inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A Canadian $5 Coin? Damnit Jim

Written By: whistledog on 09/26/05 at 10:14 pm

http://www.thetoque.com/040120/pics/shatnercoin.jpg

http://www.thetoque.com/040120/shatnercoin.htm

THE ROYAL CANADIAN MINT -- Canada is ready to phase-in the country's first five-dollar circulation coin. Gaining approval and royal ascent for the proclamation authorizing the issue and prescribing the composition, dimensions, and design of the new coin has been a long trek, but with Canada's continuing mission to reduce the amount of paper money in circulation, a five-dollar coin was the next step. To coin a phrase, "It was only logical."

Canada's new five dollar coin features world-famous Canadian actor William Shatner. 

The new 9.2-gram Canadian coin features an effigy of William Shatner, national hero and star of film and television.

The Ministry of Public Works and Government Services has been committed to replacing paper money with coins. Millions of dollars in printing costs will be saved with the five-dollar coin, although the initial minting of $600 million worth of coins is expected to be snatched up by collectors at warp speed.

Minted coins typically have a circulation life of 25 years before they are ultimately destroyed by being placed on railroad tracks or inevitably lost down storm drains. In comparison, paper currency lasts approximately two weeks in circulation before it is irretrievably marred by tears, destroyed in your laundry, or defaced with curly ink moustaches.

Canada's five-dollar bill was often altered into the image of Mr. Spock.

William Shatner was chosen to be represented on the coin because of his status as a hero to Canadians, and especially the science fiction community, which makes up approximately 80% of the Canadian population.

Most Canadian coins are composed of standard base metals. However with Shatner on the face, they thought it more appropriate to go with a heavier metal, and ultimately chose a nickel-plated tritanium alloy.

Shatner beamed with joy when told he had been selected to be on the face of the coin.

"I can't...tell you...how happy I am," he said in halting English. "No bones about it. I hope these coins...live long...and prosper...like my career."

This coin is not a limited edition currency, but it is expected that Canadian collectors will cling-on to these coins like a rare Romulan ale--at least for the first few star-dates. Numismatists expect that for the first few months, people will have to trek for kilometres to find a bank or government office that will have them in stock, and cross-border traffic is expected to increase by warp factor 10, as Star Trek nerds will be flocking to Canada faster than fans to a nude Jolene Blalock (T'Pol) website.

Enthusiasts are searching for a nickname for the new coin.

"We've got the 'loonie' ($1 coin), and we've got the 'toonie' ($2 coin)," said Noonian Singh, coin collector and Shatner fan. "So what will we call this enterprise? The Shatty? Kirk's Koin? You'd think that the 'Trekkie' would be the logical choice, but there's just no telling what humans in the early 21st Century will ultimately decide."

The original concept for having (Bill) Shatner minted comes from the years that the Canadian $5 bill was altered using a blue ballpoint pen. The bill ostensibly shows Wilfred Laurier, a former Prime Minister. A few clever marks transformed the staid former Member of Parliament into the character "Spock" from the original television series. Coincidence? Leonard Nimoy is not a Canadian, but his former captain is.

"We want people to use this coin," said Paul Gilbert of the Royal Canadian Mint. "We don't want them to think it's some phoney carnival token. Believe me, this coin is as real as the hair on Shatner's head..."

Subject: Re: A Canadian $5 Coin? Damnit Jim

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/27/05 at 1:42 am

I don't know about $5 Star Trek coins, but these are the only Canadian mints I know:

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/images/candypix-pages/canada-mints_small1.jpg

Written By: Mushroom on 09/27/05 at 10:36 am

I am amazed that anybody would believe that!

Of course, they also show a picture of a Canadian bill with Leonard Nimoy on it.  And almost every fan should know that Nimoy is from Boston, Massachusetts.  Why would a Yank be on Canadian money?

It is a cute parody site, but I am sure that if Canada actually tried something like that, the Queen would not be amused.  :P

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/27/05 at 1:10 pm

Why not!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/27/05 at 1:20 pm

Oh PULLLLLEEEAAASSSSEEEE!!!!  With all the wonderful Canadian actors out there-William Shatner?? Somehow I doubt this is for real. For one thing, that picture shows a coin dated 2004 yet it looks like it is several decades old. I don't know if Canada has the same rules that the U.S. has-no living person, except presidents can be on postage stamps-not too sure about coinage. However, it would seem to me that the only living person on a Canadian coin would be the reigning monarch.  To put it mildly, this is total B.S.!!!

Cat

Written By: limblifter on 09/27/05 at 6:10 pm

Of course, they also show a picture of a Canadian bill with Leonard Nimoy on it.  And almost every fan should know that Nimoy is from Boston, Massachusetts.  Why would a Yank be on Canadian money?

That's a picture of a real five dollar bill with spocks hair, ears and eyebrows drawn on it. We've been doing that for years :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/27/05 at 6:27 pm

That's a picture of a real five dollar bill with spocks hair, ears and eyebrows drawn on it. We've been doing that for years :D

Just a bit off-topic here but HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...