inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: things that will never happen

Written By: annonymouse on 10/09/05 at 5:55 pm

in the ninteen ninties we all thought that by  2005  we'd all be flaying around in our hover cars, well it hasnt happened yet and 2005 is just about over!!!

do you think its ever gonna happen???

Subject: Re: things that will never happen

Written By: Skippy on 10/09/05 at 7:11 pm

Probably a good thing. The way some people drive on the highways, do you really want those same morons driving over your head?

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/09/05 at 7:17 pm

Oh, these are the times I wish I could channel Miss Cleo. *Shrugs* Who knows?

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 10/09/05 at 7:24 pm

This is what I keep waiting for:

http://www.furious-d.com/jetpack.jpg

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/09/05 at 7:50 pm

Looks like the guy is farting....big time ;D

Written By: whistledog on 10/09/05 at 8:10 pm

It would be impossible to monitor the skies if everyone had a flying car.  You'd need like a trillion air traffic controllers in every city  ;D

Written By: Powerslave on 10/10/05 at 3:28 am

Deja-vu alert! I'm pretty sure that almost this exact conversation has appeared on this board before. I had to check the date of the first two posts to make sure this wasn't an old thread!

I have to agree with Skippy though. Until everyone can learn to drive a car that stays on the ground, I don't want people driving ones that can fly!

Written By: Kenlos on 10/10/05 at 11:28 pm

If they had flying cars they would have to be able to fly themselves as most people wouldnt know how to fly them and it is more difficult to learn to fly something like that than to drive a car, plus an accident in one of those and your in some real big trouble.

But the main reason flying cars will never happen is because of cost.  In order to do something like this they would have to set up a virtual highway in the sky in every city and across the country for the cars to follow.  The cost to be able to do something like this would be incredible.  The technology to build flying cars is already around and has been for a while, even the technology for the cars to fly themselves safely from place to place currently exist.  The cost to mass produce them would be high as well much higher than your normal street car.  So unless they find a way to do it a whole lot cheaper flying cars will never happen.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/11/05 at 1:31 pm

http://www.americanroyalarts.com/library/jetsons_speed_limit.jpg

Cat

Written By: OliverDK on 10/17/05 at 10:10 am

The first true Hovercar already exists, in prototype, and should reach the general population sometime around 2025, according to what I saw on the Discovery Channel.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/17/05 at 12:56 pm

Looks like the guy is farting....big time ;D

;D

Written By: danootaandme on 10/17/05 at 1:15 pm

Never say never  ;)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/17/05 at 4:30 pm

I just don't see it happening (however great of an idea it is) for a very very long time.  There is too much profit being made by oil companies for selling their gasoline.  They are not just going to step aside and say.. "Oh alright, there is a better, more-environmentally sound way of driving cars, sure we'll stop making and selling gas.  No problem."  :P

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/17/05 at 10:02 pm

Oh my gawd..imagine NASCAR races using hovercars... ;D

Hovercars will never happen and should never happen because of all the road-rageous drivers out there..they'd have one more way to create havoc!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/17/05 at 10:08 pm

We can't say it won't happen. We may not be the ones enjoying them, though  :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/18/05 at 1:41 am

Me posting an answer on this thread.
Hey wait a minute?
:D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/18/05 at 1:43 am

Maybe, but I sincerely hope not!
Forward, reverse, left, and right caused enough trouble in traffic.  Add up and down and you've got the demise of all humanity at hand!
:o

Written By: OliverDK on 10/18/05 at 4:05 am

Needless Markup......umm, errr, I mean Neiman Marcus has one in their Christmas Catalog this year for the low, low price of $2.5 MILLION (I saw it on the Today show this morning ;))

The hovercar on the Discovery Channel actually worked.

Written By: C.NOIZE on 10/18/05 at 11:14 pm

The hovercar on the Discovery Channel actually worked.

But was it really a hovercar?  Or just a car with rockets?  'Cause when I think of hovercrafts, I think of the Delorean in Back To The Future.  Not rockets.  In BTTF, there's what looks like a jet of air to keep the car off the ground as the wheels turn in, but after that, the only thing keeping it up is whatever's glowing in the tires (and that glowing stuff doesn't appear to create pollution either).

Written By: OliverDK on 10/19/05 at 2:25 am

No jets, it's using rotors, two to lift it and two to drive it forwards, the concept is that the vehicle would follow electronic highways in the sky.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/19/05 at 9:21 pm

Is that other gadget in the picture a Segway?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/19/05 at 9:25 pm

Don't let NASCAR's Robby Gordon,Todd Bodine, or Jimmy Spencer drive a hovercar! Why? They'd wreck all the other hovercar drivers..

I dunno if hovercars will happen in my lifetime...

Check for new replies or respond here...