inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I just can't get enough sudoku!

Written By: Satish on 07/31/05 at 7:51 pm

Is there anyone else here who absolutely loves playing sudoku? It's a puzzle game where players have to fill in numbers in a grid to meet a certain pattern. It appears daily in many newspapers, the same way that crossword puzzles do:

http://www.sudoku.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudoku
http://www.sudoku.org.uk/

I saw it for the first time in the newspaper a few weeks ago, and I'm totally hooked now! I often tear out the page that the puzzle is printed on and walk around during the day with the game in my hand, trying to solve it. I can spend hours playing it. It's just so addictive!

So far, I've solved almost all the sudoku puzzles I've come across, but there's been a few that have got by me. Oh well, guess you can't win em all...

Subject: Re: I just can't get enough sudoku!

Written By: EthanM on 07/31/05 at 9:47 pm

I looked at it and it seems like much more trouble than its worth

Written By: nally on 10/04/05 at 4:39 pm

I'm quite good at those puzzles...even the really tough ones :D I manage to solve every single one I start. You're supposed to fill in the grid so that every row, column, and 3x3 box contains the numbers 1 through 9.

Written By: jaytee on 10/04/05 at 8:11 pm

I hate 'em.  My eldest daughter is an addict  :o

Written By: EthanM on 10/04/05 at 8:23 pm

I tried them for a little bit, I did one of medium difficulty, and now I have retired from sudoku

Written By: nally on 10/04/05 at 10:47 pm

Has anyone ever seen the "Number place" puzzles in the Dell puzzle magazines? Sudoku is just like those.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/05 at 11:19 pm

http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/ARP/ARP105/snoring.jpg

Written By: Satish on 12/03/05 at 7:16 pm

I'm proud to say that I was just able to solve this particularly difficult sudoku puzzle here:

http://www.sudoku.org.uk/pdf/sudo2207.pdf

It took me about 4 hours, but I was able to do it! Yay for me!  :)

Written By: alyceclover on 12/03/05 at 7:34 pm

....takes me forever to do them, and when I finally think I've solved one, (where's the pulling out hair icon above, with apologies to any Trich sufferer's, if the expression is offensive to you),
frustrating!
>:(

Written By: Apricot on 12/03/05 at 10:31 pm

My math teacher was one of the first on this... I don't like them.

Written By: nally on 12/06/05 at 3:05 pm

My dad has started doing those puzzles lately. Often times when he's stuck on one, I'll finish it.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/06/05 at 4:36 pm

Although I love crossword, I've never tried the sudoku puzzles. I've never enjoyed working with numbers, and I'm afraid that if I tried one of those sudoku puzzles, this would happen to me:

http://www.indierag.com/content/reviews/images/anightmare/nightmare5.jpg

"MY HEAD A SPLODE"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/07/05 at 1:05 pm

I did one this morning and was thinking of posting a thread about them-but I see that someone has beaten me to the punch.  I like doing them-as well as crosswords, cryptoquotes, logic problems, etc, etc.  Yes, I like puzzles. It keeps the mind engaged.

Cat

Written By: nally on 12/07/05 at 1:16 pm

I've never enjoyed working with numbers,

I'm the total opposite. I've always enjoyed working with numbers.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/07/05 at 1:22 pm

Has anyone ever seen the "Number place" puzzles in the Dell puzzle magazines? Sudoku is just like those.

Is that the ones where you put the numbers in to add up to a certain #?  If so, I have done a few of those. Of course I need a calcalator to do those.  At least with Sudoku, you don't need to add.

Cat

Written By: nally on 12/07/05 at 1:23 pm

Is that the ones where you put the numbers in to add up to a certain #?

No, that's a "magic square."

With Sudoku, you need to put the numbers 1-9 in a 9x9 grid in such a way that no number is repeated in any row, column, or 3x3 box.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/07/05 at 1:27 pm

No, that's a "magic square."

With Sudoku, you need to put the numbers 1-9 in a 9x9 grid in such a way that no number is repeated in any row, column, or 3x3 box.

I know how to do Sudoku (did one just this morning that was in the paper). Like I said, no adding necessary.

Cat

Written By: nally on 12/07/05 at 1:27 pm

I know how to do Sudoku (did one just this morning that was in the paper). Like I said, no adding necessary.

Cat

Exactly. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/30/05 at 11:20 am

Our local paper just started putting them in yesterday. So now I can get a daily fix.  ;D

Cat

Written By: nally on 01/01/06 at 10:59 am

I got a book of 600+ sudoku puzzles for Christmas...I've already done at least ten of them. They range in difficulty level from easy to "challenger", which is supposed to be very difficult, but I'm always able to figure out the difficult ones. There are also some "super challenger" puzzles that utilize the numbers 1 through 16; in each of those, those numbers must appear exactly once in each row, column, 4X4 box, and diagonal.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/01/06 at 2:16 pm

I couldn't get the one that was in the paper today. I must have worked on it for hours. I will try again later.

Cat

Written By: nally on 01/02/06 at 2:23 am

I couldn't get the one that was in the paper today. I must have worked on it for hours. I will try again later.

Cat

Must've been a tough one or something.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/02/06 at 1:06 pm

Must've been a tough one or something.

Yeah it was. I tried it again this morning and I STILL couldn't get it.  >:( I finally cheated.  ;D

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 01/02/06 at 1:33 pm

I love Sudoku, it isn't so tough that you know you can't do it, and it keeps you engaged.
I asked for, and got a book them for Christmas.  Something to while a way the time when
you are really sick of the book you have been trying to read but decided it really was just
too boring.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/07 at 3:35 pm

Has anyone tried Killer Sudoku?

Written By: nally on 05/14/07 at 4:48 pm

Has anyone tried Killer Sudoku?

What is "Killer" Sudoku? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/07 at 2:55 am

Killer Sudoku is a harder variation of the normal Sudoku, the numbers are found by solving the total giving in blocks.

Read more here.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/07 at 3:00 am

http://www.killersudokuonline.com/puzzles/puzzle-D368c7d499.gif

Terminology:

Cell A single box. It can contain any digit from one to nine.

Row A horizontal group of nine cells. Each cell in the row must contain a different digit.

Column A vertical group of nine cells. Each cell in the column must contain a different digit.

Nonet A 3x3 grid of cells. It is surrounded by bold lines. Each cell in the nonent must contain a different digit.

Cage A group of cells surrounded by a dashed line. The values of the cells in a cage must sum up to the total specified in the upper right of the cage. The values in a cage must be unique even if the rules of regular sudoku would allow for duplicates. For example, the cells labeled 'a' and 'b' in the figure cannot have the same value.

Region An area of the puzzle that cannot contain duplicate digits. That is, a row, a column, a nonet, or a cage.

http://www.killersudokuonline.com/images/rules.gif

Rules:

As in regular sudoku, every cell in each row, column, and nonet must contain a unique digit. In other words, each row, column, and nonet must contain all the digits from one to nine.

The values of the cells a cage must sum up to the total for that cage.

The values of the cells in a cage must be unique.

Written By: karen on 05/15/07 at 5:55 am

Killer Sudoku is a harder variation of the normal Sudoku, the numbers are found by solving the total giving in blocks.

Read more here.

Just bought a book of these to give to my husband.  He can't do 'easy' sudoku puzzles only the hard ones so I thought this would add an extra challenge

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/07 at 6:15 am

Just bought a book of these to give to my husband.  He can't do 'easy' sudoku puzzles only the hard ones so I thought this would add an extra challenge
It is the puzzles in The Times I do regularly.

Written By: karen on 05/15/07 at 6:32 am

It is the puzzles in The Times I do regularly.

I think hubby started doing them in either The Sunday Times or The Telegraph on Saturdays.  We don't buy a paper very often but if we do it's one of those two.  With all the supplements there's enough reading to last at least a week!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/07 at 6:41 am

I think hubby started doing them in either The Sunday Times or The Telegraph on Saturdays.  We don't buy a paper very often but if we do it's one of those two.  With all the supplements there's enough reading to last at least a week!
...and very heavy to carry.

Written By: nally on 05/15/07 at 10:26 am

http://www.killersudokuonline.com/puzzles/puzzle-D368c7d499.gif

Terminology:

Cell A single box. It can contain any digit from one to nine.

Row A horizontal group of nine cells. Each cell in the row must contain a different digit.

Column A vertical group of nine cells. Each cell in the column must contain a different digit.

Nonet A 3x3 grid of cells. It is surrounded by bold lines. Each cell in the nonent must contain a different digit.

Cage A group of cells surrounded by a dashed line. The values of the cells in a cage must sum up to the total specified in the upper right of the cage. The values in a cage must be unique even if the rules of regular sudoku would allow for duplicates. For example, the cells labeled 'a' and 'b' in the figure cannot have the same value.

Region An area of the puzzle that cannot contain duplicate digits. That is, a row, a column, a nonet, or a cage.

http://www.killersudokuonline.com/images/rules.gif

Rules:

As in regular sudoku, every cell in each row, column, and nonet must contain a unique digit. In other words, each row, column, and nonet must contain all the digits from one to nine.

The values of the cells a cage must sum up to the total for that cage.

The values of the cells in a cage must be unique.

Now I know why they call it "killer"! :o

I suppose I could try my hand at one of those at some point... I doubt that I'd do very well.

Check for new replies or respond here...