inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Films that creeped you out.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/26/05 at 12:15 pm

What films creeped you out?  My pick is Troll, probally one of the weirdest movies I have seen.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00009PY4I.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Subject: Re: Films that creeped you out.

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/26/05 at 12:16 pm

E.T. Because i saw it when i was really young, eeeewww the creepy as* alien creeped me out big time.

I used to think he was behind the door when i was in bed.. oh man, nothing messed me up that bad until Robocop.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/05 at 1:58 pm

Creeped me out in a good way:

The Shining
Eyes Wide Shut (especially the masked ball scene!)
Saw
The Hidden Fortress (Kurosawa)
Blue Velvet
Eraserhead
The Elephant Man
Pink Flamingos
Silence of the Lambs
The Blair Witch Project
Dracula (original 1931 w/ Bela Lugosi)
Fargo
Rosemary's Baby (Polanski!)
The Tenant (Polanski again!)
Repulsion (Another Polanski!)
The Last House on the Left

Creeped me out in a bad way:
The Last Exit to Brooklyn (the gang rape scene)
Wild At Heart (Blue Velvet worked because it was good versus evil, WAH was evil versus evil, that bugged me.)
Traffic (the movie is terrific, I just can't watch the teenage crackhead doing the evil drug dealer.  Too much.)
A Room With A View (E.M. Forster, James Ivory--too much cotton candy will make anybody sick!)
For the Love of Benji (the vivisection sequence)

Written By: woops on 07/26/05 at 2:31 pm

E.T. Because i saw it when i was really young, eeeewww the creepy as* alien creeped me out big time.

Second

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/26/05 at 3:07 pm

Jeepers Creepers (I didn't like the fact that he used that guy's belly button skin...eww).
Wrong Turn (eww...imbreds on the loose)
Seven (The ending totally freaked me out)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (totally crazy whenever he cut off that guys face and used it as a mask)
Saw (wow...strange...and the ending was a total surprise)
Jaws (when I was really young, but to this day..I don't like sharks)
E.T. ( I also didn't like that movie, especially when he and Elliot were all pale and sick).
Gremlins (freaked me out as a child)

Erin :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/26/05 at 5:29 pm

I think that it's a chessy film...  ::)

Outlander! Outlander! We have your woman!

Written By: Howard on 07/26/05 at 5:59 pm

Halloween 3 Season Of The Witch

Fright Night

Written By: Dagwood on 07/26/05 at 6:38 pm

Children of the Corn scared the daylights out of me then and still does now :-\\

Malachai........he wants you too, Mal-a-chai

I'll second that one.  Creepy. 

Written By: jiminy on 07/26/05 at 6:57 pm

The needle in the eye scene, i have a thing about eyes and slit throats and wrists in movies that grosses me out
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00009WNXA.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/26/05 at 7:41 pm

Fright Night

The only that scared me about Halloween 3 Season Of The Witch was how bad it was....  ::)

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/26/05 at 8:00 pm

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, at least the scene where the Mid East guy pulls the heart out of a man while said man is still alive, then burns it with his psychic powers.

Almost every scene in "Hannibal"

The scene in "Forbidden World" where the octo-creature skewers the Brit blonde female from her...ahem naughty bit.  :-[

And any scene with features creatures born from a human woman's womb. (Humanoids From The Deep, The Fly, V, etc.)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/05 at 8:02 pm

Children of the Corn scared the daylights out of me then and still does now :-\\

Malachai........he wants you too, Mal-a-chai

Oh yeah!  Not the creepiest, but definitely up there!

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/26/05 at 8:21 pm

Return To Oz was a very dark movie. The Exorcist freaked me out, as well.

Beth

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/26/05 at 8:38 pm

Return To Oz was a very dark movie. The Exorcist freaked me out, as well.

Beth

I love the movie, "Return to Oz"....Fairuza Balk was so adorable in that movie, but yes..it was creepy.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/26/05 at 8:43 pm

I used to think he was behind the door when i was in bed.. oh man, nothing messed me up that bad until Robocop.

The movie or the poster? ;D

Seriously though, I've been semi scared of several movies -- usually not the entire thing, but rather certain scenes. If I had to pick just one overall, probably American History X - just because that kind of thing COULD easily be true stories, or fragments of them. Far scarier than any made up monster IMHO.

EDIT--Off the top of my head, movies that have scared me:

Arachnophobia
Scream 1 and 2
Carrie (esp the 2002 TV remake)
The Exorcist
Ernest Scared Stupid (just a few isolated parts)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/26/05 at 9:25 pm

Do you guys remember some scary movie about Scarecrows? I saw this movie in the early 90's at a friend's sleepover party.

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/26/05 at 9:25 pm

Seriously though, I've been semi scared of several movies -- usually not the entire thing, but rather certain scenes. If I had to pick just one overall, probably American History X - just because that kind of thing COULD easily be true stories, or fragments of them. Far scarier than any made up monster IMHO.

That's one of my favourite EVER! Movies, for that particular reason, because it's so dark and violent. Plus Edward Norton is one of my favourite Actors. It's a great film because it could be (and is with different people) true.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/26/05 at 9:26 pm

That's one of my favourite EVER! Movies, for that particular reason, because it's so dark and violent. Plus Edward Norton is one of my favourite Actors. It's a great film because it could be (and is with different people) true.

speaking of Edward Norton....have you ever seen the movie, "Primal Fear"?  That movie is crazy!

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/26/05 at 9:28 pm

speaking of Edward Norton....have you ever seen the movie, "Primal Fear"?  That movie is crazy!

Yup, as we speak i am looking at Both Fight Club & Primal Fear laying next to my dvd player

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/26/05 at 9:28 pm

Definitely. I watched it for an English class assignment in 2002 I think - no matter how frightening it got in places, it was impossible NOT to watch it. Really eye-opening on tons of levels.

I like Edward Norton too - though this was quite a change of pace from his role in Detriot Rock City!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/26/05 at 9:29 pm

Was it "Night of the Scarecrow" where the kids unleash a spirit and it possesses a scarecrow who goes around killing people?  It's been a while, but that's one I remember.

It could have been...all I can remember were these scarecrows that were "alive" and would kill people...so that might be it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/26/05 at 9:30 pm

Yup, as we speak i am looking at Both Fight Club & Primal Fear laying next to my dvd player

We watched Primal Fear in my "abnormal psychology" class.....and I found it to be very interesting...so I went and bought it.

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/26/05 at 9:32 pm

Definitely. I watched it for an English class assignment in 2002 I think - no matter how frightening it got in places, it was impossible NOT to watch it. Really eye-opening on tons of levels.

I like Edward Norton too - though this was quite a change of pace from his role in Detriot Rock City!

;D

Yeah, he is just like a train wreck, you can't not watch him in that film.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/26/05 at 9:55 pm

Seven is a creepy film.

Written By: Howard on 07/27/05 at 6:23 pm

Nightmare On Elm Street

Halloween H20

Written By: Dagwood on 07/27/05 at 6:36 pm

I forgot about Amityville Horror and The Exorcist.  Two movies I will never watch again.

Written By: Powerslave on 07/27/05 at 6:42 pm

Do you guys remember some scary movie about Scarecrows? I saw this movie in the early 90's at a friend's sleepover party.

It was called "Scarecrows", one of the best horror films ever. If it's the one I'm thinking of, some AWOL ex-Marines who've stolen a military payroll skydive into a vast cornfield and the scarecrows kill them off, one by one. Really, really atmospheric and creepy film.

"Saw" was great, and I agree about "Primal Fear". One of my favourite films.

Also: "Suspiria"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/27/05 at 10:01 pm

I forgot about Amityville Horror and The Exorcist.  Two movies I will never watch again.

How could I forget The Exorcist?  Definitely waaaay creepy.  Loved it!  The original, mind you, none of that sequel rubbish.  Amityville Horror failed to creep me out for three reasons:
1. The entire story was bogus.
2. As a fictional account, it had none of the suspense and psychological horror required to be truly creepy, IMO.
3. James Brolin is a cheeeeesy actor!

Oh, here are a couple of other creepy movies:

El Topo (Alajandro Jodorowsky, say no more!)
Ghost Story (Fred Astaire's last picture, you should see it if you can find it.)

Written By: Dagwood on 07/27/05 at 11:08 pm

Ghost Story (Fred Astaire's last picture, you should see it if you can find it.)

Seen it.  Great movie. :)

Written By: A.B. on 07/27/05 at 11:22 pm

When I was a kid:

The Gremlins- I was absolutely frightened of the first movie. One time at the cinemas I cried my eyes out after seeing a cardboard display of Gizmo's head popping in and out of a drawer and a Gremlin's hand poking out from a chair, holding a cigar. But I love them now.

E.T.- That part when Elliot is in the tall grass, inspecting whatever's out there and he sees E.T. and E.T. makes that weird screeching noise, with his chest all lit up...still kinda freaks me out. They ruined it in the updated version...wasn't scary at all.

War Games- That movie with a young Matthew Broderick as the main character. Don't know what was scary about it, but I got my first nightmares after seeing it, so I just connected the nightmares with the movie.

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/27/05 at 11:45 pm

Now, two films that didn't so much creep me out, but really upset me were..

Johnny Got His Gun ~ I watched it because of the Video for Metallica's 'One'.. that was a horrific film.

Beyond the Mat ~ It basically ruined any images i had of my hero's. I see them in a different light now, not as Icons and Legends, but as normal men, going the extra mile. In some ways, it's almost a better way to see them.. in other way's.. I wish i had kept the innocence.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 07/28/05 at 10:39 am

Everybody...SCREAM!  :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/28/05 at 2:58 pm

Another one that was somewhat freaky was: Ghost Ship....especially the very first part of the movie.

Written By: Howard on 07/28/05 at 2:58 pm

Scream 1 & 2

The Exorcist

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/29/05 at 3:01 pm

E.T.- That part when Elliot is in the tall grass, inspecting whatever's out there and he sees E.T. and E.T. makes that weird screeching noise, with his chest all lit up...still kinda freaks me out. They ruined it in the updated version...wasn't scary at all.

I thougth it was LAME how they deleted the famous "penis breath" line in the updated version.  Anyway, it's not like I was gonna watch the updated version anyway.

The first "Halloween" movie creeped me out for reasns fairly obvious to anyone who has seen it.    Wes Craven's voodoo movie "The Serpent and the Rainbow" was really creepy.  I haven't seen it came out, so I don't remember exactly what it was.

Pink Floyd's "The Wall" has some pretty disturbing animation sequences, whether you're watching it inebriated or sober.

The snakes scene in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" gave me the willies because I'm such an ophidiophobe!
Why does the floor move?
Asps! Very dangerous, you go first.

I saw the movies The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Liquid Sky at too early an age.  Both creeped me out.  When I saw Liquid Sky later on, I thought it was cool, though a little on the cheesy side.  Later when I saw "Rocky Horror" in college it creeped me out again, this time because I realized the movie was merely assanine and puerile, and the fans were a bunch of dorks.

Another flick wasn't ready for at the age of fourteen was Monty Python's The Meaning of Life.  Mr. Creosote's projectile vomiting and explosion was a big gross out, but "Live Organ Transplants" was downright horrifying (but too funny at the same time!)  The sex ed. scene was too much for me.  John Cleese plays the schoolmaster.  He starts off asking really graphic questions to the class, and then Patricia Quinn (playing his wife) comes in and they have sex in front of the entire class...all of whom are bored and not paying attention (that's the joke basically).  The scene got me, um, aroused, because Quinn was hot in a MILF kind of way.  But the fact that John Cleese was riding her....
:P

Written By: Howard on 07/29/05 at 3:04 pm

Child's Play

The Haunting

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/30/05 at 12:19 am

The Omen
Rosemary's Baby
The Exorcist
Halloween 3(though I still like it and watch it)
Hell Night
Jaws

and believe it or not...THE DAY AFTER...any thought of World War III aka Armageddon freaks me out! :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/30/05 at 1:23 am

The Omen
Rosemary's Baby
The Exorcist
Halloween 3(though I still like it and watch it)
Hell Night
Jaws

and believe it or not...THE DAY AFTER...any thought of World War III aka Armageddon freaks me out! :o

"The Day After" was scarier in 1983 when nuclear war with the USSR was a possibility.  The creepiest aspects of that movie for me were the ones depicting post-holocaust social breakdown.  For example, the despondency, the fighting for rations and water, and especially at the end when Jason Robards' character finds the ruins of his house.  He starts screaming at the people camping there to GET OUT!  Then the man offers him a morsel of food, and Robards breaks down and ends with his head against the man's chest and sobbing.  There the film ends.
They warned us in school the movie could be very "traumatic."  It was quite controversial.  However, I thought the film didn't depict the devastation well enough!  The film's epilogue says the same thing, the aftermath of a real nuclear war would be WORSE!

A much more realistic and terrifying film on the same subject came out about the same time in Britain.  It was called "Threads."  I highly recommend it.  It WILL freak you out!
:o

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/30/05 at 10:03 am

The Day After is a creepy movie. I hope that never happens.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/30/05 at 10:15 am

Day After was very creepy.  I have also seen Threads.  I spent the 80's scared to death of nuclear war. :o

Written By: CSM1986 on 07/31/05 at 12:21 am

I'm Surprised no one has Mentioned "Stephen King's IT" from 1990

http://horrortalk.com/reviews/IT/creepfest5.jpg
http://horrortalk.com/reviews/IT/pennybigcheese.jpg
http://horrortalk.com/reviews/IT/pennypoint.jpg
http://horrortalk.com/reviews/IT/pennywisesheet3.jpg

Remember Pennywise?  :D

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/31/05 at 12:50 am

*Gasp*

OMFG OMFG OMFG!!!  :o :o :o :o :o

I HATE clowns  >:( They fill me with indescribable rage and horror...all at the same time!!! *Girlish scream*

But yeah, that movie sucked. Scared the crap out of me.

Beth

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/31/05 at 12:54 am

Speaking of films that creeped me out in a bad way, "The Ice Storm", especially the scenes with Christina Ricci in it. The Nixon mask, sleeping with a 13-yead old boy. I won't give away the endng, but I will say Sigourney Weaver would win Mother of the Year in this film.

The director's cut of "The Butterfly Effect", which the ending is quite different from the theatrical version.Both versions are available on DVD. All I can say about the director's cut is that Ashton Kutcher's character "doesn't even exist".Creepy.

And "Freeway", that "Little Red Riding Hood" film with Reese Witherspoon and Keifer Sutherland. Chockful of sex, violence and all out meanness.

Creeped me out in a bad way:
The Last Exit to Brooklyn (the gang rape scene)
Wild At Heart (Blue Velvet worked because it was good versus evil, WAH was evil versus evil, that bugged me.)
Traffic (the movie is terrific, I just can't watch the teenage crackhead doing the evil drug dealer.  Too much.)
A Room With A View (E.M. Forster, James Ivory--too much cotton candy will make anybody sick!)
For the Love of Benji (the vivisection sequence)

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/31/05 at 12:55 am

Tim Curry has got to be the scariest, creepiest man on the planet.  :-\\

*Gasp*

OMFG OMFG OMFG!!!  :o :o :o :o :o

I HATE clowns  >:( They fill me with indescribable rage and horror...all at the same time!!! *Girlish scream*

But yeah, that movie sucked. Scared the crap out of me.

Beth

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/05 at 4:07 am

Tim Curry has got to be the scariest, creppiest man on the planet.  :-\\
The scariest, creppiest man on the planet has to Christopher Lee.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/31/05 at 4:12 am

mwwahhaa   :o

Agreed - but that clown upthere ^  is seriously spooky

also ERASERHEAD - (David Lynch)

was creepy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/05 at 4:15 am

Visually
http://swilley7.150m.com/christopher.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/05 at 4:17 am

mwwahhaa   :o

Agreed - but that clown upthere ^  is seriously spooky

also ERASERHEAD - (David Lynch)

was creepy.
http://www.musicman.com/00pic/eraserhead.jpg

Written By: CSM1986 on 07/31/05 at 4:27 am

I'm Sorry, but Nothing is More Creepier than Tim Curry, especially dressed as a Clown

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/05 at 4:33 am

I'm Sorry, but Nothing is More Creepier than Tim Curry, especially dressed as a Clown
The same Tim Curry?
http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/j/Tim%20Curry.jpg

Written By: jiminy on 07/31/05 at 5:32 am

when i was about 10 years old dad took my sister and i to the movies, he let me choose the movie and it was called The Late Great Planet Earth, we walked out less then half way through it

Written By: Powerslave on 07/31/05 at 7:46 am

The director's cut of "The Butterfly Effect", which the ending is quite different from the theatrical version.Both versions are available on DVD. All I can say about the director's cut is that Ashton Kutcher's character "doesn't even exist".Creepy.

Oh yeah. What a great ending. One of the best endings ever.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/31/05 at 8:01 am

Christopher Walken will always have that title in my book.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/05 at 8:10 am

Christopher Walken will always have that title in my book.
Christopher Walken in the Deerhunter was involved in one of my heart-stopping moments in film.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/31/05 at 12:06 pm

Thanks CSM and Stephen King for giving me nightmares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :o  ;D

Can't sleep, clown will eat me, can't sleep clown will eat me, can't sleep clown will eat me...  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/31/05 at 12:10 pm

The Serpent and The Rainbow is way up there too...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/31/05 at 12:42 pm

Halloween 3 with the bad guy, Cochran was his last name, attempting to control kids' minds via Halloween masks with microchips on them, and that commercial that was supposed to activate them, and Cochran's sicko plan..oh yeah the Silver Shamrock chant..."Two more days till Halloween....Silver Shamrock"

Thank God that type of mind control isn't possible..yet.

and the guy calling the TV stations telling them DON'T RUN THAT COMMERCIAL..

That movie freaked me out. Bigtime.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/31/05 at 12:47 pm

Arachnophobia gives me the creepy crawlies whenever the spiders are crawling all over someone :(
What is in that movie, the stuff about tarantulas, is largely UNTRUE.

Tarantulas are SOLITARY creatures,they live and hunt alone rather than in groups.

Most tarantulas' venom is non-lethal to humans,the notable exception being the funnelweb spiders from Australia.

And yes there are people who actually like them,and keep them as pets.

Written By: whitewolf on 07/31/05 at 3:39 pm

Any film that has dead people come to life.

The juggler vein also freaked me out, well not really the movie but what happened after that.

We watched that one night when our parents were out(otherwise they wouldn't have let us) they came home way after we went to bed. They brought a black cat home with them, I was the first to get up the next morning, walking up the stairs and a cat jumps at me-everyone else was woken up pretty quick. ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/31/05 at 9:28 pm

Any film that has dead people come to life.

Now that you mention it, "Night of the Living Dead" the 1990 version, scared me when I saw it on TV a few years back. I'd never seen it before, and I was already 17 or 18 but it didn't matter - still kept me on the edge of my seat. It was a good movie, though -- that made me NEVER want to live in the countryside! ;D

BTW, a little unrelated, but was the original 1968 version scarier than that remake?

Written By: Dagwood on 07/31/05 at 9:29 pm

I thought the original was much creepier.  It left more to the imagination.  I don't find blood and guts movies all that scary.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/31/05 at 9:48 pm

I thought the original was much creepier. It left more to the imagination. I don't find blood and guts movies all that scary.

Yeah, good point. To be honest, I find the "quiet" parts in horror movies scarier than the blood & guts itself - I think it's the mystery of not knowing what'll happen.

Oh, I forgot to say before, but the thing that creeped me out way more than anything else was the Alice in Wonderland video for Tom Petty's "Don't Come Around Here". :D

I taped it off a VH1 countdown special a few years back - I've now lost my place in the tape and forget what number it is. I'm almost afraid to look for it since I don't want it to "surprise" me, LOL!

Written By: Howard on 08/01/05 at 6:21 pm

http://nightmareonelmstreetfilms.com/image/nightmare2promo04.JPG

Written By: CSM1986 on 08/01/05 at 6:54 pm

You want more Creepy Images? Low and Behold The Demon...

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MMPH/24785~The-Exorcist.jpg

http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/WanadooFilms/Thriller/ExorcistRegan3.jpg

http://www.gruselromane.de/dateien/grusel-schocker/titelbildvergleiche/blair.jpg

http://www.horror-wood.com/EXORCISTHEADTWIST.jpg

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/01/05 at 7:48 pm

Oooooooooh.... an out creeping contest!  Here's my entry!  ;D

http://www.planetavp.com/amr/html/misc/Alien1.gif

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 08/01/05 at 7:50 pm

http://www.gruselromane.de/dateien/grusel-schocker/titelbildvergleiche/blair.jpg

Yeah. BAAD experiences with that movie.*shudders*

Beth

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/01/05 at 7:53 pm

The image might not be creepy, but the movie kind of was....

http://www.geocities.com/r_burgos2000/silentnight4.jpg

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 08/01/05 at 8:00 pm

A DAK named IT  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/05 at 1:29 am

Oooooooooh.... an out creeping contest!  Here's my entry!  ;D

http://www.planetavp.com/amr/html/misc/Alien1.gif
Alien was on TV the other night, I only watched the inteesting bits.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/05 at 3:36 pm

http://www.pitofhorror.com/features/childsplay.gif

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/05 at 3:37 pm

http://www.pitofhorror.com/features/childsplay.gif

That film has been banned here in the UK.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/05 at 3:38 pm

Why? Too Bloody?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/05 at 3:39 pm

Why? Too Bloody?
Something to do with a infamous child murder over here.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/05 at 3:40 pm

Something to do with a infamous child murder over here.

Was the child's name Chucky by any chance?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/05 at 3:41 pm

Was the child's name Chucky by any chance?
I was about to ask you?

Written By: Howard on 08/02/05 at 3:42 pm

I was about to ask you?

So you mean there was no Chucky murder case?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/05 at 3:44 pm

So you mean there was no Chucky murder case?
Please see my PM.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/05 at 3:48 pm

I'm sorry about what had happened.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/02/05 at 7:08 pm

'The sow is MINE! She is MINE!'...OMG what a creepy movie...I saw the edited version.. even that was sick!!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/02/05 at 7:14 pm

How about this one...Faces of Death!

Someone in the halfway house I was living in at the time got hold of it somehow...the staff actually let us watch it!

I can't believe mental-health counselors would allow that!

the execution scenes were really freaky..especially the man being disposed of via the electric chair. Now I know why the eyes of people executed via Old Sparky are taped over....

the movie had a beheading as well...

Written By: Satish on 08/02/05 at 7:28 pm

Event Horizon from 1997 is pretty creepy. It's about an unmanned space ship that disappears through a black hole, and then returns ten years later. A crew boards the ship to see what happened to it, and finds that it's haunted.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/02/05 at 7:40 pm

Event Horizon from 1997 is pretty creepy. It's about an unmanned space ship that disappears through a black hole, and then returns ten years later. A crew boards the ship to see what happened to it, and finds that it's haunted.

It's a creepy film.

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/02/05 at 7:51 pm

Looking at the "Exorcist" images, i remember somewhat a rumor about a projector malfunction in a DC theater that resulted in a frame to freeze of Ragan/Satan during the head-turning scene, causing mass hysteria (and even one death) among the moviegoers. If this is true, then this film goes to the top among the creepiest films. A word of caution: the first 15 minutes, where Father Merrin participates in a archeological dig in the Middle East has got to be the most boring scenes in a horror film ever. ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/02/05 at 8:22 pm

You see me a Exorcist, I'll raise ya a Omen.... the ending still creeps me out.  ::)  ;D

http://www.lixonline.com/omen.h4.jpg

Written By: Powerslave on 08/03/05 at 2:40 am

Most tarantulas' venom is non-lethal to humans,the notable exception being the funnelweb spiders from Australia.

Funnelweb spiders aren't tarantulas.

Written By: Howard on 08/03/05 at 6:09 pm

http://movies.about.com/library/graphics/theamityvillehorrorposter.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/03/05 at 6:26 pm

TonyStew,
thanks for the horrifying pics!  Those are great!

Howard,
If you haven't seen "Amityville Horror," don't bother, it's "real bad"!
::)

As I said earlier, the DeFeo (sp?) kid did kill his family in that house in the early '70s, but the supernatural events were 100% bogus.  Not one of them was true.  It was all fabrication.

As fiction, the movie doesn't work either.  It won't scare you if you are over the age fourteen.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/03/05 at 6:35 pm

If you really wanna be creeped out....

check out In The Mouth of Madness

http://yuchtar.users4.50megs.com/Gallery/Sam2.jpg

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/03/05 at 6:38 pm

It was Child's Play 3 that is banned in the UK, because of the infamous "Jamie Bulger" murder case, when a couple of kids bashed a kid to death, apparently they were inspired by the film.

http://www.thehotspotonline.com/moviespot/holly/c/chucky3.htm

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/03/05 at 6:40 pm

Alice Sweet Alice, Brooke Shields debut film, and she doesn't even survive the first reel. I was ready to recover from my nervous breakdown, and this film was showing late nights on Channel 4. That whole family was creepy, not just Alice. Considering (like the Exorcist) the Catholic theme and the horrifying Latin soundtrack, insomnia inducing.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/03/05 at 6:52 pm

Poltergeist is way up there too...

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/mgm/poltergeist/_group_photos/jobeth_williams2.jpg

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/mgm/poltergeist/jobeth_williams/poltergeist3.jpg

Written By: Dagwood on 08/03/05 at 7:14 pm

As I said earlier, the DeFeo (sp?) kid did kill his family in that house in the early '70s, but the supernatural events were 100% bogus. Not one of them was true. It was all fabrication.

As fiction, the movie doesn't work either. It won't scare you if you are over the age fourteen.

It creeped me out, the original that is.  I heard the remake was trash.  I guess you have to be in the mood to be creeped out.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/03/05 at 7:15 pm

The Amityville Horror isn't creepy... want creepy?  Try The Shining!

Written By: Dagwood on 08/03/05 at 7:17 pm

To me Amityville was worse than The Shining.  I loved the Shining.  Stephen King is a favorite of mine.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/03/05 at 7:31 pm

Funnelweb spiders aren't tarantulas.
They are related to tarantulas.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/03/05 at 7:46 pm

To me Amityville was worse than The Shining.  I loved the Shining.  Stephen King is a favorite of mine.

"Darling. Light, of my life. I'm not gonna hurt ya. You didn't let me finish my sentence. I said, I'm not gonna hurt ya. I'm just gonna bash your brains in. I'm gonna bash 'em right the **** in. Ha, ha. "

The scene creeps me out....  ::)  ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 08/03/05 at 10:07 pm

The scene with the chopped up twins really got me. **shudder**

Written By: Powerslave on 08/04/05 at 12:28 am

Those weren't staged....they are real.  There are also multiple (I think 9) different parts to the "series".  Don't remember which "part" it was in, but I remember a monkey being put in the middle of a table (stockade style) and his head being bashed in by people sitting around it with hammers and them eating the brains.  It's some pretty sick shiit...

A lot of the "scenes" from Faces of Death are only reconstructions of actual events. From snopes.com: "the Faces Of Death series, a sequence of six videos made up of footage of accidents, suicides, autopsies, and executions, liberally peppered with outright fake scenes. Most of the actual death scenes shown in these films are of the post-death variety. The multiple camera angles give away the acted-out nature of many of the most compelling scenes."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/04/05 at 1:32 am

The Amityville Horror isn't creepy... want creepy?  Try The Shining!

One of my all-time favorites.  "The Shining" is one of those rare horror movies that gets scarier every time you watch it.  At least, that's what I've found. 
Incidentally, the East Side Digital label has released Wendy Carlos's incidental music for "The Shining" on a couple of different CDs.  Disc One includes the music behind the single eeriest incident, Jack's encounter with the lady in the bath.  It's entitled "Heartbeats and Worry" on the CD.

http://www.noside.com/esd/

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/04/05 at 2:14 am

One of my all-time favorites.  "The Shining" is one of those rare horror movies that gets scarier every time you watch it.  At least, that's what I've found. 
Incidentally, the East Side Digital label has released Wendy Carlos's incidental music for "The Shining" on a couple of different CDs.  Disc One includes the music behind the single eeriest incident, Jack's encounter with the lady in the bath.  It's entitled "Heartbeats and Worry" on the CD.

http://www.noside.com/esd/

Definitely does. I'm not sure why, but I think one thing that makes the Shining scary is that it veers back and forth so much, so you never know what to expect from Nicholson. One minute you think he's a nice guy who just has a bit of a temper, in the next minute he's pure evil.

The rural location of the motel also added to its scariness IMO.

SPOILERS:

I could swear there's two different endings to this - the "sadder" one is usually shown on TV though it seems - where Jack burns down the hotel with himself in it in order to rid it of the "evil". They later flash in on Danny grown up and about to graduate high school - his dad is there in spirit to congradulate him. That was a nice ending to an otherwise depressing movie.

However, I'm sure I once saw another slightly different ending where Dick succesfully manages to get Danny and his mom out safely. I forget what happens after that.

Written By: Powerslave on 08/04/05 at 3:02 am

SPOILERS:

I could swear there's two different endings to this - the "sadder" one is usually shown on TV though it seems - where Jack burns down the hotel with himself in it in order to rid it of the "evil". They later flash in on Danny grown up and about to graduate high school - his dad is there in spirit to congradulate him. That was a nice ending to an otherwise depressing movie.

However, I'm sure I once saw another slightly different ending where Dick succesfully manages to get Danny and his mom out safely. I forget what happens after that.

Are we still talking about The Shining? Because I don't remember either of those endings.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/04/05 at 11:06 am

Those weren't staged....they are real. There are also multiple (I think 9) different parts to the "series". Don't remember which "part" it was in, but I remember a monkey being put in the middle of a table (stockade style) and his head being bashed in by people sitting around it with hammers and them eating the brains. It's some pretty sick shiit...
I know it was not staged. but it was gross-out nonetheless. I wonder what sickos ever concieved the series...or decided to release it!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/04/05 at 11:10 am

A lot of the "scenes" from Faces of Death are only reconstructions of actual events. From snopes.com: "the Faces Of Death series, a sequence of six videos made up of footage of accidents, suicides, autopsies, and executions, liberally peppered with outright fake scenes. Most of the actual death scenes shown in these films are of the post-death variety. The multiple camera angles give away the acted-out nature of many of the most compelling scenes."
Why the h*LL it was ever released I will never fathom..pure gross- out disgusting.As was the fact that 'happy' music was played for some of the scenes!

Written By: Apricot on 08/04/05 at 1:59 pm

I guess FearDotCom was unsettling.. I mean, as unsettling as a horror movie can really be to me.. I just don't get un-nerved anymore.. maybe I've built up a tolerance to grisly images and sado-masochism... I know some people who still have to look away and flinch and sometimes, even having done all that, STILL cry.

Snuff films? I've watched a few, and knew they were fake.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 08/04/05 at 4:26 pm

http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/13/35/31m.jpg

"RETURN OF THE INSANE "X""

...That one WAS scary!

Beth :o

Written By: Howard on 08/04/05 at 4:32 pm

"RETURN OF THE INSANE "X""

...That one WAS scary!

Beth :o

must be a very scary movie.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/04/05 at 4:39 pm

must be a very scary movie.

LOL!

Just do that three times and it'll be a "XXX" movie.

I think Howard's sense of humor is rubbing off on me! ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 08/04/05 at 5:45 pm

SPOILERS:

That was the remake.  It follows the book more closely than the original.  It was made for TV a couple of years ago.  The hotel blew up because of the boiler not being properly taken care of.  If I remember right, Stephen King wrote the screenplay for the remake.  He wasn't happy with the artistic license taken in the original.  Steven Webber and Rebecca DeMornay played Jack and Wendy, if I remember right.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118460/

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/04/05 at 9:10 pm

Alien also freaked me out...so did Stephen King's ROSE RED(an ABC network miniseries)...

How about the movie FLATLINERS...the NDE(Near death experiences)that were depicted freaked me out!

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 08/04/05 at 9:11 pm

Alien also freaked me out...so did Stephen King's ROSE RED(an ABC network miniseries)...

How about the movie FLATLINERS...the NDE(Near death experiences)that were depicted freaked me out!

Is Tony Stewart REALLY the man?

Beth ???

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/04/05 at 11:19 pm

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/04/05 at 11:28 pm

That was the remake.  It follows the book more closely than the original.  It was made for TV a couple of years ago.  The hotel blew up because of the boiler not being properly taken care of.  If I remember right, Stephen King wrote the screenplay for the remake.  He wasn't happy with the artistic license taken in the original.  Steven Webber and Rebecca DeMornay played Jack and Wendy, if I remember right.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118460/

I will avoid that TV version.  Sounds like BS even if SK wrote it.
There was an ending sequence cut from the original in which Wendy is recovering in the hospital, and Danny is out in the waiting room bouncing a ball...the SAME ball that rolls out at him from Room 237.  A nurse walks by who appears to be the same woman as the dead old lady in the bath!
I'm glad they decided to cut that part, it sounds like it would detract from the overall impact.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/04/05 at 11:31 pm

Remember... friends don't let friends watch really bad TV movies....  ::)

And yet it was bad...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/04/05 at 11:44 pm

I never watched them.  They were trendy when I was in high school.  No surprise they were faked.  It wasn't so easy back then to get grisly footage.

The internet is now rife with videos of people getting killed.  A lot of them are indeed real.  I watched a bunch of them out of curiosity.  They didn't disturb me as much as I thought they would.  The fact is our day to day lives are a membrane of pleasantness surrounded by death, savagery, and so horrible we don't even want to think of them...but they're out there.  Who knows what kind of carnage may be happening only a few miles from where you sit!  Muahahahaha!  Seriously, though, I didn't find videos of shop clerks getting gunned down or hostages behing decapitated pleasant, but I could deal with the reality that such horror goes on all the time, we just don't witness it.  But the fact that we don't witness it doesn't make it any less real.  See?

I've never seen snuff films of the sexual variety, but my morbid curiosity diid lead me to unmentionable sexual barbarism I've witnessed on the 'net.
The one series of pics I was hoping was fake was a couple naked and frolicking in the basement of a run-down house as they dismembered the body of a man and did unspeakable things with his severed bits.
A little researched turned up the chilling fact that these photos were evidence from a real crime.  It happened in Detroit in 1982.  A druggie biker chick and another druggie biker dude killed the chick's boyfriend for revenge.  They then spent a few days going crazy on PCP and amphetamines as they pursued an orgy of sex and carnage worthy of Caligula!  Being the smart criminals they were, they took pictures.  I don't know who got their hands on the pics to post them on the 'net, though.
They got caught and put in jail.  That was over 20 years ago and they're out of prison now!
:o :o

Written By: Powerslave on 08/05/05 at 12:23 am

Max, that snippet from snopes.com that I quoted there is, ironically, from their article about snuff films. In it, they conclude that "snuff" films -- where someone is murdered on film for the sexual gratification of the viewer -- are still only the stuff of legend and edgy Nicolas Cage films.

Written By: Powerslave on 08/05/05 at 12:31 am

That was the remake.  It follows the book more closely than the original.  It was made for TV a couple of years ago.  The hotel blew up because of the boiler not being properly taken care of.  If I remember right, Stephen King wrote the screenplay for the remake.  He wasn't happy with the artistic license taken in the original. 

Ah ok. Well that would explain it. I can understand King being upset with Kubrick's version, especially the part where he never bothers to explain exactly what "The Shining" is, but come on. It was Kubrick, the master of auteur. Plus, it was better than any version King himself could have made.

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/05/05 at 11:15 am

You must be speaking about 8MM, which starred Cage and James Gandolfini. That kinds creeped me out, too. I'll never forget the expression on the old woman's face when she finds out about the girl being murdered on tape. :\'(
Max, that snippet from snopes.com that I quoted there is, ironically, from their article about snuff films. In it, they conclude that "snuff" films -- where someone is murdered on film for the sexual gratification of the viewer -- are still only the stuff of legend and edgy Nicolas Cage films.

Written By: Powerslave on 08/05/05 at 11:28 am

You must be speaking about 8MM, which starred Cage and James Gandolfini. That kinds creeped me out, too. I'll never forget the expression on the old woma's face when she finds out about the girl being murdered on tape. :\'(

Yeah. A great movie actually, but very creepy.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/05 at 2:54 pm

LOL!

Just do that three times and it'll be a "XXX" movie.

I think Howard's sense of humor is rubbing off on me! ;D

Yeah,maybe it is. ;D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/05/05 at 7:58 pm

Is Tony Stewart REALLY the man?

Beth ???
Yes! he's my fave NASCAR driver....

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/05/05 at 8:27 pm

Tony Stewart creeps me out.  ;D
But to each his own.

Yes! he's my fave NASCAR driver....

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/06/05 at 4:07 pm

Tony Stewart creeps me out. ;D
But to each his own.
Why? He's not all that bad....

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/07/05 at 12:47 pm

CARRIE!!
"Get in the closet and PRAY!"..Carrie's mom was one h*ll of a nutjob..

The ALIEN movies...the first one..the scene where the sickening thing comes out of the guy's chest!!

Also John Carpenter's PRINCE OF DARKNESS!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/07/05 at 12:51 pm

CARRIE!!

The ALIEN movies...the first one..the scene where the sickening thing comes out of the guy's chest!!

Also John Carpenter's PRINCE OF DARKNESS!

Prince of Darkness is more weird than scary, in my opinon.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 08/07/05 at 1:09 pm

CARRIE!!

Dude, when Carrie was killing everyone at the end of the movie. I couldn't help but feel victorious. I was so rooting for her the whole time.

Beth

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/05 at 1:11 pm

Dude, when Carrie was killing everyone at the end of the movie. I couldn't help but feel victorious. I was so rooting for her the whole time.

Beth
I saw one of the first public screening of Carrie in the cinema when it first opened, I know it was Stephen King, but knew nothing of the content of the film other than Brian de Palma (the director) shot it in the style a-la Hitchcock.

Written By: Howard on 08/07/05 at 5:29 pm

http://dyn.ifilm.com/resize/image/stills/films/a/105783_m_1_a_.jpg?width=144

Hello Mary Lou Prom Night 2

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/07/05 at 6:19 pm

http://dyn.ifilm.com/resize/image/stills/films/a/105783_m_1_a_.jpg?width=144

Hello Mary Lou Prom Night 2

I though it was chessy.. it least it's better than part 3.  ::)

Written By: Powerslave on 08/07/05 at 8:46 pm

Part IV is worse.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/07/05 at 8:47 pm

Part IV is worse.

Now that is scary.....

Scary bad.....

Written By: NullandVoid on 08/07/05 at 10:32 pm

Total Eclipse
I'm not homophobic or anything but the sight of Leonard Dicaprio having simulated relations with an old dude just rubbed me the wrong way. :P

Written By: JT1972 on 08/07/05 at 10:39 pm

Total Eclipse
I'm not homophobic or anything but the sight of Leonard Dicaprio having simulated relations with an old dude just rubbed me the wrong way. :P

In the same way "Boys Don't Cry" creeped me out...
On a scarier side of things "Silence of the Lambs"

Both left me with a weird feeling....... :o

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/08/05 at 11:51 am

You never know which Tony Stewart will appear: the mean scowling hot-head of old or the new Tony Stewart. Just give it time when he's losing again and he'll show his true colors. 8)
Why? He's not all that bad....

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/09/05 at 10:06 pm

You never know which Tony Stewart will appear: the mean scowling hot-head of old or the new Tony Stewart. Just give it time when he's losing again and he'll show his true colors. 8)
I still like Tony Stewart. There were a few other aggressive, un-PC drivers in NASCAR...Cale Yarbourough...the Allisons...even Crusty Rusty has been in a few scrapes. But all some people seem to remember is Tony Stewart...and Kurt Busch...both who have mellowed out somewhat.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/09/05 at 10:08 pm

Flatliners...my roommate is watching it right now.

But the possibliity of NDE's aka near death experiences is fascinating...

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/17/06 at 3:30 pm

Since we're talking about creepy movies, has anyone seen "Silent Hill" the movie? Is it just another bad translation of a video game, or did it do somewhat well? For a time it was the #1 movie in the US but then suddenly disappeared.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/17/06 at 10:07 pm

WINTER SOLDIER

This bad boy was banned by the U.S. government for over thirty years. It did win a Cannes film festival award in 1972, but the U.S. government did not and still does not want you to see it.

John Kerry is in it briefly, and of course, certain powerful people whipped up a conspiracy theory about the commies being behind the whole thing, but I would leave that for a Politics board thread.

The film is a documentary made in 1971 of Vietnam veterans testifying about war atrocities. There are a few horrifying still photos from the war to illustrate some vets' accounts of what they experienced, however, most of the film is just a stark black-and-white documentary of vets telling their side of the story.

Forget about "Saving Private Ryan," "Platoon," "Full Metal Jacket," or any of that Hollywood drama. "Winter Soldier" conveys the horror of war much better, and uses only words!

Written By: KKay on 05/17/06 at 10:09 pm

The Believers, Bad Arnold, Carrie, Dark Night of the Scarecrow...

Written By: Tia on 05/17/06 at 10:11 pm

i just saw "poseidon" and for an action flick that's got some disturbing stuff in it. watery grave? NO THANK YOU!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/17/06 at 10:52 pm

The Believers is realllllly creepy film, and so is Angel Heart.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/17/06 at 11:39 pm

Rosemary's Baby

(caution: spoiler)

What makes this one reeeeaaallly creepy is not the occult plot, but the core theme throughout the film: betrayal. It is one of the most horrible experiences to be betrayed by people you love and people you trust.

That friendly couple of old eccentrics next door? They lead a coven of satanic witches. Your loving husband sells your child to the witches at the moment of its conception so they may bring forth the anti-christ. And for what? He does it to further his acting career! Dr. Sapirstein, the eminent obstetrician and such a nice man, he's a witch too! It's just one betrayal of Rosemary after another. Even Dr. Hill, the other obstetrician, inadvertantly betrays Rosemary because her story sounds to whacky to believe. She claims Hill's eminent colleague, Abraham Sapirstein is a witch! Just when Rosemary thinks she is out of danger, and reclining in Dr. Hill's examining room, it turns out Dr. Hill has phoned Dr. Sapirstein, and was like, "what's going on with this lady?" Saperstein, of course,  runs a line on Hill that Rosemary is nutso. Next scene you see her husband, the witch neighbors, and Sapirstein (carrying a syringe full of sedative) stroll right through the curtain...
To me, that was always the creepiest moment in the film!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/18/06 at 12:02 pm

Since we're talking about creepy movies, has anyone seen "Silent Hill" the movie? Is it just another bad translation of a video game, or did it do somewhat well? For a time it was the #1 movie in the US but then suddenly disappeared.

I was just going to post this movie...it definitely creeped me out.

Written By: KKay on 12/18/06 at 12:07 pm

Happiness.

Written By: Snoopygirl on 12/18/06 at 5:02 pm

Day of the dead...those zombies really got to me
The Exorcist
Trilogy of Terror...the Zuni doll...enough said
Saw
Bad Ronald...70s made for tv movie...just the thought of someone living in your walls...
Children of the Corn

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/18/06 at 9:10 pm

Fright Night

The only thing that freak me out Halloween 3, was how bad it was.  ::)  ;D

Written By: Tia on 12/18/06 at 10:51 pm

LOVE halloween 3. it's a work of almost perfect idiocy. i didn't think anything could top it till battlefield earth came out.

anyone ever see "A Company of Wolves"? very weird alice in wonderland-meet-labyrinth arty movie from the mid 80s. i loved it in that morbid ass way.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IS2u8PE4j2o

Written By: KKay on 12/19/06 at 8:25 am

although there is nothing scary about Chap Stick, Mothman Prophecies was slightly chilling...but i was only scared of the voice on the phone.

let's not even talk about "White Noise"

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/19/06 at 9:02 am

although there is nothing scary about Chap Stick, Mothman Prophecies was slightly chilling...but i was only scared of the voice on the phone.

let's not even talk about "White Noise"

Mothman Prophecies was definitely creepy! I loved that movie though.

Written By: spaceace on 12/19/06 at 10:50 am

Any movie with Burt Reynolds.  I have nightmares for days. :P

Written By: ralfy on 10/07/16 at 4:05 am

One of my choices:

"Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Seconds by Faking Your Own Death (Or Just Watch the Movie)"

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/10/05/it_s_the_50th_anniversary_of_john_frankenheimer_s_seconds.html

Written By: YuYuYuuki on 02/27/17 at 4:33 pm

I remember some parts of the first Spiderman movie being tense for 5 year old me.

Check for new replies or respond here...