inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are you ready for some football!?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 08/07/05 at 11:24 am

Falcons beat the Colts in the American bowl by a score of 27-21.  The pre-season is here.  Football will start soon.  Now football ain't my favorite sport (it's my second) but I'm ready for it.

Are you ready for some football?

Subject: Re: Are you ready for some football!?

Written By: whitewolf on 08/07/05 at 12:06 pm

oh god no- not again

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/07/05 at 12:22 pm

I love my football almost as much as I love NASCAR....My team since the early 1980's is the Philadelphia EAGLES. I stick by them no matter what...Sports fans in Southern NJ are usually not Giants or Jets fans although there are a few of 'em around here...Philly teams RULE around here,Eagles,Flyers,Sixers,Phillies and the AHL's Phantoms...

Just why some Eagles fans are booing Terrell Owens,I dunno. Hey..he helped get them a decent spot in the playoffs..from which they made it to the Super Bowl..not too shabby after 24 years of disappointments.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/07/05 at 5:45 pm

honestly? no....however my husband sure is! :D

Erin :)

Written By: ADH13 on 08/07/05 at 5:47 pm

HECK YEAH!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/07/05 at 6:28 pm

oh god no- not again

My feelings exactly.  ::)

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/07/05 at 7:58 pm

My feelings exactly.  ::)

Cat
GREAT!! Yet ANOTHER duplicate thread ::)

Written By: Kenlos on 08/07/05 at 11:20 pm

Just why some Eagles fans are booing Terrell Owens,I dunno. Hey..he helped get them a decent spot in the playoffs..from which they made it to the Super Bowl..not too shabby after 24 years of disappointments.

I do not blame them for booing at all. A year after he signs a huge 7 year contract with the Eagles he turns around and ask for more money.  Why he even sign in the first place then.  Shoot if I was the Eagles orginazation I would tell him and his money to get lost.  Yeah they made it to the Super Bowl but if you remember correctly he missed part of the season including the entire playoffs besides the Super Bowl which means that they can get there with out him.

As for myself I am a huge Falcons fan and have been since 1992.  Been through the thick and thin with them.  Now we have Vick, who I personally think is currently overrated as a Quarterback but at the same time I do think he has potential to become one of the greats but he still has a long way to go.  Never-the-less with him under center we will always have a chance to win and now we finally seem to have a decent back up QB as well.  So starting this past weekend I will be rooting on my Falcons for another season.  Going to be a tough one with the likes of the Eagles, Packers, Jets, Vikings, and Patriots all coming to the dome this year.

Written By: karen on 08/10/05 at 7:23 am

Leicester City won last night adn Nottingham Forest lost.  Hooray!!

oh, wait you weren't talking about real football were you?

Written By: Alchoholica on 08/10/05 at 12:57 pm

Leicester City won last night adn Nottingham Forest lost.  Hooray!!

I saw that, Davy connoley with a hat trick in 26 minutes.

Anyway, on the topic of FOOTBALL!! Yes i'm ready!

Although from all accounts my poor Rams aren't  ;D

Written By: FaultyDog on 08/13/05 at 8:19 am

Never mind about the others - let's hijack this thread! ;)

Yes, 2005/2006 season is on its way in The Netherlands as well!  :) Yesterday's kickoff: AZ Alkmaar (#3 in 2004/2005 season) beat Sparta (Rotterdam) (promoted from Second Division) 3 to 0.

My prediction for this season (final standings after 34 matches):

1. Ajax (Amsterdam)
2. PSV (Eindhoven)
3. Feyenoord (Rotterdam)
4. Vitesse (Arnhem)
5. FC Twente (Enschede)
6. FC Utrecht
7. RKC Waalwijk
8. SC Heerenveen
9. Roda JC (Kerkrade)
10.AZ (Alkmaar)
11. NAC Breda
12. NEC (Nijmegen)
13. Willem II
14. FC Groningen
15. ADO Den Haag
16. Sparta (Rotterdam)
17. Heracles Almelo
18. RBC Roosendaal

Nrs 1 to 6 get to play in various European championships for club teams the following season.
Nrs 16 and 17 have to play relegation/promotion matches (along with 6 teams from Second Division).
Nr 18 will relegate directly.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/05 at 9:00 am

It is still the cricket season...

Written By: FaultyDog on 08/13/05 at 11:07 am

It is still the cricket season...

I hope you enjoy it. As for me, I can think of dozens of sports that I find more entertaining. :P But that's probably because I don't live in one of the Commonwealth nations.

Written By: Alchoholica on 08/13/05 at 1:41 pm

Yes, 2005/2006 season is on its way in The Netherlands as well!  :) Yesterday's kickoff: AZ Alkmaar (#3 in 2004/2005 season) beat Sparta (Rotterdam) (promoted from Second Division) 3 to 0.

1. Ajax (Amsterdam)

CAN YOU HEAR THE F-SIDE SING, THE BOYS GO ALL THE WAY!

But my favourite song from the Arena was..

As shepherds tend there flocks by night, flocks by night, the angels sing.. AJAX, AJAX, AJAX!

LOL. Henk, you will have to fill me in on what the proper song was, i was singing it when i went to see Ajax play (yes i am ajaceaden) but i forget the proper words. It is a dutch childrens song origionally, and in the childrens song the angels sing something else.

Who do you support, are you ajaceaden or do you follow one of the Farmer teams  ;)

Written By: FaultyDog on 08/13/05 at 3:53 pm

CAN YOU HEAR THE F-SIDE SING, THE BOYS GO ALL THE WAY!

But my favourite song from the Arena was..

As shepherds tend there flocks by night, flocks by night, the angels sing.. AJAX, AJAX, AJAX!

LOL. Henk, you will have to fill me in on what the proper song was, i was singing it when i went to see Ajax play (yes i am ajaceaden) but i forget the proper words. It is a dutch childrens song origionally, and in the childrens song the angels sing something else.

Who do you support, are you ajaceaden or do you follow one of the Farmer teams  ;)

We're so lucky not to have gotten stranded on a deserted island together...I'd have had to eat you (whilst still alive)! ;)
I do not support Ajax, for your information. When it comes to Dutch competition, I sort of support PSV Eindhoven (though I'm not a registered fan, nor do I attend any of their matches). Internationally, I don't really care which Dutch teams are playing - as long as they make me feel proud!

Now, as to the song you mentioned: it's actually a Christmas carol. These are the words to the first verse (in Dutch):

De herdertjes lagen bij nachte
Zij lagen bij nacht in het veld
Zij hielden getrouwe de wachte
Zij hadden hun schaapjes geteld
Daar hoorden zij engelen zingen
Hun liederen vloeiend en klaar
De herders naar Bethlehem gingen
't Liep tegen het nieuwe jaar

which roughly translated means:

Shepherds tending their flock by night in the fields
They were guarding them faithfully
Then they heard the angels sing
in a fluent and clear voice
Off they went to Bethlehem
It happened in the last days of the year.

But the F-Side has adopted and adapted this carol and changed it somewhat:

Daar hoorden zij engelen zingen:
AJAX!  AJAX!  AJAX!

I hope that answers your question.

Written By: Alchoholica on 08/13/05 at 7:05 pm

We're so lucky not to have gotten stranded on a deserted island together...I'd have had to eat you (whilst still alive)! ;)
I do not support Ajax, for your information. When it comes to Dutch competition, I sort of support PSV Eindhoven (though I'm not a registered fan, nor do I attend any of their matches). Internationally, I don't really care which Dutch teams are playing - as long as they make me feel proud!

Now, as to the song you mentioned: it's actually a Christmas carol. These are the words to the first verse (in Dutch):

Zij hielden getrouwe de wachte
Zij hadden hun schaapjes geteld
Daar hoorden zij engelen zingen
Hun liederen vloeiend en klaar
De herders naar Bethlehem gingen
't Liep tegen het nieuwe jaar

which roughly translated means:

Shepherds tending their flock by night in the fields
They were guarding them faithfully
Then they heard the angels sing
in a fluent and clear voice
Off they went to Bethlehem
It happened in the last days of the year.

But the F-Side has adopted and adapted this carol and changed it somewhat:

Daar hoorden zij engelen zingen:
AJAX!  AJAX!  AJAX!

I hope that answers your question.

FARMER! FARMER! FARMER! Ha Ha, i'm only kidding. I don't Like PSV, it is indeed a good thing we didn't get trapped on an island.
When it comes to the International Scene, my first love is England or English teams.. next comes Holland. I have several good friends in Holland and love the country and love Ajax. I also love the Dutch Style of Football.

Ah, it's a christmas carol, ok i understand now. Thank you for clearing that up.

Another reason i don't like PSV is there are many fans (although they are in the minority) that are very anti-semetic. As i'm sure you know Ajax fans call themselves Joden. It's a shame that it happens but when PSV come to the Arena there are always many anti-semetic songs. I know of course that almost all PSV fans feel the same way about this as i do, that it has no place in Football, but i belive that those fans should be stopped from travelling to away fixtures by the club.

Anyway, hopefully the Boys can win the league this year. Thank you again for clearing that up for me.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 08/14/05 at 7:28 am

Yes I am.  Real football is what we have, not that phony crap that nobody likes (in America at least) that's played over in Europe.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/05 at 8:16 am

Yes I am.  Real football is what we have, not that phony crap that nobody likes (in America at least) that's played over in Europe.
Yesterday saw the start of the 2005/06 football season in the UK.

That is the original form of football that is played worldwide, and even has a World Cup for the best of the Country Teams. I do not recall a World Cup for the Gridiron form as played in the USA.

Written By: Alchoholica on 08/14/05 at 2:44 pm

Aheh Ahem.

GW, which version of Football is older, which version is enjoyed by BILLIONS of people the world over, which one has more money, fans, teams, players, officials and nations taking part in it than i belive every other sport in the world..

I enjoy 'American Football' I'm a big Rams fan and will try and get to a couple games this year, but Football.. football. Is much better.. the reason Americans don't like it, is because a whole game can by without a goal. I realise this is a generalisation.. but it's true.

I can agree, i watched Liverpool vs Middlesbourough the other day.. and i got a bit bored because it ended 0-0... there weren't many scoring opportunities. But it's still an outstanding game. It's also growing in popularity here. All it will take is for the US to either get to the Final of, or win the World Cup and then i guarentee it will kick off. Look at all the young kids playing football nowadays, Millions of them, you have a name for there mothers. Soccer Mom's.

I'm not saying i want to see an End to American Football, i enjoy the game and like playing it myself, but it's not the only form of Football in the world, you hardly even use your bloody feet, and i guarentee before too long real Football will be rivaling it.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/14/05 at 4:08 pm

Yes but unfortunately we have TWO threads for Preseason football. I would change the title of mine but this thread is the one where American football isn't being talked about as much here :-\\

Written By: FaultyDog on 12/06/05 at 10:42 am

Nrs 1 to 6 get to play in various European championships for club teams the following season.
Nrs 16 and 17 have to play relegation/promotion matches (along with 6 teams from Second Division).
Nr 18 will relegate directly.

Well, that's not true, for there will be a completely useless play-off round at the end of this season. Numbers 2 to 9 in regular competition will have to play even more games to decide who will play Champions League (well, preliminaries to the Champions League, that is) or UEFA Cup. And then there's always teams that can play so-called InterToto Competition (if you didn't make it to the UEFA Cup via the play-offs, you can always try again via this Competition - only thing is, you have to play foreign opponents who may be as far away as Ukraine or Georgia).
Like I said, completely useless, 'cause players are already complaining about the number of games they have to play each season (national league, national cup tournament, Champions League and/or UEFA Cup, games with the national team...) And especially with the World Cup coming up, these play-offs are bound to get a lot of comment.

Anyway, as for my predictions...

1. Ajax (Amsterdam)
2. PSV (Eindhoven)
3. Feyenoord (Rotterdam)
4. Vitesse (Arnhem)
5. FC Twente (Enschede)
6. FC Utrecht
7. RKC Waalwijk
8. SC Heerenveen
9. Roda JC (Kerkrade)
10.AZ (Alkmaar)
11. NAC Breda
12. NEC (Nijmegen)
13. Willem II
14. FC Groningen
15. ADO Den Haag
16. Sparta (Rotterdam)
17. Heracles Almelo
18. RBC Roosendaal

I'm a bit off here and there.. :-[... will get back on those shortly.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/06/05 at 11:55 am

...and next year sees the next World Cup played in Germany.

Written By: FaultyDog on 12/06/05 at 4:42 pm

Dutch competition - Current standings

Teams in green are performing better than I expected, teams in red are doing worse than I expected and teams in blue are living up to their expectations.Well, so much for my predictions!

PosTeamPlayedPointsGoals
  1PSV (Eindhoven)  14  3530- 9
  2AZ (Alkmaar)  14  3238-14
  3Feyenoord (Rotterdam)  14  3239-16
  4NEC (Nijmegen)  14  2416-13
  5Vitesse (Arnhem)  14  2327-21
  6RKC Waalwijk  14  2328-25
  7FC Utrecht  13  2118-14
  8Ajax (Amsterdam)  14  2121-14
  9sc Heerenveen  14  2126-22
10FC Groningen  14  2014-18
11FC Twente  14  1715-14
12NAC Breda  14  1617-24
13Roda JC (Kerkrade)  14  1621-30
14Heracles Almelo  14  1514-29
15Sparta (Rotterdam)  14  1212-21
16ADO Den Haag  14  1213-25
17Willem II  13  811-25
18RBC Roosendaal  14  4  8-34

Written By: Satish on 12/06/05 at 8:53 pm

Actually, there's no such thing as "real" football.

Just ask someone from Australia or Ireland about Australian rules or Gaelic football:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_rules_football
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaelic_football
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football

Written By: SAM-Indonesia on 12/06/05 at 10:23 pm

Dutch competition - Current standings

Teams in green are performing better than I expected, teams in red are doing worse than I expected and teams in blue are living up to their expectations.Well, so much for my predictions!

PosTeamPlayedPointsGoals

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/07/05 at 2:13 am

What happened to AJAX? Does it manage to the next Champions League Qualifications?

Written By: karen on 12/07/05 at 3:55 am

Actually, there's no such thing as "real" football.

Just ask someone from Australia or Ireland about Australian rules or Gaelic football:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_rules_football
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaelic_football
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football

I know about those.  The fact that you have call it Australian Rules football or Gaelic distinguishes it from 'football'.  Even the game they are mainly talking aboiut in this thread is American football to make it clear what version is meant

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/07/05 at 3:55 am

Forget football here...

Scotland are celebrating sporting glory after being crowned world champions of elephant
polo in Nepal.

Written By: FaultyDog on 12/07/05 at 4:38 am

Forget football here...

Scotland are celebrating sporting glory after being crowned world champions of elephant
polo in Nepal.

I guess there wasn't much competition...? ::)

Written By: FaultyDog on 12/07/05 at 4:46 am

What happened to AJAX? Does it manage to the next Champions League Qualifications?

Written By: karen on 12/07/05 at 4:53 am

I guess there wasn't much competition...? ::)

Acording to this BBC story Scotland last won in 2001

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4073353.stm

Written By: FaultyDog on 12/07/05 at 5:09 am

Acording to this BBC story Scotland last won in 2001

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4073353.stm

So there were eight teams competing... I don't think this will ever be an Olympic sport. And I sincerely hope not, too.
I do not consider polo to be fair to horses (or elephants, in this case), and this goes for all other equestrian sports as well. I don't mind people riding horse for pleasure, but just not competitively in any form. Well, that's just my opinion.

Written By: Satish on 12/07/05 at 8:20 am

I know about those.

Written By: karen on 12/07/05 at 8:34 am

Like I said, there's no such thing as "real" football. The game people in Britain call just football is actually association football:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football#Names_of_the_game

"Soccer" is short for association football- as(soc)iation football

I know.  It's just for a wind-up

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/07/05 at 11:51 am

Like I said, there's no such thing as "real" football. The game people in Britain call just football is actually association football:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football#Names_of_the_game

"Soccer" is short for association football- as(soc)iation football
There is such a thing as real tennis.

Written By: karen on 12/08/05 at 3:25 am

There is such a thing as real tennis.

also known as Royal Tennis.  It's played indoors

Written By: SAM-Indonesia on 12/08/05 at 3:45 am

In England there is  Charity Cup, FA Cup. How about in Holland? What is the name of the tournaments in Dutch? As to AJAX, can anyone tell me the home and away costumes? Are you guys familiar with 'Sepak Takraw' it is popular in Southeast Asia: Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia.

Written By: karen on 12/08/05 at 3:48 am

Like I said, completely useless, 'cause players are already complaining about the number of games they have to play each season (national league, national cup tournament, Champions League and/or UEFA Cup, games with the national team...) And especially with the World Cup coming up, these play-offs are bound to get a lot of comment.

This is a common complaint amongst the English Football League managers.  The thing is they don't have to enter all the different competitions do they?  At one time there was the FA Cup for the top teams and the FA VAse was considered to be for the lower (and non-league) teams.  Now all the top teams play in both competitions and then moan that there is too many matches to play  ::)

Written By: FaultyDog on 12/08/05 at 1:25 pm

In England there is

Written By: FaultyDog on 12/08/05 at 1:40 pm

This is a common complaint amongst the English Football League managers.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/08/05 at 4:54 pm

I just found out that Nebraska is going to play Michigan in the Alamo Bowl. Should be an interesting matchup, and it would be nice if the Huskers could end their season on a high note.

Written By: SAM-Indonesia on 12/09/05 at 4:53 am

To Henk thank you very much Eredivisie is quite well known in Jakarta. That's why I ask so many things concerning this league. I will try Ajax homepage as soon as I get the site! May I ask the Dutch favourite referee? In Italy, for instance, Colina the Bald referee with Eyes as Sharp as an Eagle. And about Barcelona that contains so many Dutch players? Is Eredivisie has a close relation to the Spanish League? Finally what is your opinion about female referee? Hope you have plenty time to answer my mail. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/09/05 at 1:43 pm

The draw for the Groups in the World Cup Finals is about to commence in 30 minutes time

With:
POT ONE
Germany (hosts)
Brazil (holders)
Argentina
England
France
Italy
Mexico
Spain 

POT TWO
Australia
Angola
Ghana
Ivory Coast
Togo
Tunisia
Ecuador
Paraguay

POT THREE
Croatia
Czech Republic
Netherlands
Poland
Portugal
Sweden
Switzerland
Ukraine 

POT FOUR
Iran
Japan
Saudi Arabia
South Korea
Costa Rica
Trinidad & Tobago
US

Special pot: Serbia & Montenegro 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/09/05 at 2:35 pm

Since this thread keeps getting bumped to to the top of the page, I must say:

NO, I COULDN'T CARE LESS!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/09/05 at 2:45 pm

You're just mad because the Patriots are playing like garbage this year. ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/09/05 at 2:54 pm

They won the Superbowl twice.  That's more than we could have asked for after the 1986 Pats vs. Bears debacle.  It won't bother me if they don't even get to the Superbowl for another fifteen years!

Garbage is a pretty good band, anyway.

Written By: FaultyDog on 12/09/05 at 4:49 pm

The draw for the Groups in the World Cup Finals is about to commence in 30 minutes time

With:
POT ONE
Germany (hosts)
Brazil (holders)
Argentina
England
France
Italy
Mexico
Spain

Written By: FaultyDog on 12/09/05 at 4:50 pm

Well, you could just ignore this thread... ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/09/05 at 4:54 pm

The draw is finished and boy, are we lucky! :P We will be facing Argentina, Ivory Coast and Serbia & Montenegro.... It may well be the toughest lot! :(

World Cup finals draw in full

GROUP A
Germany
Costa Rica
Poland
Ecuador

GROUP B
England
Paraguay
Trinidad & Tobago
Sweden

GROUP C
Argentina
Ivory Coast
Serbia & Montenegro
Holland

GROUP D
Mexico
Iran
Angola
Portugal

GROUP E
Italy
Ghana
USA
Czech Republic

GROUP F
Brazil
Croatia
Australia
Japan

GROUP G
France
Switzerland
South Korea
Togo

GROUP H
Spain
Ukraine
Tunisia
Saudi Arabia

England has an curious match against Sweden?

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 12/09/05 at 6:02 pm

Curse Johan Cruyff !  Drawing Australia to be in Brazil's group - I knew I never liked him for a reason  ;D ;D ;D

I really REALLY wanted us to be in a group with England (for obvious reasons - so I could annoy Paul and Philip) or alternately to be drawn against the USA, so we could stuff the ignorant Bruce Arena's observations regarding our abilities back down his big mouth.  Idiot.

He seems to forget the only result between the two countries  ::)  Let us progress to later stages of the tournament so we can have the chance, I say  :P

Henk, I sympathise for your having been drawn in Argentina's group.  :o  But one would think that Serbia & Montenegro and Ivory Coast won't present too many problems  ;)

I think Group D is potentially the easiest.  Quite how Mexico got to be in the Top 8 seeds is a bit beyond me  ???

Best of luck to all  :)

Written By: Paul on 12/09/05 at 6:13 pm

I really REALLY wanted us to be in a group with England (for obvious reasons - so I could annoy Paul and Philip) or alternately to be drawn against the USA, so we could stuff the ignorant Bruce Arena's observations regarding our abilities back down his big mouth.

Written By: FaultyDog on 12/10/05 at 4:09 am

Curse Johan Cruyff !

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 12/10/05 at 7:42 am

Henk, Paul, Philip, Karen et al :

I have created a separate World Cup thread :

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,15197.0.html

:) :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/10/05 at 8:03 am

Henk, Paul, Philip, Karen et al :

I have created a separate World Cup thread :

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,15197.0.html

:) :)
Good idea O0

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/10/05 at 8:23 am

Oh yeah, and the Chiefs whipped up on them a couple of weeks back.  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...