inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Europeans: how popular are the solo Spice Girls?

Written By: Jenny on 09/04/05 at 5:10 pm

I just came back from a trip in the UK, Germany, France, and Italy and I saw Melanie C's new album "Beautiful Intentions" and wondered how they are still managing to remain in the music business after so many years.

I was intrigued to listen to the songs so I bought it and it's actually rather good, very rocky, and nobody would have guessed that those vocals once belonged to the girlband.

So my question is, are the solo spice girls big over there? I think that in a few years, if they regrouped, they could be the next ABBA, the world will be into them again and their songs will reach a second pinnacle very soon, that's what I think...

Subject: Re: Europeans: how popular are the solo Spice Girls?

Written By: Paul on 09/04/05 at 5:15 pm

Gawd knows...

I know they had solo careers, but what sort of success they've had...I'm probably not the person to ask...

But if we can send a 'frog' to #1, who knows what they could do in the future?!!

BTW, Spice Girls/ABBA comparison? Pffft! I don't think so...!

Written By: Jenny on 09/04/05 at 5:17 pm

Actually the Spice Girls and ABBA are very similar:

- catchy lyrics
- good songs but underrated at their time
- huge media popularity
- huge gay following
- weird sense of style

Written By: Paul on 09/04/05 at 5:21 pm

Actually the Spice Girls and ABBA are very similar:

- catchy lyrics
- good songs but underrated at their time
- huge media popularity
- huge gay following
- weird sense of style

The 'Girls' were style over content...see who remembers anything other than 'Wannabee' in 5 years time...

Written By: **SunniSari** on 09/04/05 at 5:25 pm

Hello! These are the latest Solo Spice Girls releases:

Melanie C - Beautiful Intentions (2005) -- she just received the "Best International Female Pop Artist" in the German Radio Awards last week!
http://foreverspice.com/spicediscography/beautifulintentions-ukcd.jpg

Her single "Better Alone" is a massive hit in Italy, Australia, and Southeast Asia...
http://foreverspice.com/spicediscography/betteralone-ukcd2small.jpg

Emma Bunton's Free Me (2004) was released earlier this year in the US, with lukewarm reception... it was a multiplatinum album in the UK...
http://foreverspice.com/spicediscography/freemealbum-eurocdsmall.jpg

Geri Halliwell has a new album, Passion, (2005) but it was a massive flop in the UK, entering at #41....
http://foreverspice.com/spicediscography/passion-ukcdsmall.jpg

Talking about flops, Melanie Brown and her "L.A. State of Mind" album performed worse... she even missed the Top 200 in albums this June in the UK...
http://foreverspice.com/spicediscography/lasom-ukcdsmall.gif

Victoria is retired from the Music Industry...

Seems like the only "successful" spices are Melanie C and Emma...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/04/05 at 6:01 pm

I heard they may be getting back together but like Paul said, any comparison to ABBA really has no merit.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 09/04/05 at 7:40 pm

Anyone hear Scary Spice's solo album? I didn't even know she had done an album. Too bad it flopped. She was always my favorite Spice Girl!

Written By: Ashley Tisdale's A Cutie on 09/04/05 at 11:42 pm

Abba & Spice Girls... two awful pop acts, though Emma (Blonde Spice)  still looks good  :)

Written By: Criz on 09/05/05 at 9:01 am

They have all been semi-successful, but not ever to the extent the Spice Girls were.

Victoria is now just known Mrs Beckham, her solo stuff never really took off and I don't think it ever will.

Mel B didn't do too badly when the Spice Girls first started bringing out solo stuff - she had a number 1 hit with Missy Elliot here in England.

Geri, Mel c and Emma have all had some big hits over, and some number 1s - but still they're not really in the big league, I mean you couldn't compare them to someone like Britney Spears or any other Pop Princesses of that sort. None of they're records have ever really made me stop and think, ooh this is really good. They're just sub-standard pop in my opinion. Then again, most pop music is sub-standard nowadays! I think the only good female solo artist of the moment is Kylie Minogue-she does it well in my opinion and she's different with it. Kylie rocks :]

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/05 at 4:30 pm

The one nicknamed "Scary" has totally disappeared now.

Check for new replies or respond here...