting series since 'that' one in '81...

Written By: maddog on 08/29/05 at 6:36 pm

I've been away for the weekend (Bank Holiday here in England) but once again I was finding multiple excuses to p!ss my wife off and find a TV in a bar somewhere to watch the cricket. I ended up watching the final half hour through a window from a hotel swimming pool, looking into the hotel bar. I couldn't risk getting dry and changed in case I missed the whole thing so I was standing there dripping wet, cheering and groaning in quick sequence while most of the families splashing around in the pool were giving me strange looks.

Australia's fight back in this 4th Test was nothing less than we should expect from a team with such quality in depth. True, there are some players in the team who look well past their best (Matthew Hayden for one) but Shane Warne and Brett Lee have earned nothing but admiration from English sports fans this summer.

The other thing I wanted to mention was the fantastic TV coverage here in England on Channel 4. The camera work, the analysis, the commentators, the interviews - all excellent. We have the benefit of Michael Atherton and Richie Benaud commentating over here, it's great to listen to. The bad news is that the England Cricket Board have sold out the rights to Sky from the end of this year we'll all have to pay to see Test cricket for the next 4 years. Murdoch's revenge?

Written By: maddog on 08/30/05 at 6:14 am

For all those fans of Richie Benaud out there, here's an entertaining desktop Richie that is available from the UK TV station covering the Ashes series, Channel 4.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/cricket/interactive/richie.html

Richie Benaud isn't signed up for Sky TV so this series could be the last time we in the UK have the benefit of his commentary. I don't remember Richie as a player but he's been part of UK cricket broadcasting for as long as I can remember. It'll be a great pity if we do lose him from our TV screens.

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/01/05 at 1:08 pm

I am still waiting (anxiously)... ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/05 at 1:11 pm

Cricket explained briefly:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/01/05 at 1:16 pm

Cricket explained briefly:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

So basically you're either in or out?  :D It all makes perfect sense to me now, Philip!   ;D ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/05 at 1:24 pm

So basically you're either in or out?  :D It all makes perfect sense to me now, Philip!   ;D ;)
Seriously the Laws of the Game Cricket can be read on http://www.lords.org/laws-and-spirit/laws-of-cricket/laws/

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/01/05 at 1:30 pm

Seriously the Laws of the Game Cricket can be read on http://www.lords.org/laws-and-spirit/laws-of-cricket/laws/

Thanks for that link, Philip. :)

Written By: maddog on 09/01/05 at 1:40 pm

Try wikipedia Henk....although I think it might be more entertaining if we English and Australian posters tried to explain it for you!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/01/05 at 1:51 pm

Thanks for that link, Philip. :)

Try wikipedia Henk....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket

There's an awful lot of Laws to the game...and they're all in English (which makes it even harder for me). I think I'm gonna try to find something in Dutch, if you don't mind. ;)

...although I think it might be more entertaining if we English and Australian posters tried to explain it for you!

Now there's a thought! ::)

Written By: Paul on 09/01/05 at 4:17 pm

In, out, in, out - you shake it all about...

Written By: maddog on 09/02/05 at 4:00 am

There's an awful lot of Laws to the game...and they're all in English (which makes it even harder for me). I think I'm gonna try to find something in Dutch, if you don't mind. ;)

I haven't found any such link I'm afraid, Henk, but I guess it must be out there somehwere. The Holland cricket team certainly participated in the last Cricket World Cup in 2003 and they've recently qualified for the next one (sometime in early 2007 I think).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/4673417.stm

Written By: karen on 09/02/05 at 4:02 am

Henk

The wikipedia pages have Dutch as an option.  Not sure if all the same information is on the Dutch section though.  Another option is to paste the link into Babelfish and that will translate the whole web page for you.

I haven't found any such link I'm afraid, Henk, but I guess it must be out there somehwere. The Holland cricket team certainly participated in the last Cricket World Cup in 2003 and they've recently qualified for the next one (sometime around Christmas 2005 I think).

I was just about to write that I thought they had played in the cricket world cup before

Written By: Criz on 09/02/05 at 1:50 pm

I can't honestly tell you how much I'm enjoying the cricket this Summer! It's crazy as number 1) I don't understand it, and number 2) I have never shown even a miniscule interest in the sport until they played at Edgbaston this year. I only live 20 minutes away from Edgbaston and was helping out a radio station that week, so I was down at the ground doing interviews with those watching, and it was constantly on in the newsroom. But even then I wasn't hooked. The last day of the second test got me glued.

I was told to keep an eye on the score for my boyfriend who was at work and couldn't watch it, and that's when it happened! Couldn't believe how close that test was, as was the fourth test, my god - they can't keep doing that to us! Hopefully England will win and get the Ashes this year as it's about time (or so I've heard ;)).

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/02/05 at 1:53 pm

I can't honestly tell you how much I'm enjoying the cricket this Summer! It's crazy as number 1) I don't understand it, and number 2) I have never shown even a miniscule interest in the sport until they played at Edgbaston this year. I only live 20 minutes away from Edgbaston and was helping out a radio station that week, so I was down at the ground doing interviews with those watching, and it was constantly on in the newsroom. But even then I wasn't hooked. The last day of the second test got me glued.

I was told to keep an eye on the score for my boyfriend who was at work and couldn't watch it, and that's when it happened! Couldn't believe how close that test was, as was the fourth test, my god - they can't keep doing that to us! Hopefully England will win and get the Ashes this year as it's about time (or so I've heard ;)).
Sounds like a great introduction to the game, and now we can only wait for the Fifth Test at The Oval.

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/02/05 at 1:58 pm

I haven't found any such link I'm afraid, Henk, but I guess it must be out there somehwere. The Holland cricket team certainly participated in the last Cricket World Cup in 2003 and they've recently qualified for the next one (sometime in early 2007 I think).

Henk

The wikipedia pages have Dutch as an option.  Not sure if all the same information is on the Dutch section though.  Another option is to paste the link into Babelfish and that will translate the whole web page for you.

I was just about to write that I thought they had played in the cricket world cup before

Thanks! I haven't had time to check it out, but I most certainly will. ;)

Written By: maddog on 09/05/05 at 8:12 am

A couple of snippets to get us in the mood for the final Test starting on Thursday:

1. Richie Benaud will make his last commentary on UK TV after 42 years - he'll be sadly missed.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/4204544.stm

2. Showers likely to affect Oval Test:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/4205934.stm

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/05 at 11:57 am

Remember all England needs is a draw.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/05 at 11:57 am

A couple of snippets to get us in the mood for the final Test starting on Thursday:

1. Richie Benaud will make his last commentary on UK TV after 42 years - he'll be sadly missed.
His voice will be sadly missed!

Written By: Criz on 09/05/05 at 4:30 pm

Remember all England needs is a draw.

If England do draw, do they still get the Ashes? If not then surely it doesn't matter unless they win! Cricket confuses me!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/05 at 4:32 pm

If England do draw, do they still get the Ashes? If not then surely it doesn't matter unless they win! Cricket confuses me!
A draw will mean that England win the series, for England are already 1-0 up.

Written By: maddog on 09/05/05 at 6:09 pm

A draw will mean that England win the series, for England are already 1-0 up.

In fact England are 2-1 up in this series, a draw at The Oval would mean that England win the series by that same margin, hence they would win the Ashes.

A win for Australia at The Oval would level the series at 2-2, this would mean that the 2005 series would be drawn. However, the Ashes (that is, the little urn with ashes inside it) remain in the possession of the country that last won an Ashes series outright, and that was Australia in 2002-2003 (by a fairly convincing margin of 4-1, it has to be said).

Hope that clears it up Criz!

Written By: Paul on 09/05/05 at 6:21 pm

However, the Ashes (that is, the little urn with ashes inside it) remain in the possession of the country that last won an Ashes series outright, and that was Australia in 2002-2003 (by a fairly convincing margin of 4-1, it has to be said).

I was always under the impression that the urn has nearly always remained in England...at the MCC, I should think - unless that's been changed...

Written By: maddog on 09/06/05 at 2:49 am

I was always under the impression that the urn has nearly always remained in England...at the MCC, I should think - unless that's been changed...

You're correct Paul, the physical urn itself is kept at the MCC museum at Lord's cricket ground in London but the symbolic title of "holder of the Ashes" passes to the outright winner of the series. In recent years they've introduced a big crystal trophy that's actually awarded to the winning team.

The same principle applies to Glenn McGrath's "500 wicket" boots (see Page 1 of this thread). They're Glenn's boots but he has loaned them for display in the MCC museum.

Written By: Paul on 09/06/05 at 7:06 am

The same principle applies to Glenn McGrath's "500 wicket" boots (see Page 1 of this thread). They're Glenn's boots but he has loaned them for display in the MCC museum.

A shame that Warney can't donate his '600 wicket' hands...

...like, right this minute!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/05 at 12:15 pm

It is always on view in the Museum at Lords.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/05 at 12:17 pm

As a reminder...

Written By: danootaandme on 09/06/05 at 2:27 pm

I had to Google this because I had absolutely no idea what the heck you guys were talking about? 
(ashes? whose ashes? how gruesome), but it all seems great fun, and probably would be even
more fun except here in the states we do not have anything at all to do with Cricket.  We have soccer(football?), but I have never ever seen anything about cricket, too bad, it seems like it could be interesting.

Written By: maddog on 09/06/05 at 5:16 pm

Congratulations DanootaAndMe, glad you're taking an interest and getting some entertainment from the pretty much exclusively English / Australian banter on this thread...

Latest news - oh dear, Simon Jones will miss the final Test through injury.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/4217830.stm

Written By: jaytee on 09/06/05 at 5:19 pm

I had to Google this because I had absolutely no idea what the heck you guys were talking about? 
(ashes? whose ashes? how gruesome), but it all seems great fun, and probably would be even
more fun except here in the states we do not have anything at all to do with Cricket.  We have soccer(football?), but I have never ever seen anything about cricket, too bad, it seems like it could be interesting.

My husband and sons love cricket!   I learnt early in the peace to get to like it as my parents are also huge fans and this is what we watched throughout the summer.   America does have a cricket team (apparently!) "but they suck" says 12 y.o. Patrick  :o :D

Written By: maddog on 09/06/05 at 5:20 pm

ashes? whose ashes?

Here's the original obituary from The Sporting Life in 1882.

Written By: karen on 09/07/05 at 11:21 am

Congratulations DanootaAndMe, glad you're taking an interest and getting some entertainment from the pretty much exclusively English / Australian banter on this thread...

Latest news - oh dear, Simon Jones will miss the final Test through injury.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/4217830.stm

They're still trying to decide between Collingwood or Anderson the last I heard

Written By: karen on 09/08/05 at 5:37 am

Latest score England 71 - 0

Written By: Paul on 09/08/05 at 6:44 am

Marvellous start for us, until that man Warne applied his trademark 'damage' - taking three rapid wickets...

Score at lunch England 115-3

Written By: karen on 09/08/05 at 6:46 am

Marvellous start for us, until that man Warne applied his trademark 'damage' - taking three rapid wickets...

:(

Written By: maddog on 09/08/05 at 7:11 am

Flippin' Shane Warne, I love him and I hate him....big stands required by Messrs. Pietersen, Strauss and Flintoff now.

Written By: maddog on 09/08/05 at 7:42 am

Flippin' Shane Warne, I love him and I hate him....big stands required by Messrs. Pietersen, Strauss and Flintoff now.

Hold that tought....

K P Pietersen  b S K Warne 14
England 131-4
(Warne 4-32)

Written By: jaytee on 09/08/05 at 8:53 am

I've just been to see Glen Shorrock (ex LRB) and he dedicated "Lonesome Loser" to the English cricket team  :D

Written By: karen on 09/08/05 at 9:02 am

England 201 - 4 after 52 overs

Written By: 80s gail on 09/08/05 at 10:08 am

i am currently watching while on line,the very sexy brett lee is bowling we poms are 256 for 4. not the start i hoped for but hopefully we will do it. i am still reeling with shock as i kind of assumed the aussies were still the best, but now we are a match for them again after 20 years! still everything in life goes in cycles so it is our turn yet again!

Written By: Criz on 09/08/05 at 10:29 am

I'm keeping an eye on it too - I really hope England win for once!!  I can't believe I'm this into it, seriously - who would have thought it! I blame the boyfriend!! ;)

Written By: karen on 09/08/05 at 10:35 am

269 for 4 with Strauss on 116

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/05 at 12:52 am

269 for 4 with Strauss on 116
Superb innings of 129 by Andrew Strauss.

Written By: karen on 09/09/05 at 4:46 am

326-8 after 90 overs

Written By: karen on 09/09/05 at 6:14 am

England 373 all out

Aus 2 - 0

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/05 at 6:17 am

Australia 4/0 of 3.2 overs.

Written By: karen on 09/09/05 at 6:19 am

Australia 4/0 of 3.2 overs.

Phil

have you got the BBC scorecard up as well?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/05 at 6:21 am

Phil

have you got the BBC scorecard up as well?
I have TSM online on, the Test scorecard from http://uk.cricinfo.com/ and the Desktop Scorecard for the Middlesex v Kent game on my screen.

Written By: karen on 09/09/05 at 6:22 am

ah!  I expect the have the same information anyway

Written By: Paul on 09/09/05 at 7:07 am

Australia 19 for no loss at lunch, chasing 373...

Methinks we need some bloody quick wickets after the break!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/05 at 7:41 am

Gary Pratt, the hero of Trent Bridge is on the field as 12th man for Ashley Giles.

Written By: karen on 09/09/05 at 7:48 am

Aus 44 - 0 after 14 overs.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/05 at 7:49 am

Aus 44 - 0 after 14 overs.
Australia trail by 327 runs with 10 wickets remaining in the 1st innings

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/05 at 7:56 am

Here in London (location of The Oval), the clouds are building up in readiness for a storm, due to arrive after tea.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/09/05 at 8:17 am

Rumour has it that the Aussies are gonna all chip in and buy Rudi Koertzen a hearing aid  ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/05 at 8:47 am

Gary Pratt is on the field again and this time it is for Matthew Hoggard.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/09/05 at 8:52 am

:o Australia 0/96  :o  Whats the hell is happening ?  :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/05 at 8:53 am

Freddy Flintoff is bowling now, something with happen soon.

Written By: karen on 09/09/05 at 8:57 am

Freddy Flintoff is bowling now, something with happen soon.

we hope

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/05 at 8:58 am

Something has happen, Australia have 100 runs up now!

Written By: karen on 09/09/05 at 8:59 am

Something has happen, Australia have 100 runs up now!

not according to my scorecard!! still 98.  weird or what

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/05 at 9:02 am

Mine is showing Australia 102/0 (30.3 ov)

Written By: Paul on 09/09/05 at 9:08 am

Well, I fear we may have 'gifted' you on this occasion with the way this wicket is playing...

Still, things do happen...

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/05 at 9:09 am

The clouds are looking very iffy right now!

Written By: Paul on 09/09/05 at 9:11 am

The clouds are looking very iffy right now!

Several days of constant rain as from now, would be most welcome!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/05 at 9:12 am

The game is delicately poised.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/05 at 9:13 am

Several days of constant rain as from now, would be most welcome!
The covers are being pushed over the pitch now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/05 at 9:14 am

The covers are being pushed over the pitch now.
...but it is not raining, but looking threatening!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/05 at 9:43 am

The skies are chucking it down, with thunder and lightning!

Written By: karen on 09/09/05 at 9:44 am

The skies are chucking it down, with thunder and lightning!

yay.  rain stopped play.... but for how long?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/05 at 9:46 am

yay.  rain stopped play.... but for how long?
...till about 5pm Monday?

Written By: maddog on 09/09/05 at 11:02 am

Intermittent showers forecast for Saturday, Sunday and Monday forecast to be fine, although light may be a problem if not rain.
The England bowling attack is definitely missing Simon Jones!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/05 at 11:06 am

Delay - Day 2 - Rain stops play

Australia 112/0 (33.0 ov)

Australia trail by 261 runs with 10 wickets remaining in the 1st innings

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/05 at 11:55 am

Play has been just called off for the day.

Current score as above.

Written By: 80s gail on 09/09/05 at 12:53 pm

it would be a shame if the weather decided the outcome after a really thrilling series, i really enjoyed the day out i had at old trafford in august. i have been following cricket  since the 1985 ashes series, seen many a thrilling match but still if i would obviously prefer us to win after 18 years! By the way is it just me or are the crowds at matches nowadays getting more raucous and making more and more off colour comments to the players?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/11/05 at 7:26 am

Australia are now all out for 367 and trail by 6 runs.

Written By: Paul on 09/11/05 at 7:47 am

it would be a shame if the weather decided the outcome after a really thrilling series

That it would...but you can never trust a spell of British weather!

By the way is it just me or are the crowds at matches nowadays getting more raucous and making more and more off colour comments to the players?

I do hope the football 'louts' aren't muscling their way in...

Anyway, Australia have just been bowled out for 367 - a superb fightback by the English bowlers (Hoggard and that man Flintoff), despite fantastic centuries from Langer & Hayden...

A day and a half left...let's see what happens now...

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/11/05 at 7:56 am

That it would...but you can never trust a spell of British weather!
May be that was the reason for a late Test this year, to catch the dodgy weather that always falls in September.

Written By: maddog on 09/11/05 at 8:34 am

It certainly looks like rain and light will be the deciding factors from this point in the final Test.

This quote from the BBC website log of progress in the Test match made me smile:

"1417: Vaughan gets the thickest of edges down to leg for a single. He's then deep in discussion with Bowden at the bowler's end, no doubt discussing the light. Meanwhile, a host of England supporters raise their umbrellas in a bid to persuade the umpires to bring the players off, while Australia's fans pretend the sun is shining by taking off their tops."

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/11/05 at 9:01 am

It certainly looks like rain and light will be the deciding factors from this point in the final Test.

This quote from the BBC website log of progress in the Test match made me smile:

"1417: Vaughan gets the thickest of edges down to leg for a single. He's then deep in discussion with Bowden at the bowler's end, no doubt discussing the light. Meanwhile, a host of England supporters raise their umbrellas in a bid to persuade the umpires to bring the players off, while Australia's fans pretend the sun is shining by taking off their tops."
That sounds about right.

Written By: maddog on 09/12/05 at 5:18 am

Monday 11:15 - well, here we go again on the roller coaster of emotion and excitement!
Glenn McGrath has just taken 2 wickets in 2 balls, and very nearly took a hatrick with Pietersen giving a catch that was (correctly) adjudged to have hit his arm rather than his glove.

England 67-3......and a full day's play in prospect with the weather looking fine.

*Gulp*  :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/12/05 at 5:33 am

Monday 11:15 - well, here we go again on the roller coaster of emotion and excitement!
Glenn McGrath has just taken 2 wickets in 2 balls, and very nearly took a hatrick with Pietersen giving a catch that was (correctly) adjudged to have hit his arm rather than his glove.

England 67-3......and a full day's play in prospect with the weather looking fine.

*Gulp*  :-\\
Commentators describe it as nervous...

Written By: maddog on 09/12/05 at 6:30 am

12:28 - just seen on the BBC ticker that Shane Warne has Freddie Flitoff c and b for 8..... aaarrrrgggghhhhhh!!

England 126-5. Sheeesh.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/12/05 at 6:38 am

Pietersen has been hit in the ribs twice durng the last over before lunch, it is like a battlefield out there!

Written By: Paul on 09/12/05 at 6:45 am

12:28 - just seen on the BBC ticker that Shane Warne has Freddie Flitoff c and b for 8..... aaarrrrgggghhhhhh!!

England 126-5. Sheeesh.

If there's one thing we didn't need before lunch...

Grimly hanging on in there with a lead of 133...nowhere near enough!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/12/05 at 6:50 am

If there's one thing we didn't need before lunch...

Grimly hanging on in there with a lead of 133...nowhere near enough!
My online radio just went haywire and I had to re-boot the computer to continue listening to the Test cricket.

Written By: maddog on 09/12/05 at 8:46 am

14:45 - England have just brought up the 200 but 7 wickets down now....Shaun Tait just bowled Geraint Jones.
Still looking very touch and go....

Richie Benaud received a standing ovation at the Oval at the announcement of his final Test commentary in the UK.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/12/05 at 9:13 am

Superb innings by Pietersen

Written By: maddog on 09/12/05 at 9:27 am

Superb innings by Pietersen

Agreed Philip - he's ridden his luck but deserved this, his first Test century.

Written By: karen on 09/12/05 at 10:08 am

16.08  England 246 for 7

Written By: maddog on 09/12/05 at 10:47 am

16:45 - England

Pietersen has just hit his 7th six and 14th four of his innings to make his 150. England now 302 ahead with 35 overs left.
I am resisting an overwhelming temptation to make any predictions at this point....

Written By: maddog on 09/12/05 at 11:03 am

Richie Benaud has just said his goodbye to UK viewers from the Channel 4 commentary box at the end of his last spell of commentary.
It certainly brought a tear to my eye.

Written By: karen on 09/12/05 at 11:19 am

pietersen's out!

313 for 8

Written By: maddog on 09/12/05 at 11:32 am

The series has been played in fantastic spirit, right up to these last overs on the last day. Brett Lee has been steaming in with 95mph plus deliveries in the last half hour, just as if it was the first morning at Lord's. Yet he still found time to march down the wicket to shake Ashley Giles by the hand as he completed his 50.

Written By: karen on 09/12/05 at 11:43 am

I'm off home now to catch the final bit

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/12/05 at 12:23 pm

England have won the Ashes!

Written By: Paul on 09/12/05 at 1:04 pm

They certainly have, Phil...

Sadly, I missed the last piece of play due to getting home, but it appears it was a bit of a damp squib compared to the rest of the day's proceedings...

I think Graham sums it up...

The series has been played in fantastic spirit, right up to these last overs on the last day. Brett Lee has been steaming in with 95mph plus deliveries in the last half hour, just as if it was the first morning at Lord's. Yet he still found time to march down the wicket to shake Ashley Giles by the hand as he completed his 50.

...which says it all in the way in which this whole series has been played.

I'll be the first to put my hands up in admitting that we had a slim chance, especially after things went 'according to script' after the first test...

I am quite happy to be proven wrong on occasion...!

Make no mistake, even though the glory may be ours, the Australians have shown their trademark spirit throughout and I look upon it as an honour to have beaten the World Champions...

I take my hat off to everyone involved for a quite breathtaking series which will take an age to be forgotten...

Well done England!

Written By: Criz on 09/12/05 at 1:06 pm

Woo hoo - England have indeed regained the Ashes!! I've been a Cricket virgin until the second test at Edgebaston, but I've thoroughly enjoyed it!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/12/05 at 1:07 pm

One (actually three) key factor of the days play was that Kevin Pietersen was dropped three times, on 0, 12 and 68. If he had been out on his 0, the days play would have totally different.

Written By: 80s gail on 09/12/05 at 2:03 pm

An absolute gem of a win, i've been watching cricket for 20 years now, this is the best ashes series i've seen. kevin pieterson, well i'm just glad he chose to play or england, we have a jolly good team and it must be said, well done to the aussies they've shown their normal never say die attitude, played with spirit and commitment as usual. This series will be remembered as one of the greatest.

Subject: Re: Ashes 2005 - England Win!!!

Written By: maddog on 09/12/05 at 3:13 pm

I have that feeling I always get at the end of a sporting contest I've really enjoyed, in ths case a mixture of elation (at England's win) and depression (as in what am I going to do now that it's over!?). The depression is exacerbated by the poignancy of saying goodbye to 3 Australian greats who we've seen for the last time at a Test match in England - Richie Benaud, Glenn McGrath and the incomparable Shane Warne.

I'd welcome some input from our friends in Australia - come on guys, you've been silent for 3 pages now.....at least give us some threats about what you're going to do to us in Australia next time!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/12/05 at 3:16 pm

I have that feeling I always get at the end of a sporting contest I've really enjoyed, in ths case a mixture of elation (at England's win) and depression (as in what am I going to do now that it's over!?). The depression is exacerbated by the poignancy of saying goodbye to 3 Australian greats who we've seen for the last time at a Test match in England - Richie Benaud, Glenn McGrath and the incomparable Shane Warne.

I'd welcome some input from our friends in Australia - come on guys, you've been silent for 3 pages now.....at least give us some threats about what you're going to do to us in Australia next time!
The next series is only 18 months away now, on your own home soil, will GM and SW still be playing then?

Written By: maddog on 09/12/05 at 3:18 pm

The next series is only 18 months away now, on your own home soil, will GM and SW still be playing then?

I'm sure they'd both love to bow out of international cricket by regaining the Ashes, so injuries permitting I expect we will see them both playing in the next series.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/12/05 at 3:20 pm

I'm sure they'd both love to bow out of international cricket by regaining the Ashes, so injuries permitting I expect we will see them both playing in the next series.
...and two years ago Shane Warne signed a four year contract with Hampshire, and he has produced a great change to that County Team.

Written By: Paul on 09/12/05 at 3:23 pm

Richie Benaud received a standing ovation at the Oval at the announcement of his final Test commentary in the UK.

Without doubt one of the great ambassadors of the game (as has already been mentioned)...he'll be very sorely missed...

So...I think the BBC Sports Personality Of The Year 2005 has been sewn up...!

Written By: philbo on 09/12/05 at 5:32 pm

Without doubt one of the great ambassadors of the game (as has already been mentioned)...he'll be very sorely missed...

Yep.. rather like cricket itself is going to be sorely missed by people (like me) who refuse to subsidize Murdoch's megalomania

So...I think the BBC Sports Personality Of The Year 2005 has been sewn up...!

A close-run thing between Benaud and Flintoff, methinks ;)

Written By: Paul on 09/12/05 at 6:24 pm

Yep.. rather like cricket itself is going to be sorely missed by people (like me) who refuse to subsidize Murdoch's megalomania

So (Heh! Heh!) in a way, the Australians did win the Ashes after all...!!

A crying shame, as C4 were really getting into their stride with the coverage...

Written By: mrgazpacho on 09/12/05 at 9:23 pm

I have that feeling I always get at the end of a sporting contest I've really enjoyed, in ths case a mixture of elation (at England's win) and depression (as in what am I going to do now that it's over!?).

We feel the same, but opposite - elation at the great play, depression at losing ;)

at least give us some threats about what you're going to do to us in Australia next time!

Er... we're going to... um... give you all sunburn! :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/26/05 at 2:27 am

One thing that accounted to England's win and the dropping of Jason Gillespie from the Aussie Squad, he followed the like of Paul McCartney, by walking barefoot at the Abbey Road crossing.

Written By: mrgazpacho on 09/26/05 at 10:57 am

Jason is dead? :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/07/05 at 4:17 pm

And to celebrate the Ashes win, the UK has issued a set of postage stamps.

http://content.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/54000/54091.jpg

Written By: philbo on 10/07/05 at 4:33 pm

NB - the 68p stamp - the cost of a letter to Australia ;)

Might they release the album, do you think?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/07/05 at 4:40 pm

NB - the 68p stamp - the cost of a letter to Australia ;)

Might they release the album, do you think?
I was wondering which stamp would cover the cost to Austrailia

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/11/05 at 4:09 pm

Andrew Flintoff was named BBC Sports Personality of the Year with an overwhelming victory in a public vote.

Written By: philbo on 12/11/05 at 4:24 pm

...and Shane Warne got "Overseas sports personality of the year", too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/11/05 at 4:26 pm

England cricketers win team prize

Written By: karen on 12/12/05 at 5:33 am

And to celebrate the Ashes win, the UK has issued a set of postage stamps.

http://content.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/54000/54091.jpg

I always thought that the Queen was the only living person who was allowed to have their face on a postage stamp.  I'm sure I remember some hoo-ha a few years ago when the Royal Mail did a stamp with Freddie Mercury on it.  If you had a magnifying glass you could just see the image of Roger Taylor on the drums in the background.  I'm sure they had to withdraw the stamp.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/12/05 at 5:53 am

I always thought that the Queen was the only living person who was allowed to have their face on a postage stamp.

Written By: karen on 12/12/05 at 6:17 am

It has all changed now, were there stamps for Charles and Camilla?

Maybe the distinction was royalty?  Because I think there were Charles and Di stamps too

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/12/05 at 6:48 am

I'm sure I remember some hoo-ha a few years ago when the Royal Mail did a stamp with Freddie Mercury on it.

Written By: karen on 12/12/05 at 9:57 am

aha.  it all makes sense now!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/01/06 at 4:33 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/4569600.stm

England stars thrilled by honours

England captain Michael Vaughan hailed the effort given by the whole side on hearing his Ashes heroes had received New Year Honours.

Vaughan becomes an OBE for England's first Ashes win since 1987 while the rest of the side are appointed MBEs.

Written By: philbo on 01/01/06 at 5:17 pm

Vaughan becomes an OBE for England's first Ashes win since 1987 while the rest of the side are appointed MBEs.

In this case OBE meaning "Other Buggers' Efforts" being fairly appropriate ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/02/06 at 9:23 am

In this case OBE meaning "Other Buggers' Efforts" being fairly appropriate ;)
In crciketing terms, I thought it meant for Only Bats for England?

Check for new replies or respond here...