inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: mid-2000s songs that sound 80s

Written By: AmericanIdiot on 09/06/05 at 1:39 am

I can think of:

Mr. Brightside/Somebody Told Me - Killers
Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinand (even the title sounds eighties)
Cool - Gwen Stefani

Subject: Re: mid-2000s songs that sound 80s

Written By: woops on 09/06/05 at 1:46 am

Anything from The Sounds like "7 Days A Week" & "Living In America"

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/06/05 at 1:47 am

Kaiser Chiefs
The Futureheads

Written By: Criz on 09/06/05 at 11:20 am

I agree with those posts above most definitly, especially the synth-ness of the Killers.

I'd like to add:

Anything by the Bravery (very synth-esque)
Maximo Park - Limassol
The dead 60s - Riot Radio ( sounds very much like something the Clash would do)
The Editors - Munich

The Ordinary Boys have some ska feel to a few of their tracks, but more than anything, lyrically they remind me of Morrisseys stuff, especially with lines such as 'You loutish lads look not for love' and 'regurgitate the words you heard on Radio Two'. To me they are so reminscant of his lyrics!

I love all of the bands so far listed - maybe it's beacuse they mix Indie with the 80s - and I love the 80s and I love Indie music :)

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 09/07/05 at 1:41 am

I really like "Honest Mistake" by The Bravery.

Written By: Criz on 09/07/05 at 11:02 am

I really like "Honest Mistake" by The Bravery.

Not a bad song at all. I have to say, I din't much like their last single, but their new one 'Unconditional' is really good.'Tyrant' from the album is great too, very 80s - with its massive long synth intro, check it out :]

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 09/07/05 at 1:25 pm

80's cover songs  :)
The other week I was sitting in a movie theater and they were playing music before the movie started, and I heard a great cover of Talk Talk's "It's My Life" by No Doubt. (How long ago did this come out?)

Written By: Criz on 09/07/05 at 2:37 pm

The other week I was sitting in a movie theater and they were playing music before the movie started, and I heard a great cover of Talk Talk's "It's My Life" by No Doubt. (How long ago did this come out?)

I agree, it is a great cover! It was released Winter 2003 if I remember correctly! So it's been around a while, am surprised you haven't heard it before!

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 09/07/05 at 4:34 pm

I agree, it is a great cover! It was released Winter 2003 if I remember correctly! So it's been around a while, am surprised you haven't heard it before!
I'm getting out of touch with the newer stuff.

Written By: Criz on 09/08/05 at 6:55 am

I'm getting out of touch with the newer stuff.

It's only natural when there's so much rubbish around at the moment I guess. I went through a phase where all I listened to was 80s music a few years back (even though I'm still quite young, new music was just not doing anything for me), but I reckon music's gradually improving nowadays, with the aforementioned abands especially :)

Written By: karen on 09/08/05 at 7:22 am

the last Kelly Osborne song sounded very like Visage

Written By: Criz on 09/08/05 at 8:59 am

the last Kelly Osborne song sounded very like Visage

Infact, I thought she completly ripped off 'Fade to Grey' in 'One Word'.

Written By: karen on 09/08/05 at 9:01 am

Infact, I thought she completly ripped off 'Fade to Grey' in 'One Word'.

The lyrics in the first verse are quite similar and the melody is practically identical IMO

Written By: Criz on 09/08/05 at 1:13 pm

There are loads of dance songs out there that have sampled parts of 80s songs, such as 'In Your Arms' by Mylo  and 'Waiting For A Star To Fall' by the Sunset Strippers that sample the Boy Meets Girl song of the same title, and other songs such as Junior Jacks 'Stupidsico' which samples the Pointer sisters. All of these obviously have an 80s feel to them beacuse of their samples.

Written By: nally on 09/08/05 at 1:34 pm

I've always thought that Moby's 2002 hit "We Are All Made Of Stars" sounds kinda like an 80's new-wave song. But that wouldn't be mid-00s.

Written By: Criz on 09/08/05 at 2:23 pm

There are others:

Object of My Desire - Dana Rayne
Out of Touch - Uniting Nations
Call on Me - Eric Prydz
Everywhere - LnM Projekt
Love Me Right (Oh Sheila) - Angel City
We Close Our Eyes - Groove Cutters vs. Go West
Heaven is A Place on Earth - Soda Club
Take My Breath Away - Soda Club
Stand Back - Linus Loves
The Sun Always Shines on TV - Milk Inc
Time After Time - Novaspace

:)

And loads more to boot I bet! I have to say, that damn 'Out Of Touch' is so so catchy - but the Hall and Oats original is so so cheesy!!

By the way, where is the original sample in Angel City's 'Love Me Rught', beacuse I knew the song sounded familiar when I first heard it, but didn't know it was a sample!?

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/11/05 at 6:22 am

Cool topic!

Some of these have already been mentioned. Some are also a little older, but here's some 2000-05 songs that strike me as having an 80's influence:

Holiday - Green Day
Breathless - The Corrs (Shania Twain meets new wave)
The Remedy - Jason Mraz (nothing else on that album was like this, unfotunately!)
So Long Astoria - Ataris
Somebody Told Me and "Change Your Mind" - The Killers
Cool - Gwen Stefani
Girl all the Bad Guys Want and "Surf Colorado" - Bowling for Soup
Calling all Destroyers - Tsar (very underrated band)
I Predict a Riot - Kaiser Chiefs (a modernized mix of 70s punk and 80s new wave)

And a couple 80's cover songs that retain the 80's influence

Don't Dream it's Over - Sixpence None the Richer
Boys of Summer - Ataris
It's My Life - Gwen Stefani

Written By: whistledog on 09/11/05 at 11:49 am

And loads more to boot I bet! I have to say, that darn 'Out Of Touch' is so so catchy - but the Hall and Oats original is so so cheesy!!

By the way, where is the original sample in Angel City's 'Love Me Rught', beacuse I knew the song sounded familiar when I first heard it, but didn't know it was a sample!?

"Love Me Right (Oh Sheila)" is a re-worked version of the 1985 hit Oh Sheila by Ready For the World  :)

I really like Angel City.  The singer LAra McAllen is such a babe  :)

Written By: Criz on 09/12/05 at 11:34 am

"Love Me Right (Oh Sheila)" is a re-worked version of the 1985 hit Oh Sheila by Ready For the World  :)

I really like Angel City.  The singer LAra McAllen is such a babe  :)

Thanks, that one's been bugging me since the day I heard it! Although at the time I thought it sounded like it was from the mid 90s - I think it's got more of a 90s feel to it than 80s. Sorta fits in the genre of old skool dance songs from around 10 years ago IMO :)

Written By: whistledog on 09/12/05 at 3:00 pm

Thanks, that one's been bugging me since the day I heard it! Although at the time I thought it sounded like it was from the mid 90s - I think it's got more of a 90s feel to it than 80s. Sorta fits in the genre of old skool dance songs from around 10 years ago IMO :)

It does have that 90's NRG feel to it  8)

Written By: bj26 on 09/13/05 at 11:13 am

I can think of:

Mr. Brightside/Somebody Told Me - Killers
Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinand (even the title sounds eighties)
Cool - Gwen Stefani

I think a bunch of songs for the Killers, Hot Fuss album sound like the 80s, maybe every song, they all kind of have that synth pop style!  The Killers sound a bit like Echo and the Bunnmen and Frankie Goes to Holliday.

Written By: Criz on 09/15/05 at 2:35 pm

I think a bunch of songs for the Killers, Hot Fuss album sound like the 80s, maybe every song, they all kind of have that synth pop style!  The Killers sound a bit like Echo and the Bunnmen and Frankie Goes to Holliday.

You sure they didn't go to Hollywood, hun? :) I do stuff like that all the time, as my name's Christina, when I don't contentrate I tend to write 'Happy Christina' in my Christmas cards :/ oops!

Anyway, just thought of another 80's sounding song:

Battle - Tendancy (These guys haven't had a major breakthrough yet, but NME like them! The song is very synthy.)

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 09/15/05 at 2:54 pm

The lyrics in the first verse are quite similar and the melody is practically identical IMO

She totally got it from Visage's "Fade To Grey" from 1981. Great song. Her take wasn't bad though.

Written By: Criz on 10/03/05 at 5:51 am

I think Rachel Stevens new song 'I said Never Again' sounds very 80s.

Also the Yeah Yeah Yeah's are very 80s inspired - 'Y-Control' is so synthy, I love it :)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 10/03/05 at 6:02 am

I think Rachel Stevens new song 'I said Never Again' sounds very 80s.

Also the Yeah Yeah Yeah's are very 80s inspired - 'Y-Control' is so synthy, I love it :)

I think it's a complete rip off of ADAM AND THE ANTS - Ant Music.  (1980)

She should have stayed in that band S Club, going solo shows her clear lack of musical talent.

Written By: Criz on 10/03/05 at 8:06 am

I think it's a complete rip off of ADAM AND THE ANTS - Ant Music.  (1980)

She should have stayed in that band S Club, going solo shows her clear lack of musical talent.

You know what, I knew I recognised it, so that's where its from - Ant music! That's been bugging me!!

She's just stunning, and that's why she has a career IMO. However, I'm glad S Club did split up, cause they started to get REALLY annoying music-wise!

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 10/03/05 at 11:10 am

You know what, I knew I recognised it, so that's where its from - Ant music! That's been bugging me!!

She's just stunning, and that's why she has a career IMO. However, I'm glad S Club did split up, cause they started to get REALLY annoying music-wise!

She is a really pretty girl, and sorry if you love her singing but I can't stand her voice, imo she'd do better wearing lovely clothes and standing in front of a camera  ;D ;D

I kinda liked S Club - but yeah they did get a bit annoying towards the end..REACH!!  for the Stars    ;D ;D

Written By: Criz on 10/05/05 at 6:00 am

She is a really pretty girl, and sorry if you love her singing but I can't stand her voice, imo she'd do better wearing lovely clothes and standing in front of a camera   ;D ;D

I kinda liked S Club - but yeah they did get a bit annoying towards the end..REACH!!  for the Stars    ;D ;D

Don't worry, I can hardly say I love her singing! I just don't find her TOO annoying. Well, at least not as annoying as some other contemporary pop-princesses.

Check for new replies or respond here...