inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Has This Summer Been Hot or What?

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/24/05 at 2:38 am

Phoenix is registering over 110 degrees, and that's hot of even them. New York and Boston have multiple days of 90+. And the major rain and lightning display Thursday only increased the humidity of Indy. I knew last year, when we didn't have got above 87, was a fluke.  I still have to mow the lawn tomorrow. It hasn't been touched since I came home from St. Louis. The weather guys are forecasting 96. And I'm afraid I'll hurl when pushing the thing on pretty thick grass (with weeds), even after 6 PM (NOZONE action day).  :( 

Subject: Re: Has This Summer Been Hot or What?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/24/05 at 3:10 am

Hasn't been too warm down here. Must be just the US.  ::)

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/24/05 at 3:13 am

It's even been hot in Canada, of all places. And to them, over 80s is a heat wave. :-\\
Hasn't been too warm down here. Must be just the US.  ::)

Written By: rich1981 on 07/24/05 at 3:19 am

San Diego has reached triple digits this week for the first time I can remember. Fortunately my office at work is air conditioned enough but otherwise it's been insane how hot it's been here.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/05 at 5:08 am

Apart from the day of rain (like today), the summer has been too hot for my liking. As I work in a warehouse, the temperatures soar inside.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/24/05 at 11:43 am

Too ******* hot for me.  Rain all ready **** it!  >:(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/05 at 3:49 pm

Phoenix is registering over 110 degrees, and that's hot of even them. New York and Boston have multiple days of 90+. And the major rain and lightning display Thursday only increased the humidity of Indy. I knew last year, when we didn't have got above 87, was a fluke.  I still have to mow the lawn tomorrow. It hasn't been touched since I came home from St. Louis. The weather guys are forecasting 96. And I'm afraid I'll hurl when pushing the thing on pretty thick grass (with weeds), even after 6 PM (NOZONE action day).  :( 
I lived in the phoenix area for a few years and it was the norm for it to be over 110 from late May through August ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/24/05 at 4:53 pm

No wonder Christi Paul wore such skimpy outfits when she was working there. ;) (I don't know if she wore skimpy outfits, but she did work there before she was hired by CNN.)
I lived in the phoenix area for a few years and it was the norm for it to be over 110 from late May through August ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/05 at 5:01 pm

No wonder Christi Paul wore such skimpy outfits when she was working there. ;) (I don't know if she wore skimpy outfits, but she did work there before she was hired by CNN.)
Just another reason that I love hot weather ;)

Written By: Powerslave on 07/24/05 at 5:06 pm

One could suggest this is the result of global warming, but apparently that's just a myth.

Written By: whitewolf on 07/24/05 at 5:16 pm

It's even been hot in Canada, of all places. And to them, over 80s is a heat wave. :-\\

how come people assume its always cold in canada, we do have a summer,

I don't consider it a heat wave until the humidex factor is pushing the temps into the mid 40s.(celsius)
Most of the summer temps are in the mid to high 30s (celsius) to me those are great beach days.
that from a person in north-eastern canada.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/05 at 5:21 pm

One could suggest this is the result of global warming, but apparently that's just a myth.
I don't know about that. I've livced in Phoenix  and it's always been about the same, as has Colorado.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/24/05 at 5:53 pm

how come people assume its always cold in canada, we do have a summer,

I don't consider it a heat wave until the humidex factor is pushing the temps into the mid 40s.(celsius)
Most of the summer temps are in the mid to high 30s (celsius) to me those are great beach days.
that from a person in north-eastern canada.

People think the same thing here-and we are south of you. I have to tell people that we don't live above the Artic Circle.

Cat

Written By: NullandVoid on 07/24/05 at 6:20 pm

We just started getting some breeze. It has been unusually stifling. It's not even august yet

Written By: Dagwood on 07/24/05 at 6:30 pm

We have been griping about the heat here, but it has been a typical summer.  Living in a desert is hot.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/05 at 8:38 pm

We have been griping about the heat here, but it has been a typical summer.  Living in a desert is hot.
Try living in Arizona, Dagny ;)

Written By: JFK-2004 on 07/24/05 at 8:48 pm

Yeah, it's definitely been hot here in Pennsylvania also.  Today felt like a holiday because it only reached approximately 85 degrees. 

I heard this frightening news report stating that researchers believe that regardless of the phenomenon of global warming, we are entering a new weather phase featuring consistently hotter summers and colder winters, reminiscent of the 40s, 50s, and 60s.  As if global warming wasn't problematic enough. 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/05 at 8:56 pm

Yeah, it's definitely been hot here in Pennsylvania also.  Today felt like a holiday because it only reached approximately 85 degrees. 

I heard this frightening news report stating that researchers believe that regardless of the phenomenon of global warming, we are entering a new weather phase featuring consistently hotter summers and colder winters, reminiscent of the 40s, 50s, and 60s.  As if global warming wasn't problematic enough. 
And you guys have that awful high humidity to deal with :-\\

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/24/05 at 10:37 pm

I know this is slightly off topic, but this years winter over here has been the driest (as well as one of the warmest) in years.  :o

God only knows what summer has in store for us (another drought, 40C+ temperatures...  :-X)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/05 at 10:42 pm

I know this is slightly off topic, but this years winter over here has been the driest (as well as one of the warmest) in years.  :o

God only knows what summer has in store for us (another drought, 40C+ temperatures...  :-X)

C'mon! Where's the common courtesy of giving us Fahrenheit as well....here's a link: http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm  ;)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/24/05 at 10:46 pm

C'mon! Where's the common courtesy of giving us Fahrenheit as well....here's a link: http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm  ;)

Darnit! I usually put it in (so cut me some slack)  ;) ;D 30C = around 95F (So basically I was referring to 95-110F temperatures) 

Happy now? ;)  ;D

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/24/05 at 10:50 pm

Yo!

The Heat Index... At Lambert International (remember this is the heat index) was 122 Degrees F today.

Yes, that's not a typo.

The actual temperature reached 104 degrees. Remember, this is St Louis; Missouri. Not the desert.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/05 at 10:58 pm

Yo!

The Heat Index... At Lambert International (remember this is the heat index) was 122 Degrees F today.

Yes, that's not a typo.

The actual temperature reached 104 degrees. Remember, this is St Louis; Missouri. Not the desert.
True enough, I'd rather be in 120 degree heat with 11% humidity than a place where it's as low as 90 with 90% humidity ;)

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/24/05 at 11:58 pm

True enough, I'd rather be in 120 degree heat with 11% humidity than a place where it's as low as 90 with 90% humidity ;)

EXACTLY!

In Greece you get sudden changes like that. 100 Degrees with 10% humidity and an ocean breeze, the n 100 Degrees with 95% Humidity  :-\\

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/25/05 at 9:12 am

Like I said before, it's the humidity. Plus we had a couple of strong thunderstorms that helped the lawn.
We should have another one tomorrow, then the temps should drop to 75 degrees Wednesday according to weather.com. 8)

Your grass is actually growing? :o  Or are you just mowing weeds? ;D  Ours is a nasty shade of yellowy-brown and hasn't been mowed since mid June.

Written By: Howard on 07/25/05 at 5:35 pm

Here in New York,It's been pretty hot and humid but so far,hasn't reached 100 but it has been in the upper 80's to the lower 90's with high humidity. :P

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/25/05 at 7:40 pm

Of course, I typed that earlier today....it's been raining off and on since then ;D
It's raining here as well....finally :D

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/25/05 at 8:14 pm

I went to a water park today and the heat index recorded about 118.

The high tomorrow.. 75  ;D

Written By: EthanM on 07/25/05 at 9:48 pm

It's supposed to be in the 90s and humid in New York tomorrow... which is about 35 degrees celsius. 30 celsius is around 85 fahrenheit - the human body temperature is 37C (98.6F)

Written By: Howard on 07/26/05 at 6:12 pm

The high tomorrow in New York 96.It will feel like 115 :o

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/26/05 at 6:14 pm

Oh bloody hell.  :o It's 20C (68F) in the middle of winter?!  :o :-X

Very warm for winter.

Written By: Howard on 07/26/05 at 6:16 pm

Oh bloody hell.  :o It's 20C (68F) in the middle of winter?!  :o :-X

Very warm for winter.

68 Degrees? You must be joking. ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/26/05 at 6:23 pm

68 Degrees? You must be joking. ;D
68 degrees in summer is cold. But in winter it's very warm.  :-X ;D

I've never sweated this much at this time of year. And I've brought out the summer t-shirt and shorts combo .  :o

I'm convinced Global Warming exists.

Written By: Howard on 07/27/05 at 6:26 pm

It was 97 degrees but with Thunderstorms approaching,temperatures this weekend should be in the low 80's,nice and comfortable. :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/27/05 at 9:48 pm

I saw the midwest was getting roasted, so I can see why Indy Gent started this thread.  Pretty d*mn hot in NYC, too.  People have been bellyaching about the heat up here in W.Mass.  It's been hot here, definitely hotter than the last two summers, but nothing to get in a twist over.  The hottest summers I can recall are 1988 and 1995.

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/27/05 at 11:46 pm

I saw the midwest was getting roasted.

Not anymore my friend, we were one degree away from the coldest every July 27th in Missouri History today.

Written By: Howard on 07/28/05 at 3:02 pm

It's been pretty hot and humid.The Summer's already started so we have another 9 weeks till the first day of Fall.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/28/05 at 3:06 pm

Our summer has just turned into autumn, it is cold!

Written By: Howard on 07/28/05 at 3:07 pm

Our summer has just turned into autumn, it is cold!

How cold is it where you live Phil?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/28/05 at 3:16 pm

How cold is it where you live Phil?
The temperature has been 28°C but has dropped down to 21°C.

Written By: Paul on 07/28/05 at 3:23 pm

Yesterday in parts of Britain was the coldest July day since 1980...

I think the tops was 16C, which is about 7C down on what it should be...

Still remaining unsettled for the first week or so of August, but milder...

Best slice should be the second and third week...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/28/05 at 7:45 pm

Thank God the cold front with all the rain and thunderstorms came thru my area...it was in the upper 90's with the heat index around 110 due to the humidity..Today was much nicer...cooler. 8)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/28/05 at 8:02 pm

I'll make sure to bump this thread in 6 months from now.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 07/29/05 at 3:21 pm

Hopefully,It'll stay cool and dry until the next heatwave by August from what I saw on TV.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/30/05 at 4:10 am

A ready reckoner for those who havent memorised conversions ;)

Celsius    Fahrenheit

0°        32°

5°        41°

10°      50°

15°      59°

20°      68°

25°      77°

30°      86°

35°      95°

40°      104°

45°      113°

50°      122°

I have to say - that while the northern hemisphere is having a dry hot summer - down here we are having a dry mild winter.

June was a traditional style winter - loads of rain and really cold temps - days under 15c.  But this month has been sunny days of 21c and only a couple of rainy days. 

We have been on water restrictions for a decade now and I dont see that changing - our dams are all below 23% full and are just not rising.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/30/05 at 4:35 am

A ready reckoner for those who havent memorised conversions ;)

Celsius    Fahrenheit

0°         32°

5°         41°

10°       50°

15°       59°

20°       68°

25°       77°

30°       86°

35°       95°

40°      104°

45°      113°

50°      122°

I have to say - that while the northern hemisphere is having a dry hot summer - down here we are having a dry mild winter.

June was a traditional style winter - loads of rain and really cold temps - days under 15c.  But this month has been sunny days of 21c and only a couple of rainy days. 

We have been on water restrictions for a decade now and I dont see that changing - our dams are all below 23% full and are just not rising.

Or:

To convert Fahrenheit to Celsius, subtract 32 degrees and divide by 1.8. To convert Celsius to Fahrenheit, multiply by 1.8 and add 32 degrees.

Written By: Howard on 07/30/05 at 1:16 pm

Just wait till August in NYC when temperatures will get around 100 and the summer is halfway over. :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/30/05 at 3:07 pm

Just wait till August in NYC when temperatures will get around 100 and the summer is halfway over. :o
Using the formula subtract 32 degrees and divide by 1.8. 100° Fahrenheit will be:

100 - 32 = 78

68 ÷ 1.8 = 37.78.

Therefore 100° Fahrenheit will be approximately 38° Celsius.   

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/31/05 at 9:30 pm

OR you can simply go to this link!

http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm

Written By: rich1981 on 07/31/05 at 10:07 pm

Or rainy.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/31/05 at 10:08 pm

No kidding, then we'll all be b!tching that it's too cold ;D ;D ;D
I will always complain about the cold but not about the heat....luckily I live in a low humidity climate. I've always had more trouble getting warm in the winter but for me it's always easy to cool off in the summer :)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/31/05 at 10:47 pm

Has this winter been warmer than usual or what?  :o

June was a very average winter month, with cold temperatures just above 0C/32F for most days.

July was alot warmer than June with average temperatures hovering around the 15-20C (60-70F) mark... way above the norm for this time of year (more like spring temperatures) and it has been very dry, with well below average rainfall this winter than in previous winters. We are on the verge of a drought in the middle of winter... that's how much rain we've had.  :o

And August is looking to be very much the same as July... only time will tell.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/31/05 at 11:27 pm

Heres the press release: (parts of it, I cut out the boring stuff)

Climate Summary for July 2005

Temperature: Third warmest July on record
Rainfall: Below average in Canterbury
Sunshine: Well above average in Canterbury
The highest temperature during July 2005 was 22.0°C (70F)

Has this winter been warmer than usual or what? :o

June was a very average winter month, with cold temperatures just above 0C/32F for most days.

July was alot warmer than June with average temperatures hovering around the 15-20C (60-70F) mark... way above the norm for this time of year (more like spring temperatures) and it has been very dry, with well below average rainfall this winter than in previous winters. We are on the verge of a drought in the middle of winter... that's how much rain we've had. :o

And August is looking to be very much the same as July... only time will tell.

Written By: Howard on 08/01/05 at 6:15 pm

It's either way too hot or way too cold.There's just no in-between anymore. ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...