inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Gender Issues

Written By: Krystal on 10/12/05 at 8:38 am

Okay........pleas, none of you take this the wrong way as a personal diss against men, or women....but a few issues have been bothering me alot lately....

Okay.....firstly.....since when did cancer and heart disease become known only as WOMEN'S diseases???  And, in the same tokken, why is it that breast cancer gets more attention than prostate, or testicular cancer???  Whatever happened to good old fashioned EQUAL RIGHTS!?!?!?  It's as if men's health is a non-issue....yet, women's health get's plenty of coverage!

Another thing.....kind of a GROSS DOUBLE STANDARD!!!! 

Men like George Clooney say they don't want to get married and that they are independent and do not need a woman to be happy, though they have nothing against women, yet they are seen as mysoginist jerks.  Meanwhile, women say they don't want to get married and they don't need a man and they're free and praised for being INDEPENDENT WOMEN!!!  Why is it a necessity for men to get married, or to have a woman in their life, but it isn't the same for women???  Personally....I happen to think that men and women both need each other, maybe not necessarily in the romantic sense, but we all have to lean on one another, especially with what is going on in the world. 

It can't always be about WOMEN STICKING TOGETHER.......it has to be about PEOPLE STICKING TOGETHER!!!

And, since when did it become a crime for women to have male friends all of a sudden???

I have an equal amount of male and female friends and we all get along just great.....but, there's this whole thing about women having too many male friends and that women should only be friends with one another and keep men either as quaintences or as lovers!!

And, why is it okay for women to dominate men all of a sudden.  So many men in this world are being controlled by women.....yet, when women are controlled by men, it becomes an issue, or a public debate.

I've even heard about women physically abusing men in relationships, yet there aren't any places for abused men to go to.

Another thing........again, I'm not a woman/man-hater......but, why is it a crime and a sin to hate women, but it is perfectly acceptable to hate men???

Whatever happened to EQUAL RIGHTS?!?!?!?!  Don't men deserve equal rights, too???

I'm just trying to figure all this out!

Subject: Re: Gender Issues

Written By: Ophrah on 10/12/05 at 8:43 am

It has nothing to do with rights.  If you want more attention to be paid to a health issue, organize a walk-a-thon, start a foundation, write an op-ed in the local paper, win the Tour De France, sell yellow bracelets, generate public interest.

Written By: Krystal on 10/12/05 at 9:08 am

Again.....no slamming of anyone.....I'm just trying to understand these things, here.

I wanted to get other people's opinions on this.

And, it's health issues AND the other issues I was talking about.

I am not looking to offend anyone here, which is why I did not resort to name-calling......the "mysoginist" thing was not me calling anyone a name, just a "suppose"...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/12/05 at 10:51 am

When a man or a woman says they do not need the opposite gender, it means they don't need him/her to feel some fulfillment in their lives (which, honestly, was shoved down the throats of many in the past decades). You can have friends or lovers, but do you necessarily need a wife or husband to have a great life....no.

Misogyny is hatred towards women. The true definition of the word cannot be applied to this.

Written By: Krystal on 10/12/05 at 11:14 am

Well......what I am saying is women who prefer to stay single are praised, while men who prefer to stay single are criticized.

And, what do they call hatred of men?

Written By: Harmonica on 10/12/05 at 11:57 am

Okay........pleas, none of you take this the wrong way as a personal diss against men, or women....but a few issues have been bothering me alot lately....

Okay.....firstly.....since when did cancer and heart disease become known only as WOMEN'S diseases???  And, in the same tokken, why is it that breast cancer gets more attention than prostate, or testicular cancer???  Whatever happened to good old fashioned EQUAL RIGHTS!?!?!?  It's as if men's health is a non-issue....yet, women's health get's plenty of coverage!

Another thing.....kind of a GROSS DOUBLE STANDARD!

Men like George Clooney say they don't want to get married and that they are independent and do not need a woman to be happy, though they have nothing against women, yet they are seen as mysoginist jerks.  Meanwhile, women say they don't want to get married and they don't need a man and they're free and praised for being INDEPENDENT WOMEN!!!  Why is it a necessity for men to get married, or to have a woman in their life, but it isn't the same for women???  Personally....I happen to think that men and women both need each other, maybe not necessarily in the romantic sense, but we all have to lean on one another, especially with what is going on in the world. 

It can't always be about WOMEN STICKING TOGETHER.......it has to be about PEOPLE STICKING TOGETHER!!!

And, since when did it become a crime for women to have male friends all of a sudden???

I have an equal amount of male and female friends and we all get along just great.....but, there's this whole thing about women having too many male friends and that women should only be friends with one another and keep men either as quaintences or as lovers!!

And, why is it okay for women to dominate men all of a sudden.  So many men in this world are being controlled by women.....yet, when women are controlled by men, it becomes an issue, or a public debate.

I've even heard about women physically abusing men in relationships, yet there aren't any places for abused men to go to.

Another thing........again, I'm not a woman/man-hater......but, why is it a crime and a sin to hate women, but it is perfectly acceptable to hate men???

Whatever happened to EQUAL RIGHTS?!?!?!?!  Don't men deserve equal rights, too???

Whoo hoo, you brought up an issue where I'm gonna give you my piece of mind and eventually get slammed like no other.

Question for you, Are women more suseptable to cancer and heart disease than men?  If so this could be very well why they're labled as "women" problems.  I mean if the large majority of cancer and heart disease victems are women, this could very well be an explanation.

I agree on the statement of George Clooney.  A man doesn't want to be married, he's very seldomly looked at as just a man who doesn't want to get married.  Often the accusations are that he is either a homosexual, a playa, he can't get a woman, or a jerk.   I agree with you that men and women do need eachother, but this balony theory of having to get married to be happy  is nothing more than a flock of sheep following a stupid stereotype.  Look at the divorce rates, look at them.  They're huge!  People need to start getting married, because they truly love eachother, not because it's what "they're supposed to do".

Oh the male friends of the female and the female friends of the male.  You talk about a problem here!  I run into this problem all the time.  The minute I start to show interest in a girl as a friend everyone and there damn dog thinks I have the hots for her.   So far this year on campus I've like 0, count em zero girls as love interest but I've been accused of having crushes on 5 girls and even been accused of being a boyfriend to a few of them too.  

The women dominating men factor plays a lot more into account than what you would think, but men abusing women and men raping women and the sort happens at relatively larger of a number.  However down in Texas at a university about 10 to 15 years ago female members of the girls cheerleading squad got together and beat up and raped a homosexual male on campus.  Sadly there were more laughs than concerns of this incident.  If it had been the guys football team ganging up on a girl and raping her, you wouldn't have found one laugh in 1,000 miles.

I'm not a sexist by anymeans, I love women and think we should be treated equally.   treating men like sheesh on issues like those you mentioned and others you did not, at least by my standards isn't equal treatment, but in many of eyes it is.

Written By: Ophrah on 10/12/05 at 12:05 pm

Well......what I am saying is women who prefer to stay single are praised, while men who prefer to stay single are criticized.

And, what do they call hatred of men?

This is a wild generalization -- criticized by whom?  My brother is a smart, successful, good-looking, 41-year old straight guy with no intention of getting married, and he doesn't get "criticized" for it... except maybe by my mother.

Written By: Krystal on 10/12/05 at 12:06 pm

True!  I, myself, am a woman and always believed in equal rights, 100%!

Throughout my teen years, I became a feminist...but that kinds of ended after I learned that many of the women I was working with hated men!  And, I could never hate men!  I love men, and I love women!  But, sexually, I prefer men!

And, as far as women beating up men, true, it does get looked at as comical, but to me - violence, regardless of which gender is being victimized, is NEVER funny!

Written By: danootaandme on 10/12/05 at 5:34 pm

Another thing.....kind of a GROSS DOUBLE STANDARD!!!! 

I wonder who you have been hanging out with.  I've been around a long time and have seen a lot
and do know that people tend to form opinions from the circles they travel in, and you need to find
another circle.

Written By: McDonald on 10/13/05 at 2:23 pm

Prostate cancer actually kills more people (men) than breast cancer (which incidentally affects both men and women). The reason breast cancer gets more press is because a few news personalities latched onto the cause many years ago and more money has been raised. Marketing has a lot to do with it as well. Women are still the primary shoppers in most households, so companies who can advertise that they have donated funds to breast cancer can score more points with women who will buy their products.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/13/05 at 6:09 pm

Prostate cancer actually kills more people (men) than breast cancer (which incidentally affects both men and women). The reason breast cancer gets more press is because a few news personalities latched onto the cause many years ago and more money has been raised. Marketing has a lot to do with it as well. Women are still the primary shoppers in most households, so companies who can advertise that they have donated funds to breast cancer can score more points with women who will buy their products.

Once again, it all comes down to money.

Written By: alyceclover on 10/27/05 at 10:07 pm

I see a lot of 'press' about men's health issues...maybe I notice it more having a father die from Prostate cancer (well that's where it started), generally men are macho & private...to admit they have a dis-ease would be like admitting they have a defect, so I doubt they'd run around with little blue ribbons showing they supported research on how to prevent/make people aware of prostate cancer, at least, not the men I've known...there are places for abused men to go to, to deal with the issue, without proof, I believe many more women are abused then men...women have been outkasts "old maid' "spinster' if they choose not to marry, and I think most people suspect single men of being homosexual...women have also been 2nd class citizens throughout the world, so it's nice that females are getting a lot of Press, re: their issues.

Men controlled by women? I don't think this is true.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/27/05 at 10:17 pm

Again.....no slamming of anyone.....I'm just trying to understand these things, here.

Ever notice if you're slamming for too long, sometimes you do end up "sticking together"?
:-\\ :-X

Check for new replies or respond here...