inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 2005 VMAs!

Written By: DeutscherGirl on 08/29/05 at 12:00 am

So, what did everyone think about it? I was thinking it wasn't going to be that great just because of my low opinion on most of todays music, but I have say I was quite surprised with the performances and the award winners!

I know it is not one of the better VMAs that has aired, but it was still quite good I thought. Trust me, this is from someone who does not watch MTV. I haven't watched MTV in a very long time but I do watch the awards, just because I have for about as long as I can remember.

Have to say I am very happy for Green Day who won 7 out of the 8 awards they were nominated for, including the Viewers Choice Award and Best Video of the Year!!! Rock on!

One of the other highlights for me was seeing Gwen Stefani win that $100,000 for a charity of her choice, just for being considered one of the best dressed there.

So, what did everyone else think about the show? Favourite moments, performances? Least favourites?

Baby

Subject: Re: The 2005 VMAs!

Written By: Jessica on 08/29/05 at 12:03 am

I watched some of it, but then I got sick of Diddy talking about himself and turning the damned show into a Diddyfest, so I changed the flippin' channel.

I thought it sucked, but that's just me. :P

Written By: 90s boy on 08/29/05 at 12:06 am

they should stop doing it in Miami and go back to New York they had bad luck last year

Written By: DeutscherGirl on 08/29/05 at 12:14 am

they should stop doing it in Miami and go back to New York they had bad luck last year

That I most definitely agree with...I have always associated the VMAs with Radio City....Why they changed that I don't know, but it was really a turn off for me.

Like I said, I'm not hailing this as the best VMAs ever, and I pretty much ignored the host because I can't stand his ego, but there were parts of it that I thought deserve a mention. :)

Baby

Written By: CSM1986 on 08/29/05 at 1:01 am

MTV has become a Joke. MTV hasn't been any good since 1998

And this VMA's was a Joke for the Rap Scene.  Suge Knight gets shot in the Leg (Not a bad thing really), Fat Joe disses G-Unit while on Stage, and then G-Unit hits back at Fat Joe later by using every 5 Letter Word in the Vulgar Dictionary.  I'm telling you, these rappers are gonna get themselves killed over the corniest sh*t

Overall, I didn't enjoy this show at all. And I'm very angry that the VMA's isn't in New York anymore

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/29/05 at 12:41 pm

The VMAs haven't been good for about 10 years now! They either need to reformat it or kill it all together.

Written By: Maddie's The Boss on 08/29/05 at 4:19 pm

Not suprised that Green Day won Video of the Year, they're the only good &  talented band that was on the show...

I miss 1995, though ironically Green Day had a couple of nominations, but didn't win one... They did win one in 1998

The '80's, I wish there's a DVD with it's greatest moments & performances...bonus: VMA winning videos  :D  8)

Written By: Alchoholica on 08/29/05 at 4:27 pm

Suge Knight gets shot in the Leg (Not a bad thing really)

Damn straight it's not a bad thing. But replace Leg with head. And replace shot with.. Shot several times at point blank range.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/29/05 at 6:19 pm

Congrads Green Day!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/29/05 at 7:51 pm

I watched some of it, but then I got sick of Diddy talking about himself and turning the damned show into a Diddyfest, so I changed the flippin' channel.

I thought it sucked, but that's just me. :P
I'm right there with you Jess!

Written By: Red Ant on 08/30/05 at 5:03 pm

I thought this had been cancelled years ago. MTV still plays videos huh? Well, it just came on at 5:00pm here, so I'm watching it now. My first thought was that I was watching BET and had it on the wrong channel. Nope.

It has sucked so far. Sean Puffy-Puff Daddy-diddly-dum-diddy-who? is already grating my nerves.

Oh, go to MTV and MTV Video Music Awards on this site:

http://www.jumptheshark.com/

The VMAs haven't been good for about 10 years now! They either need to reformat it or kill it all together.

I vote for a speedy euthanasia of the show and while we're killing off things of the sort the next to be put to sleep should be MTV itself.

The only good thing so far is that "Hollaback Girl" didn't win "Best Video".
If it had I'd go stock up on food and supplies as the Apocalypse would be imminent.

Edit: Just got done watching this a few minutes ago. Congrats Green Day, and Cold Play was good, so were the B&B commercials. But I must say it was a waste of 3hrs of my time to watch that show.

Written By: Schillingfan on 08/31/05 at 9:16 pm

I saw it because my 13 and 11-year-old cousins wanted to watch it when I stayed overnight at their place and when Lindsay Lohan came on, I pretty much wanted to scream because I CAN'T STAND her! Oh and who was that guy presenting Destiny's Child at the VMAs? He got friggin' annoying after 5 seconds and me and my 13-year-old cousin told him to shut up so that we would not have to listen to him anymore!

P.S.: I liked very very few of the singers on that show.

Written By: Criz on 09/02/05 at 1:57 pm

It was absolutly awful, what a disappointment. The majority of the acts were of the hip-hop genre, which I immensly dislike and even the good artists, such as The Killers, well sorry Brandon Flowers - you are so hot but you sucked! At the Oxegen festival and they were so good, so why were they bad at the VMAs?

Plus, I love Greenday, but why open with a slow song? Isn't that the first way to kill a show? Surely 'Holiday' whould have been a better opener! American Idiot may have been a little distastful, well not if it was aimed at a few of the people appearing on the show, who shall remain nameless *cough-P Diddy-cough*. Oops.

And what the hell was that R-Kelly thing all about? What a load of pointless rubbish!

Sorry, I'll stop ranting! Can you tell I wanna be a music journalist? :P

Written By: Schillingfan on 09/02/05 at 7:04 pm

It was absolutly awful, what a disappointment. The majority of the acts were of the hip-hop genre, which I immensly dislike and even the good artists, such as The Killers, well sorry Brandon Flowers - you are so hot but you sucked! At the Oxegen festival and they were so good, so why were they bad at the VMAs?

Plus, I love Greenday, but why open with a slow song? Isn't that the first way to kill a show? Surely 'Holiday' whould have been a better opener! American Idiot may have been a little distastful, well not if it was aimed at a few of the people appearing on the show, who shall remain nameless *cough-P Diddy-cough*. Oops.

And what the hell was that R-Kelly thing all about? What a load of pointless rubbish!

Sorry, I'll stop ranting! Can you tell I wanna be a music journalist? :P

I would be one too, if I can have the time to think about being one! Besides, I do a lot of ranting about what I don't like!  :)

Written By: Criz on 09/03/05 at 9:53 am

I would be one too, if I can have the time to think about being one! Besides, I do a lot of ranting about what I don't like!  :)

It's my dream to make it! Even though I did go off on a bit of a rant, I don't think I'm bitchy enough sometimes! But I'm getting there ;)

Written By: Schillingfan on 09/03/05 at 1:00 pm

It's my dream to make it! Even though I did go off on a bit of a rant, I don't think I'm bitchy enough sometimes! But I'm getting there ;)

I've already given my rants about how much I hate Good Charlotte, Lindsay Lohan and Simple Plan and others. But then I have my raves about Peter Schilling and my other favorite bands and singers!  ;)

Written By: Criz on 09/04/05 at 10:06 am

I've already given my rants about how much I hate Good Charlotte, Lindsay Lohan and Simple Plan and others. But then I have my raves about Peter Schilling and my other favorite bands and singers!  ;)

I hate hate hate Good Charlotte!! Ms Lohan should stick to acting, and I don't think I've heard enough of Simple Plans music to make a proper judgment! They're not very big over here so I'm not gonna say they're awful before I know :P I'm sure they can't be as bad as Good Charlotte, right?

Written By: tv on 09/05/05 at 12:53 am

I;m with poster "CSM 1986" that MTV hasn't been good since 1998. I;m surprised they have P. Diddy or Diddy(whatever his name is) on that show. The guy has not had a hit song since 2002. I;m glad Green Day was there. As for Fat Joe and G-Unit all this dissing in rap music is getting ridiculous. The last good rap battle was the Nas-Jay-Z a couple of years ago. I thought other good battles were Kool Moe Dee vs LL Cool J in the late 80's and also the Canibus and LL cool J back in 1998(That was a great battle.) I like a few Fat Joe songs but Fat Joe is not in the class of a Nas or LL Cool J. I didn;t watch the VMA because I don;t even care. Maybe if it was 1996 I would have cared or even 1997.

Written By: tv on 09/05/05 at 1:04 am

I hate hate hate Good Charlotte!! Ms Lohan should stick to acting, and I don't think I've heard enough of Simple Plans music to make a proper judgment! They're not very big over here so I'm not gonna say they're awful before I know :P I'm sure they can't be as bad as Good Charlotte, right?
"Lifestyles of The Rich and Famous" by Good Charlotte was actually a humorous song a couple of years ago. Well actually Good Charlotte is better than Simple Plan but that I feel doesn't say anything.

Check for new replies or respond here...