inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tennis, Anyone?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/11/05 at 4:05 pm

Does anyone else follow tennis at all. Today Andre Agassi at age 35, is playing in the US Open Final against 24 year old Rodger Federer in New York.

Subject: Re: Tennis, Anyone?

Written By: Paul on 09/11/05 at 4:48 pm

Well, I'm British, Mark...so that rules me out!!

Good luck to the young feller Agassi - I don't really like Federer much...

...after all, he hasn't appeared in coffee commercials!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/11/05 at 5:57 pm

Well, I'm British, Mark...so that rules me out!!

Good luck to the young feller Agassi - I don't really like Federer much...

...after all, he hasn't appeared in coffee commercials!
;D
Well Paul, it seems like Federer is going to take it. Andre had the 3rd set all but won but couldn't finish it out. Rodger is on the way, up 2 sets to 1 and up 4-0 in the 4th :-\\

On the women's side, last night Kim Clisters beat Mary Pierce. BOTH were very gracious unlike those snobby Williams sisters, who when they lose always blame themselves rather than give any credit to the winner ::)

Written By: Apricot on 09/13/05 at 5:31 am

I try to PLAY Tennis.. I'm not very good, though.. it's a good, fun workout, it is.

Written By: joedeertae on 09/13/05 at 8:32 am

I try to PLAY Tennis.. I'm not very good, though.. it's a good, fun workout, it is.

Same here... I play occasionally (like twice a year ::) ) but I don't relly keep up with it too much.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 09/13/05 at 8:42 am

I enjoy playing Tonsil Tennis  ;D ;D

Written By: joedeertae on 09/13/05 at 8:49 am

I enjoy playing Tonsil Tennis  ;D ;D

now you sound like Howard!  ;D ;D :D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/13/05 at 1:33 pm

I LOVE to play! Me and my old best friend Randy used to play 5 set matches in the Summer heat a lot, back in the late 80's, early 90's. My mom and I used to hit the ball around a bit but not since 2000, when she broke an ankle. She's 84 and still wants to play but can't...so we take walks instead :)

Written By: maddog on 09/13/05 at 4:19 pm

I read in the newspaper that Federer won, although I didn't see the match at all. In the newspaper report, Agassi said that Federer had a touch of genius and is the greatest player he's ever seen - high praise indeed. Federer has had a stranglehold over the Wimbledon title for the last few years and he's undoubtedly an awesome player but he's just.....DULL! Personally I prefermy sporting heroes with a touch of irreverancy or unconventionality. Give me John McEnoe over Bjorn Borg any day (showing my age).

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/13/05 at 4:44 pm

I read in the newspaper that Federer won, although I didn't see the match at all. In the newspaper report, Agassi said that Federer had a touch of genius and is the greatest player he's ever seen - high praise indeed. Federer has had a stranglehold over the Wimbledon title for the last few years and he's undoubtedly an awesome player but he's just.....DULL! Personally I prefermy sporting heroes with a touch of irreverancy or unconventionality. Give me John McEnoe over Bjorn Borg any day (showing my age).

O yes, those were the days...  ;D Remember The Brat..? * That ball was in by at least a mile *

Written By: Paul on 09/13/05 at 4:48 pm

Federer has had a stranglehold over the Wimbledon title for the last few years and he's undoubtedly an awesome player but he's just.....DULL!

Swiss, isn't he?

That probably explains it!

He's probably been having lessons from Henman!

The first ones I remember to 'break the mould' was Ilie Nastase and Jimmy Connors...(showing my age too!)

Written By: Paul on 09/13/05 at 5:09 pm

Remember The Brat..? * That ball was in by at least a mile *

Remember it? I'm trying my utmost to forget it...!!

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/13/05 at 5:52 pm

Tennis ain't a bad game. I personally prefer Badminton (smaller court) but Tennis is good fun.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/13/05 at 6:48 pm

First of all, I think the match turned when he won that 3rd set tiebreak. I think Andre lost all his chances after that.  I did love the players in both the men's and women's finals, winners and losers, and the way they praised thier opponents instead of making excuses for thier losses or bragging about how great they played...ala the Williams sisters ::)

I miss Conners, Newcombe, Stan Smith and Borg as well, along with the late Vitas Gerulaitis :\'(

Written By: Lara Spencer on 09/13/05 at 7:11 pm

;D
BOTH were very gracious unlike those snobby Williams sisters, who when they lose always blame themselves rather than give any credit to the winner ::)

I did love the players in both the men's and women's finals, winners and losers, and the way they praised thier opponents instead of making excuses for thier losses or bragging about how great they played...ala the Williams sisters ::)

I miss Conners, Newcombe, Stan Smith and Borg as well, along with the late Vitas Gerulaitis :\'(

You hate the Williams sisters so much because they have no class, but you miss Conners?  Weird...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/13/05 at 10:54 pm

You hate the Williams sisters so much because they have no class, but you miss Conners?  Weird...
Yup, they have no class..and well, actually I miss the era more than Conners. Notice that I didn't mention Johnny Mac ;) BAD sportsmanship is unacceptable in ANY era..this one just happens to have the sisters ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/13/05 at 11:12 pm

I don't have the eyes for tennis, not even volleyball for chrissakes!
8)

Check for new replies or respond here...