inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sweet home Ala...chusetts?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/05 at 7:53 pm

I wish I'd gone down the road a piece to Easthampton this week.  If I had, I could have seen the state road signs bearing the outline of Alabama right here in Massachusetts.  Things get kinda slow around here in the summer, I must admit!
Per the article, the contractor in charge of ordering the new signs used the sample road sign in his manual, Alabama highway 21, and said "here's what I want our signs to look like."  Why no one asked why they were sending Alabama signs to Massachusetts is beyond me!

http://www.masslive.com/newsflash/mass/index.ssf?/base/news-19/1122388142222160.xml&storylist=massnews

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2005/07/26/1122355586_3568.jpg

Subject: Re: Sweet home Ala...chusetts?

Written By: SpaceHog on 07/26/05 at 8:52 pm

they are talking about this on MTR.  I am a member of MTR.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/05 at 8:53 pm

they are talking about this on MTR.  I am a member of MTR.

What's MTR?
???

Written By: Mushroom on 07/26/05 at 10:10 pm

I wish I'd gone down the road a piece to Easthampton this week.  If I had, I could have seen the state road signs bearing the outline of Alabama right here in Massachusetts.  Things get kinda slow around here in the summer, I must admit!
Per the article, the contractor in charge of ordering the new signs used the sample road sign in his manual, Alabama highway 21, and said "here's what I want our signs to look like."  Why no one asked why they were sending Alabama signs to Massachusetts is beyond me!

It's an invasion Maxwell!  Those of us in the Southern Red States are making a power-play and attempting to subvert the Northern Blue States.  This way we can add the Electoral Votes of Mass to those of Alabama in the 2008 Presidential Elections.

But drat, we were discovered.  Now we will have to resort to plan B, adding a special "Red State Flouride" to everybodies drinking water.  :D

Written By: jiminy on 07/26/05 at 10:16 pm

http://www.masslive.com/newsflash/mass/index.ssf?/base/news-19/1122388142222160.xml&storylist=massnews

not very authentic... no bullet holes

Written By: SpaceHog on 07/27/05 at 7:53 am

What's MTR?
???

Misc.Transport.Road

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/27/05 at 10:06 am

not very authentic... no bullet holes

I thought that was more of an Oklahoma thing!

RnR fan wrote
It's an invasion Maxwell!  Those of us in the Southern Red States are making a power-play and attempting to subvert the Northern Blue States.  This way we can add the Electoral Votes of Mass to those of Alabama in the 2008 Presidential Elections.

But drat, we were discovered.  Now we will have to resort to plan B, adding a special "Red State Flouride" to everybodies drinking water. 

That's why I drink only rainwater and pure grain alcohol!
;)
Y'all used to drive around with those bumper stickers, "Save that Confederate money, boys, the South is gonna rise again!"  Sure did, it rose all the way up to Massachusetts that time.
BTW, they're sending the new Paul Revere statue to Tuscaloosa!

Written By: bj26 on 07/27/05 at 12:16 pm

Max, do those signs get you mixed up so you think you're in 'Bama sometimes until the locals start talking with their thick accents.  You must feel like you're in the Twilight Zone ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/27/05 at 1:08 pm

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:sPhy-40Q-OcJ:www.mochokocho.com/10_29_1.JPEG

:D :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 07/28/05 at 1:50 pm

Y'all used to drive around with those bumper stickers, "Save that Confederate money, boys, the South is gonna rise again!"  Sure did, it rose all the way up to Massachusetts that time.

What do you mean, "Y'all"?  I am actually a California boy, born and raised (in addition to being raised in Idaho).  I only moved here in 2003, so I am still considered a "Johnny Come Lately".

Actually, they still do not know what to make of me.  When I moved here, I had hair down to the small of my back, California plates on a full size 1974 Ford van, was an open critic of "Klukkers", and went camping all the time so I could "get in touch with nature".  A lot of them thought I was the advance guard of a "Hippy Invasion".

Then last June I cut off all my hair, and then late last year retired my van, now going around on a CB900 sportbike.  My hair has regrown a bit, now inching below my collar.  I still go camping, which is an interesting site to see me on a sportbike with all the camping gear strapped to the back.  I still wear mostly cotton clothes, only the tennis shoes have moved to the side, a pair of motorcycle boots being much more practicle (in addition to safer) with my new transportation.

After almost 3 years, I am still an outspoken critic of "Klukkers".  I will still shun and even vocally comment when somebody uses disgusting or offensive names around me.  I still say "Sir", "Ma'am", and "Miss", but since I have done that all my life that is nothing unusual down here.  I am still this curious blend of "Deep South" and "California Hippie", and that is just how I like it.  :)

The South may rise again someday.  And when it does, I will probably have to find somewhere else to move to, like maybe Eastern Oregon.

Written By: bj26 on 07/28/05 at 2:05 pm

What do you mean, "Y'all"?  I am actually a California boy, born and raised (in addition to being raised in Idaho).  I only moved here in 2003, so I am still considered a "Johnny Come Lately".

I worked up in the north Georgia mountains one Summer and don't think I heard anyone say "y'all" even once!  My friend Benny (reputed to be the strongest man in N. Georgia) said he wanted to visit Idaho someday, he pronounced it I-dee-ho.  You just made me think of this ;D

Written By: Mushroom on 07/28/05 at 4:23 pm

I worked up in the north Georgia mountains one Summer and don't think I heard anyone say "y'all" even once!  My friend Benny (reputed to be the strongest man in N. Georgia) said he wanted to visit Idaho someday, he pronounced it I-dee-ho.  You just made me think of this ;D

Well, there is one pronunciation that drives me crazy.  It is whenever somebody pronounces my former home as "BOY-zee".  Look people, there is no "Z" in Boise!  It is pronounced "BOY-see" (or more commonly by natives, "boysee", with only 1 syllable, or as 2 syllables with no discernable accent on either one).

"Y'all" is much more common in the more Northern "Southern States".  I heard it a lot more often in North Carolina then I ever have in Alabama.  The South has some notable differences in how people talk.  Alabama is a state of "Fast Talkers".  People here seem like they talk a mile a minute, and never pause for a breath.  North Carolina is a state of "Slow Talkers".  Just watch an episode of "Any Griffith" and you will find that out.  :)

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/29/05 at 1:55 pm

thats pretty funny  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/29/05 at 2:34 pm

What's a "klukker"?
???

Written By: Mushroom on 07/29/05 at 3:26 pm

What's a "klukker"?
???

It is a derogatory term I use for members of the Ku Klux Klan.  They are all such chickens**ts that they go around at night hiding themselves behind robes and hoods.  I see them as a bunch of backward inbred chickens, who would un-invent electricity if they thought it would get them their "dream country".

I mean, come on!  These idiots can't spell, and have not had an original thought since 1864.

Their bible is the "Kloran"
They follow the "Klan Kreed"
Their Chaplin is called "The Kludd"
Groups are known as "Klaverns" and "Klonklaves".
Their legislature is known as "Klongress"
They date things by "Anno Klan" (AK).  This is currently the year 139 AK

Feel free to check out this copy of the Kloran, that dates from the year 98 AK (1964 CE):

http://archive.lib.msu.edu/AFS/dmc/radicalism/public/all/kloranwhiteknights/AFE.pdf?CFID=34193&CFTOKEN=76076719

Written By: bj26 on 07/29/05 at 3:26 pm

lol :D

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 07/30/05 at 11:57 am

I definitely think there's a 'spiracy involved here!

Check for new replies or respond here...