inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Everybody Hates Chris - new TV show

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/13/05 at 12:19 pm

http://imdb.com/title/tt0460637/combined

Entertainment Weekly had a free DVD with the pilot on it in their latest September issue. I watched it twice. It's not as edgy as Rock's stand up, but it's quite enjoyable. My wife watched it the second time with me, and while she dislikes most of Chris Rock's work, she liked this. It has a sweet edge to it, very sitcom-ish feeling, and yet still belivable. No idea if the rest of the episodes will be as strong, but the pilot is definitely worth watching.

It was only 20 minutes long, so I'm guessing UPN runs a ton of ads. Fox should have picked this up, it would have been a better hit for them than that show they ran after the Simpsons last week. That stunk. This would have fit perfectly on the Fox sunday night line up.

Think The Wonder Years in the 1980s, where the neighborhood is filled with crack addicts.

Subject: Re: Everybody Hates Chris - new TV show

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/13/05 at 12:20 pm

Since I am a huge Chris Rock fan, I can't wait to see this show.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 09/13/05 at 2:26 pm

WONDER yEARS WITH cRACK ADDICTS????? HOW CAN IT LOSE?? LOL  CHRIS ROCK IS FRIGGIN BRILLIANT... I HOPE PEOPLE WATCH, I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS SHOW TO PREMIRE, THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP... ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/13/05 at 4:12 pm

Entertainment Weekly had a free DVD with the pilot on it in their latest September issue. I watched it twice. It's not as edgy as Rock's stand up, but it's quite enjoyable. My wife watched it the second time with me, and while she dislikes most of Chris Rock's work, she liked this. It has a sweet edge to it, very sitcom-ish feeling, and yet still belivable. No idea if the rest of the episodes will be as strong, but the pilot is definitely worth watching.

It was only 20 minutes long, so I'm guessing UPN runs a ton of ads. Fox should have picked this up, it would have been a better hit for them than that show they ran after the Simpsons last week. That stunk. This would have fit perfectly on the Fox sunday night line up.

Think The Wonder Years in the 1980s, where the neighborhood is filled with crack addicts.
I'm totally with your wife on this one, Chucky. As for giving it a chance? I will. He is very creative. I liken this to a great show about another comedians life a few years ago called "Titus"

I certainly respect your opinion on "Family Guy" though I disagree ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/13/05 at 8:20 pm

I'm totally with your wife on this one, Chucky. As for giving it a chance? I will. He is very creative. I liken this to a great show about another comedians life a few years ago called "Titus"

I certainly respect your opinion on "Family Guy" though I disagree ;)

Family Guy is ok, I watch it, but I rarely watch the same episode twice.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/13/05 at 10:56 pm

Family Guy is ok, I watch it, but I rarely watch the same episode twice.
That's cool ;) Have you ever seen "Titus?" I thought it was brilliant :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/13/05 at 11:09 pm

That would be cool!  I'd like to see a show that was a cross between "The Wonder Years" and "Repo Man."
But anyway..this one looks like a dud.
I didn't like "Raymond" either, and I feel like I'm the only one.

Written By: Powerslave on 09/14/05 at 3:56 am

You're not. Overhyped one-joke show. Raymond does something self-centred and boorish, wife berates him for it and he's too much of a jellyfish to stand up for himself, his mother turns up and criticises everyone, dad makes a wise crack. That's the whole show. And it ran for nine seasons?

Written By: kellygoo72 on 09/14/05 at 8:49 am

I LOVED TITUS... it was such a good show... I also liked "MEN BEHAVING BADLY". As a woman, I have no clue what makes men tick <NOr DO I REALLY CARE> lol... THise shows m\nailed it... they were very good show.

And now, As for Family Guy, its a smart show but as a fan of the show when it 1st aired on Fox, I think the older episodes are WAY WAY WAY better.. Too bad people werent watching them then on Fox but then, its nice to see that people caught on to what an over the edge program it really was and is.  It just seems like they are way too mainstream now and will do anything to shock, its not ORIGINAL NOW    But I still watch and enjoy for the most part. ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/14/05 at 2:41 pm

That would be cool!  I'd like to see a show that was a cross between "The Wonder Years" and "Repo Man."
But anyway..this one looks like a dud.

this has nothing in common with Raymond.  Not as formula.

My wife loves Raymond. I watched the last season with her.  I wouldn't go out of my way to see it, but it has it's moments.  Peter Boyle as the father is really the only redeeming aspect of the whole show.

I've seen every episode of Titus, and downloaded them too.  Very dark humor.  Most shows take place in just one setting.  You'll see very little of them going places, since it's meant to be like an episode out of Titus' life.  Most of the shows were loosely based on stuff that really happened to him.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/14/05 at 2:45 pm

in one scene, he mentions a previous principle at his new school, and the voice over narration says e was arrested for "...something the station censors won't let us talk about. But if he moves to your neighborhood, you'll get a warning."

Written By: danootaandme on 09/14/05 at 5:22 pm

That's cool ;) Have you ever seen "Titus?" I thought it was brilliant :)

I loved Titus and was disappointed when it went off.  Can't wait for this Chris Rock.  I think he is
brilliant  :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/15/05 at 10:49 am

Add me to the list, I think I've watched one episode and that was enough for me.

Me too! I also hated Friends.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/15/05 at 12:25 pm

I loved Titus and was disappointed when it went off.  Can't wait for this Chris Rock.  I think he is
brilliant  :)
Did you ever see the Christopher Titus stand-up routine he did a while back...I think it was on HBO? It was awesome :)

Written By: zcrito on 09/17/05 at 12:49 am

I'm interested in seeing this show but I'm not a real fan of Chris Rock. His talk of himself as a victim because he's black male grates on me after about the 100th time. No matter how well life treats him it's never enough because he's black and it's cheating him out of something. Yeah, right. He thinks a lot like Mike Tyson. But I will give the show an honest look.

As for "Everybody Loves Raymond", I never saw it as worth watching. It's best moments are when the show involves his brother Robert (Brad Garrett), but Ray's endless acting like a 10-year-old whenever his wife gets mad was insulting back when Tim Allen did it in the '90s.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/17/05 at 5:15 pm

I'm interested in seeing this show but I'm not a real fan of Chris Rock. His talk of himself as a victim because he's black male grates on me after about the 100th time. No matter how well life treats him it's never enough because he's black and it's cheating him out of something. Yeah, right. He thinks a lot like Mike Tyson. But I will give the show an honest look

So, basically what you are saying is that b/c he's a celebrity, he can't possibly still experience racism.

I'd love to live in your world. He may not feel full-blown racism, but he still gets a taste of it.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 09/17/05 at 10:55 pm

I'm interested in seeing this show but I'm not a real fan of Chris Rock. His talk of himself as a victim because he's black male grates on me after about the 100th time. No matter how well life treats him it's never enough because he's black and it's cheating him out of something. Yeah, right. He thinks a lot like Mike Tyson. But I will give the show an honest look.

As for "Everybody Loves Raymond", I never saw it as worth watching. It's best moments are when the show involves his brother Robert (Brad Garrett), but Ray's endless acting like a 10-year-old whenever his wife gets mad was insulting back when Tim Allen did it in the '90s.

U KNOW WHAT? I AGREE WITH U TO A POINT BUT WHEN U ARE BLACK, it doesnt matter how rich u are, to some and I SAID SOME, U WILL ALWAYS BE SEEN AS BLACK.. Hes good at what he does and he speaks from the heart, I cant wait to see the show and about EVERYONE<EXCEPT ME> LOVES RAYMOND...  I will never understand the appeal of that show.... My b/friend and his dad watched that show and i told them how STUPID the show is... WHY STAY WITH SOMEONE THAT TREATS U LIKE POOP???????? I didnt see the last episode but I told my b/friend AS A JOKE SO PLEASE, SINCE ITS A SHOW, NO GRIEF.... He should have had her whacked like the Sopranos!!!! ;D

Written By: zcrito on 09/18/05 at 1:17 am

So, basically what you are saying is that b/c he's a celebrity, he can't possibly still experience racism.

I'd love to live in your world. He may not feel full-blown racism, but he still gets a taste of it.

I really think it's OK for people to see themselves anyway they like, but when they start seeing themselves as victims more than likely that's when the crap starts. That's usually their reason to take advantage, abuse, or just plain destroy someone else's life. They don't care. Why should they, they're convinced they have it worse than anyone else. After working with people like that for over 15 years, believe me I know it when I see it and I'm sick of it.

If the Chris Rocks of the world are getting beat down by racism I'd like to hear about some specific examples -- so we can all compare our notes on what it's like being treated badly. Maybe someone who is white was treated the same way. Maybe.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/19/05 at 1:13 pm

I really think it's OK for people to see themselves anyway they like, but when they start seeing themselves as victims more than likely that's when the crap starts. That's usually their reason to take advantage, abuse, or just plain destroy someone else's life. They don't care. Why should they, they're convinced they have it worse than anyone else. After working with people like that for over 15 years, believe me I know it when I see it and I'm sick of it.

If the Chris Rocks of the world are getting beat down by racism I'd like to hear about some specific examples -- so we can all compare our notes on what it's like being treated badly. Maybe someone who is white was treated the same way. Maybe.

While Rock may not be experiencing it as often now that he's famous, he certainly experienced it as a child.  He was bussed from a ghetto into a lower-class, all white neighborhood in the early 80s.  If you think he was accepted there with open arms, and didn't experience racism on a daily basis in that environment, you're kidding yourself.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/19/05 at 8:54 pm

I seriously doubt, if there's any room to doubt really, that whites can compare with other persons of color about being treated harshly because of their race (solely that is). Hell, white men can't even compare their treatment as men to white women on gender inequalities.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/19/05 at 10:14 pm

I thought Chris Rock was much funnier when he was on SNL and had to restrain his vulgarity---same with Eddie Murphy.  Both Rock and Murphy have comic genius but when they're allowed to do that rowdy crowd-pleasing "****you, ****that,  ****ing **** mother****er, smack that b*tch around" schtick, with all the misogyny, toilet humor, and sex jokes their art suffers.  Rock might be much funnier on network television again.

I'm a big fan of Peter Boyle, but his character just wasn't enough to make me wanna stomach the rest of the show.  And Tim Allen just suuuuucks!

I still get scorned because I despised The Cosby Show.  People just don't understand how I could NOT like it.  I don't know why others didn't pick up on how obnoxiously arrogant Cliff and Claire Huxtable were.  Every time one of the daughers brough home a boyfriend, they spent the whole show looking down their noses at him, like he wasn't good enough if he wasn't in med school.  And there was Theo.  Theo was always in the wrong, and Cliff was always on about what a dumbass Theo was.  And there was Rudi.  Oh Rudi, make me wanna fwo up!  And then Cliff always wanted to eat a po'boy, and Claire would always harangue him about cholestorol.  The entire show was just scolding disguised as humor, it was buppie "Leave It To Beaver."  That bugged me.  Then Lisa Bonet (Denise) went on to do "A Different World."  Denise was the most benign character on Cosby, but "A Different World" introduced us to two of the the most grating characters in sitcom history, Jasmine Guy and Kadeem Hardison as Whitley and Dwayne!
I always assumed Different World was made by the same people as Cosby because it had the same kind social preachiness--but it wasn't.  I guess it was just a pox that followed Lisa Bonet!
I suppose this rant belongs on the '80s board, but today you see that Cosby is an even nastier public scold than Cliff Huxtable ever was. 

Written By: zcrito on 09/20/05 at 4:19 am

While Rock may not be experiencing it as often now that he's famous, he certainly experienced it as a child.  He was bussed from a ghetto into a lower-class, all white neighborhood in the early 80s.  If you think he was accepted there with open arms, and didn't experience racism on a daily basis in that environment, you're kidding yourself.

So being treated badly as a child, by other children no less, is racism?
He's a successful, and it appears a confident person, his experience with childhood "racism" couldn't have dragged him down too much.

And what about other children who are treated cruelly because they have a weight problem, a bad complexion, are too tall, too short or too something?

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/20/05 at 9:01 am

So being treated badly as a child, by other children no less, is racism?
He's a successful, and it appears a confident person, his experience with childhood "racism" couldn't have dragged him down too much.

And what about other children who are treated cruelly because they have a weight problem, a bad complexion, are too tall, too short or too something?

I got the impression in the TV show that it wasn't just the children.  And yes, by definition, it's racism.  Just because it's kids, and kids can be cruel, doesn't diminish it at all.  Are you saying it's only racism when the individual isn't able to overcome it?  That's ridiculous.  Is it not sexism when a woman suffers sex humor at work by her boss, because she wants to keep her job?  I guess it's only sexism if she can't stand anymore, quits and files a lawsuit.

Written By: Brian Damaged on 09/20/05 at 10:11 am

Is it not sexism when a woman suffers sex humor at work by her boss, because she wants to keep her job? I guess it's only sexism if she can't stand anymore, quits and files a lawsuit.

No I guess that's not sexism either -- she's just whining and complaining to make herself a 'victim'.  Doesn't she know that men have problems too?  ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/20/05 at 10:49 am

No I guess that's not sexism either -- she's just whining and complaining to make herself a 'victim'.  Doesn't she know that men have problems too?  ;)

yes, and it's nothing a ton of nagging won't fix

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/20/05 at 11:20 am

I still get scorned because I despised The Cosby Show.  People just don't understand how I could NOT like it.  I don't know why others didn't pick up on how obnoxiously arrogant Cliff and Claire Huxtable were.  Every time one of the daughers brough home a boyfriend, they spent the whole show looking down their noses at him, like he wasn't good enough if he wasn't in med school.  And there was Theo.  Theo was always in the wrong, and Cliff was always on about what a dumbass Theo was.  And there was Rudi.  Oh Rudi, make me wanna fwo up!  And then Cliff always wanted to eat a po'boy, and Claire would always harangue him about cholestorol.  The entire show was just scolding disguised as humor, it was buppie "Leave It To Beaver."  That bugged me.  Then Lisa Bonet (Denise) went on to do "A Different World."  Denise was the most benign character on Cosby, but "A Different World" introduced us to two of the the most grating characters in sitcom history, Jasmine Guy and Kadeem Hardison as Whitley and Dwayne!
I always assumed Different World was made by the same people as Cosby because it had the same kind social preachiness--but it wasn't.  I guess it was just a pox that followed Lisa Bonet!
I suppose this rant belongs on the '80s board, but today you see that Cosby is an even nastier public scold than Cliff Huxtable ever was. 

Max, did it annoy you that they didn't act like the stereotypical black family or that A Different World avoided any African-American stereotypes thus your term "Buppie"? I think that's what's actually in your subconscious b/c I've watched numerous white sitcom families and I don't see you mentioning any of them. Hello, Family Ties, had plenty of preachiness in some episodes? Remember Uncle Ned? Give the man a break. They threw him out b/c he drank vanilla extract and smacked Alex (which was actually funny).

The 80s were about preachy episodes; thus, the phrase "On a very special (fill in the show's name)".  Cliff wanted Theo to think for himself and not make unwise decisions. Al Bundy always eluded or just outright called Bud a dumbass. Red calls his son dumbass on every episode of That 70's Show.

Many people did not care for The Cosby Show (and subsequent show, A Different World) because it worked hard to avoid any stereotypes of African-Americans. It should also be reminded that these shows were quite diverse; whereas, other sitcoms weren't.

I'm not angry at your comment at all, so please don't read it as such. It just that you may have reaffirmed issues some people may have at with the shows in particular.

Written By: zcrito on 09/20/05 at 1:20 pm

Amazing. How did we go from Chris Rock's alleged racism over to women and how they're always victims of sexism??

To be honest, in my entire life I've never worked at a place where any female employees were treated or payed any worse than any male employee. And that's quite a few places -- corporate and non-corporate. As a matter of fact, some of the worst employees I've ever worked with have been women. And it was their endless assumption that males were keeping them down that they felt gave them the right to treat everyone else worse than they had ever been. Most of the time it wasn't work that was the problem it was their husbands. But no problem, don't deal with them, just bring it all to "sexist" work.

And it seems if it wasn't males keeping them down, guess who the next culprit was -- other women!

"Doesn't she know that men have problems too?"  No, sometimes it doesn't appear so. If you think you're a person who's got it worse than anyone else try working with a person who thinks they've got it worse than anyone else.

Written By: zcrito on 09/20/05 at 1:51 pm

I thought Chris Rock was much funnier when he was on SNL and had to restrain his vulgarity---same with Eddie Murphy.  Both Rock and Murphy have comic genius but when they're allowed to do that rowdy crowd-pleasing "****you, ****that,  ****ing **** mother****er, smack that b*tch around" schtick, with all the misogyny, toilet humor, and sex jokes their art suffers.  Rock might be much funnier on network television again.

I'm a big fan of Peter Boyle, but his character just wasn't enough to make me wanna stomach the rest of the show.  And Tim Allen just suuuuucks!

I always thought the Cosby Show was watchable only when it involved Cliff (Bill Cosby) and Theo. The rest of the time it was too "preachy" and relied on cute kids (oh look, see it jump the shark) for story lines.

Before making The Cosby Show, Bill Cosby made a movie called "Bill Cosby: Himself". It was just a filmed version of his standup routine and it was one of the funniest movies of the '80s. I haven't seen it in awhile, but my opinion of it is coming from a person who also likes "Used Cars". The Cosby Show was probably a result of that movie. It's when The Cosby Show sticks to the comedy he uses in his standup routine and in that movie (children turn normal parents into crazy people), is when it's at its best. The rest of the time it's just mediocre television.

Written By: Southern Image on 10/27/05 at 1:00 pm

I Think this show is cute. Hes not really a bad kid. I love his mom though  ;D

Written By: Ophrah on 10/27/05 at 3:07 pm

It's not bad.  Not as stupid as most sitcoms, but that's not saying much.  Not as funny as his standup of course, but okay.

Written By: Carl on 10/27/05 at 3:23 pm

Sorry, I don't watch any of todays sitcoms except the King of Queens.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 10/29/05 at 1:34 am

I Think this show is cute. Hes not really a bad kid. I love his mom though  ;D
  I Love the show... I hear Chris voice and it tickles me.. The kid that plays him has the best facial expressions... The mom is cool but the father Julius is a charm... I love the way he knows the price of everything!!! Hed be the type to amke 2ply toliet tissue, one ply!!! LOL  TOO MUCH! ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/29/05 at 1:16 pm

I am starting to really like this show!  ;D

'If you smell smoke, and your brother catches on fire, get your sister and get out of here!"

;D

Written By: kellygoo72 on 10/31/05 at 12:28 am

I am starting to really like this show!  ;D

'If you smell smoke, and your brother catches on fire, get your sister and get out of here!"

;D

That was a cute eppy.......... : ;D, Very smart show

Check for new replies or respond here...