inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who Are Your Favorite SNL Cast Member(s)?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/27/05 at 10:17 pm

I know the show has been on for ages....but since it is still going on...I decided to put this topic in the 2000's section.

So....who are your favorite Saturday Night Live cast member(s)?

Mine are as follows:

Chris Kattan
Molly Shannon
Will Ferrell
Ana Gasteyer
Tina Fey

Erin :)

Subject: Re: Who Are Your Favorite SNL Cast Member(s)?

Written By: whistledog on 09/27/05 at 10:29 pm

Chris Kattan and Will Ferrel were two of my favourites.  That Butabi brothers bit they did was excellent.  Remember the one where Sly Stallone as his Rocky character went clubbing with the Butabi's  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/27/05 at 10:32 pm

Chris Kattan and Will Ferrel were two of my favourites.  That Butabi brothers bit they did was excellent.  Remember the one where Sly Stallone as his Rocky character went clubbing with the Butabi's  ;D

yes, I remember that one! Have you seen, "Night at the Roxbury"?? That movie is funny!

Written By: whistledog on 09/27/05 at 10:39 pm

yes, I remember that one! Have you seen, "Night at the Roxbury"?? That movie is funny!

I loved Night at the Roxbury.  "EMILIO!  EMILIO!"  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/27/05 at 10:41 pm

I loved Night at the Roxbury.  "EMILIO!  EMILIO!"  ;D

those two work SO well off of each other....they are hilarious!! ;D

Written By: kimmers on 09/28/05 at 5:49 pm

Of the recent SNL cast members:

Will Ferrell anytime he was in a skit with Cheri Oteri
Molly Shannon
Jimmy Fallon

Of the original Not Ready for Prime Time Players (I'm dating myself I know)
Gilda Radner
Bill Murray
and of course Belushi!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/05 at 6:03 pm

Two of the most talented "cast" members of early SNL were not "cast" members at all.
Steve Martin and Bill Murray were frequent guests, but not full time cast members.
Chevy Chase was only on the cast for about three seasons, but I seem to recall he showed up quite a bit thereafter.

Don't forget the talent introduced by '80s SNL:

Martin Short
Billy Crystal
Dana Carvey
John Lovitz
Mike Myers
Mary Gross
Christopher Guest
Julia Louis Dreyfuss
The Halls, Brad and Rich
Victoria Jackson
(and I hate to mention)
Dennis Miller

For me, John Belushi (God rest his doped-out soul) will always epitomize what was great about SNL.  Belushi is almost synonymous with SNL.  So I'd say he's my all-time favorite.
For most talented cast member overall, it's still Billy Crystal.

SNL has had some solid talent over the past ten years, but I think it "jumped the shark" in 1990.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/28/05 at 6:07 pm

I like everyone that's ever been on that show....EXCEPT Colin Quinn :P

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/28/05 at 6:16 pm

Most of the original cast (except Laraine Newman), Eddie Murphy (When he was actually funny), Joe Piscopo (ditto), and Cheri Oteri.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/05 at 6:21 pm

I like everyone that's ever been on that show....EXCEPT Colin Quinn :P

There's a bunch I haven't liked, and Colin Quinn is definitely one of them!
I'm glad Comedy Central at least had the sense to cancel "Tough Crowd."  More like 'tard crowd!

Most of the original cast (except Laraine Newman), Eddie Murphy (When he was actually funny), Joe Piscopo (ditto), and Cheri Oteri.

I liked Laraine Newman.  I thought she was hot!  I didn't see her as part of the Talent, just a good character for sketches.  Sort of like the way Carol Cleveland was on Monty Python's Flying Circus.
I agree about Eddie Murphy, when he was funny, he had me in stitches.  When he went out and started making mean-spirited AIDS jokes, he lost me.  Joe Piscopo was funny at times, but he was a lightweight (until he started lifting weights). 

A guy I cannot stand is Jim Breuer.  He's a big no-talent macho-trip comic who had a really gross routine about his wife going into labor.  Plus he tried to fuse stand-up with rock 'n' roll-style stage performing.  A total dud!

I really enjoy the two kids they had doing Weekend Update lately.  Jimmy Fallon is one, and I can't remember that woman's name.  Anyway, they have great rapport.  It's an improvement over Norm McDonald for sure!

Written By: whistledog on 09/28/05 at 6:31 pm

I liked Kevin Nealon as the host of Weekend Update.  His catch phrase "I'm Kevin Nealon and that's news to me" somehow always made me laugh  ;D

I never really took to Colin Quinn.  He was OK, but he's no Norm MacDonald LOL

Written By: YWN on 09/28/05 at 6:39 pm

My favorite:  Will Ferrel

My least favorite:  Jimmy Fallon

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/28/05 at 9:10 pm

I really enjoy the two kids they had doing Weekend Update lately.  Jimmy Fallon is one, and I can't remember that woman's name.  Anyway, they have great rapport.  It's an improvement over Norm McDonald for sure!

That would be Tina Fey....she's actually a writer for the show, as well as an actress.  I think the two of them together are great as well.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/28/05 at 11:29 pm

There's a bunch I haven't liked, and Colin Quinn is definitely one of them!

;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/29/05 at 12:33 am

I liked Kevin Nealon as the host of Weekend Update.  His catch phrase "I'm Kevin Nealon and that's news to me" somehow always made me laugh  ;D

I never really took to Colin Quinn.  He was OK, but he's no Norm MacDonald LOL

Kevin Nealon was hilarious on the news.  Nealon was sort of a quieter, more subtle version of Chevy.

Don't forget Phil Hartmann (R.I.P.), he did the BEST Clinton ever!  Too bad his wife had to go psycho on his azz!
:\'(

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/05 at 12:39 am

Kevin Nealon was hilarious on the news.  Nealon was sort of a quieter, more subtle version of Chevy.

Don't forget Phil Hartmann (R.I.P.), he did the BEST Clinton ever!  Too bad his wife had to go psycho on his azz!

Hartman's Clinton impression was flawless.  He also did a great Ed McMahon.  I really miss him  :\'(

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/29/05 at 2:42 am

Even though Gilda Radner may be a bit of a common choice, I liked her a lot. Mike Myers and Dana Carvey (who could forget the Church Lady, his George Bush impersonations, and of course being Wayne's sidekick as Garth) have also been favorites of mine - and one who hasn't been admittedly selected as a member, but I think is in that  8 timer club, - Christopher Walken. Justin Timberlake gets an honorable mention for being a guest star, but really tackling each skit with great comic skill. No one would ever think he'd pull it off!

Written By: YWN on 09/29/05 at 8:05 am

I remember Weekend Update was my least favorite part of SNL, when Fallon was around.  Looking into the camera and laughing...that bastard.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/29/05 at 1:22 pm

All of the orginal Not Ready for Prime Time Players: Dan, John, Jane, Chevy, Bill (even though he was not one of the orginals), Garrett, Lorraine, and Gilda.  I also like Dana Carvey, Eddie Murphy, and Martin Short. Other frequent guest-Steve Martin, Al Frankin, and Tom Davis.

Cat

Written By: Lara Spencer on 09/29/05 at 1:47 pm

Eddie Murphy
Billy Crystal
Phil Hartman
Dana Carvey
Martin Short
Sherrie O'Terri

Written By: danootaandme on 09/29/05 at 5:41 pm

Am I the only one who found(finds) SNL pretty tired?  I kept expecting to laugh.  Every once in a while I
tune in, but usually not for too long.

Written By: YWN on 09/29/05 at 6:50 pm

SNL officially died when Will Ferrel left.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/29/05 at 9:56 pm

Even though Gilda Radner may be a bit of a common choice, I liked her a lot. Mike Myers and Dana Carvey (who could forget the Church Lady, his George Bush impersonations, and of course being Wayne's sidekick as Garth) have also been favorites of mine - and one who hasn't been admittedly selected as a member, but I think is in that  8 timer club, - Christopher Walken. Justin Timberlake gets an honorable mention for being a guest star, but really tackling each skit with great comic skill. No one would ever think he'd pull it off!

Gilda was awesome!  Who could forget Roseanne Roseannadanna?  I still think of that character when it comes to a certain type of loud, obnoxious ladies with big hair!
;)

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Roseannadanna.jpg

Then there was her signature hit, "Let's Talk Dirty to the Animals," which the FCC said the radio stations couldn't play, but they played it anyway!
http://home.rochester.rr.com/dietch/lyrics/letstalk.txt
To give credit where credit is due, it was written by SNL writer Michael O'Donoghue, but it was Gilda who breathed life into it.  The lyrics alone don't do the song justice...it's about delivery!

If Radner hadn't been misdiagnosed in the early stages of her ovarian cancer she might still be with us today.

Myers and Carvey were the dynamic duo of SNL for several years.  "Waynes World" was one of the best recurring SNL sketches ever.  Wayne and Garth were a pair of bumpkins to rival Bob and Doug McKenzie!  Like the McKenzie Brothers,* Wayne and Garth introduced their own pop culture lexicon.  If you said, "Party time, excellent!!," or "Hey, sphincter boy" in  1992 people knew exactly where you were coming from, as much as if you said, "Take off, hoser!" or "Where's my beer, eh?" in 1982.  As with the McKenzies, where you had a meta-phenomenon of Americans saying "hoser" and "eh" in the Canadian accent, you had kids everywhere in the early '90s saying "No way! Way! No way! Way!..." and "Very funny--NOT!!"
The "Waynes World" movies tooootallly played the Wayne and Garth characters to death, and I thought they got too cleaned up and "family values" safe on the big screen.  But Myers and Carvey still made the movies worth watching because their great rapport and comic genius.

http://www.nypost.com/photos/rev07122004083a.jpg
http://onlineg.com/mck2.jpeg

*I may be wrong, but I think the McKenzie Brothers sketch, with Rick Moranis as Bob McKenzie and Dave Thomas as Doug McKenzie, only appeared on Second City Television for about two years (1980, 1981).  American audiences got to know them second hand.  There was the xmas novelty hit, the McKenzie Brothers' version of "The Twelve Days of Christmas," which Dr. Demento started playing in the fall of '82, and the movie "The Adventures of Bob and Doug McKenzie" which, I think, was released in early '83.  Still, I seem to remember the McKenzie lingo going around by the mid 1982, even though American audiences would have had limited exposure to Bob and Doug at that point.
Anyway...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/30/05 at 4:19 pm

Gilda was awesome!  Who could forget Roseanne Roseannadanna?  I still think of that character when it comes to a certain type of loud, obnoxious ladies with big hair!

I always like her as Emily Litella ;D

Written By: Billy Florio on 09/30/05 at 8:50 pm

John Beluchi
Gilda Radner
Garrett Moriss
Dan Akyroid
Bill Murray (who was a full time cast member)
Eddie Murphy
Jon Lovitz
Dennis Miller
Phil Hartman
Dana Carvey
Kevin Nelon
Chris Farley
Norm McDonald
Will Farrell
Amy Pohler
Tina Fey
Will Forte

Ones I hate:
anyone on the 1986 season besides Miller, Lovitz and Nora Dunn, Jimmy Fallon, Chris Kattan doing any reoccuring character, Molly Shannon doing any reoccuring character.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/30/05 at 9:56 pm

A definite low point for the series was '85-'86 when they had among others Anthony Michael Hall, Joan Cusack, and Randy Quaid.  It's not that the cast was so bad--all three of the aforementioned are quite talented--it's that the series was reeling from the loss of Billy Crystal, Martin Short, Harry Shearer, Christopher Guest, Tim Kazurinsky, Rich Hall, Brad Hall, Larry David, among others.

Written By: Billy Florio on 10/01/05 at 2:09 pm

A definite low point for the series was '85-'86 when they had among others Anthony Michael Hall, Joan Cusack, and Randy Quaid.  It's not that the cast was so bad--all three of the aforementioned are quite talented--it's that the series was reeling from the loss of Billy Crystal, Martin Short, Harry Shearer, Christopher Guest, Tim Kazurinsky, Rich Hall, Brad Hall, Larry David, among others.

Larry David never made an impact on the show...he wrote one skit that got air. 

I dont remember Brad Hall ever being funny. 

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 10/01/05 at 3:50 pm

My ABSOLUTE FAVORITE era of Saturday Night Live was the late 80s and early 90s.  From roughly the time of 1987 to early 1992 was the most hilarious years of SNL.  They covered everything political from Reagan's final years, Bush Sr. in office, and a then young hopeful in Bill Clinton.  

Dana Carvey, Mike Meyers, Dennis Miller, Jon Lovitz, Victoria Jackson, Kevin Nealon, Tim Meadows, Chris Farley, Chris Rock when he was younger, and G.E. Smith and the SNL band.  Those were the golden years.

The Hans and Franz sketches, "We're going pump, you UP!!"

The "NOT!" phrase from Waynes World, and Chris Farley's "I live in a van down by the river!"....man that was just classic stuff.

Dennis Miller and Kevin Nealon were all great Weekend Update anchors in their own right.

I remember starting in the fall of 1992, things started to get bad.  Really bad.  There was one that fall year where Charles Barkley was the host, and
then later Michael Jordan, and it was all painfully unfunny.

On Will Ferrell, the funny thing is that I like him much better AFTER he left SNL.  I didn't think the guy was that funny when he was on the show.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/02/05 at 10:36 am

Mike Myers
Chris Rock
Dana Carvey
Jon Lovitz
Eddie Murphy
Will Farrell
David Spade
Phil Hartman
Dennis Miller
Kevin Nealon
Adam Sandler
Billy Crystal
Dan Aykroyd
Norm MacDonald
Bill Murray

Not a big fan of:

Chris Kattan
Jimmy Fallon

Written By: whistledog on 10/02/05 at 3:36 pm

One of the funniest sketches on SNL was Eddie Murphy on Mr. Robinson's Neighbourhood.  He'd come in through the door, tell us about the latest crime he committed, then he'd usually leave through the fire escape when someone who's after him would bang on his door  ;D

Remember the one where "someone" was yelling to keep the noise down.  The next thing you know, Mr. T comes crashing through the door  ;D

Written By: YWN on 10/02/05 at 4:02 pm

I actually saw a Jimmy Fallon sketch I liked last night.  It was an E channel rerun, and Fallon played Barry Gibb doing a talk show.

Written By: Cheetara on 10/02/05 at 8:58 pm

Yes that was funny as hell.  My all-time favorite SNL characters are:

1.  "Mango" played by Chris Kattan
2.  "Azriel from Goth Talk"  by Chris Kattan
3.  "Craig the Cheerleader"  by Will Farrell
4.  "Colette"  by Cheri Oteri
5.  "Ariana the Cheerleader"  by Cheri Oteri
6.  "Sean Connery"  by Darrell Hammond

I'm addicted to the Mango!!!  LOL

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/02/05 at 10:54 pm

I like the Celebrity Jeopardy sketchs, with Will Farrell as Alex Trebek, and Darrell Hammond as Sean Connery!  ;D

"I'll take The Rapists for $2000, Alex."  ;D

http://www.smithappens.com/video_celebrityjeopardy4.php

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 10/02/05 at 11:04 pm

Anyone remenber the infamous "Jingleheimer Junction" skit, with Will Ferrell as Fred Friendship? (IMO one of the funniest SNL sketches in the last 20 years.)

http://planetwill.jt.org/media/video/98-09-26-jingle.jpg

(See it here:)

http://www.milkandcookies.com/links/13856/details/

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/02/05 at 11:24 pm

Anyone remenber the infamous "Jingleheimer Junction" skit, with Will Ferrell as Fred Friendship? (IMO one of the funniest SNL sketches in the last 20 years.)

http://planetwill.jt.org/media/video/98-09-26-jingle.jpg

(See it here:)

http://www.milkandcookies.com/links/13856/details/

that one was hilarious!!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/02/05 at 11:30 pm

I always loved the skit about the Culps (the couple that would play music at school assemblies, etc)...that was always SO funny!

Here's an awesome website for SNL

http://snlarc.jt.org/

Written By: thenewwavechick on 10/02/05 at 11:51 pm

Well let's see, don't watch SNL anymore because it competes with something else and I found it less and less funny through the years.

I like:
Will Farrell
Molly Shannon
Ana Gastyer (sp)
Gilda Radner
John Belushi
Bill Murray
Billy Crystal
Martin Short
Tim Kazerinsky (sp)
Phil Hartman (pure genius)
Dana Carvey
Victoria Jackson
Eddie Murphy
Gary Kroger
Julia Louis Dreyfuss
Christopher Guest

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 10/02/05 at 11:53 pm

One of my favorite sketches was this one with Nicolas Cage, where he and his wife (played by Julia Sweeney) were discussing what to name their newborn son, and every time she'd suggest a name (Peter, Dick, Rod, and then a few less obvious ones) he'd shoot it down for fear that the kid would be ridiculed.

Then the doorbell rings, and a deliveryman (played by Rob Schneider) is at the door, and he says, "Package for Mr. Asswipe!"
And Nicolas Cage replies, "No, it's Ahhzz-wee-pay!"

(I still call my brother "Ahhzz-wee-pay" sometimes.) ;D ;D ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/02/05 at 11:58 pm

I also like the "Behind The Music: Blue Oyster Cult" with Christopher Walken and Will Farrell.

"I gotta a fever, and the only prescription is more cow bell!" 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/05 at 12:05 am

Don't forget......

http://www.strangepersons.com/images/content/14182.JPG

Is he slipping into obscurity?  I can hardly find a picture of him on the net.
I mean, that was 25 years ago and all.

Written By: thenewwavechick on 10/03/05 at 1:44 am

I also like the "Behind The Music: Blue Oyster Cult" with Christopher Walken and Will Farrell.

"I gotta a fever, and the only prescription is more cow bell!" 

OMFG, I forgot about that sketch.  "More cowbell!!!!"  ;D  I can't hear "Don't Fear the Reaper" without thinking of that sketch. 
Another good sketch was "Schewtty Balls" with Alec Baldwin as Pete Swetty(sp).  OMG that one is a classic. 

Check for new replies or respond here...