inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Asian Film Craze

Written By: hollyweirdoe on 08/31/05 at 4:08 pm

So what do you guys think of the new craze with Asian films and remaking Asian films.  I have to admit that The Ring really really entertained me and i was jumpy for the rest of the day (and I dont scare easily).  But I thought the Grudge was just ok.  I have also realized that a lot of actual Asian films are being imported to the US.  I think Universal is releasing a lot of them. I hear J.S.A. is supposed to be really good.  I also saw Memories of Murder and loved it.  I knew it was about a Korean serial killer, but it wasnt at all what I was expecting.  I loved the humanity in it.  It wasnt a traditional horror film where there was nothing you could do about the killer.  Instead, th characters had to deal with the fact that they should be able to stop the killer, but they just cant figure out who he is.  I love it.  Definately one of the best films I have seen all years (both Asian and American).  Anyone seen it?  What did you think?  If you are interested, I found the trailer at www.memoriesofmurder.com

So, what do you guys think of Memories of Murder, any of those films, or even just the whole Asian Film craze?  Im not sure exactly how i feel.  Its both good and bad.  But at least I really I saw one good film.

Subject: Re: Asian Film Craze

Written By: danootaandme on 08/31/05 at 5:05 pm

So what do you guys think of the new craze with Asian films and remaking Asian films.  I have to admit that The Ring really really entertained me and i was jumpy for the rest of the day (and I dont scare easily).  But I thought the Grudge was just ok.  I have also realized that a lot of actual Asian films are being imported to the US.  I think Universal is releasing a lot of them. I hear J.S.A. is supposed to be really good.  I also saw Memories of Murder and loved it.  I knew it was about a Korean serial killer, but it wasnt at all what I was expecting.  I loved the humanity in it.  It wasnt a traditional horror film where there was nothing you could do about the killer.  Instead, th characters had to deal with the fact that they should be able to stop the killer, but they just cant figure out who he is.  I love it.  Definately one of the best films I have seen all years (both Asian and American).  Anyone seen it?  What did you think?  If you are interested, I found the trailer at www.memoriesofmurder.com

So, what do you guys think of Memories of Murder, any of those films, or even just the whole Asian Film craze?  Im not sure exactly how i feel.  Its both good and bad.  But at least I really I saw one good film.

I am a big fan of foreign films.  Hollywood doesn't tend to be on the cutting edge of anything.  There have been remakes of Kurosawas films  notably "The Seven Samurai" as "The Magnificent Seven"  I say bring them on with open arms, they can help shake up the rather lethargic offerings from the left coast.

Written By: Mushroom on 08/31/05 at 5:11 pm

I am a big fan of foreign films.  Hollywood doesn't tend to be on the cutting edge of anything.  There have been remakes of Kurosawas films  notably "The Seven Samurai" as "The Magnificent Seven"  I say bring them on with open arms, they can help shake up the rather lethargic offerings from the left coast.

Don't forget, "A Bug's Life" was also a remake of that classic movie.

Written By: hollyweirdoe on 09/07/05 at 6:09 pm

Amen to that, Joon-Ho Bong, the Memories of Murder writer/director, also released a film called Barking Dogs Don't Bite, which is supposed to be great, too.  But for recent Korean releases, Memories and Oldboy are the two best, period.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/07/05 at 9:25 pm

Recently I got A Better Tommorrow and A Better Tommorrow 2, starring Chow Yun Fat on DVD, they are both really good films.

Written By: Jessica on 09/10/05 at 1:46 am

I love Asian films and despise all the remakes of them (nobody should have ever remade "Shall We Dance?", especially with J. Blow as the star :P). I also have this thing for Mandarin dramas that star Li Gong. :)

Oh yeah, and the hubs has got me hooked on a bunch of Cantonese movies from Hong Kong.

Written By: NullandVoid on 09/10/05 at 3:00 am

I love Asian films and despise all the remakes of them (nobody should have ever remade "Shall We Dance?", especially with J. Blow as the star :P). I also have this thing for Mandarin dramas that star Li Gong. :)

Oh yeah, and the hubs has got me hooked on a bunch of Cantonese movies from Hong Kong.

I'm totally with you on that one. My friends have recently opened my eyes to asian cinema and I haven't looked back since. Have you seen a film that literally translates into "Pork Bun"?  If you haven't check it out. :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/10/05 at 9:38 am

Anyone here seen Ringu or Ju-on: The Grudge? They are both really creepy fims.

Written By: Jessica on 09/11/05 at 2:48 am

I'm totally with you on that one. My friends have recently opened my eyes to asian cinema and I haven't looked back since. Have you seen a film that literally translates into "Pork Bun"?  If you haven't check it out. :)

Nuh uh. And I didn't see it mentioned on IMDb. What's it about? You have intrigued me. :)

Anyone here seen Ringu or Ju-on: The Grudge? They are both really creepy fims.

I've seen Ringu, and it completely blows "The Ring" out of the water. At first I wasn't scared by it, but seven days later I could not fall asleep. Then I made the husband watch it late at night. He couldn't sleep either and I was totally amused by it. ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/11/05 at 9:52 am

I also saw Infernal Affairs and Hero recently they are both good films.

Also check out Phone, it's a pretty good film too.

Also worth checking out Akira.

Written By: NullandVoid on 09/11/05 at 2:04 pm

Nuh uh. And I didn't see it mentioned on IMDb. What's it about? You have intrigued me. :)

In a nutshell it's about this weird guy who owns a restaraunt that serves pork buns with "special Meat"....yeck :P It's really REALLY graphic Jess, so if you have a weak stomach don't watch it.

here's a better description:http://www.houseofhorrors.com/asian2.htm

Written By: Jessica on 09/12/05 at 1:06 am

In a nutshell it's about this weird guy who owns a restaraunt that serves pork buns with "special Meat"....yeck :P It's really REALLY graphic Jess, so if you have a weak stomach don't watch it.

here's a better description:http://www.houseofhorrors.com/asian2.htm

Sick. :P

Remind me not to get the barbecued pork buns on Tuesday when I go eat Dim Sum. ;D

Written By: whistledog on 09/12/05 at 1:11 am

how about this one:

http://www.williamhung.net/photos/Movies/9.jpg

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/12/05 at 10:07 am

how about this one:

http://www.williamhung.net/photos/Movies/9.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 09/12/05 at 6:29 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  ::)

How 'bout this one instead?

http://www.williamhung.net/photos/Movies/5.jpg

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/12/05 at 7:32 pm

How 'bout this one instead?

http://www.williamhung.net/photos/Movies/5.jpg

Even scarier....  ::)

Written By: ralfy on 09/27/16 at 8:14 am

"Why Hollywood keeps coming back to Seven Samurai"

The new Magnificent Seven owes everything to Akira Kurosawa’s samurai epic. It’s not the only one.

http://www.vox.com/2016/9/26/13024144/magnificent-seven-samurai-hollywood-remakes

Check for new replies or respond here...