inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Stores you can do without

Written By: Dan78 on 07/25/05 at 2:47 pm

Which stores do you absolutely hate, and could do without and why?

Subject: Re: Stores you can do without

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/25/05 at 3:12 pm

Being in the UK, I only know one and that is Blockbusters

Written By: Marian on 07/25/05 at 3:12 pm

I would vote for Cigarettes cheaper,cause i don't need to go there.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/25/05 at 4:12 pm

I vote for K-Mart. We have one near our house but it hardly has any business...only old people shop there. I also vote for WalMart...there are too many around here, I mean, how many Walmarts do we need??

Erin :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/25/05 at 4:34 pm

I vote for K-Mart. We have one near our house but it hardly has any business...only old people shop there. I also vote for WalMart...there are too many around here, I mean, how many Walmarts do we need??

I'll trade with ya if I could, LOL - there's only 2 around here that I know of (and both aren't that close to where I am!).

Anyway, I'll have to agree on KMart - they're usually higher-priced and not as good of a selection as, say Target and WalMart (I think they'll eventually be put out of business because of that).

I used to shop at Sam Goody and its sister store Musicland (mall music/video shops), so in a way I have a certain sentimental attachment to them. Yet I'm still tempted to put them on the list for the same reasons as KMart.

PS: I work at Blockbuster, so I hope no one votes for them! ;) :( ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/25/05 at 4:35 pm

I work at Blockbuster, so I hope no one votes for them! ;) :( ;D
I did not vote for Blockbuster, for I know that store provides a good service.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/25/05 at 4:39 pm

I'll trade with ya if I could, LOL - there's only 2 around here that I know of (and both aren't that close to where I am!).

Anyway, I'll have to agree on KMart - they're usually higher-priced and not as good of a selection as, say Target and WalMart (I think they'll eventually be put out of business because of that).

I used to shop at Sam Goody and its sister store Musicland (mall music/video shops), so in a way I have a certain sentimental attachment to them. Yet I'm still tempted to put them on the list for the same reasons as KMart.

PS: I work at Blockbuster, so I hope no one votes for them! ;) :( ;D

Well, no offense, but I don't like Blockbuster....they are too expensive, compared to other video rental stores around here. I much prefer Family Video...they are A LOT cheaper.

Written By: Dan78 on 07/25/05 at 4:42 pm

I hate KMART! Hate it! Hate it! Hate it! I've have had the worst luck there. I think I've wasted more money there, and have had to return more things back to KMART than any other store I've been to. I once got a pair of gloves for winter there, and the next day, I took them off and one of them ripped. Got a pair of swim goggles not too long ago and the straps were hard to adjust. I got socks there once, and they ripped too. Years ago I got a stereo plug adapter at KMART so I can plug my headphones into my CD Changer. I pluged it in to the CD changer and it damaged the headphone jack on this $400 CD changer. I've had more people there goof up on orders and forgetting to put everything in the bags, so I have to make a extra trip back to KMART to pick it up. I was rrrrrrrrreally hoping that they would go completely out of business.

I hate Walgreens cause I think that the people are mean and nasty, and things are overpriced including perscriptions.
Staples, same thing, and I was turned down from trying to get a job there.

I started this poll cause I was bored, and thought it would be interesting to see what people vote for here.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/25/05 at 4:43 pm

Well, no offense, but I don't like Blockbuster....they are too expensive, compared to other video rental stores around here. I much prefer Family Video...they are A LOT cheaper.

LOL, fair enough - I'm sure you mean the stores themselves, not the employees. :)

Seriously for the record, if I didn't work there, I'd never rent almost at all (I like to buy movies instead - plus, renting IS expensive), so I see where you're coming from. ;)

Written By: Howard on 07/25/05 at 5:29 pm

If I had to choose,I'd say get rid of either CVS, Walgreens, Genovese OR Duane Reade because all you need is 1 drug store not 4 or 5 of them.They're basically the same thing wherever you go. ::)

Written By: Dagwood on 07/25/05 at 6:12 pm

I didn't vote because I'll shop anywhere ;D ;D ;D

Same here. ;D

Written By: nally on 07/25/05 at 6:18 pm

I would vote for Cigarettes cheaper,cause i don't need to go there.

Same here. I also would vote for Wal-Mart.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/25/05 at 6:18 pm

The Gap 

Written By: gemini61 on 07/25/05 at 6:37 pm

I can't stand KMart. Everytime I go in there, I come out empty handed. It's the closest store to my house, so I keep going in there, but can never find anything I want. I also picked Dillards because they have a crappy return policy.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/25/05 at 7:43 pm

The place that treats thier employees like garbage...Wal-Mart

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/25/05 at 7:46 pm

that's for SURE, Mark. We have a lady friend that works there....she HATES it, but she needs money to help support her family.  They show those BS commercials on TV....about how great it is to work for them, like they are some sort of "family" or something....YA RIGHT!  They actually called her into the office once because they said that she had an "unexcused absence"...she said, "no, I brought in a doctor's excuse"...and they said, "no, sorry..that does NOT count as an excused absence"...the only things they deem as an excused absence is a death in the family, or if someone is in the armed services....THATS IT!  That place SUCKS so bad...I try not to go there as much as possible...I hate giving them business.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/25/05 at 8:18 pm

that's for SURE, Mark. We have a lady friend that works there....she HATES it, but she needs money to help support her family. They show those BS commercials on TV....about how great it is to work for them, like they are some sort of "family" or something....YA RIGHT! They actually called her into the office once because they said that she had an "unexcused absence"...she said, "no, I brought in a doctor's excuse"...and they said, "no, sorry..that does NOT count as an excused absence"...the only things they deem as an excused absence is a death in the family, or if someone is in the armed services....THATS IT! That place SUCKS so bad...I try not to go there as much as possible...I hate giving them business.

Same here...my friend Tiffany looks happy but she hates it there as well...

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/25/05 at 9:23 pm

Same here...my friend Tiffany looks happy but she hates it there as well...

That's the most forced smile in the world mate  ;D

Silent cry for help.. ARRGGHH FIND ME A NEW JOB  ;D

My mom was a 'Valued Wal-Mart associate' for a couple years. She worked in the main offices of ASDA (a U.K Wally World subsiduary) she eventually left because she was tired of all the complains. It's the voices from on high, i feel sorry for the poor sods in the stores as well, but i go there because they offer relativley reasonable products at decent prices. I always try and be friendly towards the staff members, but i'm not boycotting a store just because they treat there employees crappy. I'd rather save money than take a stand, me not buying anything from there dosen't help the employees whatsoever.

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/25/05 at 9:45 pm

Sure it does.....it helps them out of a job ::)

Well yeah, that's true. If they didn't want the job, then they would quit, simple as that. If wal-mart is so bad, go to McDonalds. It's not that i don't have any sympathy for them, but why should i inconvenience myself?

I guess 'cus it's the Christian thing to do  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/25/05 at 10:17 pm

That's the most forced smile in the world mate  ;D

Silent cry for help.. ARRGGHH FIND ME A NEW JOB  ;D

My mom was a 'Valued Wal-Mart associate' for a couple years. She worked in the main offices of ASDA (a U.K Wally World subsiduary) she eventually left because she was tired of all the complains. It's the voices from on high, i feel sorry for the poor sods in the stores as well, but i go there because they offer relativley reasonable products at decent prices. I always try and be friendly towards the staff members, but i'm not boycotting a store just because they treat there employees crappy. I'd rather save money than take a stand, me not buying anything from there dosen't help the employees whatsoever.
You wouldn't believce what I had to promise her to GET that smile!!

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/25/05 at 10:18 pm

You wouldn't believce what I had to promise her to GET that smile!!

You cunning fox you.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/25/05 at 10:21 pm

You cunning fox you.
I'm not a fox :D

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/25/05 at 10:31 pm

I voted for K-Mart. That store is so unnecessary. However, I equally hate Wal*mart.

Beth

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/25/05 at 10:47 pm

And we all know how religious you are ::) ;)

I'm sure i have No idea what in the world your talking about ::)

Written By: Skippy on 07/25/05 at 11:05 pm

I hate any store that exploits people with cheap, junky crap made by severely underpaid workers, and is against private enterprise. I will gladly pay more at the corner market were customer service and quality merchandise is the norm instead of the exception.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/05 at 1:42 am

From the list:

Wal-Mart
Blockbuster
Pier-1

Others
Abercrombie & Fitch
Bed & Bath

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/05 at 1:52 am

If I had to choose,I'd say get rid of either CVS, Walgreens, Genovese OR Duane Reade because all you need is 1 drug store not 4 or 5 of them.They're basically the same thing wherever you go. ::)

CVS is saturating the market around here.  I get my prescriptions at CVS.  I'm don't boycott big box stores out of political protest.  I boycott the ones that BLOW, like Wal-Mart.  Heck, I don't even really boycott Wal-Mart 'coz they have huge spools of CD-Rs for wicked cheap.

The nearby K-Mart went out of business, replaced by Target.  I bought a $20.00 pair of khakis at Target, they started falling apart within a week.  Serves me right for impulse-buying cheap-o off-brands.  On the other hand, I spent $60.00 at Target the other day replenishing my supply of drawers, socks, and t-shirts.  Not bad for the amount I got.  They don't say Hanes 'tll I say they say Hanes!
:P

Truth be told, I didn't even know Sam Goody's still existed.  Whither Coconuts?

Written By: woops on 07/26/05 at 2:53 am

Hey, Wal Mart has the best public domain DVDs, "Cartoon Craze"...which features Looney Tunes  and rarities that hardly shown on tv anymore  :D BTW, the only reason I visit and the Wal Mart.

I can do without Abercrombie & Fitch, those fancy/expensive clothe stores with overpriced stuff, and a few I can't think of at this moment

Written By: jiminy on 07/26/05 at 8:41 am

You wouldn't believe what I had to promise her to GET that smile!!

correct me if i missed your post but there is a certain food shop that i expected you to name ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/26/05 at 10:35 am

correct me if i missed your post but there is a certain food shop that i expected you to name ;)
Actually, the less I think/hear/talk about that horrible place, the better. But I can let you know that this http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/321.gif    is what I think of them!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/26/05 at 12:03 pm

A lot of these stores we don't have around here-but I have heard of them because of my many travels. However, the ones that I chose were:

WALMART-definately #1.
Blockbuster

Other:
Sam's Club (which I guess can fall under Walmart)
Payless Shoes-I have NEVER found anything that I liked in there.
Rex Electrontics.

Cat

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/26/05 at 12:05 pm

Cat

Yeah, I can't stand Payless Shoes. Another one is Fashion Bug....stupid store.

Beth

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/26/05 at 12:08 pm

You forgot Hot Topic!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/26/05 at 12:12 pm

Years ago I used to work for Sam Goody.  The music selection was pretty good, but I always thought they were rather pricey (of course not for me since I got my discount...lol)... :D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/26/05 at 12:13 pm

Cat

I only go there to buy cheap shoes for my kids, since they outgrow them so quickly!

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/26/05 at 12:14 pm

You forgot Hot Topic!

Ohhh yeah. I did, didn't I? Yes, there is absolutely no purpose for Hot Topic.

Beth

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/26/05 at 12:15 pm

Ohhh yeah. I did, didn't I? Yes, there is absolutely no purpose for Hot Topic.

Except to let smiley happy people dress like they're Dark!

Leave it to the pro's people!

Written By: lorac614 on 07/26/05 at 12:19 pm

I'd have to say K-mart.

The store/merchandise is OK but the cashiers are always forgetting to put my stuff in a bag, and I don't find out until I get home.  This has happened a few times and once I called the store to talk to the manager about it.  I was told it was my responsiblity to make sure I got everything I paid for,  that made me so mad.  I asked if I had to go through every bag before I left the store and he said that would be the best thing to do!  Gimme a break, I'm sure the people in line behind me would just love for me to stand there and go thru each and every bag.  I mean if I was the one putting the merchandise in the bag and I forgot something, fine, my fault...my loss.  Basically the manager said that many people try to get free merchandise by doing this.  I told him if I were going to steal anything thing from his store it wouldn't be a lousy bottle of bubble bath.

I know it's probably petty, but K-mart lost a decent customer over a $2.89 bottle of bubble bath.  I haven't been back inside the store for about 3 years.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/26/05 at 12:23 pm

Beth

What I don't like about Fashion Bug is that they are so darn expensive. But, I did find a cute little dress (actually it was the one I was wearing in the last pic I posted in the PPP) for only $5.  :o ;D  I love when I find a bargin like that.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/26/05 at 6:06 pm

Coconuts,FYE and Sam Goody cause all you need is just 1 freakin' music store,not 10 million of them. ::)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/26/05 at 8:17 pm

I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for".  I'd rather spend a little more $$ to get something that will last than less $$ on something that's going to fall apart in a short time.

Yeah, that makes sense. I mean, in the long run it'll end up being less money, because you don't have to buy as often.

Then again, I buy alot of my clothes at Goodwill (but someone paid good $$ for them at one time) ;D ;D

As do I. I love that store!!

-Beth

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/05 at 8:39 pm

Then your bill comes to $0.00.  Can't pay any less than that!
;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/26/05 at 8:39 pm

Overpriced clothes stores (I'm not paying $200 for a pair of jeans that cost the company $0.05 to make using cheap labour  :P)
Department stores (K-Mart, The Warehouse (our version of Wal-Mart) and the like)
subway, mcdonalds, kfc and any other fast food joint claiming to be "pioneers in healthy food" ...yeah right!  ::)
Second hand shops that sell socks and underwear.  :P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/26/05 at 8:39 pm

I haven't been in either of them in years.  The last shirt I bought at FB shrunk the first time I washed it (even though I washed it in cold and hung it to dry-just as the washing instructions said) and the last shoes I got for the boys at Payless fell apart in less than a month.

I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for".  I'd rather spend a little more $$ to get something that will last than less $$ on something that's going to fall apart in a short time.

Then again, I buy alot of my clothes at Goodwill (but someone paid good $$ for them at one time) ;D ;D

I LOVE Goodwill! I buy so many of Vaughn's clothes there...and he ALWAYS wears namebrands..you would think that I spend a million bucks on him...but I SO don't!

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/26/05 at 8:40 pm

Glad I'm not alone there - that's exactly how I feel. ;)

When I first started shopping there on a regular basis a few years ago, one of my buddies joked with me that it was like "a dumpster with a sales clerk" - of course I paid him no mind! ;D

You can find some of the best stuff there - much of it IS in good condition. I started just buying electronics (eg: 80's VCR's and boomboxes - many far better than what's available today) and albums/movies. However I've also expanded to clothes and furniture and haven't looked back since!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/26/05 at 8:42 pm

I buy a good 50-60% of clothes at goodwill and second hand shops

And for older CD's and LP's, furniture, electronics etc... goodwill & second hand is a good way to go.  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/05 at 8:50 pm

Coconuts,FYE and Sam Goody cause all you need is just 1 freakin' music store,not 10 million of them. ::)

Well, yeah, when they all sell the same sh*t!  With all the competition from the online shops, I'm surprised these second rate chain stores stay in business.
We have a local chain, Newbury Comics, which has a somewhat hipper variety than your average chain record store.  However, they only cater to the alternative rock and electronica demographic.  Their jazz, classical, blues, and folk sections are a joke!
The only record store in Amherst that has a respectible selection of classical CDs is a mom & pop called "For The Record."  They also have a good jazz selection.  My favorite record store in Amherst is Mystery Train.  It's primarily used, but they sell a whole lot of funky off-beat stuff on commission.  Plus the guy who runs it REALLY knows his music.  
You have to go to a big store in a major cultural center (ie Cambridge, Greenwich Village) to find the kinds of music I like, and even then the selection is miserable compared to what you can find online.  It's like the "Classical" room in tower records.  They've got a huuuuge room full of music from Gregorian chants to Schoenberg.  Then they've got one rack in the back designated for "Contemporary," and half of that is taken up by John Cage and Philip Glass!
;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/26/05 at 9:22 pm

Same here.  I finally got hubby to go in and look around once and now he's hooked.  My best deal there was a pair of $183 (no, that's not a typo) dress pants for $5.38 (never worn....still had the manufacturer's tags on them) :o

wow! that is one awesome buy!  I have found numerous pairs of Doc Marten shoes, a nearly brand new pair of converse chuck taylors for Vaughn....and TONS of other great things!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/26/05 at 9:25 pm

My SILs are there at least once a week and they've found Longaberger, Pampered Chef, PartyLite, Yankee Candles & Coach purses there :o

yes, it's crazy what people just GIVE away...but I am glad that they do!

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/26/05 at 9:27 pm

wow! that is one awesome buy!  I have found numerous pairs of Doc Marten shoes, a nearly brand new pair of converse chuck taylors for Vaughn....and TONS of other great things!

I got my steel toe cap Boots from a similar kind of shop.. for 50 Pence. That's about 28 Cents  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/26/05 at 9:28 pm

I got my steel toe cap Boots from a similar kind of shop.. for 50 Pence. That's about 28 Cents  ;D

geez...you can't beat that!

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/26/05 at 9:31 pm

geez...you can't beat that!

Well.. i suppose they could be stylish  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/26/05 at 9:36 pm

what size shoe do you wear? they look huge! LOL!

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/26/05 at 9:47 pm

what size shoe do you wear? they look huge! LOL!

13-14.

Yes, it's true.

I have huge.. socks.

Written By: jiminy on 07/26/05 at 9:51 pm

you look wasted  ;D

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/26/05 at 9:54 pm

you look wasted  ;D

I wish!

I'm still be super carefull because i have to have tests done when i get my Health Insurance sorted.

Written By: jiminy on 07/26/05 at 9:55 pm

I wish!

I'm still be super carefull because i have to have tests done when i get my Health Insurance sorted.

want me to pisss in a bottle for ya?   ;D

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/26/05 at 9:57 pm

want me to pisss in a bottle for ya?   ;D

;D ;D ;D I'll trade some boots  ;D

Written By: jiminy on 07/26/05 at 10:04 pm

;D ;D ;D I'll trade some boots  ;D

remember that episode of beavis and butthead when they were both in the hospital and used urinals in bed?
beavis says... I took a dump in mine
  ;D

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/26/05 at 10:05 pm

remember that episode of beavis and butthead when they were both in the hospital and used urinals in bed?
beavis says... I took a dump in mine
  ;D

Can't say i've seen that one.. but you know..it dosen't shock me

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/27/05 at 11:00 am

I used to volunteer at our annual clothing drive (I don't anymore for personal reasons). I would give a bag or two and come home with a bag or two A DAY!  :o  Used to find a lot of great stuff and it was all free. Some of the stuff still had price tags on them. Now, I am trying to weed out a lot of the clothes that brought home from clothing drives past.

Cat

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/27/05 at 5:11 pm

The big drugstore chains are putting the small community drugstore out of business....I use a small community drugstore,Parkway Pharmacy,in Atlantic City NJ...

Many big-time 'chain' drugstores don't even have DELIVERY anymore....which is a hassle for senior citizens who cannot get out much.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/27/05 at 5:17 pm

Why no LOWES on the list...they sponsor a certain NASCAR driver I detest....

Seriously, K-Mart stinks as far as computer supplies and electronics...

I LOVE Target....decent prices for my printer cartridges and blank CD's...as well as cool T-shirts and offbeat stuff..

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/27/05 at 5:22 pm

I LOVE Goodwill! I buy so many of Vaughn's clothes there...and he ALWAYS wears namebrands..you would think that I spend a million bucks on him...but I SO don't!

If you are a LARGE-SIZE gal like me....forget Goodwill,at least in my area, for clothes...

But you can find cheap decorations for an apartment there...and sometimes collectibles.

Written By: Howard on 07/27/05 at 6:12 pm

Subways & Blimpies.In My opinion,I'd keep Subways cause the bread is more fresher and the vegetables are delicious.

Written By: Dan78 on 07/27/05 at 7:50 pm

Ok, it's interesting to see how this poll  is turning out. I didn't put Lowe's down cause I have never been to one before. Sorry to hear that they sponsor a NASCAR driver that one detests. I live in a rural city in the southwest of the United States. We don't have a Lowe's here yet. We only have The Home Depot.

For the other people, I'm curious as to why 3 people voted Pier 1 Imports, only thing I can think of is that they are too expensive. I can remember way back in the days where Cost Plus which I should have mentioned, was dirt cheap! That was like in the late 80's to mid 90's.  I guess that Blockbuster has high counts too. I was never fond of video rental stores all together. Any one here give a positive award to Netflix Online? I've always hated "The Buclke" cause they charge $75 dollars for a $3 pair of pants you can get at the goodwill in better condition!

Written By: Harmonica on 07/27/05 at 8:13 pm

Had to vote for Best Buy.  Got screwed royally one time by them.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/27/05 at 8:41 pm

For the other people, I'm curious as to why 3 people voted Pier 1 Imports, only thing I can think of is that they are too expensive.

I voted Pier 1.  Mostly because of the cost but also because I can't stand their stuff.  Plus the commercials really got on my nerves.  They became trendy, and I run the other way from trends.  I like to be unique by being unique not being like everyone else.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/27/05 at 9:32 pm

Subways & Blimpies.In My opinion,I'd keep Subways cause the bread is more fresher and the vegetables are delicious.

Bleccch!  I asked for an Italian sub at Subway, got a baloney sandwich on a giant hot dog roll.  I won't even touch a Blimpie's!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/27/05 at 9:51 pm

Bleccch!  I asked for an Italian sub at Subway, got a baloney sandwich on a giant hot dog roll.  I won't even touch a Blimpie's!
Quizno's is good...as for that place where Blaine was murdered....http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/321.gif

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/27/05 at 9:53 pm

Try telling that to my late 17 year old son Blaine, Howard :-\\

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/27/05 at 9:55 pm

I know it hits a sore spot with you Mark....but people are just stating that the subs taste better than the ones at Quiznos (they tend to be greasy and the bread is pretty hard)...I know they don't intentionally mean to hurt you when they simply make a statement that happens to include the name of that particular restaurant.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/27/05 at 10:09 pm

I know it hits a sore spot with you Mark....but people are just stating that the subs taste better than the ones at Quiznos (they tend to be greasy and the bread is pretty hard)...I know they don't intentionally mean to hurt you when they simply make a statement that happens to include the name of that particular restaurant.

The way to find a good sandwich is to inquire locally about mom & pop sub shops.  There's a difference when the person preparing your sub (grinder, hero, hoagie, what have you) is doing it for his/her livelihood and takes pride in his/her work.  If it's just some punk at Subway making $7.00 an hour jamming together prefab ingredients, how good can it be?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/27/05 at 10:12 pm

The way to find a good sandwich is to inquire locally about mom & pop sub shops.  There's a difference when the person preparing your sub (grinder, hero, hoagie, what have you) is doing it for his/her livelihood and takes pride in his/her work.  If it's just some punk at Subway making $7.00 an hour jamming together prefab ingredients, how good can it be?

there's this local pizza/sub shop near us...they make the BEST italian subs....they call them, "swingers"...they are mmm mmmm good.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/27/05 at 10:25 pm

I HOPE you're not referring to my son who worked his behind off all his way too short life...as a punk....because unfortunately he DID work at that sh*thole for very little money and because of thier lack of security, died!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/27/05 at 10:27 pm

I understand that but when the people at that sh*thole are called "Punks" it kinda rubs me wrong. Thanks for at least caring about my feelings though, Erin ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/27/05 at 11:22 pm

Please Mark, he didn't even KNOW your son.  Noone is mentioning these things to hurt you so please stop taking everything so personal.  AFA lack of security, I've NEVER been in a restaurant (fast or sit-down) that had security present....even late at night.  Even if there was, that probably wouldn't have stopped them anyway because ARMED security is too expensive for a majority of places ( I know this because my brother & grandfather used to work as security guards and made almost 3x as much when they were working at a place that wanted ARMED security) and some guy with a nightstick is no match for a punk with a gun.  It wouldn't have mattered if it was Subway, McDonald's, Taco Bell or wherever.  Hell, my SIL works at a bank and they DO have armed security guards and they've been robbed multiple times in the past year(different branches, same bank).  It's not the companies fault that some azzhole with a gun decided he needed some "easy money" and your son had his life taken away even though he was cooperating.

I'm not trying to hurt you by saying ^, but I think it needed to be said.  My brother was killed by a guy in a utility truck who (according to some eyewitnesses) was driving too fast around a corner and crossed the center line.  He was not convicted as the eyewitness reports were too conflicting, and did not lose his job (though he was suspended and made to take a driver safety course).  You can't hold it against the company forever.....I'm not saying you have to eat there or even drive by, but for your mental well-being, you HAVE to let it go.
As much as I've bled my soul here about Blaine....I don't like the reference to "Some punk at that place making whatever"...You'd have to be a newbire or under a rock to NOT know about Blaine. Yes, security....I am TRYING to help these way too young kids who work alone with no adults around late at night.  THAT particular corporation as well as many others, with the millions they make, can certainly afford to hire a security guard to be with them for the last few hours?? My son died 12 minutes before closing. That place couldn't afford to hire someone to protect thier "Valued" employees? Bull >:(

BTW, I am truly sorry about your brother :\'(

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/27/05 at 11:55 pm

As much as I've bled my soul here about Blaine....I don't like the reference to "Some punk at that place making whatever"...

No offense intended mate, but i used to work at one of them and i was in fact, some punk, working for a crappy wage, throwing prefab ingredients together.

Dosen't mean i was a jerk to people (i was voted most friendly server of the week once)  ::) But i wasn't gonna give it all for them.

Nobody is trying to insult you or his memory, just a poor choice of words possibly.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/28/05 at 12:01 am

No offense intended mate, but i used to work at one of them and i was in fact, some punk, working for a crappy wage, throwing prefab ingredients together.

Dosen't mean i was a jerk to people (i was voted most friendly server of the week once)  ::) But i wasn't gonna give it all for them.

Nobody is trying to insult you or his memory, just a poor choice of words possibly.
Thanks, I appreciate you not mentioneing the name in a quote to me and I respect how hard you worked for nearly nothing. I'm just pissed that "Place" can't afford to hire some security. BTW, the one where Blaine was murdered was closed for 2 days after and then they promised to only hire adults for the night shift....and yet after only a month the kids were back....bastards.  I also understand that Max didn't mean a personal attack....I was just caught up with the BS of that multi-million dollar crap corp.

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/28/05 at 12:07 am

Thanks, I appreciate you not mentioneing the name in a quote to me and I respect how hard you worked for nearly nothing. I'm just ticked that "Place" can't afford to hire some security. BTW, the one where Blaine was murdered was closed for 2 days after and then they promised to only hire adults for the night shift....and yet after only a month the kids were back....bastards.  I also understand that Max didn't mean a personal attack....I was just caught up with the BS of that multi-million dollar crap corp.

Mark, they are franchises, some are profitable some aren't. If they all hired security, none would be profitable, security guards are expensive no matter who you get.

Written By: ADH13 on 07/28/05 at 12:08 am

Mark after I read your post and then read Maxwells more than once, I think you both were making the same point..  you both mention how they underpay their employees, and how they don't care about quality (whether it be how they treat employees or how they treat customers)  

I don't think he meant that all people who work at that place are punks.. I think he was just referring to the amount of pride an underpaid employee GENERALLY puts into their product as opposed to a mom & pop owner/sandwich maker.

I might add too, that unless you have posts about your son in the political board, Maxwell probably doesn't know anything about that... he never goes to playful penguin, so he probably hasn't seen most of them...

Maxwell, any chance you can modify to Togo's or Blimpie or something?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/28/05 at 12:09 am

Mark, they are franchises, some are profitable some aren't. If they all hired security, none would be profitable, security guards are expensive no matter who you get.
So the big guys at the top offer a little more for ONE hour of protection AND they stoip having JUST kids working the last shift??? Common sense is all it take to save lives but they don't care.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/28/05 at 12:12 am

Mark after I read your post and then read Maxwells more than once, I think you both were making the same point..  you both mention how they underpay their employees, and how they don't care about quality (whether it be how they treat employees or how they treat customers) 

I don't think he meant that all people who work at that place are punks.. I think he was just referring to the amount of pride an underpaid employee GENERALLY puts into their product as opposed to a mom & pop owner/sandwich maker.

I might add too, that unless you have posts about your son in the political board, Maxwell probably doesn't know anything about that... he never goes to playful penguin, so he probably hasn't seen most of them...

Maxwell, any chance you can modify to Togo's or Blimpie or something?
On the record....Max, If what Andrea says is true, I sincerely apologize. I just get worked up when anyone mentions that horrid place as it stirs the worst night of my life all over again :\'(

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/28/05 at 12:13 am

So the big guys at the top offer a little more for ONE hour of protection AND they stoip having JUST kids working the last shift??? Common sense is all it take to save lives but they don't care.

Common sense and big business, now your living in a dream world.
;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/28/05 at 12:16 am

Common sense and big business, now your living in a dream world.
;D
I appreciate and totally get your sense of humor. At thew same time, I remain focused on making these bastards aware of how they need to protect kids :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/28/05 at 10:46 am

And I am truly sorry about Blaine, but you have to know a little about the security business to understand....you can't hire them for just an hour or two, it's at least a 4-6 hour shift (usually 8).  And, again, it's not cheap.  Most franchise owners cannot afford to hire security and you're talking probably around a million dollars or more/year if you expect the corporation to do it.  Just having an adult present wouldn't matter one way or the other....if some punk is dead set on robbing a place, they don't care if it's all kids or if there's an adult present.  And, you're probably not going to find enough adults who are willing to work the night shift for that amount of money to NOT have kids working.
They DID have just adults working there, right after he was killed. They waited until things faded away and went right back to just kids. Sometimes they've even had just one kid working all alone! I'm not saying had an adult been there Blaine would definately still be here but just the possibility that an adult being there might have changed the outcome, that's enough for me. As for security, the BIG coprporation should spend some of thier profits to include money for franchises owners as an option. Then it would or could be used as an insentive. I know of many security gaurds I've spoken to and they've told me they've been hired for short shifts or even Bank closings. Sometimes just the sight of a guy with a badge can ward off criminals...not always but if it's enough to save even just ONE life, why not?

Written By: Howard on 07/28/05 at 2:49 pm

Try telling that to my late 17 year old son Blaine, Howard :-\\

I apologize if I keep bringing it up.It won't happen again. :(

Written By: Howard on 07/28/05 at 2:53 pm

Is It me or are there just way too many Pizza shops in The United States? You have Pizza Hut,Dominos' and other Pizza restaurants.They all taste the same.I don't know the big deal is? ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/28/05 at 3:29 pm

I apologize if I keep bringing it up.It won't happen again. :(
Hey, it's going to happen from time to time. It's alright, Howard ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/28/05 at 3:31 pm

Is It me or are there just way too many Pizza shops in The United States? You have Pizza Hut,Dominos' and other Pizza restaurants.They all taste the same.I don't know the big deal is? ::)

yes...they are a dime a dozen....we have one on virtually every corner.

Written By: Howard on 07/28/05 at 4:16 pm

yes...they are a dime a dozen....we have one on virtually every corner.

How much are pizza slices in your area?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/28/05 at 4:48 pm

They DID have just adults working there, right after he was killed. They waited until things faded away and went right back to just kids. Sometimes they've even had just one kid working all alone! I'm not saying had an adult been there Blaine would definately still be here but just the possibility that an adult being there might have changed the outcome, that's enough for me. As for security, the BIG coprporation should spend some of thier profits to include money for franchises owners as an option. Then it would or could be used as an insentive. I know of many security gaurds I've spoken to and they've told me they've been hired for short shifts or even Bank closings. Sometimes just the sight of a guy with a badge can ward off criminals...not always but if it's enough to save even just ONE life, why not?

At my job, we have a secured building. We can't go in through certain areas without a badge. I often work at the front counter and recently we've had a stalker come in asking for a lady that works here. On one particular day he came in several times and then he finally left. They decided to bring in a security gaurd to protect us. He was only there for a good hour and a half, but if anything, it made us feel better. Fortunatly this stalker has not returned in the past few weeks, but to know our company will do something about it makes me feel assured that I don't have to worry quite as much about my safety - even in broad daylight. I don't think it hurts to hire a guard at any time of the day if someone's life could be in danger

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/28/05 at 4:54 pm

How much are pizza slices in your area?

For me, it seems between $2.50 to $3.00, depending on the size. Our pizza places are probably not quite as varied as in New York, but we still have the "buy by the slice" deal

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/28/05 at 5:28 pm

Well, if it's a secured building, then they already have a security contract with a company so that's a different situation.  But, this has gotten way off topic so I apologize for making it do so.

That is true. Yet, the guards were off duty at that time. So having that immed. assistance was a good thing. Was RockandRollfan's son working at a secure building or even an area that has regular security?

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/28/05 at 7:13 pm

Four of the ones I picked are already not in my area (Albertson's, Mervin's, Basha, Hastings Entertainment), and we don't want them now. The other one (Pier One Imports) is in Indy and we don't need it.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/28/05 at 7:35 pm

Had to vote for Best Buy. Got screwed royally one time by them.
I think Circuit City is better than Best Buy...got my computer at Circuit City...the store's staff were a great help and very knowledgeable...of course it helps if you know what you want out of a PC BEFORE you go to ANY store...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/28/05 at 7:40 pm

I like the small,local pizza shops....We have one called Joe and John's here in Absecon that makes truly GREAT pizzas. And a HUGE assortment of pizza styles and toppings too.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/28/05 at 7:54 pm

I like the small,local pizza shops....We have one called Joe and John's here in Absecon that makes truly GREAT pizzas. And a HUGE assortment of pizza styles and toppings too.

I think I know what I'm having for dinner tonight :0)

Written By: Howard on 07/29/05 at 3:14 pm

Too many Supermarkets everywhere you go such as Key Food,Met,Waldbaums. ::)

Written By: Marian on 07/29/05 at 3:16 pm

:P :P :P :P :P

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/29/05 at 3:52 pm

hmmmmm......it wouldn't have been what I had for dinner last night would it ???  Pizza :P

lol, I ended up not having pizza but a grilled cheese, fries, some garlic bread and a milkshake.. with malt.. I had pizza at work today, so that sufficed :0)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/29/05 at 3:54 pm

Too many Supermarkets everywhere you go such as Key Food,Met,Waldbaums. ::)

I've never heard of those before - are those East coast chains?

We have places called Long's Drugstores, Raley's, Safeway, Nob HIll, Lunardi's, Whole Foods, Andronicos (I did a remodeling job on the house next door to the people who own Andronicos), etc. Yes, there seem to be too many, that's for sure!

Written By: Harmonica on 07/29/05 at 5:16 pm

I think Circuit City is better than Best Buy...got my computer at Circuit City...the store's staff were a great help and very knowledgeable...of course it helps if you know what you want out of a PC BEFORE you go to ANY store...

Really don't have to many circut cities around my area.  Sounds like a good place though.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/29/05 at 7:59 pm

Really don't have to many circut cities around my area.  Sounds like a good place though.

We have about 3 within a 40 mi radius. I never really liked Circuit City all that much. I like "The Good Guys" better. Now, I just prefer Dell online rather than having some person sway me to buy a PC I don't really need and get the specs for one that I can build online myself and have it shipped - NOW that's convienance. :0)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/29/05 at 8:03 pm

None of the stores listed we have over here. Most of our stores are taken from Australia and the UK, which are quite different from the US.

Written By: ADH13 on 07/29/05 at 10:25 pm

I've never heard of those before - are those East coast chains?

We have places called Long's Drugstores, Raley's, Safeway, Nob HIll, Lunardi's, Whole Foods, Andronicos (I did a remodeling job on the house next door to the people who own Andronicos), etc. Yes, there seem to be too many, that's for sure!

you must live near me, then... I'm in San Jose. 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/29/05 at 10:28 pm

That is true. Yet, the guards were off duty at that time. So having that immed. assistance was a good thing. Was RockandRollfan's son working at a secure building or even an area that has regular security?
Nope, because the HUGE money making corporation can't afford security. It's like I've suggested to them, OFFER the money to pay for a security guard for just a few hours...yes they DO work for any amount of time and not just 6 or more, and it's better than leaving these kids there to be the sitting ducks for the real "Punks" that steal and murder. See Max, the true "Punks" are the criminals and not the kids who attend school during the day and work at night so they can make some honest money ;)

Written By: whitewolf on 07/30/05 at 9:06 am

I also have to say that many of the kids that work at fast food restaurants ARE punks.  They are disrespectful and rude.  For instance, the punk who called "hey lady, your food's done" instead of calling my number at one the other night.  Then, when I pointed out that my son's cheesburger was to have only ketchup, he said "So, you want a new one???"  Well, DUH!!!

I have to say the same for the kids that work at fast food places down here. We ordered a family meal special last week. It was supposed to come with fries, chicken and rolls. When we got home there was no fries (only an empty box)We called to complain and they said that there was nothing they can do.

we had to pay for another taxi to take my hubby down to get the fries-which we had to pay for. the kid working said that he doesn't make mistakes like that.

Next day we called the manager, we told him what happened and since the punk kid said that he doesn't make mistakes, we kept the empty fry box(no grease stains in it either) for proof.

The manager reimbursed us for the extra taxi fare and also gave us a coupon for a free family dinner at that kids expense-not because he made a mistake(that can happen to anyone)but because of how rude he was.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/30/05 at 10:11 am

That is how most of the kids here are, too.  They act like they are doing you a favor by waiting on you.  There are a few good kids, but mostly they have an attitude.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/30/05 at 11:14 am

same goes here....they usually just stand there and stare at you like you have 4 eyes or something....and then you never hear any remarks such as, "thank you", or "have a nice day", or anything on those lines.  Once in a blue moon you will find someone who actually is smiling and may offer a "thanks" or so.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 07/30/05 at 12:29 pm

The one store I truly can't stand is called "Hobby Lobby."I don't know if this is a nationwide chain or they're just around the Midwest, but I freakin' HATE Hobby Lobbys. You see, when I go into a hobby store, I expect to see model trains, RPG action figures, radio-controlled cars and airplanes, and other cool big boy toys. And then I went into a Hobby Lobby. It was the size of a Wal-Mart and it was packed full of nothing but flowers, potpourri, cheesy scupltures, and all kids of other girly crap, and there wasn't a single radio-controlled car to be found in the place. Not to mention that the Muzak system seems to play nothing but Celine Dion and Michael Bolton. I swear, you could almost feel the estrogen dripping off the walls, so much so that I could have sworn I felt my package start to shrink after I'd been there for about 5 minutes. It's a good place if you want to buy picture frames but that's about it. Knowing that I'll someday have to be drug into places like this almost makes me afraid to ever get married.

There, I've vented.

Written By: Howard on 07/30/05 at 1:08 pm

I don't know about you but there are way too many 99 Cent stores.They're ok but way too many of them.The 99 cent stores are great when you need a bargain sometimes.

Written By: gemini on 07/30/05 at 6:22 pm

I always check my food, right there in the drive thru line. I left Mcdonalds once a few years ago, and my daughter opened her hamburger in the car on the way home. Good thing, because there was NO MEAT on the bun!  :o I had to go back and take the bun in & of course they thought I was nuts. So I never leave anymore until I've checked everything in the bag.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/31/05 at 3:03 am

Well, you'd better start contacting companies then because I saw 4 fast food restaurants last night at closing time that had kids working with no adult supervision and no security.  The guards may work for any amount of time, but the company has to sign a contract and pay for a certain number of hours (minimum of 6 in IL) whether they're there or not.  Which, as I said, probably wouldn't have changed anything.

I also have to say that many of the kids that work at fast food restaurants ARE punks.  They are disrespectful and rude.  For instance, the punk who called "hey lady, your food's done" instead of calling my number at one the other night.  Then, when I pointed out that my son's cheesburger was to have only ketchup, he said "So, you want a new one???"  Well, DUH!!!
I'm actually working on starting a foundation to help educate employers about safety for thier employees. I agree with you that there are a lot of punk kids that work at these places but I also would respond to your statement of "It probably wouldn't have changed anything"....thing is that word "Probably"....I'd say if there was ANY chance that even one kid could keep his life because of some kind of preventive measures being taken, then it most certainly is worth a try.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/31/05 at 3:06 am

Hey Max....I want to again apologize for jumping on you for your "Punk" comment. I need to keep working at not being so defensive about Blaine. Not everyone knows and that isn;t a bad thing. I thank you for your reply, as you had every right to say what you said :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/02/05 at 1:25 pm

The one store I truly can't stand is called "Hobby Lobby."I don't know if this is a nationwide chain or they're just around the Midwest, but I freakin' HATE Hobby Lobbys. You see, when I go into a hobby store, I expect to see model trains, RPG action figures, radio-controlled cars and airplanes, and other cool big boy toys. And then I went into a Hobby Lobby. It was the size of a Wal-Mart and it was packed full of nothing but flowers, potpourri, cheesy scupltures, and all kids of other girly crap, and there wasn't a single radio-controlled car to be found in the place. Not to mention that the Muzak system seems to play nothing but Celine Dion and Michael Bolton. I swear, you could almost feel the estrogen dripping off the walls, so much so that I could have sworn I felt my package start to shrink after I'd been there for about 5 minutes. It's a good place if you want to buy picture frames but that's about it. Knowing that I'll someday have to be drug into places like this almost makes me afraid to ever get married.

There, I've vented.

I don't think we have a "Hobby Lobby" here, although I know we have some sort of Hobby store in Concord that does cater to model planes and the like. To me, a hobby place should have that kind of stuff and also doll house supplies. We had a store called "Hobby Depot" and I loved going in there because I had a fascination for all things miniature (I was the same girl who asked for Micro machines as a kid). It's too bad your "Hobby Lobby" was more commercial crap than anything of true interest  ???

Written By: Howard on 08/02/05 at 3:21 pm

Maybe I could do without too many coffee cafes.I mean coffee is coffee.They all taste the same. ::)

Written By: C.NOIZE on 08/02/05 at 11:04 pm

I could definitely do without Wal*Mart.  They are, in my opinion, the worst store ever (if you can call them a store).  There's too many of them in the wrong places.  They pretend to "save" communities when all they do is hurt them.  They have gotten too big for their Chinese-sweatshop-made britches.  I'd rather see more local mom and pop shops than huge warehouses.  Thanks to Wal*Mart, and its counterparts, America is morphing into Suburbia.  And the resistance is slow in coming.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 08/02/05 at 11:06 pm

I could definitely do without Wal*Mart.  They are, in my opinion, the worst store ever (if you can call them a store).  There's too many of them in the wrong places.  They pretend to "save" communities when all they do is hurt them.  They have gotten too big for their Chinese-sweatshop-made britches.  I'd rather see more local mom and pop shops than huge warehouses.  Thanks to Wal*Mart, and its counterparts, America is morphing into Suburbia.  And the resistance is slow in coming.

*Stands up and applauds*

Amen!

Beth

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/02/05 at 11:30 pm

Maybe I could do without too many coffee cafes.I mean coffee is coffee.They all taste the same. ::)

It's like gas stations saying they've got better gas than the one next door - who's to know and who's to care?? lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/03/05 at 1:55 am

I always enjoy going into Starbucks (Coffee Company) and asking for a cup of tea.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/03/05 at 7:36 am

I totally agree with you C.Noize!  I am sick of seeing/hearing about some great places being torn down to accommodate OTHER Walmarts! We had a really neat little mall that was built in like the 60's or so....yes, it was going downhill real fast...but I believe, instead of tearing it down to put up a SUPER DUPER HUGE GIGANTIC (I mean, how big are they gonna get?) Walmart, they could have renovated it and used it for numerous possibilities. I am the type of person that is ALL for preserving old buildings, instead of tearing them down to make room for nothing but pre-fab garbage.

Written By: Apricot on 08/03/05 at 11:14 am

They have gotten too big for their Chinese-sweatshop-made britches.  I'd rather see more local mom and pop shops than huge warehouses.

Did you know it actually costs a lot of money to make the crap Wal*Mart sells? On average, constructing a toy that sells for $14 in the US costs $40 in wages.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/03/05 at 11:56 am

http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/1074.gif

Cat

Written By: NullandVoid on 08/03/05 at 12:41 pm

I am so mad at Blockbusters right now. They had the nerve to impose a new rule regarding new rental memberships.
New members NEED to have a credit card to register. In a world where credit card debt is an epidemic, it's sickening that BB would do that. Not everyone has a credit card and some people who do are having issues paying them off. It's okay for NETFlix to impose a rule like that because of the nature of their business but blockbuster NO!!
Btw, Netflix provides the option of Signing up with a Debit Card, BB does not.
I think places like Blockbuster, Hollywood Video or any other "rental chain" should keep their services accessible to ALL people regardless of how they pay for their rentals. It was those same companies who drove the small video stores out of business(I miss those places). Now they're are going to alienate even more of their customers!!! jerks. >:(

*Edited for clarification of my point

Written By: grime reaper on 08/03/05 at 1:31 pm

I am so mad at Blockbusters right now. They had the nerve to impose a new rule regarding new rental memberships.
New members NEED to have a credit card to register. In a world where credit card debt is an epidemic, it's sickening that BB would do that. Not everyone has a credit card and some people who do are having issues paying them off. It's okay for NETFlix to impose a rule like that because of the nature of their business but blockbuster NO!!
Btw, Netflix provides the option of paying with a Debit Card, BB does not.
I think places like Blockbuster, Hollywood Video or any other "rental chain" should keep their services accessible to ALL people regardless of how they pay for their rentals. It was those same companies who drove the small video stores out of business(I miss those places). Now they're are going to alienate even more of their customers!!! jerks. >:(

YOu can use a debit card anywhere you can use a debt card :D, so no need to get rambunctius. ::)  You dont have to go into debt >:( if you dont want to :P.  Just go into debit. ;)

Written By: NullandVoid on 08/03/05 at 9:02 pm

YOu can use a debit card anywhere you can use a debt card :D, so no need to get rambunctius. ::)  You dont have to go into debt >:( if you dont want to :P.  Just go into debit. ;)

Yes I do understand that a debit card can be be used anywhere, BUT at Blockbuster you need a major credit card to become a member. you can still pay by cash or debit once you are already approved as a member. Needing to sign up with a credit card was my issue with BB. This was all nicely explained to me by The manager of the Blockbuster in my neighborhood.

By the way, being rambunctious and stating an opinion are two different things. ::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/03/05 at 9:08 pm

Yes I do understand that a debit card can be be used anywhere, BUT at Blockbuster you need a major credit card to become a member. you can still pay by cash or debit once you are already approved as a member. Needing to sign up with a credit card was my issue with BB. This was all nicely explained to me by The manager of the Blockbuster in my neighborhood.

By the way, being rambunctious and stating an opinion are two different things. ::)

I agree...Blockbuster has always been kinda anal about things.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 08/03/05 at 9:11 pm

I agree...Blockbuster has always been kinda anal about things.

Yeah, Blockbuster sucks. Didn't someone say that they always rented videos from there, and they rarely worked? Or maybe I'm just smoking something... *Shrugs*

Beth

Written By: Apricot on 08/03/05 at 9:29 pm

Blockbuster videos always worked for me.. and I saw through their little plan with the "No Late Fees" crap.. our Blockbuster is a good store.. and there's very little competition.. but they don't suck because they can.. they keep good service.

Written By: Howard on 08/04/05 at 3:15 pm

So many bagel shops in New York City.They're all the same to me. ::)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/04/05 at 6:27 pm

Howard, I agree. ;)  All these big time cities have tons of everything by every maker possible!
San Francisco, famous for it's sourdough bread, has enough of that by every person possible. But, boy, the smell of that bread in the heart of the city at noontime is a sure delight. That's a part of "the city" that you don't miss. I also heard from my boyfriend that when you went over the Bay Bridge in the 1970's you could dinstinctly smell the scent of coffee in the air because there was a coffee plant (not the actual plant, lol) in the city, grinding coffee beans. 

Written By: Dan78 on 08/04/05 at 8:00 pm

I could do without Famous Footwear! 1 in 10 times I go in there, I'll kinda find a pair of shoes I like, but none of the shoes I bought there I really liked.

Written By: SamIam on 08/05/05 at 12:08 pm

I heard a rumor that Wal*Mart is looking for Oompa-Loompa's to clone since they work for free.

Written By: nally on 08/07/05 at 12:48 pm

Btw, Netflix provides the option of Signing up with a Debit Card, BB does not.

*Edited for clarification of my point

I haven't been there in a while...but thanks for the heads up. Although, the last time I did go there (which was last year) they had a whole bunch of DVDs and hardly any videos! If they're going to be a DVD rental place now, shouldn't they be called "Blockbuster DVD" now instead of "Blockbuster Video"?? ::)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/07/05 at 1:07 pm

My area has ShopRite as one of the foodstore chains. But ShopRites are all different as far as selection and courtesy goes..Some ShopRites have nasty,unhelpful employees...

I go to PathMark to do my food shopping. Clean store,nice selection, courteous and downright nice people there!

Written By: rich1981 on 08/07/05 at 8:38 pm

I haven't been to Walmart all that often, I go to K-mart for most of my needs, so I chose Walmart.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/08/05 at 1:41 pm

I haven't been to Walmart all that often, I go to K-mart for most of my needs, so I chose Walmart.

Yeah, Walmart is okay. They have good deals and all, but they are a bit depressing. I like Target best. They have a lot of stuff for good prices and it's not at all cheap looking..

Written By: Howard on 08/08/05 at 4:43 pm

Lingerie shops.We already have a Victoria's Secret for that. ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/09/05 at 12:40 am

Oh no...you need a variety of these....VS doesn't get trashy enough for some of us people ;)

Yeah, that's when you need those lingerie shops with those mannequins inthe front with hot pink lighting (soft ligthing, at that) surrounding them while they;re adorned with feathered frollicks.

Written By: Alchoholica on 08/09/05 at 12:45 pm

Yeah, Walmart is okay. They have good deals and all, but they are a bit depressing. I like Target best. They have a lot of stuff for good prices and it's not at all cheap looking..

Agreed. Target is the superior store.

I was there the other day, after having been in a wal-mart trying to find stuff.. Ugh. Wal Mart is indeed grotty, nasty, the staff look like they're ready to go up the bell tower with a rifle.. and a lot of the stuff there sucks.

Target tends to be about 4-5% more expensive. It's worth it.

Written By: Howard on 08/09/05 at 4:07 pm

Oh no...you need a variety of these....VS doesn't get trashy enough for some of us people ;)

CrazyMom,I've always wondered why Victoria's Secret never have mannequins but only big board posters with scantily clad VS women? ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/09/05 at 4:50 pm

CrazyMom,I've always wondered why Victoria's Secret never have mannequins but only big board posters with scantily clad VS women? ;D

For people like you, Howard.

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/09/05 at 4:58 pm

Agreed. Target is the superior store.

I was there the other day, after having been in a wal-mart trying to find stuff.. Ugh. Wal Mart is indeed grotty, nasty, the staff look like they're ready to go up the bell tower with a rifle.. and a lot of the stuff there sucks.

Target tends to be about 4-5% more expensive. It's worth it.

Yeah, I will usually go to Wal-Mart if I am looking for a super deal, or want to stock up on stuff. Target sometimes is higher than Wal-Mart, but not all the time. They still have some fabulous deals for something of that quality.

lol, that's a good one about the bell tower with a rifle. I think they ought to lose those blue apron like outfits they're forced to wear. Then it wouldn't look like such a communist ran business.

Written By: Howard on 08/09/05 at 5:52 pm

For people like you, Howard.

Cat

Thank You Cat. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/09/05 at 9:20 pm

Yeah, I will usually go to Wal-Mart if I am looking for a super deal, or want to stock up on stuff. Target sometimes is higher than Wal-Mart, but not all the time. They still have some fabulous deals for something of that quality.

lol, that's a good one about the bell tower with a rifle. I think they ought to lose those blue apron like outfits they're forced to wear. Then it wouldn't look like such a communist ran business.

Walmart's employees (for the most part, and in my experience with them) suck!  I had uploaded some pics on Walmart.com because I was told that they do an ok job and you get them fast, sent to the local Walmart by you.  I was told that they would be at my local Walmart store between last Thursday and this Monday. I went last Friday and asked if they were in, the girl looked everywhere, and couldn't find them, she was fairly polite. My husband went back on Sunday and went in to inquire about the pics....he said that the girl (another one) was very rude to him and didn't even look in all of the places that she could have. I went in again yesterday (Monday) and again, they were not there. I thought that I would give them one more day before I filed a complaint thru the website...so I went in today, and it just so happened that it was the original girl from last Friday. I re-explained it to her, gave her my name (which I have a hypenated last name)...and she still couldn't find them....so I said, well please look under just my husband's last name...and when she did, she found them.  All she had to do the entire time was give the envelope a good glance, as the name I put the pictures under was right on the envelope (my hypenated name).  That wasn't the only occasion that I had a rude Walmart employee taking care of me. I just hate that store, and needless to say...I will go elsewhere to get my pics developed next time.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/10/05 at 12:20 am

Walmart's employees (for the most part, and in my experience with them) suck!  I had uploaded some pics on Walmart.com because I was told that they do an ok job and you get them fast, sent to the local Walmart by you.  I was told that they would be at my local Walmart store between last Thursday and this Monday. I went last Friday and asked if they were in, the girl looked everywhere, and couldn't find them, she was fairly polite. My husband went back on Sunday and went in to inquire about the pics....he said that the girl (another one) was very rude to him and didn't even look in all of the places that she could have. I went in again yesterday (Monday) and again, they were not there. I thought that I would give them one more day before I filed a complaint thru the website...so I went in today, and it just so happened that it was the original girl from last Friday. I re-explained it to her, gave her my name (which I have a hypenated last name)...and she still couldn't find them....so I said, well please look under just my husband's last name...and when she did, she found them.  All she had to do the entire time was give the envelope a good glance, as the name I put the pictures under was right on the envelope (my hypenated name).  That wasn't the only occasion that I had a rude Walmart employee taking care of me. I just hate that store, and needless to say...I will go elsewhere to get my pics developed next time.

Ohh, that sounds like a bad experience to go through.  :( I can understand your frustration, although I haven't had that experience with Wal-Mart employees yet.. I am sure I am bound to at some point - if I keep going there. I actually have had two close friends and an ex-boyfriend who worked there. My ex-boyfriend actually worked the photo department and he had a tough time with the employess there, himself. He eventually got out of there. My other two friends (both sisters) still work at Wal-Mart but they work late at night stocking, so they don't handle customer service and the like. There was a time (when I was a wide-eyed innocent 10 year old) that I thought Wal-Mart coming to town was really cool. I never had heard of them before *except when I watched Ntn'l Lampoon's Christmas Vac. seeing Chevy Chase shop at a Wal-Mart in one scene* So, now 13 years later - I have seen what sort of monster they've become to the retail/supermarket industry. It's too bad that Sam Walton's dream seems to have down the drain a bit..

Written By: Chrisrj on 08/10/05 at 1:02 am

Can all my 5 votes go to Wal-mart?

I heard some bad things about them(like how they treat their female employees, and how they used to collect all the employees' insurance money after they die, even the $ that goes to others in the family, even if they quit), and besides, it comes off as trailer-trashy..

However, I have shopped at Hot Topic a few times, but just for the shirts with pop culture icons on them, like video game characters and Full Metal Alchemist (anime). 

OOH I forgot!  Starbucks!  Has that been mentioned yet?  One in each city would be OK, but there are 3 in my town now(one's inside Safeway, and one's insie Albertson's)! 
Also, at least in my town, there are nail salons everywhere! In fact, there are 3 in one small area here!  And they all have the same 80's artwork on their windows!(I love the 80s, but it's like they haven't noticed noone looks like that anymore... or it's a weird 80s nail salon cult!)  It's the weirdest thing.  I don't know if it's like, GLOBAL, but I know it irritates me.  I'd like something I need, not repeats of what the city thinks everyone needs!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/10/05 at 2:08 am

Can all my 5 votes go to Wal-mart?

I heard some bad things about them(like how they treat their female employees, and how they used to collect all the employees' insurance money after they die, even the $ that goes to others in the family, even if they quit), and besides, it comes off as trailer-trashy..

However, I have shopped at Hot Topic a few times, but just for the shirts with pop culture icons on them, like video game characters and Full Metal Alchemist (anime). 

OOH I forgot!  Starbucks!  Has that been mentioned yet?  One in each city would be OK, but there are 3 in my town now(one's inside Safeway, and one's insie Albertson's)! 
Also, at least in my town, there are nail salons everywhere! In fact, there are 3 in one small area here!  And they all have the same 80's artwork on their windows!(I love the 80s, but it's like they haven't noticed noone looks like that anymore... or it's a weird 80s nail salon cult!)  It's the weirdest thing.  I don't know if it's like, GLOBAL, but I know it irritates me.  I'd like something I need, not repeats of what the city thinks everyone needs!

I totally agree with you about the Wal-mart problems, Starbucks globalization and the Nail salon tacky nail window art. I have noticed that for years myself and it has also driven me nuts. Not only nail salons, but even many hair salons do this. I mean I could understand if this was some sort of decal they put on their window in the early 1990's, but in the 2000's !!! They have either got to get a "new" standard to take it's place or it will go down in history as the longest living window decal design... lol

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/10/05 at 2:33 am

And what's so "secret" about it anyway?
;)

Written By: lori9 on 10/21/05 at 6:25 pm

I love basha's there my favorite store to shop!!!!  They have the best coupons.  I can do without Fry's, there rude!!!!!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/21/05 at 6:30 pm

Who the hell shops at K-Mart anymore?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/21/05 at 6:51 pm

Hey, I like Home Depot...if only for the NASCAR driver they sponsor.

As for THE COMPETITION aka Lowe's.......bah! humbug!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/21/05 at 6:57 pm

Who the hell shops at K-Mart anymore?

I went there this year to get some Halloween lights...but other than that...I usually never go there.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/21/05 at 7:05 pm

Target is better than K-Mart..I can get my printer cartridges cheap at Target..when at Staples I'd have to pay almost $30 for a tri-color cartridge for my Hewlett-Packard printer...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/21/05 at 7:24 pm

I like Target's home decor section...they have a lot of neato unique things for the house at an affordable price.

Written By: whistledog on 10/21/05 at 8:51 pm

I don't like Wal-Mart all that much.  If it wasn't for their $6.88 DVD Bins, I'd never shop there at all

We have a similar type store cross Canada called Zellers.  I quite like shopping there :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/21/05 at 9:11 pm

I picked Blockbuster (simply b/c they are expensive and don't have a great selection - netflix is much better) and Kmart (quite simply b/c I haven't shopped there in so long).

However, I can do w/o the expensive mall stores like Abercrombie and Fitch and other stores. Whatever. I don't think buying a white tank with rhinestones (shoot, I can use my bedazzler) for $40 will improve my life.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/21/05 at 10:04 pm

I have to wonder if CD stores like FYE, Sam Goody, or Tower Records will someday be bankrupt due to people downloading music? And there are even folks who download movies(which takes sooooo long why take hours to download a flick if you can easily rent it or tape it when they show it on TV?)

I don't like clothing stores like Deb that only sell clothes for smaller women...Sad that some stores don't sell anything for plus-size gals like me.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/22/05 at 1:33 am

Ben & Jerry's

I never thought I'd say so because I've shoveled enough Ben & Jerry's ice cream to fill the Washington Monument!  My end-of-the-day in the '80s was watching Late Night with David Letterman with a pint of B&J.

However, since the Ben Cohen and Jerry what's-his-name sold the company to the Unilever conglomerate, it's hippie-trippy progressive image is just a facade.  Also, since the company changed hands, they've stopped distributing most of my favorite flavors.

Ten years ago I would have been psyched to have a Ben & Jerry's parlor in my town, but the shop didn't open until last year.  Their product isn't anything special, and the clown-around hippie kids who run the place bug me! 
It's not "May I help you?," it's "What's happening...man?"
Whad'dya think?  This is an ice cream parlor, you think maybe I'd like to order some ice cream?
:D
And I've got news 4ya....the sixties are over, Jerry Garcia is dead, a faceless megacorporation owns you, so lose the tie-dye, it's really hokey-looking!

I've been making a concerted effort to buy my pints from Bart's, a local company with a store in Amherst.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 10/22/05 at 3:01 am

I like Target's home decor section...they have a lot of neato unique things for the house at an affordable price.

I agree with u ... Target has cool stuff.  I always loved Pier 1 but im on unemployment and to me, nothing beats Dollar Tree and THRIFT STORES!!! They are the best :D :D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/22/05 at 3:23 am

I have to wonder if CD stores like FYE, Sam Goody, or Tower Records will someday be bankrupt due to people downloading music?
I seriously doubt it. And if they do...  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/22/05 at 4:22 am

The Safeway is now called Morrison's

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/22/05 at 12:04 pm

Ben & Jerry's

I never thought I'd say so because I've shoveled enough Ben & Jerry's ice cream to fill the Washington Monument!  My end-of-the-day in the '80s was watching Late Night with David Letterman with a pint of B&J.

However, since the Ben Cohen and Jerry what's-his-name sold the company to the Unilever conglomerate, it's hippie-trippy progressive image is just a facade.  Also, since the company changed hands, they've stopped distributing most of my favorite flavors.

Ten years ago I would have been psyched to have a Ben & Jerry's parlor in my town, but the shop didn't open until last year.  Their product isn't anything special, and the clown-around hippie kids who run the place bug me! 
It's not "May I help you?," it's "What's happening...man?"
Whad'dya think?  This is an ice cream parlor, you think maybe I'd like to order some ice cream?
And I've got news 4ya....the sixties are over, Jerry Garcia is dead, a faceless megacorporation owns you, so lose the tie-dye, it's really hokey-looking!

I've been making a concerted effort to buy my pints from Bart's, a local company with a store in Amherst.

It's Jerry Greenfield. I was very upset when it was sold to Unilever too (as were many). They still do some of their community service with their profits but it's just not the same. But you are right that some flavors have disappeared (like Rain Forest Crunch  :\'()  But, I still like B&J. Chunky Monkey and Pistachio, Pistachio are my favs.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/22/05 at 3:22 pm

I agree with u ... Target has cool stuff.  I always loved Pier 1 but im on unemployment and to me, nothing beats Dollar Tree and THRIFT STORES!!! They are the best :D :D

I agree...thrift stores ROCK! I have gotten so many neato things for my house there! ;)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/22/05 at 5:44 pm

I once bought a leather jacket that looked Badass on me at a thrift shop, but now I don't know where it went!  That was about 6 years ago.

Written By: whistledog on 10/23/05 at 11:28 pm

I agree...thrift stores ROCK! I have gotten so many neato things for my house there! ;)

I go to Thrift stores almost every third day.  They are such great places :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/23/05 at 11:35 pm

It's Jerry Greenfield. I was very upset when it was sold to Unilever too (as were many). They still do some of their community service with their profits but it's just not the same. But you are right that some flavors have disappeared (like Rain Forest Crunch  :\'()  But, I still like B&J. Chunky Monkey and Pistachio, Pistachio are my favs.

Cat

They killed off my "Bovinity Divinity," choclate/white chocolate ice cream with lil' chocolate/white chocolate cows.
:\'(
Some of their flavors just had too much stuff in them, and I'm afraid "Rainforest Crunch" was one them.  My dad used to call Ben & Jerry's "Cheech & Chong ice cream."  You'd have to be, you know, to come up with those combinations of ingredients!  I think they did their worst with the peanut butter-filled chocolate-covered pretzels in "Chubby Hubby."  What kind of name is that?  It's like a warning to wives!

Written By: kellygoo72 on 10/24/05 at 2:40 am

I go to Thrift stores almost every third day.  They are such great places :)
  I love them too and go quite abit... i even get cool gifts for friends there... I love to buy a ton of stuff and go home, show it to my boyfriend and say "Guess what I pd for this"... He could care less ;D ;D, I am always there... Iswear, around my area, Im like the female Norm from cheers there... I walk in and they say "KELLY!!!" :D

Written By: nally on 05/08/07 at 9:59 pm

I go to Thrift stores almost every third day. They are such great places :)

I don't think I've been to a thrift store... what kinda stuff do they sell?

Never mind, I think I know now. :)

Written By: Tia on 05/08/07 at 10:46 pm

is there any way i can vote for blockbuster five times?

Written By: Marian on 05/09/07 at 3:20 pm

I have to wonder if CD stores like FYE, Sam Goody, or Tower Records will someday be bankrupt due to people downloading music? And there are even folks who download movies(which takes sooooo long why take hours to download a flick if you can easily rent it or tape it when they show it on TV?)

I don't like clothing stores like Deb that only sell clothes for smaller women...Sad that some stores don't sell anything for plus-size gals like me.
Well Tower records is gone. :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/07 at 2:02 am

is there any way i can vote for blockbuster five times?
I have never had the need to use Blockbuster.

Written By: Dan1997 on 05/12/07 at 10:58 pm

Woah! One of my old threads!  ;D (Dan78, now I'm titled Dan1997) Another one I can do without now is Hastings Entertainment.
Everytime I go in there to find a CD I can never find what I want. They are so disorganized, they never restock. I go to Barnes and Noble to find things I can't find at Hastings!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/12/07 at 11:41 pm

Wal-Mart  I never shop there, so I guess I can do without it

Written By: Dan1997 on 05/13/07 at 12:33 am

Wal-Mart  I never shop there, so I guess I can do without it

BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP! :o
Walmart security guard: "Uh, I need to go through all of your bags to see what set the alarm off!"
(60 seconds later, merchandise is all smashed, and black finger prints all over everything from his dirty hands) ;D (exaggerating)

Me: "Oh, I guess it was my San Disk flash drive!" :D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/13/07 at 2:28 am

BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP! :o
Walmart security guard: "Uh, I need to go through all of your bags to see what set the alarm off!"
(60 seconds later, merchandise is all smashed, and black finger prints all over everything from his dirty hands) ;D (exaggerating)

Me: "Oh, I guess it was my San Disk flash drive!" :D
no way!  how embarrassing,  customer service just ain't what it used to be.  so did you get popped for shoplifting?  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/13/07 at 3:27 pm

There's a store that just opened in one of the strip malls here called "Plato's Closet."  What the hell is that all about?

Written By: Marian on 05/15/07 at 2:52 pm

There's a store that just opened in one of the strip malls here called "Plato's Closet."  What the hell is that all about?
maybe they sell plates? ;D :D

Check for new replies or respond here...