inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Say, It Ain't So, Lance!

Written By: Drudge Reporter on 08/18/05 at 1:42 pm

PARIS, France -- Lance Armstrong's record setting seventh Tour de France victory, along with his entire Tour de France legacy, may be tarnished by what could turn out to be one of the greatest sports scandals of all time.

Armstrong is being quizzed by French police after three banned substances were found in his South France hotel room while on vacation after winning the 2005 Tour de France. The three substances found were toothpaste, deodorant, and soap which have been banned by French authorities for over 75 years.

Along with these three banned substances, French authorities also found several other interesting items that they have never seen before, including a backbone and testicles...

Subject: Re: Say, It Ain't So, Lance!

Written By: Mushroom on 08/18/05 at 1:51 pm

PARIS, France -- Lance Armstrong's record setting seventh Tour de France victory, along with his entire Tour de France legacy, may be tarnished by what could turn out to be one of the greatest sports scandals of all time.

Armstrong is being quizzed by French police after three banned substances were found in his South France hotel room while on vacation after winning the 2005 Tour de France. The three substances found were toothpaste, deodorant, and soap which have been banned by French authorities for over 75 years.

Along with these three banned substances, French authorities also found several other interesting items that they have never seen before, including a backbone and testicles...

Very nice.  Now go and pick up your white sheets and swastika armband, and form a line to the right.  Then kindly march outta here, especially since you are not brave enough to even sign in as yourself.

Written By: Drudge Reporter on 08/18/05 at 4:17 pm

Sorry, that was in poor judgment.
:-[

Written By: Alchoholica on 08/18/05 at 4:45 pm

Oh man.. picking on the French is funny and the right thing to do.

Picking on a guy who's the toughest sonofabitch i've ever seen isn't.

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/18/05 at 6:26 pm

In a related story, French authorities have detained a "Drudge Reporter" for trying to impersonate Jerry Lewis, whom they consider a genius. He was acquitted moments later after "Drudge" did an impeccable Marcel Marceau impression. 

Written By: Mushroom on 08/18/05 at 10:25 pm

In a related story, French authorities have detained a "Drudge Reporter" for trying to impersonate Jerry Lewis, whom they consider a genius.

Have you ever heard the Wierd Al song "Genius In France"?

I admit, it is very un-Politically Correct, but I still find it funny (even though I tend to find remarks like Drudge did today to be totally tasteless).  I guess I tend to forgive Al, because he is so absurd, nobody can take him seriously.

http://www.leoslyrics.com/listlyrics.php?hid=zznLkgMNBiw%3D

Written By: FaultyDog on 08/19/05 at 1:21 pm

Sorry, that was in poor judgment.
:-[

Apologies accepted. I therefore have removed the remark I made earlier today.

Written By: Drudge Reporter on 08/19/05 at 1:37 pm

Very nice.  Now go and pick up your white sheets and swastika armband, and form a line to the right.  Then kindly march outta here, especially since you are not brave enough to even sign in as yourself.

I honestly didn't initially find the joke to be particularly malicious, but some took offense, so I immediately reconsidered and apologized.  But you couldn't just accept that and let it go.  Nor could you manage to express your feelings in an intelligent, rational manner.

Now you've gone on to suggest that while a silly hygiene joke about the French makes me, in your eyes, comparable to a Klansman or Nazi (as though that frivolous comparison doesn't show disrespect to the millions who suffered under those organizations), precisely the same kind of joke is entirely acceptable when articulated by your hero 'Weird Al'.  Why on earth would that be?

And you, Einstein, might take note of the fact that Lance is not the butt of the joke here, tasteless though it may be.  I realize that the subtlety of the sophisticated humour may have been lost on you, but please give it another read.  Granted, that may require you to invest another 10 minutes of your valuable time, but it will be time well spent.

My sincere apologies again to anyone who truly took offense, as no malice was meant to the French, nor was it my intention to in any way diminish Mr. Armstrong's personal courage or professional accomplishments.

But the self-righteousness of some of you is truly insufferable and is indeed worthy of every conceivable form of mockery.

Apologies accepted. I therefore have removed the remark I made earlier today.

The measure of a man is not perfection, but his effort to recognize and reconcile his imperfections.  You sir, are a gentleman.

Written By: Drudge Reporter on 08/19/05 at 1:42 pm

...or, perhaps a lady.  :-\\

Written By: Mushroom on 08/19/05 at 4:58 pm

Now you've gone on to suggest that while a silly hygiene joke about the French makes me, in your eyes, comparable to a Klansman or Nazi (as though that frivolous comparison doesn't show disrespect to the millions who suffered under those organizations), precisely the same kind of joke is entirely acceptable when articulated by your hero 'Weird Al'.  Why on earth would that be?

Have you ever heard the song?

When you hear it, you have to remember something, it is being sung as if the singer is a complete moron.  Here is the first chorus:

I'm not the brightest crayon in the box
Everyone says I'm dumber than a bag of rocks
I barely even know how to put on my own pants
But I'm a genius in France (yeah), genius in France, genius in France

Most people speculate that the song is actually a satire on Jerry Lewis, and not really about France at all.  And the guy only talks about how stupid he is, it does not actually insult French culture at all (unless you are a hyper-sensitive Frenchman).

And you also have to remember, who ever takes Weird Al seriously?  For heavens sake, this is a guy that wrote songs about:

1.  The biggest ball of twine in Minnesota
2.  Having a 2,000 inch TV
3.  Attack Of The Radioactive Hamsters From A Planet Near Mars (that is the actual song title)
4.  A party at a leper colony, where the participants fall apart as they dance
5.  A song that integrated constipation, incest, and decapitation
6.  A song integrating Michael Fey, John Bobbett, and the Tonya Harding - Nancy Kerrigan incident.
7.  A song that sounds like nothing but a series of "National Enquirer" headlines.
8.  A song for "Rocky XIV", which had Rockey opening a Deli

Al is somebody who nobody takes seriously.  His songs are all obvious parodies, which gets even more strange as time goes on.

Written By: FaultyDog on 08/19/05 at 5:04 pm

...or, perhaps a lady.  :-\\

I am all male, and by no means perfect. I realized that once more today. The remark I posted and removed was made in poor justice too. It shouldn't have been posted in the first place, but when I realized that I had already posted it. Unfortunately, I couldn't remove it until earlier this evening (it is now August 20, 00:03 AM in my time zone). It has been an agonizing day for me... :-[

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/19/05 at 6:25 pm

After careful consideration, I am deleting my earlier post (the one with the Dilbert cartoon), since people may have been offened, it wasn't intention off hand, instead it was directed to the bad taste of the original post.

Sorry about it again.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/19/05 at 7:29 pm

This is dumb, son.

Written By: FaultyDog on 08/20/05 at 1:16 am

This is dumb, son.

...but he has already apologized.

Check for new replies or respond here...