inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Are Your Favorite Commercials

Written By: Lara Spencer on 08/09/05 at 9:20 pm

I just luuve, luuve, luvve those Citibank identity theft commercials.  They are so funny and use the humor to make the point so well.  I think they're brilliant.  I don't like Citibank the company at all, but these are the best commercials on television today.

Subject: Re: What Are Your Favorite Commercials

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/09/05 at 9:27 pm

My current favorite is the Geico  that uses an old Speed Racer cartoon, it's funny.....  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/09/05 at 9:38 pm

I like the HP ones that play the song "picturebook" and it has the guy putting these frames over his head and they turn into pictures...that is kinda cool!

Erin :)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 08/09/05 at 9:43 pm

I...Actually like this birth control commercial. (At least I think It's a birth control commercial) It's all in black and white. In the commercial there is a couple under an umbrella, walking in the rain. The man then gives the umbrella to some random person, and he and the girl start running in the rain. I thought it was nice.

Beth

Written By: rich1981 on 08/09/05 at 11:52 pm

The smoking commercial where it shows people before and after the effects of smoking, such as this one guy who is about to smoke and says "I don't think I can quit" and then it cuts to a scene where a doctor is saying "I don't think I can operate". I believe it is part of the "Quitting is hard. Not quitting is harder" commercials.

Written By: ADH13 on 08/09/05 at 11:55 pm

I like the NFL Sunday Ticket one where the football players are dancing around to the Golden Ticket song from Willy Wonka.

and of course, the retro Oscar Mayer has a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A I've been seeing lately :)

Written By: Mickey D. on 08/10/05 at 1:33 pm

My favorite commercial is one of the Starbucks commercials (the one with the band called Survivor).  The commercial starts with Glen in the kitchen drinking his double-shot espresso drink until Survivor plays the parody of "Eye Of The Tiger" like "Glen! Glen-Glen-Glen! Glen-Glen-Glen!"  When Glen was walking down the street, Survivor followed Glen like "Glen's the man goin' to work...Got his tie, got ambition...He knows one day he just could become..." The bus arrived at the depot for Glen to get on.  At the office, in the elevator, Survivor continued like "...supervisor!"  When Glen exit the elevator while Roy entered the elevator, Survivor started a new tune for "Roy! Roy-Roy-Roy!" The male voice-over summoned "STARBUCKS DOUBLE SHOT ESPRESSO DRINK.  BRING ON THE DAY."  The tagline reads "Bring on the day".

Written By: woops on 08/10/05 at 3:49 pm

The hair product (forgot) with Heather Graham...  :-*  8)  :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/10/05 at 3:50 pm

My favorite commercial is one of the Starbucks commercials (the one with the band called Survivor).  The commercial starts with Glen in the kitchen drinking his double-shot espresso drink until Survivor plays the parody of "Eye Of The Tiger" like "Glen! Glen-Glen-Glen! Glen-Glen-Glen!"  When Glen was walking down the street, Survivor followed Glen like "Glen's the man goin' to work...Got his tie, got ambition...He knows one day he just could become..." The bus arrived at the depot for Glen to get on.  At the office, in the elevator, Survivor continued like "...supervisor!"  When Glen exit the elevator while Roy entered the elevator, Survivor started a new tune for "Roy! Roy-Roy-Roy!" The male voice-over summoned "STARBUCKS DOUBLE SHOT ESPRESSO DRINK.  BRING ON THE DAY."  The tagline reads "Bring on the day".

hahahahaa...i like that one too! ;D

Written By: jiminy on 08/10/05 at 11:09 pm

That credit card commercial where all these vikings are getting modern jobs, one of them is a stewardess on an airplane and as he's walking down the isle of the plane his flail is hitting the passengers in the head, another has a job at a bowling ally and after he sprays a shoe with disinfectant, he smells the shoe and one viking is a life guard and has these really nasty looking teeth and is trying to give a guy mouth to mouth resuscitation as he's trying his best to pull away  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/11/05 at 7:11 am

I like those commercials where they have the cavemen in today's situations.

Written By: Lara Spencer on 08/11/05 at 10:26 am

I love the HP commercials too, where the people turn into pictures.  That is brilliant!

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/13/05 at 6:19 pm

Wow Lara, now I know what you do in your spare time from The Insider

;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/08/08 at 10:48 pm

I love the new Verizon Fios commercial. The cable guys installs Fios and the dad goes, "WOW"...then the mom goes, "WOW"...then the kid goes, "WOW"...then the dog goes, "WOW"...then the cat goes, "WOW"....then finally...the flea on the cat goes, "WOW" :D ;D  Too funny!! :P

Written By: whistledog on 05/09/08 at 12:15 pm

I still love those commercials for Kellogg's Mini-Wheats.  They air in Canada only, which might be why you've never seen them, but they are cool ...

Vanilla Mini-Wheats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1YcgDIO3J0

Strawberry Mini-Wheats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGqlXBx_bBc

Cinnamon Mini-Wheats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyq8ElYE1u4

And I wish I could find clips, but in the 90s, Mr. Mini-Wheat, looking the same then as he does now, used to go to see a psychiatrist to talk about his comtemplation over his frosted side and his wheat side.  Then at the end of the commercial, he'd stand up, raise his hand in the air and say "Mini-Wheats are stuuuuuupendous!"

Written By: whistledog on 05/09/08 at 12:29 pm

If anything though, nothing beats this 7-Up commercial from 1982 ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsVhlyXdX3w

Written By: woops on 05/09/08 at 9:18 pm

The woman with the burrito in the new  Wendy's commercial looks cute

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/10/08 at 8:18 am

I used to love this commercial as a kid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OCq0nuQwW8

And this one is probly in the worst commercials thread, but for some reason I just crack up when I see the Meatloaf Go Phone commercial:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=d7MG-FU43a4

Written By: saluteyourshorts on 05/29/08 at 2:37 am

The one with some guy at the car dealership who goes nuts and starts dancing and throwing himself over cars then finishes it off with a lean back on a rolling chair with a bucket of water thrown on him. pretty funny

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/29/08 at 11:28 am

I like the ones with the guy singing about Freecreditreport.com. There are 3 of them-I think I like the one with him at the fish restaurant the best and the other one with him in his apartment I have only seen about twice.

Cat

Written By: woops on 05/29/08 at 3:17 pm

Pop Tart commercials with the stick figures  :D

Written By: whistledog on 07/23/08 at 8:40 pm

This one for KIA always makes me laugh ...

http://www.videosift.com/video/KIA-Flashdance-commercial

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/26/08 at 11:24 am

I like this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn-NtOXFE3Y

Here is the video of the ones that I mentioned in my earlier post-someone combined all three in one video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftq2S89qRG8

Cat

Written By: Stompgal on 08/04/08 at 10:55 am

Here are my current favourite commercials:

The BT adverts featuring Peter Jones from 'Dragon's Den' and some gremlins.
The 'Blue is back' Smarties advert.
The computer animated Lloyds TSB adverts
The Morrisons advert for 100% British meat. A man flies over a field in the shape of the Union Jack and after purchasing his meat in a Morrisons store, he accidentally crashes his trolley into another woman's troley. He aplologises to her and she calls him a roadhog.
The First Choice advert where a boy is on the beach and he calls, "Last one to the sea is a great big loser!" Next, hundreds of children run to the sea while the Lone Ranger theme plays in the background.
The Sainsbury's advert featuring Jamie Oliver where he makes salmon fish cakes. There's another commercial in which he makes lamb burgers with chorizo potato wedges.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/04/08 at 9:51 pm

"Uh, nice house..."
"NICE EARRING!"

(Dad pings his daughter's new boyfriend's earring with his index finger)

Maalox circa 1991. 

It just sunk in as a private joke between my brother and me...it refers to a certain kind of inanity we find amusing.  Hard to describe.
:-\\

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 08/09/08 at 2:48 pm

I love the HP commercials too, where the people turn into pictures.  That is brilliant!
first celeberty post here in the board! cool

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/09/08 at 5:44 pm

first celeberty post here in the board! cool

Not really. We have had a few celebrities on this board.

Cat

Written By: Stompgal on 09/21/08 at 8:17 am

Here are other commercials I like at the moment:

The Marks and Spencer advert where Lily Cole, Twiggy, Myleene Klass and another woman go to a fun fair with David Bowie's 'Let's Dance' playing in the background.
The Hovis advert in which a boy runs through different time periods with a loaf of bread in his arms. Eras include VE Day in 1945, the 1960s, a strike in the 1970s and the millennium.
The 'Arm Against Cervical Cancer' advertising campaign from the NAS. It has various close-ups of girls' arms and it is about a jab to protect girls in school Year 8 onwards from the cancer.
The adverts for the Nintendo DS Imagine game series for girls featuring Fearne Cotton and Holly Willoughby.

Check for new replies or respond here...