inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cooter calls for Dukes movie boycott

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/05 at 1:42 am

Ben Jones, the actor-turned-politician best known as "Cooter," the mechanic, on the original Dukes of Hazzard TV-series has been in the news this week.  He's calling for a boycott of the new motion picture based on the series to open in August.  Jones objects to the crassness, lewdness, and toilet humor in the film.  I overheard him say the new movie was "nothing but a hoochie-coochie show."
The first thing everyone asks is, "But Ben, what about those 'Daisy Dukes'?"  Jones regards the short-shorts made famous by Loretta Switt's character "Daisy" as nothing particularly suggestive.  He said, "That was just a woman walking around in shorts."  He seems to think the Jessica Simpson take on Daisy is nothing but an exaggeration on the "Daisy Dukes."  I guess Simpson just doesn't pick up on the subtleties and nuances of Cousin Daisy!
Anyway, that's what I've gathered from news snippets over the past couple of days.  Here's the lowdown straight from the horse's mouth over at cootersplace.com:
http://cootersplace.com/news_movie.asp

Now, Jones understands what a great sacrifice he's asking of all of us.  We've been waiting months and months for the arrival of a cinematic masterpiece based on our favorite hunk of TV history, the one that taught us that running away from the cops was not only doable, but lots of wholesome family fun too.  Cooter always was my favorite character.  Like my friend Matt remarked on how they keep the General on the road, "They've got Cooter, and Cooter will do anything for them!"
So now, let's do something for Cooter.  Who's with me?
;)

Subject: Re: Cooter calls for Dukes movie boycott

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/22/05 at 6:21 am

I agree with Cooter.

I will not watch the new "Dukes" remake... except for those scenes where Daisy is wearing that ultra-skimpy bikini.

;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/22/05 at 7:28 am

IMO, Jessica Simpson was a horrible pick for Daisy Duke.  I cannot stand that girl or her sister, or for that matter, the rest of her family...they are all very annoying.  I actually used to like her when she first came out, but now she is nothing but pure smut (like the majority of females in Hollywood). Did you guys happen to see her new video, "These boots were made for walking"??.....she reeks of sex....and it's just not becoming at all...no class at all anymore.

Erin

Written By: Apricot on 07/22/05 at 8:11 am

Boycott A Movie? Naaaaaaaaaaah. I probably won't see it, unless one of my uncles invite me {my father, who sees almost EVERY movie, even HE won't see this one}... but if I do see it, something tells me I'm not gonna like it either way.. even if it IS a smut-fest.

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 07/22/05 at 9:30 am

Jones regards the short-shorts made famous by Loretta Switt's character "Daisy" as nothing particularly suggestive.  He said, "That was just a woman walking around in shorts." 

There is an error in reporting.  Catherine Bach played the original Daisy and not Loretta Swit. Loretta Swit was "Hotlips" Houlihan in MASH.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/22/05 at 9:44 am

I used to like the series. The "actors" and evceryone else involved in this piece of garbage should be ashamed of themselvces. This "Movcie" has nothing whatsoevcer to do with the original series...but of course they don't care so long as they can line thier pockets with more money from people who didn't ever see the original show or just don't care. I'm 110% with you on this >:(

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/22/05 at 10:01 am

I expected this, though--judging from all the other classic Tv show-based remakes. I don't really think that they casted anyone accurately, they could have done a better job. It's not really my type of movie, so no, I probably won't be seeing it.

Beth

Written By: bj26 on 07/22/05 at 11:03 am

I had some laughs from the TV shows and even when Bo & Luke were replaced by Coy and Vance, Boss Hog and Rosco still were goofballs.  However, if the movie goes the route of the Beverly Hillbillies movie, I shall definately organize a boycott and vow to pickett the theatres in Daisy Duke hot pants!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/05 at 11:38 am

There is an error in reporting.  Catherine Bach played the original Daisy and not Loretta Swit. Loretta Swit was "Hotlips" Houlihan in MASH.

D'oh! How could I forget Catherine Bach!  She was soooo hot!  Loretta Switt?  I'm sure I wasn't thinking of "Hotlips" Houlihan!

Written By: limblifter on 07/22/05 at 11:50 am

I don't need anyone to tell me to stay away from this crap.

Especially an a$$ who actually auditioned to be in the movie and only started this whole boycott garbage after he was turned down ::)

Subject: !)

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 07/22/05 at 12:40 pm

Ben Jones, the actor-turned-politician best known as "Cooter," the mechanic, on the original Dukes of Hazzard TV-series has been in the news this week.  He's calling for a boycott of the new motion picture based on the series to open in August.  Jones objects to the crassness, lewdness, and toilet humor in the film.  I overheard him say the new movie was "nothing but a hoochie-coochie show."
Hell, it's got Stifler and Johnny Knoxville as Bo and Luke Duke. What do you expect?

Myself? I can't wait to see this film. As a matter of fact, I'm going to see it over and over and over again, just to spite everyone who keeps putting the original series up on such a high pedestal.  I mean sure, the Dukes of Hazzard was entertaining but it was also goofy and funny and it never took itself too seriously, and that what made it so appealing.  I think the new movie will be just fine.

(Hey Cooter, get over yourself!)

Written By: NullandVoid on 07/22/05 at 1:40 pm

Speaking of Cooter, has anyone seen a movie called "A Dirty Shame"?

Written By: Howard on 07/22/05 at 2:51 pm

I think guys are going to watch the movie for Jessica Simpson in a bikini. ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/22/05 at 3:01 pm

I'm not, not going to see it so much for what he says but for my own feelings. I saw enough of the lowlights at the last movie I saw and was not impressed. Everybody has thier opinions...mine is that it's not worth the time or money ::)

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/22/05 at 7:06 pm

I hated the series, so I'm definitely not going to see the movie (or anything with Johnny Knoxville or Jessica Simpson in it.)

Written By: Harmonica on 07/22/05 at 10:36 pm

I used to like the series. The "actors" and evceryone else involved in this piece of garbage should be ashamed of themselvces. This "Movcie" has nothing whatsoevcer to do with the original series...but of course they don't care so long as they can line thier pockets with more money from people who didn't ever see the original show or just don't care. I'm 110% with you on this >:(

If you look at your history of ole sitcoms/tv shows made into movies, the majority of them were horrible.  Brady Bunch, Beverly Hillbillies, nothing but a mockery.

Written By: Harmonica on 07/22/05 at 10:37 pm

IMO, Jessica Simpson was a horrible pick for Daisy Duke.  I cannot stand that girl or her sister, or for that matter, the rest of her family...they are all very annoying.  I actually used to like her when she first came out, but now she is nothing but pure smut (like the majority of females in Hollywood). Did you guys happen to see her new video, "These boots were made for walking"??.....she reeks of sex....and it's just not becoming at all...no class at all anymore.

Erin

I'm with you on the Jessica Simpson thing....although I will say her 3rd cousin's best friends Uncle's Wife is a pretty nice lady.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/22/05 at 10:38 pm

I'm with you on the Jessica Simpson thing....although I will say her 3rd cousin's best friends Uncle's Wife is a pretty nice lady.

it just sucks..because she used to be one of the ones that used to be classier...and wasn't all about looking or acting like a whore...but now she is "one of them"...no originality or anything. Her video literally made me wanna puke.

Erin :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/22/05 at 11:14 pm

If you look at your history of ole sitcoms/tv shows made into movies, the majority of them were horrible. Brady Bunch, Beverly Hillbillies, nothing but a mockery.
Sad but true :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/22/05 at 11:16 pm

it just sucks..because she used to be one of the ones that used to be classier...and wasn't all about looking or acting like a whore...but now she is "one of them"...or originality or anything. Her video literally made me wanna puke.

Erin :)
Another person sucked in to the Hollweird crap machine that churns out money without ANY morality....sadly many people are blind to this and continue to line the Big-wig pockets because it's only money that matters ::)

Written By: woops on 07/23/05 at 2:00 am

Never liked the original show and don't care for the remake... both reek sweaty socks  :D

As for remakes, some (actually a very few) are good like "Mission: Impossible".

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 07/23/05 at 2:45 am

They need to make an X-rated remake called "The Dykes of Hazzard." Anyone here interested in helping me write the screenplay? ;)

Written By: Anonymous56456 on 07/23/05 at 4:37 am

Dukes of Hazzard was toilet humor  ::)

infact, one even blows up during the introduction

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/23/05 at 10:03 am

Was the original show corny? Yes
The movie also looks corny but other than that is it anything like the original? No!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/23/05 at 10:13 am

When you take a show that wasn't that great to begin with and actually make it WORSE...well, that's my point ::)

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 07/24/05 at 6:03 am

From the previews I saw. The movie is gonna suck big time.

Written By: jiminy on 07/24/05 at 1:00 pm

and Cooter is slang for what?   ::)

remember when Inus got his own spin off show?
when will they make the Inus movie?
  :D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/05 at 3:00 pm

and Cooter is slang for what?   ::)

remember when Inus got his own spin off show?
when will they make the Inus movie?
  :D
Actually it was "Enos" which rhymes with...well the actor that played him kinda resembles Bob!

http://www.russmccubbin.com/enos.jpg

Written By: Howard on 07/25/05 at 5:44 pm

They need to make an X-rated remake called "The Dykes of Hazzard." Anyone here interested in helping me write the screenplay? ;)

I'll help you. ;D

Written By: Gis on 07/26/05 at 7:37 am

I saw a preview of it at the weekend and it looked cr*p ! Now the trailer for the new Wallace and Gromit movie looked fantastic , I can't wait for that to come out !

Written By: woops on 08/04/05 at 8:09 pm

It will flop...

And saw the original show  on CMT out of curuosity for one episode and wasn't anything interesting...  :P

Even if Natasha Bedingfield were to take Jessica Simpson's place, which I doubt she'll make a transition from pop singer to actress...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/04/05 at 11:20 pm

Actually it was "Enos" which rhymes with...well the actor that played him kinda resembles Bob!

http://www.russmccubbin.com/enos.jpg

Elvis the Pelvis had a little brother named Enos who was popular at dances, or so they used to say.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/05 at 3:04 pm

The movie was rated 1/2 stars. ;D

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 08/05/05 at 5:54 pm

I'll help you. ;D
Here's a starting point: At some point we all get to see Daisy Duke's "cooter."  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/05/05 at 9:16 pm

Who plays the role of Enis in this remake?

Also... who plays Roscoe P. Coltrane ? ???

Written By: Simpsfan on 08/05/05 at 9:38 pm

It will be a hit, because guys will go see Jessica look hot in her dukes, and they like the guy from American Pie.  Women won't go because they are jealous of jessica, but the men will make it a hit.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/06/05 at 12:08 am

It will be a hit, because guys will go see Jessica look hot in her dukes, and they like the guy from American Pie.  Women won't go because they are jealous of jessica, but the men will make it a hit.
It will be a huge hit "Blockbuster" to people with absolutely no morals or appreciation for a decent movie, which this obviously is NOT...best $7 I ever saved ;)

Written By: Nobody on 08/06/05 at 8:03 pm

Willie Nelson just praised Jessica Simpson at the red carpet interview ...was he stoned or something?  ::)

Written By: Howard on 08/07/05 at 5:36 pm

Here's a starting point: At some point we all get to see Daisy Duke's "cooter."  ;D ;D ;D

In Playboy you think? ;)

Subject: Re: !)

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 08/08/05 at 7:28 am

Hell, it's got Stifler and Johnny Knoxville as Bo and Luke Duke. What do you expect?

Myself? I can't wait to see this film. As a matter of fact, I'm going to see it over and over and over again, just to spite everyone who keeps putting the original series up on such a high pedestal.  I mean sure, the Dukes of Hazzard was entertaining but it was also goofy and funny and it never took itself too seriously, and that what made it so appealing.  I think the new movie will be just fine.

(Hey Cooter, get over yourself!)

I agree, the original series was just totally moronic stuff.  It was goober level comedy involving country backwoods people.  I was in the target age range for The Dukes of Hazzard back in the 80s, but even back then I could barely sit through an episode.  The car stunts were cool, but the rest of it couldn't hold my attention.  You can't expect a movie based on such a stupid TV series to be high dramatic art, and its hilarious that people are actually complaining about the change in the characters.  From what I remember, there were TONS of sexual inneundo in that old TV series as well, Daisy Duke, John Scneinder's character was a playa, etc, etc.....so people need to get overthemselves.  Ben Jones (Crazy Cooter) is a politician now, and he knows if he complains about morals and decency in the media today, it will win him a ton of easy brownie points.

I can't believe I'm even responding to a thread about "The Dukes of Hazzard".

Holy crap.    :D

Written By: tweetsie on 08/10/05 at 6:44 pm

I loved the Dukes of Hazzard TV show...  It was very entertaining to me when I was at the "target" age.

Still can't figure out who was hotter at the time...Charlie's Angel's Jill Munroe (Farrah Fawcett) or Dukes of Hazzard's Daisy Duke (Catherine Bach) :D

Written By: Karishnikov on 08/20/05 at 10:22 pm

Sweet Jesus you guys take this movie to seriously! Its a comedy. Its supposed to be funny. AND in some ways a parody of the original show. It takes advantage of the fact that mostly all they did was wreck a bunch of cop cars. You guys that complained about it need to go home and rethink your life. And about Jessica Simpson, she is a freaking idiot, but shes also freaking hot. As was the original Daisy. It wouldn't be right to have a good looking woman in the show and not have one in the movie. And I would like to add that anyone who has a problem with what I've said can shut up. I'm never going to check this again. I'm never coming back to this cite for that matter because of the biggotry that has occured here. Otherwise it looks pretty cool and I'm sure there are nice people here.  ;D

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 08/21/05 at 1:50 am

Sweet Jesus you guys take this movie to seriously! Its a comedy. Its supposed to be funny. AND in some ways a parody of the original show. It takes advantage of the fact that mostly all they did was wreck a bunch of cop cars. You guys that complained about it need to go home and rethink your life. And about Jessica Simpson, she is a freaking idiot, but shes also freaking hot. As was the original Daisy. It wouldn't be right to have a good looking woman in the show and not have one in the movie. And I would like to add that anyone who has a problem with what I've said can shut up. I'm never going to check this again. I'm never coming back to this cite for that matter because of the biggotry that has occured here. Otherwise it looks pretty cool and I'm sure there are nice people here.  ;D
"Biggotry?!?"  ;D ??? ;D ??? ;D

You, sir, are truly a poophead.

Written By: Dagwood on 08/21/05 at 7:50 am

"Biggotry?!?" ;D ??? ;D ??? ;D

You, sir, are truly a poophead.

And he thinks we take this movie too seriously? ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...