inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Movies that have visited the "future"?

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/24/05 at 7:01 pm

Not surprisingly, I love the scenes in BTTF II where Doc & Marty visit 2015 from their 1985. Of course, it's pretty campy now. Obviously our real 2015 is gonna be much more realistic and nothing like that one (I'm sure it'll just be a logical outgrowth of the real 1985).

Heck, even in the late 80's when they made it, writer Bob Gale and director Robert Zemeckis purposely made a comical, exaggerated and happy future since they didn't want to be "logical" - they knew they'd be off with their predictions anyway.

Anyway, this brings to mind - how many other movies offhand have visited the future? I'd even be MORE interested to hear about any "future" that has now passed (eg: a movie made in 1970 that visited 1990). I can think of tons, but let's hear everyone else's lists and thoughts. :)

Subject: Re: Movies that have visited the "future"?

Written By: Harmonica on 08/24/05 at 7:11 pm

Escape from New York.  Parts of the movie are not realistic, for instance the twin towers still being around.  Other parts of the movies are very realistic, like life really being that bad especially in places like New York, that is of course if the liberals gain full control of the United States.

Written By: Billy Florio on 08/24/05 at 8:44 pm

Blade Runner - not a specific year (at least as far as I remember), but probably the best version of the future in a film noir universe

Terminator/Terminator 2/Terminator 3 - THey talk about the future more than actully showing it (though the first movie shows it for a bit)...kinda unrealistic, dont ya think?  Well, except for the technology taking over part

2001: A Space Odyessy - no explaination needed

and though not a movie: Futurama - though a future like that would be interesting. 

how bout 1984? lol

Written By: jackas on 08/24/05 at 10:25 pm

How about the 1960 version of The Time Machine. ::)  Their idea of what the future looks like is quite laughable.  It's bad, very bad.

Written By: woops on 08/24/05 at 11:13 pm

Though not a full length movie, but there was a Bugs Bunny cartoon which Elmer Fudd wakes up in the year 2000 and had a "futuristic" looking rifle and an article in the newspaper stating that smell o vision had replaced television.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/24/05 at 11:28 pm

Blade Runner - not a specific year (at least as far as I remember), but probably the best version of the future in a film noir universe

I read that book in high school and loved it - dark and creepy but interesting. That's some time in the 2020's and is alot darker - probably more typical of movies and TV shows that portray the future.

and though not a movie: Futurama - though a future like that would be interesting.

Yeah, it's kinda like BTTF II's 2015 in the sense that it's not only a generally funny and bright future, but it feels more "comfortable" since many things are recognizeable to us (even if just as in-jokes to the present). ;)

how bout 1984? lol

I always wondered about that - never seen it but looks interesting. I used to think it was a 1940's style prediction of what 1984 would be like (controlled by the government and Big Brother), but I think it was more of a cautionary "this is what the year 1984 could look like if we're not careful".

Written By: Billy Florio on 08/25/05 at 9:11 pm

I read that book in high school and loved it - dark and creepy but interesting. That's some time in the 2020's and is alot darker - probably more typical of movies and TV shows that portray the future.

Do androids dream of electric sheep though is a lot different than the movie

I always wondered about that - never seen it but looks interesting. I used to think it was a 1940's style prediction of what 1984 would be like (controlled by the government and Big Brother), but I think it was more of a cautionary "this is what the year 1984 could look like if we're not careful".

well, that's what it is.  The only reason the year is 1984 is because Orwell took the year he wrote it  in (1948) and switched the last two numbers.  Read the book if you havent.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/26/05 at 8:23 pm

^ Good thing he didn't make it in 1950. That would've taken him back to 1905. ;D

BTW, I did some searching on IMDB.com about Escape from New York - sounds like a cool movie, I'll have to check it out. According to what I read, they were in a Universe that differed from the "real" one some time in the 70's. There was a major war, so by 1997 it was nothing like how ours was - and no doubt, people in 1981 knew the real 1997 wouldn't be like that.

I do, however, remember Escape from LA back in (you guessed it!) 1997 and it was about 2013. I remember wanting to go see it, but never did. They probably make more sense when seen together, though.

Written By: Powerslave on 08/27/05 at 2:34 am

"Demolition Man" and "Time Cop" are two that come to mind. The second one is really lame. "Demolition Man" had some nice social satire mixed up in the silly action plot.

Oh yeah, "2001: A Space Odyssey" was made in 1968 and set in 2001. And, of course, didn't come true.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/27/05 at 7:37 am

"Metropolis" was made back in the thirties but is still a great movie.  "Soylent Green" remains one of my
all time favorite movies

Written By: Mushroom on 08/27/05 at 11:04 am

"Metropolis" was made back in the thirties but is still a great movie.  "Soylent Green" remains one of my
all time favorite movies

Metropolis is a classic.  You should also check out the Anime movie of the same name.

Chuck also made some great other great movies set in the future.  Omega Man is a retelling of "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson.  It was made earlier in a movie staring Vincent Price called "Last Man On Earth".  That movie was the origin of the "Night Of The Living Dead" concept.  And who can forget the "Planet Of The Apes" series.

There is also "12 Monkeys" by Terry Gilliam.  A frightning movie that deals with eco-terrorists releasing a disease.

Philip K Dick is the father of a great many stories with strange views of the future.  Blade Runner, Total Recall, Screamers, Imposter, and Minority Report are all based on his work.  The Matrix was heavily influenced by his style, most specifically in making the viewer question what is real and what is fantasy.

Of course, there is always the more obscure titles, like the TV show "Quark", and the early John Carpenter movie "Dark Star".

Written By: Harmonica on 08/27/05 at 12:13 pm

"Demolition Man" and "Time Cop" are two that come to mind. The second one is really lame. "Demolition Man" had some nice social satire mixed up in the silly action plot.

Oh yeah, "2001: A Space Odyssey" was made in 1968 and set in 2001. And, of course, didn't come true.

"We're Police Officers, we're not trained to deal with Violence"

Written By: Powerslave on 08/27/05 at 12:21 pm

"We're Police Officers, we're not trained to deal with Violence"

Haha yeah. Great line.

Written By: Harmonica on 08/27/05 at 3:56 pm

The movie I watched last night because I couldn't sleep "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" ;D

Gotta love the spoof Daffy Duck did something along the lines of "Duck Dodgers in the 21st and half  CEN....TUR....REE!"

Written By: Mushroom on 08/27/05 at 5:26 pm

Next time you watch Demolition Man, watch for the name of the prisoner released right before Simon Phoenix.  The person released right before him is...

Scott Peterson!

Written By: Harmonica on 08/27/05 at 6:48 pm

My kids loooooove that :)

I think it's so cool how cartoons from over 4 decades ago are still going strong with today's generation.  Looney Toons...Forever.

Written By: ralfy on 10/07/16 at 4:03 am

"Can You Unravel the Mystery of the New Blade Runner Title?"

What we know of the film so far is that the original, which came out a little more than 30 years ago, was set in 2019 and its sequel will take place a few decades afterward.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/news/a49344/blade-runner-2-title-photo/

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/23/16 at 1:59 pm

Demolition Man is one of my favorites. It's funny because of how ridiculously unrealistic it is, especially with every restaurant being Taco Bell. Also with the beginning of the movie set in 1996 (3 years after the film's release), how Los Angeles turned into a war zone based on if the urban violence trend of the early 90's continued to increase.

Another movie that had an unrealistic vision of the future is the 2005 film "The Island". It was set in the late 2010's. The only thing that movie got right is there will be a skyscraper in Los Angeles that is taller than the US Bank Tower.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/23/16 at 2:55 pm

The only movie that I saw which took place in the future, was A.I. Artificial Intelligence. It took place in the 2070s, I think.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/24/16 at 10:36 pm

Not a movie but this is what people from the year 1900 predicted what the year 2000 would look like

http://www.allcoolandnew.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/historical-future-predictions-4.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...