inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Poker, sport or not?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/18/05 at 11:18 am

Apparently, poker has become so big, it's now offically declared a sport (at least by the people who play it), what do the rest of you think?  ::)

Subject: Re: Poker, sport or not?

Written By: jackas on 09/18/05 at 11:51 am

I think it's absurb to call it a sport, but Merriam-Webster says:

Sport

1 a : a source of diversion : RECREATION

Maybe so. ::)

Written By: whistledog on 09/18/05 at 11:53 am

It's not a sport unless you sweat  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/18/05 at 11:54 am

Good point!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/18/05 at 12:06 pm

It's not a sport unless you sweat  ;D

Well, when you are "All in" with only a pair of douces, don't you think you will sweat?  ;) :D ;D

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/18/05 at 12:16 pm

not a physical sport, but a mental sport; thus, it's a game.

Written By: Apricot on 09/18/05 at 12:19 pm

Isn't it obvious? It's just a game people put all over every freaking channel.. if they put video games on every channel, that wouldn't make them a sport.

Written By: whistledog on 09/18/05 at 12:22 pm

Well, when you are "All in" with only a pair of douces, don't you think you will sweat? ;) :D ;D

Cat

Depends on how much you've wagered  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/18/05 at 12:41 pm

Isn't it obvious? It's just a game people put all over every freaking channel.. if they put video games on every channel, that wouldn't make them a sport.

Tetris: The Game Show!  ::)  ;D

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/18/05 at 1:17 pm

not a physical sport, but a mental sport; thus, it's a game.

Correct.

Of course in my opinion most sports that i deem 'crap' aren't sports, but games  ;D

Written By: nally on 09/18/05 at 1:20 pm

I was thinking of starting a thread like this, because I, for one, do NOT think it's a SPORT. I think of SPORTS as games where a lot of physical activity is involved, but when you play poker, you just sit around at the table for a long period of time not doing anything. So my answer to the poll question is "No."

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/18/05 at 1:26 pm

Depends on how much you've wagered  ;D

I did say "All in"-which means if the hand is lost, you go to the "loser's lounge".  ;D

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/18/05 at 1:35 pm

I was thinking of starting a thread like this, because I, for one, do NOT think it's a SPORT. I think of SPORTS as games where a lot of physical activity is involved, but when you play poker, you just sit around at the table for a long period of time not doing anything. So my answer to the poll question is "No."

I am sorry, if I posted the idea before you...

Written By: whistledog on 09/18/05 at 1:45 pm

the only way Poker would be a sport was if one of the players was a real sore loser and then started thrashing the player who won, and the next thing you know, a fight breaks out.  Cards, wrestling boxing ...

UFC = The Ultimate Fighting Card Game  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/18/05 at 1:54 pm

the only way Poker would be a sport was if one of the players was a real sore loser and then started thrashing the player who won, and the next thing you know, a fight breaks out.  Cards, wrestling boxing ...

Well, sometimes when we play with my father-in-law, things get a bit heated. lol

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/18/05 at 2:01 pm

Beyond Pokerdome.....   ;D

or Poker Fight Club!

http://photos.yafro.com/pics3/i/20050918/12/6/1/a/61ab0f51f3a34e832681b197dde848d70_full.jpg

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/18/05 at 2:04 pm

Beyond Pokerdome.....   ;D

or Poker Fight Club!

http://photos.yafro.com/pics3/i/20050918/12/6/1/a/61ab0f51f3a34e832681b197dde848d70_full.jpg

The first rule about Poker Fight Club is you don't talk about Poker Fight Club! The second rule about Poker Fight Club is... you don't talk about Poker Fight Club!  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/18/05 at 2:07 pm

I'm with Tanya...it's a game but not a sport. Much like Fake wrestling is more like a soap opera than anything else and definately not a sport ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/18/05 at 2:11 pm

I'm with Tanya...it's a game but not a sport. Much like Fake wrestling is more like a soap opera than anything else and definately not a sport ::)

I agree as well....  ::)

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/18/05 at 2:23 pm

SWOON!

Sorry  :-[

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/18/05 at 2:31 pm

SWOON!

Sorry  :-[
;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/18/05 at 2:35 pm

;D

::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/18/05 at 2:42 pm

I agree as well....  ::)
;)

Written By: nally on 09/18/05 at 10:08 pm

I am sorry, if I posted the idea before you...

It's quite all right, Jamie... ;)

I thought of posting a topic of this nature because I've seen poker tournaments all over ESPN and ESPN2...and on FSN.

I second that...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/19/05 at 1:25 am

No, and neither is poke-her, though some might argue you score!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/05 at 2:12 am

It's not

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/19/05 at 3:34 am

"It's not"

It's a passtime  :)

Written By: karen on 09/19/05 at 4:03 am

Lots of things called 'sport' aren't really.  Poker is one of them.

Written By: whistledog on 09/20/05 at 9:37 am

Have to disagree with the "fake wrestling" because of the simple fact that there is ALOT of training and ability that goes hand in hand with "wrestling".  I mean, could most of us do 1/2 of the flips and throws these guys do?  AS much as I dislike "wrestling", I have to admit there's a lot of physical ability necessary to do it :P

I agree with that.  They do have to go through alot of training to be able to do those moves in the ring.  On top of that, they also have to memorize their lines for each show.  That's a plateful in itself  :P

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/20/05 at 9:47 am

Have to disagree with the "fake wrestling" because of the simple fact that there is ALOT of training and ability that goes hand in hand with "wrestling".  I mean, could most of us do 1/2 of the flips and throws these guys do?  AS much as I dislike "wrestling", I have to admit there's a lot of physical ability necessary to do it :P
Okay, I see your point. Yes, they ARE atheletes in the sense that they work out and do all those moves and I'm not saying they don't have talent for that but my point is that being that the matches are staged, it's not a "Sport." It's also never in the Sports section or on the Sports on TV. When I've ever seen it in the paper it's always been in the "Entertainment" section.

Written By: Brian Damaged on 09/20/05 at 11:13 am

This is just a word game. Its a sport if it fits what you mean by the word sport and its not a sport if it doesnt.  Somebody could say football is not a sport because to them a sport has to be one on one.  So what.  It is what it is.  What you call it doesn't matter.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/20/05 at 2:12 pm

This is just a word game. Its a sport if it fits what you mean by the word sport and its not a sport if it doesnt.  Somebody could say football is not a sport because to them a sport has to be one on one.  So what.  It is what it is.  What you call it doesn't matter.
I look at it this way: A real sport doesn't contain "acting" and isn't staged/faked. As for Poker...it's a card game, not a sport....IMHO :)

Written By: whistledog on 09/20/05 at 2:25 pm

I see they've pot Poker on the Speed network as well.  Poker isn;t a sport, and it sure isn't a racing sport  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/20/05 at 3:09 pm

I see they've pot Poker on the Speed network as well.  Poker isn;t a sport, and it sure isn't a racing sport  ;D

::)

Written By: nally on 09/20/05 at 5:13 pm

They've got it on the Travel Channel too... ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...