inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Long hair fashionable on men again?

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 08/23/05 at 2:36 pm

Is what I am noticing real? 

I have noticed the past year or so, probably the past 2 years actually, that having long hair (approximately shoulder length) is once again fashionable on men.  Especially very young men in high school and the early college crowd in the 18-21/22 age range.  It just seems to be the "it" thing to do now.

Just kinda interesting, how that cycles b/w long and short hair being cool on guys.  Though having short hair isn't outdated, a lot of guys still have the short hair, but I have noticed more and more of these teeny bopper dudes, very early 20s crowd sporting the shoulder length....almost 1970ish surfer hairdo look.  Sometimes its also reminiscent of the early 90s grunge look too.  I guess that age range can still get away with it, if they are not in a work enviorment that has rules against it.   

Subject: Re: Is Long hair fashionable on men again?

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 08/23/05 at 3:06 pm

It's funny you mention that, but all my friends who had long hair back in the 90's had it all cut short. Maybe they're all getting old, I dunno.  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/23/05 at 5:03 pm

Another cool topic, Chris!

Well, I hope short hair isn't becoming less cool than long hair. At the longtime urging of some of my buddies and even my parents, I finally gave in the other day and got a total buzzcut - it feels weird since I've never gotten it that short in my life, but it's REALLY nice to not have to comb it in the morning (I tended to take literally forever with it before, LOL!).

I'd considered it before, but I was worried it would look too "thug-ish" but then I thought, in 1995 it was perceived more that way. In 2005 it seems to have become more mainstream.

Anyway, when I'm out, I think I've noticed what you're talking about too. It seems split between shaved/borderline shaved head guys, and surfer dude hair (not 80's metal frontman length, but longer than it has been "cool" to be since about 1997 anyway).

A little off subject, but I remember some other threads where I think you mentioned something along the lines that 24 is about the age people start becoming "adult" adults and the late teenage-ness wears off with things like pop culture. It's weird 'cause that got me thinking about this now. I'm a teeny bit older than most of the guys you mentioned above - I'm 23 and will be 24 in a couple weeks and I don't really feel any different or more "grown up" in that regard than I did five or six years ago.

I've never been a conformist, but I guess I still like looking/being cool to a degree. Maybe I don't feel myself getting older or less inclined to be "instyle" because most of my work/school friends are a few years younger than me so I'm more influenced by them?

^ Well actually, it's a bit strange. My "everyday/common" friends are either like 18-19, or in their 30's or 40's. Not that many inbetweens! ;D

Written By: philbo on 08/23/05 at 5:40 pm

Long hair getting fashionable?  Damn, I'm going to have to get mine cut...

Written By: Dagwood on 08/23/05 at 7:19 pm

It depends on the guy.  Some look good with long hair and some don't.

Written By: Mushroom on 08/23/05 at 9:14 pm

Hair styles come an go.

I myself am wearing my hair below my shoulders.  But since I only cut it every 2-3 years, it will be that way until I cut it again.

Written By: Alchoholica on 08/23/05 at 9:37 pm

Yeah, it's coming around again.. thankfully, i can maintain my unfashionable edge by having it even longer than the rest. Metal Frontman Style!

Written By: Gis on 08/24/05 at 3:04 am

Too be honest I never noticed it go out of fashion.I work at a university and live in a city filled with students and there have always been guys with shoulder length hair about.

My other half had waist length hair until a few years ago when he had it cut off short , old pictures of him with long hair just look weird now !

Check for new replies or respond here...