inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Green Day Fail To Impress

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/24/05 at 7:31 am

Green Day Fails to Impress Punk Icon

Rock superstars Green Day were left red-faced after meeting their hero, The Buzzcocks guitarist Steve Diggle - but he had no idea who they were.

The stars, who are hailed by their fans as modern punks, were desperate to meet Diggle - whose band is considered one of the world's most influential punk outfits alongside The Sex Pistols and The Clash.

But unfortunately Diggle didn't share the same level of admiration for them.

He says, "I didn't have a clue who they were. And they're not punks."

http://www.wtue.com/script/headline_newsmanager.php?id=415480&pagecontent=musicnewsrockmain&feed_id=22

---

The truth hurts, doesn't it?  ::)

Subject: Re: Green Day Fail To Impress

Written By: limblifter on 07/24/05 at 10:22 am

Who cares if he didn't know who they were? The millions of Green Day fans sure don't care what Diggle thinks. What really makes me laugh is that in an article meant to slam Green Day for not being "real" punk ::), they mention The Clash. Ummm, would someone please explain to me what makes The Clash punk and not Green Day.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/24/05 at 11:40 am

I still think Green Day is alot better than Good Charlotte.  http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/puke.gif

Written By: Miss Tainted on 07/24/05 at 1:35 pm

lmbo that's pretty sad....  ;D

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/24/05 at 2:41 pm

Green Day never impressed me. That man's voice is just foul...

However, I do agree with Jaimie--to me, there's nothing worse than Good Charlotte.

Beth

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/05 at 3:02 pm

I think Green Day sucks anyway ;)

Written By: NullandVoid on 07/24/05 at 4:26 pm

Aww That's brutal. Green Day shouldn't care though, they still have millions of fans(including me) who love them.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/05 at 4:38 pm

Aww That's brutal. Green Day shouldn't care though, they still have millions of fans(including me) who love them.
Hey, not everyone agrees on everything but I certainly respect yours and others opinions :)

Written By: Powerslave on 07/24/05 at 4:44 pm

I'm sure more people know Pete Shelley as the "Homo Sapien" guy than as the singer for the Buzzcocks, and most wouldn't have a clue who Steve Diggle is.

Written By: NullandVoid on 07/24/05 at 6:37 pm

Hey, not everyone agrees on everything but I certainly respect yours and others opinions :)

Thank you and I'd do the same for you :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/05 at 8:36 pm

Thank you and I'd do the same for you :)
And for that...may I give you a hug?  http://www.geocities.com/klaatu_77/hug.gif

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/24/05 at 10:40 pm

I got nothing against Green Day, I like a few of there songs (mostly pre-1994) but I found this to be quite funny.  ::)

And I'd never consider them punks... even in their earlier days.  :P - Probably more Alternative Rock (gearing more towards mainstream rock after 'Dookie')

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/25/05 at 6:59 pm

I got nothing against Green Day, I like a few of there songs (mostly pre-1994) but I found this to be quite funny. ::)

And I'd never consider them punks... even in their earlier days. :P - Probably more Alternative Rock (gearing more towards mainstream rock after 'Dookie')

I think the bottom paragraph is a VERY ACCURATE description of their sound. They weren't Nirvana-like or grunge, but maybe a more uptempo, happier/faster version of the same inspired sound?

Anyway, maybe I've got split personalities but I like BOTH bands mentioned. Overall I'm more of a mainstream pop/rock fan (especially of 80s music) but I like a bit of punk too, especially old-school. I can thank one of my high school friends for this - he's a year younger than me and liked a mix of 70's and modern punk, but more the hard edged stuff.

It was through this guy that I learned of the Buzzcocks. Their songs were often as funny and entertaining as their band name would imply. ;D

I mean really, when you listen to a song like "Org**m Addict" it's like, this could've come out in 1977 or it could've come out....yesterday. So there's a real timelessness to it in a good way.

In short, I'm a fairweather Green Day fan - I most like the Dookie and Warning albums. I know they're not technically very new, but I think they're one of the better "modern" rockers out there.

To anyone who says they're 5 million times better than Good Charlotte etc, I couldn't agree more! :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/25/05 at 10:14 pm

I think the bottom paragraph is a VERY ACCURATE description of their sound. They weren't Nirvana-like or grunge, but maybe a more uptempo, happier/faster version of the same inspired sound?

Anyway, maybe I've got split personalities but I like BOTH bands mentioned. Overall I'm more of a mainstream pop/rock fan (especially of 80s music) but I like a bit of punk too, especially old-school. I can thank one of my high school friends for this - he's a year younger than me and liked a mix of 70's and modern punk, but more the hard edged stuff.

It was through this guy that I learned of the Buzzcocks. Their songs were often as funny and entertaining as their band name would imply. ;D

I mean really, when you listen to a song like "Org**m Addict" it's like, this could've come out in 1977 or it could've come out....yesterday. So there's a real timelessness to it in a good way.

In short, I'm a fairweather Green Day fan - I most like the Dookie and Warning albums. I know they're not technically very new, but I think they're one of the better "modern" rockers out there.

To anyone who says they're 5 million times better than Good Charlotte etc, I couldn't agree more! :)

I agree, I that Green Day is 10 million times better than Good Charlotte.    ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...