inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Homeowners' associations....the new trend

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 08/31/05 at 9:01 am

Another thread got me to thinking about the new trend for homeowners' associations.  It used to be that there were only such "boards" for condos and the like.  Now, almost every new subdivision that's built has a "homeowners' association" or "board".....even some existing ones in my area are forming them.  What do you think?  Are they necessary?  How far should they be allowed to go?

Subject: Re: Homeowners' associations....the new trend

Written By: ADH13 on 08/31/05 at 12:01 pm

Another thread got me to thinking about the new trend for homeowners' associations.  It used to be that there were only such "boards" for condos and the like.  Now, almost every new subdivision that's built has a "homeowners' association" or "board".....even some existing ones in my area are forming them.  What do you think?  Are they necessary?  How far should they be allowed to go?

I can't stand homeowners associations.  Luckily, I don't particularly like new homes either.  I do think they are a good idea for SOME people.  I can understand that some people don't want to be bothered with mowing their lawns, maintaining their roof, etc.  and enjoy the amenities (like a pool, weight room, etc) so it is worth it for them to pay the dues.

But I would never live somewhere with an association, just because I don't like being told what color I can paint my house, my front door, how high my fence can be, whether or not I can have a garage sale, how many cars I can park at my house, etc.  And also if you decide to rent the house out to a tenant, you are still stuck paying the dues.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/31/05 at 12:03 pm

I'm aware of them.  They are very strict over here, and they keep increasing their fees.  >:(

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/31/05 at 12:53 pm

It's like a small union for people in the same neighborhood.  And you know how I feel about unions ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/31/05 at 1:44 pm

I understand the reason for them. I used to have one when I lived in Texas. There was a neighborhood pool and I am assuming that the $$ went to maintain the pool. Ok, I understand that. But, I don't want anyone telling me what I can and can't do with my property-within reason. There was just a new ordinance passed in my town about junk. They don't want everyone to basically have junkyards on their property-ok, I can understand that. But, what color to paint my house, or what kind of fence I can or can't have-it is none of anyone's business!

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/31/05 at 2:13 pm

As petroleum production falls and petroleum costs rise, the suburbs as we have known them since the end of WWII will die out.  The homeowners' associations will be all dressed up with no place to go!
::)

Check for new replies or respond here...