inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Should Rapist Hollyweird Producer Roman Polanski Be Captured?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/23/05 at 10:36 pm

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/polanskicover1.html

Subject: Re: Should Rapist Hollyweird Producer Roman Polanski Be Captured?

Written By: woops on 07/23/05 at 10:40 pm

He should be  captured. Then again, that was over 25 years ago and he only raped one person...who's still alive

He might as well get 10 years in prison.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/23/05 at 10:55 pm

He should be  captured. Then again, that was over 25 years ago and he only raped one person...who's still alive

He might as well get 10 years in prison.
Crime is crime...there is no time limit. He's a F*cking idiot who should get life without parole as if it were yesterday because he's been free all this time :-\\

Written By: Harmonica on 07/24/05 at 12:13 am

Lesile Van Hooten and Susan Atkins.

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/24/05 at 2:31 am

He should be brought to justice, but it's very unlikely he will be.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/24/05 at 7:45 am

I say go get him.  I don't care who he is, what he did was wrong and he needs to be brough to justice.

Lesile Van Hooten and Susan Atkins.

What do they have to do with this question?

Written By: Harmonica on 07/24/05 at 10:39 am

I say go get him.  I don't care who he is, what he did was wrong and he needs to be brough to justice.

What do they have to do with this question?

They are the murderers of his Polanski's wife.

Written By: whitewolf on 07/24/05 at 10:43 am

what does his wife's murder have to do with him being held responsible for raping a 13 year old girl?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/24/05 at 11:42 am

Charge him.

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/24/05 at 1:02 pm

Polanski is exiled in France, so in order for him to be charged, he either needs to set foot in the US (with the governments knowledge) or be extradicted.  France wont extradict him because they believe that his charge is not worth extradiction.  THe only way he can be charged is if he comes back home (which he's been carefully avoiding). 

I dont know if there is a statute of limitations on Statutory Rape (if there is its probable something like 30 years), but it doesnt matter...since Polanski fled the country there has been a "Time-out" for the age of the crime...meaning that the clock is officially haulted until he enters the US again.  So that statute of limitations has no bearing. 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/05 at 2:27 pm

Okay...someone voted leave him alonehttp://www.geocities.com/klaatu_77/slap.gif

Written By: jiminy on 07/24/05 at 2:29 pm

Okay...someone voted leave him alonehttp://www.geocities.com/klaatu_77/slap.gif

maybe he's a board member   :D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/05 at 3:03 pm

maybe he's a board member   :D
probably, or it could be the return of "Robbo" ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/24/05 at 3:07 pm

Charge him.

There's nothing to charge him with, except for fleeing the jurisdiction.

He was already convicted of the child rape.

My opinion?  We ought to tag his butt with one of those Predator drones.  Track his sorry self down and launch a hellfire missile at him.

And film it all in living color.

France will not extradite him 'cause he is a french citizen.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/05 at 3:47 pm

There's nothing to charge him with, except for fleeing the jurisdiction.

He was already convicted of the child rape.

My opinion?  We ought to tag his butt with one of those Predator drones.  Track his sorry self down and launch a hellfire missile at him.

And film it all in living color.

France will not extradite him 'cause he is a french citizen.
I wish that guy "Dog" the bounty hunter, would go and bring him backl.

Written By: NullandVoid on 07/24/05 at 4:27 pm

Crime is crime...there is no time limit. He's a F*cking idiot who should get life without parole as if it were yesterday because he's been free all this time :-\\

I agree whole heartedly >:(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/05 at 4:36 pm

I agree whole heartedly >:(
Thanks, and believe me, if I had enough money, I'd go get his sorry @ss myself!

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/24/05 at 4:40 pm

Probably proof that cad Polanski had propositioned younger women at his wife Sharon Tate's funeral (according to a witness in a recent magazine interview), leading to he pedophiliac ways. To go further (though I can't prove it), Polanski left for Europe after an argument with Sharon the morning she and her friends were murdered by the Manson family. He wasn't that broken up when he found out she was dead, so I assumed he didn't care much for her or her friends. Typical of a selfish uber-director.  >:(
what does his wife's murder have to do with him being held responsible for raping a 13 year old girl?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/05 at 5:24 pm

Probably proof that cad Polanski had propositioned younger women at his wife Sharon Tate's funeral (according to a witness in a recent magazine interview), leading to he pedophiliac ways. To go further (though I can't prove it), Polanski left for Europe after an argument with Sharon the morning she and her friends were murdered by the Manson family. He wasn't that broken up when he found out she was dead, so I assumed he didn't care much for her or her friends. Typical of a selfish uber-director.  >:(
He actually won an 87,000 dollar libel suit just the other day. The magazine claimed it was during the funeral when in actuality it was a couple weeks after. BTW, the judge allowed him to video testify because of his concern that he's be arrested if he showed up in person ::) Hey, maybe it was Judge Ito :P

Written By: woops on 07/24/05 at 5:50 pm

30 years is what  I would except

Though he might be a changed man who have found Scientology...  ::)

Written By: Dagwood on 07/24/05 at 6:28 pm

I knew that, but like Whitewolf said...what does that have to do with him raping a 13 year old?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/05 at 8:45 pm

I knew that, but like Whitewolf said...what does that have to do with him raping a 13 year old?
It's because it's connected to what a creep he is...though like I said, he won a recent court case against a tabloid because they said he was with someone else at the time of Sharon Tate's murder, it is fact that he indeed was with someone 2 weeks later....just an overview really.

Written By: saver on 07/24/05 at 9:28 pm

Gotta love those French people..for going along with whatever laws they made regarding CRIMINALS from other countries...afraid the wolves would get him  if they send him back so, why don't they implement the appropriate punishment?

:o

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/05 at 9:40 pm

Gotta love those French people..for going along with whatever laws they made regarding CRIMINALS from other countries...afraid the wolves would get him  if they send him back so, why don't they implement the appropriate punishment?

:o
They'd probably consider This http://www.geocities.com/klaatu_77/slap.gif  appropriate!

Written By: Dagwood on 07/25/05 at 7:25 am

It's because it's connected to what a creep he is...though like I said, he won a recent court case against a tabloid because they said he was with someone else at the time of Sharon Tate's murder, it is fact that he indeed was with someone 2 weeks later....just an overview really.

I still don't get the connection.  I don't think he had anything to do with the murder.  This thread isn't about the murder.  It makes no sense to me at all. 

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/25/05 at 9:10 am

Exactly, crazymom. Roman Polanski is no better than the Mansons if he propositioned anyone at any time after Sharon Tate's death. It shows how quickly Polanski made decisions solely with his one-eyed monster (for lack of a better term). Like Mike Tyson, Polanski is nothing more than a sex-crazed beast. I hope that answers your questions, ladies. 8)
And, the libel case was won because they said he propositioned a Swedish actress/model on the way to the funeral not at the time of the murder.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/25/05 at 12:39 pm

What do the people who murdered his wife have anything to do with what type of person he is?  And, the libel case was won because they said he propositioned a Swedish actress/model on the way to the funeral not at the time of the murder.
No, I nevcer said that...I only mean the Polanski is a creep for hitting on someone so close to before or after Sharon's funeral. I don't believce at ALL there's any connection to the murders and Polanski.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/25/05 at 6:32 pm

Sorry, I thought you were trying to say there was a connection as the quote you inserted was Dag's question about what the murderers had to do with the crime he's charged with.
It's cool, Kim ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/05 at 1:30 am

No.  I like Roman Polanski's films.  The real criminals of this world are those who steal the wealth of the world from the people.  Polanski doesn't even even rank in the top 1000 people who need to be caught and held accountable for the suffering they have caused other human beings. 
Leave Roman Polanski alone.  He has enriched my life with great cinema. 

Karl Rove on the other hand....

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/26/05 at 11:11 am

No.  I like Roman Polanski's films.  The real criminals of this world are those who steal the wealth of the world from the people.  Polanski doesn't even even rank in the top 1000 people who need to be caught and held accountable for the suffering they have caused other human beings. 

So because he makes great films, in your opinion, he should not be held accountable even though he raped a 13 year old and has basically given US authorities the "Finger"  :o :D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/26/05 at 11:18 am

According to the plea deal in place at the time, he wouldn't have served any time in jail.
I wonder why he ran then :-\\ It makes no sense to me ???

Written By: whitewolf on 07/26/05 at 12:32 pm

I wonder why he ran then :-\\ It makes no sense to me ???

Following his indictment on various sex charges, Polanski agreed to a plea deal that spared him prison time (he had spent about 45 days in jail during a court-ordered psychiatric evaluation). But when it seemed that a Superior Court judge might not honor the deal--and sentence Polanski to prison--the director fled the country.

quote from the link you provided at the beginning of this thread.

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/26/05 at 12:57 pm

that makes no sense....if he committed a crime he should be sent to prison....it makes no difference if he makes good movies....

though, Id also agree with the inverse of the statement...if one continuously makes bad movies he should go to jail lol....lets start with Pauly Shore...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/05 at 1:41 pm

So because he makes great films, in your opinion, he should not be held accountable even though he raped a 13 year old and has basically given US authorities the "Finger"  :o :D

Hey man, this is just a petty issue over which certain people like to ride a moralist high-horsey.  I'm not interested in debating it.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/26/05 at 2:06 pm

Hey man, this is just a petty issue over which certain people like to ride a moralist high-horsey.  I'm not interested in debating it.
Good 'cause the guy is a rapist bottom line, so there really isn't much left to debate is there?  Unless it's the peole who think he's such a great producer but want to conveniantly overlook that he's also a rapist ::)

Written By: Harmonica on 07/26/05 at 4:36 pm

There is a root to all evil, not saying that this is polanski's but it could be.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/26/05 at 4:44 pm

There is a root to all evil, not saying that this is polanski's but it could be.
ALL I know for sure is that he raped a 13 year old girl. I think it's sick to think that just because he's a good director we should just drop it. Typical celebrity jusice mentality ::)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/26/05 at 5:06 pm

No. I like Roman Polanski's films. The real criminals of this world are those who steal the wealth of the world from the people. Polanski doesn't even even rank in the top 1000 people who need to be caught and held accountable for the suffering they have caused other human beings.
Leave Roman Polanski alone. He has enriched my life with great cinema.

Roman Polanski RAPED someone! That means HE'S A CRIMINAL. He is FREE TO POSSIBLY RAPE ANOTHER YOUNG GIRL.... >:(

NEVER trivialize RAPE. It happened to me. RAPE is absolutely MONSTROUS. HEINOUS. HORRIBLE. and no you don't 'just get counseling and forget it happened'...it stays with you. I still have nightmares about what happened to me. I still look behind me if I even just THINK someone is following me... :\'(
Let Polanski rot in jail...and the Burning Basement once he's dead.... :(

Written By: Dagwood on 07/26/05 at 6:36 pm

Hey man, this is just a petty issue over which certain people like to ride a moralist high-horsey. I'm not interested in debating it.

Rape is a petty issue?

Written By: whitewolf on 07/26/05 at 7:00 pm

even if it was, his wife's murder would not justify him raping a young girl.

Written By: Harmonica on 07/26/05 at 7:04 pm

even if it was, his wife's murder would not justify him raping a young girl.

Justify? Hell No.  I study criminals, evil people, read books on them, read about them on the internet, watch documentaries on them.  There's something that makes them all tick, it's not just "because" or chemical imbalances in the brain or some crap like that. They all have something or someone that happened to them.

TonyStewartistheman  had it right when she said, " Let Polanski rot in jail...and the Burning Basement once he's dead.... "

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/05 at 8:11 pm

Rape is a petty issue?

No, the dredging up of Polanski's case is.  Just like Teddy Kennedy and Chappaquidick.  Neither one of these crimes were petty.  The pettiness comes from the people who rehash the stories time and again.
Pound the podium and cry for justice on behalf of the victim!  It's great cover for John Walsh-types who are really into what boils down to vindictiveness.  You know who you are out there!  I see through ya like cellophane!

Written By: zcrito on 07/26/05 at 8:41 pm

Leave Roman Polanski alone, since his victim says she wants it that way. She was on Larry King a year or so ago and talked about what had happened and how she feels about it today.

As for his films, he should have been put in prison for making depressing films like "Rosemary's Baby".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/05 at 8:59 pm

Leave Roman Polanski alone, since his victim says she wants it that way. She was on Larry King a year or so ago and talked about what had happened and how she feels about it today.

As for his films, he should have been put in prison for making depressing films like "Rosemary's Baby".

Thank you, Z, you make sense!

"Rosemary's Baby" wasn't depressing, it was terrifying.  RB is one of my all-time favorite horror movies.  It's not the Satanism and the supernatural that make it so disturbing, it's the suspense and the treachery.  Guy let's a coven of witches turn his unborn child into the anti-christ in exchange for them summoning Satanic powers to further his acting career!  I mean, the whole thing is just horrible and disgusting!  Mia Farrow couldn't be better as the hapless pale waif, "Rosemary," and then you've got this seemingly charming old couple next door...
OK, don't get me started, I could go on for hours!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/26/05 at 9:06 pm

Oh okay, so it's alright for him to have raped someone as long as they say they don't want anything done. Too bad the LAW doesn't work that way...see, a crime is a crime. I'm all for forgiveness but that doesn't change the fact that it was a rape!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/26/05 at 9:24 pm

Wait a minute....you're saying what the victim wants does not matter?
Oh sure, she can forgive him but he still committed a crime and the law says Rape is a crime.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/26/05 at 9:34 pm

But, if she doesn't want to go relive it again, you're saying she should have to and IMO, that's not right.
I agree that it is bad she would have to relive it...fact is he was already tried found guilty and about to be charged. He fled and should be brought back to face the music.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/26/05 at 9:55 pm

I am sorry.  He is a pedophile, and needs to be taken down.

Roman pleaded guilty to the charges of Statutory Rape, and of giving Quaalides and Alcohol to a 13 year old girl!  He skipped the country while on bail between the plea and his sentencing hearing.  In fact, in addition to being a fugitive, he is also a registered sex offender.

In his travels, he is very careful where he goes to.  He avoids travel to any countries where there is an extradition treaty with the US that allows the extradition of foreign nationals.  Almost all of his travels are non-stop flights to and from Poland, since even stopping over in a country like England or Norway can result in his ass being pulled off the plane and sent to the US in handcuffs (a'la Bobby Fischer).

In my book, the 3 worst crimes an individual can commit are:

1.  Murder
2.  Assault on a child (Murder, rape, physical assault)
3.  Rape

And I do not care how much he has done in the name of "Art".  In my opinion, these people should be shunned.  I will not see anything made by this man.  I will also not see anything made by Victor Salva (Powder, Jeepers Creepers, Jeepers Creepers 2).  He is a pedophile, having plead guilty in 1988 to 5 felony counts of child molestation, and of videotaping the encounter of himself and a 12 year old boy.

I could not give a damn about art, or culture, or anything else that may come from the minds of sick perverts like this.  They should be shunned by anybody with morals and conscience.

Written By: zcrito on 07/26/05 at 10:36 pm

Thank you, Z, you make sense!

"Rosemary's Baby" wasn't depressing, it was terrifying.  RB is one of my all-time favorite horror movies.  It's not the Satanism and the supernatural that make it so disturbing, it's the suspense and the treachery.  Guy let's a coven of witches turn his unborn child into the anti-christ in exchange for them summoning Satanic powers to further his acting career!  I mean, the whole thing is just horrible and disgusting!  Mia Farrow couldn't be better as the hapless pale waif, "Rosemary," and then you've got this seemingly charming old couple next door...
OK, don't get me started, I could go on for hours!

I saw the whole Rosemary's Baby movie just 17 years ago. I'd only seen "snippets" of it before then. I never thought it was terrifying, but it's the first (and one of the few times) in my life where I felt I had been robbed of a good 2 hours of my life after seeing a movie.

Written By: jiminy on 07/26/05 at 10:42 pm

I saw the whole Rosemary's Baby movie just 17 years ago. I'd only seen "snippets" of it before then. I never thought it was terrifying, but it's the first (and one of the few times) in my life where I felt I had been robbed of a good 2 hours of my life after seeing a movie.

remember the movie, the Amityville horror?

Get Out!

Written By: zcrito on 07/26/05 at 10:51 pm

remember the movie, the Amityville horror?

Get Out!

You're on to something, Jiminy.
Rosemary's Baby, The Birds, Amityville Horror, Targets -- just a few depressing movies that come to mind.

(sorry to get off the topic on this one)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/28/05 at 1:48 pm

I am sorry.  He is a pedophile, and needs to be taken down.

Roman pleaded guilty to the charges of Statutory Rape, and of giving Quaalides and Alcohol to a 13 year old girl!  He skipped the country while on bail between the plea and his sentencing hearing.  In fact, in addition to being a fugitive, he is also a registered sex offender.

In his travels, he is very careful where he goes to.  He avoids travel to any countries where there is an extradition treaty with the US that allows the extradition of foreign nationals.  Almost all of his travels are non-stop flights to and from Poland, since even stopping over in a country like England or Norway can result in his butt being pulled off the plane and sent to the US in handcuffs (a'la Bobby Fischer).

In my book, the 3 worst crimes an individual can commit are:

1.  Murder
2.  Assault on a child (Murder, rape, physical assault)
3.  Rape

And I do not care how much he has done in the name of "Art".  In my opinion, these people should be shunned.  I will not see anything made by this man.  I will also not see anything made by Victor Salva (Powder, Jeepers Creepers, Jeepers Creepers 2).  He is a pedophile, having plead guilty in 1988 to 5 felony counts of child molestation, and of videotaping the encounter of himself and a 12 year old boy.

I could not give a darn about art, or culture, or anything else that may come from the minds of sick perverts like this.  They should be shunned by anybody with morals and conscience.
I could not have said it better myself!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/28/05 at 7:55 pm

No, the dredging up of Polanski's case is. Just like Teddy Kennedy and Chappaquidick. Neither one of these crimes were petty. The pettiness comes from the people who rehash the stories time and again.
Pound the podium and cry for justice on behalf of the victim! It's great cover for John Walsh-types who are really into what boils down to vindictiveness. You know who you are out there! I see through ya like cellophane!

I was raped....so IMHO ANY rape case is far from petty,minute,or trivial.....Of course you have never been through anything like a sexual assault...I was 13 at the time,it was two men(or pigs would be a more apt description)..and it was FAR from petty or trivial. ALL rapists are PIGS. Wealthy or dirt-poor does not matter...ALL rapists should be locked up..and no chance for parole. Throw away the key. Let them rot in PRISON...General Population would love to have them!!

Written By: Mushroom on 07/28/05 at 8:36 pm

Pound the podium and cry for justice on behalf of the victim!  It's great cover for John Walsh-types who are really into what boils down to vindictiveness.  You know who you are out there!  I see through ya like cellophane!

Well, I guess I have to forgive John Walsh.  I mean, it was only that his 6 year old son was kidnapped, raped, and murdered.  And they have never found his head, only his decapitated torso.

If you call it "vindictiveness" to want to see animals that do thing like that shot (and worse!), then I guess you live in a fantasy world where everybody dusts themselves off and is able to go on with life with no feelings, no remorse, no regret.

Myself, I can't forgive things like that.  I can forgive somebody who stole my car radio, I can forgive the person that drove dunk and ruined my knee.  I can't forgive a child rapist nor a murderer.

Myself, I wish more people were vindictive like John Walsh.  Since 1988, he has helped in the capture of 851 criminals.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/28/05 at 8:43 pm

Well, I guess I have to forgive John Walsh.  I mean, it was only that his 6 year old son was kidnapped, raped, and murdered.  And they have never found his head, only his decapitated torso.

If you call it "vindictiveness" to want to see animals that do thing like that shot (and worse!), then I guess you live in a fantasy world where everybody dusts themselves off and is able to go on with life with no feelings, no remorse, no regret.

Myself, I can't forgive things like that.  I can forgive somebody who stole my car radio, I can forgive the person that drove dunk and ruined my knee.  I can't forgive a child rapist nor a murderer.

Myself, I wish more people were vindictive like John Walsh.  Since 1988, he has helped in the capture of 851 criminals.
Maybe Max would feel different if it were his daughter who was raped. And let's not forget, Polanski was "Convicted" ;)

Written By: Mushroom on 07/28/05 at 9:16 pm

Maybe Max would feel different if it were his daughter who was raped. And let's not forget, Polanski was "Convicted" ;)

So true.  In fact, he plead guilty!

I forgot to answer a question from earlier in here.  In this case the Statute of Limitations does not apply, because he was convicted.  That only applies if he was never brought to trial.

As far as I know, there are only 2 crimes in the United States where the Statute does not apply at all, Murder and Treason.  And it only applies for people charged with a crime.  When they are convicted, they can be apprehended and jailed at any time, even if it is 50 years later.  That is why people who are "Convicted In Abesntia" continue to run, because once they are caught, they go straight to jail.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/28/05 at 9:31 pm

So true.  In fact, he plead guilty!

I forgot to answer a question from earlier in here.  In this case the Statute of Limitations does not apply, because he was convicted.  That only applies if he was never brought to trial.

As far as I know, there are only 2 crimes in the United States where the Statute does not apply at all, Murder and Treason.  And it only applies for people charged with a crime.  When they are convicted, they can be apprehended and jailed at any time, even if it is 50 years later.  That is why people who are "Convicted In Abesntia" continue to run, because once they are caught, they go straight to jail.
Hey man, NONE of that matters to the Hollyweird elite or the other fans of th GREAT Polanski the awesome director :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/29/05 at 1:43 am

Hey man, NONE of that matters to the Hollyweird elite or the other fans of th GREAT Polanski the awesome director :D

The two of you fail distinguish my gratitute toward Mr. Walsh for his service to society on America's Most Wanted, and my objection to the Right using Walsh as a political football.
You keep saying, "What if it happened to YOUR kid?"  Well come on!  Let's not be dumb about it.  I don't have kids.  If I had a child who was destroyed the way Adam Walsh was, I would want to send the mudderfugger who did it through a sawmill!  But that's not justice, that's revenge.  We have a justice system, not a revenge system.  Yes, I would want the perpetrator caught and put away forever.

What you see with O'Reilly, Hannity, Scarborough and other is indeed the political ploy I described above.  The right-wing psychology is all Fear and Daddy.  The right-wing goals are corporate control and religious authority.  The show the pundits put on is about arousing fear of sickos and resentment of liberalism.  They blame "liberal" judges for letting bad guys go, and blame "liberal" philosophy, which says criminals are sick but redeemable.  The allusion is that the devil inhabits the minds of criminals and the best thing to do is execute them.  If blow-hard pundits such as O'Reilly and Hannity truly cared about the well-being of children in this country, they wouldn't fight like caged rats against anything that promotes economic justice.

I can't begin to know how painful it is to have your child taken from you by a murderer and I never trivialized it.

I never said Roman Polanski did the right thing either.  You don't drug and rape a thirteen year old girl.  You don't drug and rape anybody, it's wrong.  Period.  The detriment of Sharon Tate's murder to his mental health does not mitigate the crime.  He should have paid for his crime.  He didn't, and if he doesn't return to the U.S., he never will.  He is a European director who makes weirdo movies and got away with a sex crime.  Few things could make American Conservatives crazier!
However, the woman who was raped by Polanski when she was thirteen is not suing for his extradition.  She wants to let the matter rest.  If she was out there saying Polanski did grave and permanent damage to her life and she wanted to see him in jail, I would be more inclined to support his capture.
I still enjoy his films and I'm not going to shake my fist at Roman just because you guys don't like him.

Anyway, Polanski makes movies, but he's not Hollywood elite.  He hasn't been to Hollywood for decades.  Now, Arnold Scheissenegger IS Hollywood elite, but he's OK because he's a partisan Republican action hero.  Ahhnold just may have had his way with a few unwilling participants as well, but he never got caught.  If Polanski was not a convicted criminal and wanted to run for governor of California as a Republican, you guys STILL wouldn't vote for him because he's short and funny-looking.

BTW, the statute of limitations DOES NOT apply to Polanski because he plead guilty to a felony and is a fugitive from justice.  Say, hypothetically, another woman came forward today with evidence that Polanski raped her in 1973, then the statute of limitations would apply.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/29/05 at 9:59 am

He was convicted, period.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/29/05 at 2:37 pm

And if he comes back to the US, he WILL be captured.  If not, then there's nothing we can do about it so that point is moot.  She doesn't want our country to spend the $$ to go "get him" so why should we?

Because some people don't like freaky little "Hollywood elite" European guys to get away with something.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/29/05 at 3:22 pm

However, the woman who was raped by Polanski when she was thirteen is not suing for his extradition.  She wants to let the matter rest.  If she was out there saying Polanski did grave and permanent damage to her life and she wanted to see him in jail, I would be more inclined to support his capture.

Actually, she can't sue for extradition.  That is a matter that is between Nations, not individuals.  And the US has requested that Roman be extradited to the US, and France basically told them to get lost.  Their Constitution does not allow the extradition of Foreign Nationals, and that is that.  There is nothing the woman can do in order to have anything done.

Anyway, Polanski makes movies, but he's not Hollywood elite.  He hasn't been to Hollywood for decades.  Now, Arnold Scheissenegger IS Hollywood elite, but he's OK because he's a partisan Republican action hero.  Ahhnold just may have had his way with a few unwilling participants as well, but he never got caught.  If Polanski was not a convicted criminal and wanted to run for governor of California as a Republican, you guys STILL wouldn't vote for him because he's short and funny-looking.

Actually, "Hollywood Elite" is not a location, it is more of a state of mind.

My best friend works in "The Industry", and has for many years.  But he is not a member of the "Hollywood Elite", because he detests the "studio system".  He prefers to be an independent filmmaker, without all the BS of Unions, Guilds, and Studios breathing down his back.  Francis Ford Coppola and George Lucas started out as maverick independent filmmakers, but eventually even they got sucked at least partially into the system.

Arnold never tried to pretend that his films were anything other then movies to entertain people.  He never tried to attach deep meanings to them, or to claim that he understood some social issue because of a role he played.  He was a body builder turned action movie actor, and that is all he has ever really claimed to be.  The only "issue" he was an activist for was physical fittness, and nobody can deny it is a topic he is well versed in.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/29/05 at 4:23 pm

Because some people don't like freaky little "Hollywood elite" European guys to get away with something.
Sorry, but I hate when anybody gets away with Rape...and that's not just "Something"...and then to put this creep on some pedastal because he's a producer, big deal :P

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/29/05 at 4:24 pm

And if he comes back to the US, he WILL be captured.  If not, then there's nothing we can do about it so that point is moot.  She doesn't want our country to spend the $$ to go "get him" so why should we?
Yeah, it's too bad we can't get somebody like a bounty hunter to just go and get him. It just angers me that he and the French government are thumbing thier collective noses at us, that's all :-\\

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/29/05 at 7:19 pm

The two of you fail distinguish my gratitute toward Mr. Walsh for his service to society on America's Most Wanted, and my objection to the Right using Walsh as a political football.
You keep saying, "What if it happened to YOUR kid?"  Well come on!  Let's not be dumb about it.  I don't have kids.  If I had a child who was destroyed the way Adam Walsh was, I would want to send the mudderfugger who did it through a sawmill!  But that's not justice, that's revenge.  We have a justice system, not a revenge system.  Yes, I would want the perpetrator caught and put away forever.

What you see with O'Reilly, Hannity, Scarborough and other is indeed the political ploy I described above.  The right-wing psychology is all Fear and Daddy.  The right-wing goals are corporate control and religious authority.  The show the pundits put on is about arousing fear of sickos and resentment of liberalism.  They blame "liberal" judges for letting bad guys go, and blame "liberal" philosophy, which says criminals are sick but redeemable.  The allusion is that the devil inhabits the minds of criminals and the best thing to do is execute them.  If blow-hard pundits such as O'Reilly and Hannity truly cared about the well-being of children in this country, they wouldn't fight like caged rats against anything that promotes economic justice.

I can't begin to know how painful it is to have your child taken from you by a murderer and I never trivialized it.

I never said Roman Polanski did the right thing either.  You don't drug and rape a thirteen year old girl.  You don't drug and rape anybody, it's wrong.  Period.  The detriment of Sharon Tate's murder to his mental health does not mitigate the crime.  He should have paid for his crime.  He didn't, and if he doesn't return to the U.S., he never will.  He is a European director who makes weirdo movies and got away with a sex crime.  Few things could make American Conservatives crazier!
I still enjoy his films and I'm not going to shake my fist at Roman just because you guys don't like him.

BTW, the statute of limitations DOES NOT apply to Polanski because he plead guilty to a felony and is a fugitive from justice.  Say, hypothetically, another woman came forward today with evidence that Polanski raped her in 1973, then the statute of limitations would apply.
I still remember what happened to me..EXACTLY as CLEAR as it was when it happened. If I talked at length and was graphic about all the horrible details...I'd not be allowed on Decades anymore. Yes it was that bad...I was in the midst of running away from another horror...my then foster home..they tried to keep me up for several nights interrogating me for something I did NOT do....I was shoved into a car and RAPED by two men(who were total PIGS)that same night...that caused my first breakdown. Do you UNDERSTAND that as long as Polanski is free...as long as ANY sick-minded rapist is....the rapes will go on. Rapists need the friggen PRISON cell door slammed shut on them...and NO d@mn parole either...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/29/05 at 10:15 pm

You could....but if it's not what the VICTIM wants, are YOU going to foot the bill?
If I had the money...I'd go there and bring him back myself. It's SO F'd up that people actually are defending a rapist :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/30/05 at 1:44 am

Actually, she can't sue for extradition.  That is a matter that is between Nations, not individuals.  And the US has requested that Roman be extradited to the US, and France basically told them to get lost.  Their Constitution does not allow the extradition of Foreign Nationals, and that is that.  There is nothing the woman can do in order to have anything done.

I was using the word "sue" in a general sense of "to petition or advocate for," not in the legal sense.  Bad choice of words on my part because "sue for extradition" is a legal process in itself.

Actually, "Hollywood Elite" is not a location, it is more of a state of mind.

I don't buy it.  It's like the way the right-wing pundits try to parse "elitism" from "wealth."  That way Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh can include themselves in the ranks of "regular folks," while calling some English teacher making 40K a year an "elitist."  It's part of the ruse to get working class people to vote for conservative Republicans, thus AGAINST their economic interests, and it works!
Being "Hollywood elite" just means being a liberal who is famous in showbiz.  Bruce Willis is not referred to as "Hollywood elite" because he's a Republican, while Tim Robbins is because he's a liberal.
Incidentally, the only people who seem to care what these "Hollywood elite" liberals think are paranoid conservatives.  I live in one of THE most liberal areas of the country and I have yet to meet any liberal who gives a rat's azz what Barbara Streisand, Susan Sarandon, Alec Baldwin, or Oliver Stone thinks!  I mean, do you really think "liberals" take their cues from Sean Penn?  WTF?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/30/05 at 6:53 pm

I'd LOVE to see every d@mn rapist LOCKED UP.....LIFE SENTENCE WITH NO PAROLE OR TIME OFF 'FOR GOOD BEHAVIOR' WHATSOEVER...no loopholes,NO FRIGGIN EXCEPTIONS,even for old age OR illness...Take the punishment for what they did for the rest of their life.....and beyond. Ol' Scratch welcomes them with open arms in HADES....

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/30/05 at 6:55 pm

I'd LOVE to see every d@mn rapist LOCKED UP.....LIFE SENTENCE WITH NO PAROLE OR TIME OFF 'FOR GOOD BEHAVIOR' WHATSOEVER...no loopholes,NO FRIGGIN EXCEPTIONS,even for old age OR illness...Take the punishment for what they did for the rest of their life.....and beyond. Ol' Scratch welcomes them with open arms in HADES....
Justice,in a timely manner,fair BUT THOROUGH,jailed for life with no way out unless it's in a coffin.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/31/05 at 3:08 am

I'm not defending him, I'm basing my feelings on this on what the VICTIM wants.  It's useless to talk about "capturing" him because it's not going to happen.....in part because the VICTIM wants to leave it in the past and not have it brought up again and again and again.  She has gone on with her life and gotten past what happened to her.  Every time it's brought up, she is forced to relive it.  How would you feel if you wanted to forgive Blaine's killer but other people kept bringing it up again and again and again?
I've had thoughts about the forgiveness issue and believe me, sometimes it rips me in two. But the thing that makes my life a little more bearable is the fact that the guy is locked up and serving his time.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/31/05 at 12:31 pm

I've had thoughts about the forgiveness issue and believe me, sometimes it rips me in two. But the thing that makes my life a little more bearable is the fact that the guy is locked up and serving his time.
I absolutely CANNOT forgive and WILL NOT forgive the two losers that raped me. They do NOT deserve forgiveness...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/31/05 at 8:16 pm

You missed the point. Think of how you feel when someone mentions Subway....everything is brought up again. That's how she feels whenever people start talking about Polaski. I would venture to say that it's even WORSE for her because she's forgiven him, something you'll never do.
as I said I have absolutely NO forgiveness for my rapists...They..and what they did to me...still torments me via nightmares to this day....And I always look behind me if I even FEEL like I'm being followed...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/31/05 at 8:47 pm

You missed the point.  Think of how you feel when someone mentions Subway....everything is brought up again.  That's how she feels whenever people start talking about Polaski.  I would venture to say that it's even WORSE for her because she's forgiven him, something you'll never do.
I understand your point and agree to some degree. My point is that he broke the law and needs to pay. If the guy that killed my son had escaped to another country and was living rich, you can bet I would want him apprehended so that chapter could be closed.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/31/05 at 8:54 pm

Roman Polanski is a PIG,plain and simple...

Rosemary's Baby absolutely s**ked!!

Polanski should be apprehended..brought back here to face justice..and rot in PRISON...in General Population....some con will do what the justice system did not!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/31/05 at 9:14 pm

She's already "closed the chapter" but people keep bringing it up and reopening it.  Christ!  Can't you just let her live her life in peace???
WHY should a convicted rapist be free, just because she forgives him? Okay, so let's let her start a worldwide organization that allows criminals to walk as long as thier victims forgive them?? I'm sorry but he broke the LAW and was convicted, he should be punished, period!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/31/05 at 9:23 pm

And if he's brought back here, she's going to be FORCED to go through it again.  Real nice.
He was already convicted. They would sentence him and stick his @ss in prison where he belongs. The Trial is over.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/31/05 at 9:33 pm

And, you honestly think it wouldn't go BACK to trial?  That it wouldn't be appealed?  That there wouldn't be additional charges and the original case be brought back up within that trial?  You must be delusional ::)
I'm sorry that it's delusional to think that if a guy breaks the law and runs away he should get away with it :-\\ If the guy that killed Blaine had run away I'd want him brought to justice. I feel bad for her but just because a victim forgives a criminal doesn't mean the law shouldn't be upheld.

Written By: EthanM on 07/31/05 at 9:45 pm

What about having to spend thirty years in France... doesn't that count as punishment?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/31/05 at 9:59 pm

Get over yourself.  The delusional part is if you believe there's not going to be another trial if he comes back....that he's just going to go quietly to jail and things will all be hunky dory.  If nothing else, he will be tried for bail jumping and a host of other charges related to him fleeing.  Not to mention the appeals he has available.  At each and every one of these, she is going to be raped again and again.  Believe it or not, there ARE some people who can get over crap like this and move on with their life.  Her wishes should most certainly be considered.
I'm sorry but I'm just saying, a law was broken, he was convicted and he should pay. BTW, my ex was raped/molested and she won't rest until they are punished somehow. It hurts her to go through the proccess she can hopefully discourage this happening to someone else.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/31/05 at 10:12 pm

If your ex DIDN'T want anything done to whoever did that to her, would you still be dead set that something be done?  Would you still make her relive it again and again?  They take the victims feelings into consideration all the time when it comes to sentencing.  Why not in this case?  Because he happens to be rich and famous?  Or because he's part of "Hollyweird"?
I asked her about that and as painful as the nightmares are for her, she doesn't want these jerks to rape anyone else.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/31/05 at 10:20 pm

You just don't get it and never will.
That she or I don't want criminals free to rape someone else? What is so bad about that??

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/31/05 at 10:41 pm

My gut feeling is saying bring him back and throw him in prison. However, I don't know the whole story, so it's hard to tell whether he should be trialed or not. I'll just stay out of this argument.  ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/31/05 at 10:50 pm

How would you feel if someone kept bringing up Blaine's murder and Subway, no matter how many times you asked them to not bring it up?  It's a stretch, but let's say you managed to get on with your life instead of dwelling on it every day and getting seriously bent out of shape whenever Subway was brought up.  How would you feel if people kept bringing it up anyway, KNOWING that it bothered you?  If people refused to let you get on with your life and kept making you relive that night?  I'm sure you wouldn't be happy about it.....well, THAT'S what this kind of crap is doing to her.  All you are focused on is HIS life and what HE'S doing, what about HER life and what SHE wants done?  Oh, that's right, to hell with her wishes, she doesn't matter.
Ah, but in both cases the criminal was caught! If they go get this punk and bring him back, she goes through at worst, what me and my family went through, the trial and all that being dragged up again. But, now the trials are over and the creeps are all in prison where they belong. It was worth the pain to be able to know that these morons can't hurt anyone else! Again, I sympathize with her as me and my family dealt with a horrid thing, but if she can find the stregnth to get through the final process and see him jailed she can at least know that he won't be out there able to maybe rape someone else. Bottom lin is he he broke the law by raping her, and he should go to prison...then she can get on with her life AND another criminal is out of circulation.

Written By: EthanM on 07/31/05 at 10:54 pm

Have there been any more allegations of predatory behavior on Polanki's part after that one incident? Since if not, then he is certainly not a menace to society and the only reason to pursue this is the idea that people who committed a crime and got caught need to be dealt with by the legal system.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/31/05 at 11:00 pm

the only reason to pursue this is the idea that people who committed a crime and got caught need to be dealt with by the legal system.
Absolutely! He committed a crime!! IF OJ had gotten away with double murder...oh wait! Okay, if anyone breaks the law, is convicted but before being sentenced, flees the country and becomes a model citizen, we should just forget about the crime and let him get away with breaking the law....all because the victim says we should? Yeah that makes so much sense. Let's put in a new law that if a victim forgives then the law can be ignored ::)

Written By: EthanM on 07/31/05 at 11:51 pm

People who capture fugitives must have more important things to do - more vile villains to find - does the name Osama Bin Laden ring a bell? 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/01/05 at 12:40 am

Absolutely! He committed a crime!! IF OJ had gotten away with double murder...oh wait! Okay, if anyone breaks the law, is convicted but before being sentenced, flees the country and becomes a model citizen, we should just forget about the crime and let him get away with breaking the law....all because the victim says we should? Yeah that makes so much sense. Let's put in a new law that if a victim forgives then the law can be ignored ::)

We haven't forgotten about Polanski's crime.  We wouldn't be discussing it if it wasn't still in the public eye.  Is unforgivable as child rape is, it is still many degrees less severe than a double murder.  If Polanski had murdered two people, I would say he's worth pursuing internationally.
My opinion of Polanski would be altogether different if he was out there in Europe committing more crimes.  Who knows?  Maybe he has drugged and raped dozens of teenage girls and is just more stealthy about it.  However, I haven't heard any such allegations.  If the rape was a sole act of predation by a temporarily deranged man, then I'm more forgiving.
If you just can't stand the idea of a convicted rapist eluding justice, then write your Congressman.  As you say, it will take negotiations with France to get Polanski extradited to the U.S.  You might have a better chance of seeing this happen if the Bush Administration hadn't been so bloody nasty to the French!  I suppose you could bypass the legal process and hire mercenaries to go get Polanski, but then Polanski would argue he was kidnapped and illegally transported to America.  Forget the court system.  Send Rambo, and have him dump Polanski in your garage.  Then you can do with him what you please!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/01/05 at 9:31 am

So let's open the door for everyone who commits a crime....as long as your victim forgives you, you don't have to be punished!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/01/05 at 10:11 am

Yes.  It happens all the time.  ESPECIALLY in rape cases.  If the victim doesn't want punishment, there's not a whole heck of a lot the police can do.
But he was already convicted and was about to be sentenced.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/01/05 at 10:37 am

Again, he was NOT convicted, there wasn't even a trial.  He pled guilty to 1 charge and the others were dismissed as part of the plea bargain.  If the plea had been accepted, he would have spent ZERO additional days in jail. 
Judge Can't Wait for Polanski, Retires

Originally published in the Los Angeles Times, July 1, 1989

The Los Angeles judge who once vowed to remain on the bench until Roman Polanski returned for sentencing retired Friday, saying, "I can't wait that long," and turned in his gavel. Reports that the judge was going to put him away for years inspired his flight.

Rittenband issued an arrest warrant for Polanski in 1978 when the director fled to France rather than appear for sentencing after he had been convicted of having unlawful intercourse with a 13-year-old girl.

Reports that the judge was going to put him away for years inspired his flight.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/01/05 at 10:52 am

Despite a flurry of new rumours, Roman Polanski says he has no plans to try to return to the United States, which he fled 22 years ago after being convicted of "unlawful sexual intercourse" with a 13-year-old girl he was photographing.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/01/05 at 10:53 am

Peace, I'm Out :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/01/05 at 2:03 pm

Roman Polanski's 25-year-old crimes should not damage his chances for an Oscar, his victim says
Los Angeles Times
February 23, 2003
Author: Samantha Geimer
Editorial Pages Desk
Edition: Home Edition
Section: Opinion
Page: M-5

...We pressed charges, and he pleaded guilty. A plea bargain was agreed to by his lawyer, my lawyer and the district attorney, and it was approved by the judge. But to our amazement, at the last minute the judge went back on his word and refused to honor the deal.

...And should he come back? I have to imagine he would rather not be a fugitive and be able to travel freely. Personally, I would like to see that happen. He never should have been put in the position that led him to flee. He should have received a sentence of time served 25 years ago, just as we all agreed. At that time, my lawyer, Lawrence Silver, wrote to the judge that the plea agreement should be accepted and that that guilty plea would be sufficient contrition to satisfy us. I have not changed my mind.

I know there is a price to pay for running. But who wouldn't think about running when facing a 50-year sentence from a judge who was clearly more interested in his own reputation than a fair judgment or even the well-being of the victim?

words straight out of the victim's mouth  THAT'S what I base my opinion on.
Hey, plea bargains aren't always a garauntee. That's why he ran...after he was convicted. I'm gonna close this by just saying that I have tried and I do understand your point of view...I just don't agree with you  but that doesn't make me or you bad people. I'm sorry we reached an impasse :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/01/05 at 2:36 pm

Whatever ::)
Now THAT's really mature ::) Here....I'm not going on with this as we've obviously can't agree. I still respect you and your opinion!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/01/05 at 2:41 pm

What sentence?  He hasn't been sentenced.  If the judge had honored the original sentence agreed upon by the victim & the prosecutor, he would not have served another day in jail.  If he comes back, the plea bargain will no longer stand and there would probably be a trial.....which the victim has said she doesn't want (and didn't want then) and probably would refuse to testify at.  You're letting your personal feelings get involved and totally disregarding what the victim wanted back then as well as today.  THAT'S the point I was getting at.  Geez.
He was GOING to be sentenced  but ran when he caught wind that the judge was not going to honor the plea bargain. He was convicted of the crime and never sentenced. Those are facts. As for my personal feelings? That's why I "Asked" after voting my opinion. I think ANY criminal shouldn't get away with a crime just because the victim says they forgive them.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/01/05 at 3:08 pm

He pled guilty because he believed that he would not spend time in jail.  Had he known he was going to spend time in jail, he wouldn't have done so, it would have gone to trial and he could have been found not guilty, to which I'm sure you'd still be ranting that he "got away with it".  If he had been sentenced to more than a year, since he was not a US citizen, chances are he would have been legally exiled and would be sitting exactly where he is right now.  For someone who's been a victim, I would think you'd have a little more compassion for what a victim wants.  And, the ONLY reason I think he should be left alone is because that's what the VICTIM wants.....why victimize her again?
If he'd been found Not Guilty I'd still be ranting?....absolutely, akin to the OJ circus which I still rant about. I believe in prosecuting criminals, that's all. I get the point about her reliving the rape but wouldn't that also end if the case was fianlly resolved by following the LAWS of the land and not letting this guy alone just because it's her wish? If we don't go get him then people will still say he got away with it. Bring him here and do whatever is neccessary to close the case and then everyone will be done with it.

Written By: Brian Damaged on 08/01/05 at 3:33 pm

Why do we care more about famous people than regular people?

Written By: Zella on 08/01/05 at 4:23 pm

I say leave him alone, 'cus he's cute... ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/01/05 at 6:02 pm

Why do we care more about famous people than regular people?
I care about a LOT of people more than the Hollywood elite

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/01/05 at 6:08 pm

So, why even have a trial?  Why not just send anyone who's charged with a crime right to jail?  Either way, some people will never let it drop.The ONLY people who should "be done with it" are those who are directly involved.  She didn't want him to spend time in jail then and she doesn't now.  She thinks he's been punished simply by not being allowed back into the country and the bias he's endured in Hollywood.  If it's good enough for her, why shouldn't it be good enough for you?  Let's say he IS brought back to the US and the original plea is honored and he is now free to walk wherever he wants.  You admitted above that you'll still rant about it so what's the point? ::)
Naw but I wouldsend a "convicted" criminal to prison though. She thinks that? Hey, great, too bad she wasn't a judge instead of a victim, then she could set him free from within the system. She is NOT the law. How was he caught anyway?

Absolutely, he should come back and whatever he gets....I'll be alright with it because at least he respected the legal system and had the guts to face his charge.

Written By: Mushroom on 08/01/05 at 6:12 pm

What I found disturbing is that he ran away after he was ordered to see 2 psychologists, to see if he was a "mentally disordered sex offender".

I see nothing in that to say that the judge was going to "throw the book at him", unless there was something there that he did not want to have discovered.

And in cases where the judge goes very far outside of the agreement in the plea bargain (without extreme circumstances), that is normally thrown out on appeal.  About the only times they stick is when other crimes are discovered between the time the bargain was made and the judge signs off on it.  In fact, many times the person pleads guilty to many other things, and has them all lumped in together.  They do this all the time with Mob officials.  The Mob even has it's own term for it: Queen For A Day.

And he is convicted.  If he ever returns (other then by his own will), he will immediately go back to jail, and have his passport revoked.  He will do any time he has (which will probably be the maximum allowed - that is normal in this case).  Only then will a decision be made as to try him for evading justice.  But I imagine that they would not bother, the 20 or so years he would get for the original crime being enough.

And most of those "international bounty hunters" get people who are living in plain sight, not those hiding who knows where.  It is much easier to capture a ROman Polansky or a Andrew Luster then it is an Osama, where they have no idea where he is (or even if he is still alive).  Remember how hard it was to carch most of the Nazi war criminals?  They did not even find Josef Mengele until well after he was dead.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/01/05 at 8:28 pm

But, even when people are found "not guilty", we STILL have to hear it from you so why not just send them all to jail so noone "gets away with it"?  He was caught because her parents went to the police AGAINST HER WISHES.  Not that I see how that is relevant.  And, how dare you ridicule her feelings about this case.  HER feelings should be the ONLY ones that matter.  How would you feel if people ridiculed YOUR feelings about Blaine's murder? Sure you will.....just like you're "okay" with OJ & Clinton and Ted Kennedy - face it, you cannot let go of anything - even when someone's FOUND "not guilty" in a court of law, you continue to bring up the fact that they "got away with it"  ::) Someone overheard the judge make a comment about "sending him away for 100 years".  Actually, the US government cannot revoke his passport as he's a French citizen and carries a French passport.  If he had been sentenced to over 1 year, he could have been deported. 
Hey, I don't like a lot of things over in the political threads so guess what? I don't go there much anymore. And just because someone is found not guilty doesn't mean they always aren't. Just like some guilty people are actually innocent.I'm not ridiculing anything about her feelings. I'm sticking to facts. He Raped Her.....He was Convicted of Raping her, He fled the country to aviod prison. Oh, and thier was ONE person who did ridcule my feelings about Blaine's murder but I've dismissed her from my thoughts. As for his murder, the guy didn't get the chance to leave the country to avoid conviction. Had he done so you can bet I wouldn't be wanting to have the case dropped. You are SO right, I can't let go of things....as long as criminals get away with crimes, that's how I feel. My ex-wife has not forgotten nor has she forgiven the creeps who raped her. Even though the statute of limitations has run out she is making certain the church they attend knows what they did. She wants them to pay in some way, no matter how small.  BTW, I was happy that Nixon was caught yet appalled that he was pardoned.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/01/05 at 10:13 pm

What a lovely thread.  ;D :o

Umm... I know I am going to get slammed, as I don't know the facts and figures of this case, but I am going to say he's guilty.

That's all. I'm going to run off back to the Playful Penguin Place now.  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/01/05 at 10:15 pm

I say leave him alone, 'cus he's cute... ::)

Polanski is cute?  You have eccentric tastes in men...I like that!
;) :)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/01/05 at 10:18 pm

OK... if the victim forgave him, and she is not at all hurt. I don't think prison should be an option. But I do believe he needs some punishment. Prison should only be an option though if he has done what he did more than once (and I'm not saying he has or hasn't) And it does seem a bit suspicious running off after doing something wrongful like than to another country.

So I'm kind of divided on this issue. I agree with Mark on the "he should be punished" issue, but I don't think it should be that severe, unless he has indeed reoffended.  ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/01/05 at 10:22 pm

What I found disturbing is that he ran away after he was ordered to see 2 psychologists, to see if he was a "mentally disordered sex offender".

I see nothing in that to say that the judge was going to "throw the book at him", unless there was something there that he did not want to have discovered.

And in cases where the judge goes very far outside of the agreement in the plea bargain (without extreme circumstances), that is normally thrown out on appeal.  About the only times they stick is when other crimes are discovered between the time the bargain was made and the judge signs off on it.  In fact, many times the person pleads guilty to many other things, and has them all lumped in together.  They do this all the time with Mob officials.  The Mob even has it's own term for it: Queen For A Day.

And he is convicted.  If he ever returns (other then by his own will), he will immediately go back to jail, and have his passport revoked.  He will do any time he has (which will probably be the maximum allowed - that is normal in this case).  Only then will a decision be made as to try him for evading justice.  But I imagine that they would not bother, the 20 or so years he would get for the original crime being enough.

And most of those "international bounty hunters" get people who are living in plain sight, not those hiding who knows where.  It is much easier to capture a ROman Polansky or a Andrew Luster then it is an Osama, where they have no idea where he is (or even if he is still alive).  Remember how hard it was to carch most of the Nazi war criminals?  They did not even find Josef Mengele until well after he was dead.
I WISH your insightful  posts would garner a reply from the other side of the fence...which I do respect but don't agree with, and that's not a crime....right?? :D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/01/05 at 10:24 pm

Maybe there is hope for disfigured men like me (us?)  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/01/05 at 10:27 pm

I care about a LOT of people more than the Hollywood elite

Jeez, that's too bad.  Otherwise you could get a high-paying gig on tabloid TV!
I still say Polanski  IS NOT Hollywood Elite.

Maybe if the Manson family hadn't killed his pregnant wife, he'd still live in California, and perhaps if he got to settle down and raise a family with Ms. Tate, he wouldn't have committed the crime that keeps him out of America.

You, R&RFan, of all people, should identify with what Polanski suffered when his beloved wife and unborn child were torn from him by murderous psychopaths.  You choose to focus on Polanski's trespass instead of his loss, and that shows me you me be more about retribution than compassion.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/01/05 at 10:47 pm

And in cases where the judge goes very far outside of the agreement in the plea bargain (without extreme circumstances), that is normally thrown out on appeal.  About the only times they stick is when other crimes are discovered between the time the bargain was made and the judge signs off on it.  In fact, many times the person pleads guilty to many other things, and has them all lumped in together.  They do this all the time with Mob officials.  The Mob even has it's own term for it: Queen For A Day.

And he is convicted.  If he ever returns (other then by his own will), he will immediately go back to jail, and have his passport revoked.  He will do any time he has (which will probably be the maximum allowed - that is normal in this case).  Only then will a decision be made as to try him for evading justice.  But I imagine that they would not bother, the 20 or so years he would get for the original crime being enough.

And most of those "international bounty hunters" get people who are living in plain sight, not those hiding who knows where.  It is much easier to capture a ROman Polansky or a Andrew Luster then it is an Osama, where they have no idea where he is (or even if he is still alive).  Remember how hard it was to carch most of the Nazi war criminals?  They did not even find Josef Mengele until well after he was dead.

RnRFan wants to see a reply, so here's a reply:
Polanski did a bad, bad thing drugging and raping that kid.  He showed a cowardly streak by running away.
Is he disturbed?  IMO, he was distrubed to start with, like a lot of creative people.  Watch movies like "Repulsion," "Rosemary's Baby," and "The Tenant" and it's not hard to see.  Then his pregnant wife and his friends were murdered by a gang evil enough to have marched right off the set of one of his own films.  Who knows what was going through the man's mind in the 1970s?  The psychologists may very well have determined he was nuts!
Maybe he pled guilty because his lawyer twisted his arm.  Maybe he really didn't think he did anything wrong.  Maybe he thought the sex was consensual.  Never mind she was thirteen and compromised, if the guy was nuts, maybe he didn't feel any guilt.  He may have just felt the system was persecuting him.
In the end we will have to agree to disagree.

There were several Nazis who escaped justice, but you have to give the Israeili secret service credit for catching a huge number of Nazi refugees in far off places.  The Nuremburg trials convicted I can't remember how many Nazis, and a fair number of those craven Nazi officials killed themselves before they could be brought to justice.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/01/05 at 10:48 pm

Maybe there is hope for disfigured men like me (us?)  :D

I'm not disfigured, just kinda short and funny-looking, like Roman!
;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/01/05 at 10:57 pm

Jeez, that's too bad.  Otherwise you could get a high-paying gig on tabloid TV!
I still say Polanski  IS NOT Hollywood Elite.

Maybe if the Manson family hadn't killed his pregnant wife, he'd still live in California, and perhaps if he got to settle down and raise a family with Ms. Tate, he wouldn't have committed the crime that keeps him out of America.

You, R&RFan, of all people, should identify with what Polanski suffered when his beloved wife and unborn child were torn from him by murderous psychopaths.  You choose to focus on Polanski's trespass instead of his loss, and that shows me you me be more about retribution than compassion.
NO!! So that means if I was to turn around and rape someone it'd be alright...especially if they "Forgave me?"

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/01/05 at 11:01 pm

If they "forgave you" then chances are they wouldn't press charges and ANY prosecutor will tell you it's next to impossible to prove rape without the victim's testimony.  ALL they wanted was for him to plead guilty, which he did.
Ah, I see.

Written By: Mushroom on 08/02/05 at 11:31 am

Don't forget, Charles Manson was an "Artist" himself.  The Beach Boys recorded one of his songs, "Never Learn Not to Love" (It was on their "20-20" album).  Adolf Hitler and John Wayne Gacy also were artists.  The simple facts that they are artists in no way influences my decision to prosecute them in any way, shape, or form.

Written By: Brian Damaged on 08/02/05 at 11:43 am

Everybody agrees that criminals should be punished.  Everything else everybody is talking about seems likie people are really angry about other things.

Written By: Apricot on 08/02/05 at 3:57 pm

Everybody agrees that criminals should be punished.  Everything else everybody is talking about seems likie people are really angry about other things.

Well, it's not so black-and-white as that.. everyone here seems to agree on punishment, but there's much more then that to this debate.

Written By: jiminy on 08/02/05 at 5:46 pm

and thank God for eccentric tastes  ;D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/02/05 at 7:04 pm

RnRFan wants to see a reply, so here's a reply:
Polanski did a bad, bad thing drugging and raping that kid.  He showed a cowardly streak by running away.
Is he disturbed?  IMO, he was distrubed to start with, like a lot of creative people.  Watch movies like "Repulsion," "Rosemary's Baby," and "The Tenant" and it's not hard to see.  Then his pregnant wife and his friends were murdered by a gang evil enough to have marched right off the set of one of his own films.  Who knows what was going through the man's mind in the 1970s?  The psychologists may very well have determined he was nuts!
Maybe he pled guilty because his lawyer twisted his arm.  Maybe he really didn't think he did anything wrong.  Maybe he thought the sex was consensual.  Never mind she was thirteen and compromised, if the guy was nuts, maybe he didn't feel any guilt.  He may have just felt the system was persecuting him.
In the end we will have to agree to disagree.

There were several Nazis who escaped justice, but you have to give the Israeili secret service credit for catching a huge number of Nazi refugees in far off places.  The Nuremburg trials convicted I can't remember how many Nazis, and a fair number of those craven Nazi officials killed themselves before they could be brought to justice.
Rosemary's Baby was one h*ll of a CREEPY movie....the scene that is etched in my mind for all eternity is when they were in the doctor's office...that picture of SATAN on the wall...as well as the pram with the inverted cross...!

Written By: Satish on 08/02/05 at 8:22 pm

I saw his version of Macbeth on video in high school, and I've caught his films Bitter Moon and Death and the Maiden when they came on tv while I was flicking around with the remote, and I've gotta admit, the guy's a great director. I think that any crimes he's committed shouldn't take away from that. Just because a person has great abilities in one area, it doesn't mean he or she can't be deeply flawed in other ways.

At the same time, I certainly don't approve of someone getting away with rape, and don't like them being able to avoid punishment by leaving the country.

I'll continue to enjoy Polanski's films whenever I get a chance to see them, though I certainly won't shed any tears if the authorities find a way to reel him in, either.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/02/05 at 8:29 pm

At the same time, I certainly don't approve of someone getting away with rape, and don't like them being able to avoid punishment by leaving the country.

I'll continue to enjoy Polanski's films whenever I get a chance to see them, though I certainly won't shed any tears if the authorities find a way to reel him in, either.
Thats pretty much what I was thinking.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/02/05 at 11:46 pm

Don't forget, Charles Manson was an "Artist" himself.  The Beach Boys recorded one of his songs, "Never Learn Not to Love" (It was on their "20-20" album).  Adolf Hitler and John Wayne Gacy also were artists.  The simple facts that they are artists in no way influences my decision to prosecute them in any way, shape, or form.

Irrelevant.

I have heard Manson's records.  Some of his songs are strangely intriguing (as happens sometimes with half-baked folk-rock shoddily rendered). 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/02/05 at 11:53 pm

NO!! So that means if I was to turn around and rape someone it'd be alright...especially if they "Forgave me?"

I didn't say what Polanski did was "alright." 
You are lurching toward silliness.

Jiminy wrote:
and thank God for eccentric tastes 
Amen!

Written By: Roman on 08/03/05 at 1:28 pm

Only three whole people said leave him alone, and theyre probably trolls, so its no big deal.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D >:( >:( >:( >:( :o :o :o :o 8) 8) 8) 8) :o :o :o :o >:( >:( >:( ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Written By: Apricot on 08/03/05 at 2:09 pm

Only three whole people said leave him alone, and theyre probably trolls, so its no big deal.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D >:( >:( >:( >:( :o :o :o :o 8) 8) 8) 8) :o :o :o :o >:( >:( >:( ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

:o  :o  :o  8)  ???  >:(  ;D  ;D  :D  ;)  :D  ;D  :D  ;D  ;D  ;D  >:(  8)  8)  ???  ::)  :P  >:(  ;D  ;D  :-[  :-X  :-*  ;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/03/05 at 2:48 pm

I didn't say what Polanski did was "alright." 
You are lurching toward silliness.

I'm silly to keep commenting ;)

Written By: Brian Damaged on 08/03/05 at 2:53 pm

Well, it's not so black-and-white as that.. everyone here seems to agree on punishment, but there's much more then that to this debate.

Thats what I am saying, it is about other things.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/03/05 at 7:02 pm

THAT'S ME!
http://www.nascr.net/~jcburd/troll.gif

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/03/05 at 8:11 pm

THAT'S ME!
http://www.nascr.net/~jcburd/troll.gif

http://www.geocities.com/mark21566/musicGuitar.gifFor a second there I could've SWORN that was Hillary Clinton ;D ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/03/05 at 8:18 pm

http://www.geocities.com/mark21566/musicGuitar.gifFor a second there I could've SWORN that was Hillary Clinton ;D ;)

Don't quit yer day job, kid!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/03/05 at 9:05 pm

Don't quit yer day job, kid!
;D ;)

Written By: Apricot on 08/04/05 at 1:41 pm

OH MY EYES!!!!  THEY'RE BEING ASSAULTED BY THE SMILIES!!!  PLEASE, MAKE THEM STOP!!!!!

NEVER!  ;D  ;D  ;D  >:(   :(  8)  ;D  ;D  ;D  :D  :D  ;)  ???  ::)  :P  :-[  :-[  :-[  :-X  :-*  :-*  :D  :D  >:(  ;D  8)  ;)  8)  :(

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/05/05 at 7:13 pm

Naah...looks more like George W. Bush.....and he did not approve this message!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/06/05 at 12:17 am

Naah...looks more like George W. Bush.....and he did not approve this message!
;D ;) I still think it looks like the devil Hillary :P

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/06/05 at 9:21 pm

Some woman should throw boiling grits on Polanski's you-know-whats. Yeah, the "Al Green" punishment!

I could just see Polanski now,rolling on the floor,screaming MY NUTS! MY F***ING NUTS! OH GOD STOP THE BURNING!!

Check for new replies or respond here...