inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did the umpires blow that call in Angels-White Sox Game 2?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/12/05 at 11:02 pm

Check the baseball season 2005 thread for details, but essentially this is about the last out in tonight's game that allowed the White Sox to extend the ninth inning and win.

White Sox 2, Angels 1

Subject: Re: Did the umpires blow that call in Angels-White Sox Game 2?

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/12/05 at 11:11 pm

Ya know. To me it looked like about maybe half an inch of that ball was on the dirt. The rest was on the webbing.

To be honest i don't think the umpire blew the actual call, what he did wrong was feck up his signals.
That's what led to the confusion.

Any problem the Angles have is definatley with the umpire but to be honest it's one of those calls that could just go either way no matter what.

This is gonna be like Moises and Steve what his name with the foul ball.

GO SOX  ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/12/05 at 11:17 pm

I'm on the fence about this one.  I thought the ball may have skimmed the dirt, and I agree that the signals were confusing from the umpire, but there was no way to tell one way or the other whether the umpire had completely screwed the Angels.  However, like the Cubs a couple years ago, the Angels can't use this as the only reason why they lost.

Congrats to the Cards, btw.  Very nice game.

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/12/05 at 11:18 pm

I'm on the fence about this one.  I thought the ball may have skimmed the dirt, and I agree that the signals were confusing from the umpire, but there was no way to tell one way or the other whether the umpire had completely screwed the Angels.  However, like the Cubs a couple years ago, the Angels can't use this as the only reason why they lost.

Congrats to the Cards, btw.  Very nice game.

It was wasn't it  ;D Isringhausen always scares me  :P ya know.. the guy's given us great service, but this year every time he's come in he's made things way more interesting than need be.

Nope, they can't. Overall the White Sox played better ball, poor luck to not be in front by the 9th anyway.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/12/05 at 11:19 pm

The White Sox made some baserunning errors that really made me mad as a baseball fan :D

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/12/05 at 11:23 pm

The White Sox made some baserunning errors that really made me mad as a baseball fan :D

;D Truth be told a lot of the Sox top guys aren't the best baserunners. Pierzynski anybody.

Are you actually an Angels fan? Dodgers?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/12/05 at 11:26 pm

I'm not a fan of any particular team, but when I play video games I am usually the Cubs whether or not they suck :D

I prefer the National League style of play because I like to watch the pitcher flail at the plate and I also like the chess-like double-switching and pinch hitting that you don't get with the designated hitter.

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/12/05 at 11:28 pm

I'm not a fan of any particular team, but when I play video games I am usually the Cubs whether or not they suck :D

I prefer the National League style of play because I like to watch the pitcher flail at the plate and I also like the chess-like double-switching and pinch hitting that you don't get with the designated hitter.

...C...Cu...Cu...Cubs.

Alright I'm not talking to you anymore!  ;D

Ya know, as much as i rag on them, i have to love the Cubbies, they're just useless it's great fun watching them fail.

I prefer the NL as well, faster play and none of that DH Bullsheeshe.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/12/05 at 11:38 pm

I always root for the underdog ;)  This year I think I will pull for the Cards though, because it's been a while since they've gone all the way too.  Though not as long as the Cubs :D

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/12/05 at 11:40 pm

I always root for the underdog ;)  This year I think I will pull for the Cards though, because it's been a while since they've gone all the way too.  Though not as long as the Cubs :D

1982  :P

Ya know, i really thought they were gonna do it last year. It's Unfinished Business this time around!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/12/05 at 11:43 pm

They threw the Series so the Boston fans would stop bitching :D

Honestly, the Cards played like crap last year in the WS and deserved to lose.  I think they learned their lesson this year though.

Written By: TarzSp on 10/13/05 at 1:58 am

Cubs fans are Horrible, when nothing goes their way, they respond by throwing trash on the field

As for the Angels, I can't tell, but either way I'm glad it happened, and if they did get screwed, then that makes me a Happy Camper.  Anything to upset the Angel fans even more  :)

And of course, if they lose this series, they are going to blame it on this one little call

The truth is, even if that call was never made and it was an out, the game still would have been tied, so don't act as if the Angels would have won if the call went their way, because the White Sox still could have ended up winning the game in extra innings

Written By: Old Hoss on 10/13/05 at 2:23 am

I thought the umpire blew the call but it WAS a tough call looking over the catcher's shoulder. He REALLY blew it when he reversed his calling of the batter out.

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/13/05 at 7:47 am

It was a stupid rule, but the ump called it right. I think the Angels will probably turn this into an advantage and sweep the rest of the Series.

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/13/05 at 11:50 am

I saw a bazillion replays of it and didn't see it hit the ground, then again, I'm only a girl ;D

Yeah, what are you doing having an opinion on sports!!

I really did think part of the ball hit the dirt, it looked like it was partially on the webbing and partially on the dirt.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/13/05 at 1:03 pm

I was watching the game and thought he was out and the inning was over and the next thing I knew, he was on First. I think the Ump blew it. The guy swung so it was a strike. If he didn't swing, it would have been Ball 4 and would have walked. But, I still say he was out.

Cat

Written By: nally on 10/13/05 at 3:41 pm

It was a stupid rule, but the ump called it right. I think the Angels will probably turn this into an advantage and sweep the rest of the Series.

I'm kinda hoping they do that too. However, I think it may have been a mistake on the ump's part.

I saw a slow-motion shot of the pitch that zoomed in on the catcher's glove, and I could not see the ball hitting the dirt. Then I saw the ump raising his fist to signal a strike, but I guess he didn't grunt or shout "Out!", so I'm a tad confused. But If AJ Pierzynski had not swung at it, it would've been ball four and he'd be aboard anyway. But since he did swing, it should've been strike three, and the catcher should've either tagged Pirezynski to confirm the out or thrown down to first.

Written By: John Jenkins on 10/13/05 at 3:57 pm

The Angels are my local team (and, yes, I am biased), but the umps did blow the call.  Of course, there is no way for the home plate umpire to see whether the ball hit the dirt or not, so he should have asked the 3rd base ump for help, but apparently he was out to lunch.

But even if the umps had gotten the call correct and Pierzynski had been called out, the game would have gone into extra innings and there is still a good chance that the White Sox, with their more rested bullpen, would have pulled it out.

Written By: STAR70 on 10/13/05 at 6:10 pm

Of course, the Grand and Noble Chicago White Sox would NEVER do anything so devious as paying off the Umpire....

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/13/05 at 11:18 pm

I was watching the game and thought he was out and the inning was over and the next thing I knew, he was on First. I think the Ump blew it. The guy swung so it was a strike. If he didn't swing, it would have been Ball 4 and would have walked. But, I still say he was out.

Cat

The way I understand it, even though he swung at strike three and missed and it was officially a strikeout, because the ball MAY have hit the dirt, the catcher in essence dropped the third strike, which means he must throw it to first or tag the runner to officially record the out.  The catcher was inexperienced and assumed that it was an out, denying them the chance to do either of the alternative putouts.

The angle on the catch showed the ball so low that it miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight have been possible that the ball hit the dirt before getting trapped in the webbing.

Written By: Old Hoss on 10/14/05 at 1:46 am

My sympathies go out ot that homeplate umpire............now shoot the bastard.  ;)

Written By: TarzSp on 10/14/05 at 4:35 am

I think people should just get over it already. My Atlanta Braves were screwed TWICE during Game 4 of the NLDS because of Blown Calls, and both times it resulted in the Astros scoring and making a huge comeback to win the game and the series, but there is nothing I can do about it

Also, if people keep on arguing about this, eventually someone is going to be stupid enough to hunt down this Umpire and Murder him, similar to what almost happened to the 1st Base Umpire from the 1984 World Series (or maybe it was 1985)

It's ridiculous and I have no sympathy at all for the Angels, simply because this same crap happened to my team, so now you guys have to go through the same crap I went through

Written By: TarzSp on 10/14/05 at 4:37 am

My sympathies go out ot that homeplate umpire............now shoot the bastard.  ;)

That was uncalled for and it's not funny

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/14/05 at 3:06 pm

Also, if people keep on arguing about this, eventually someone is going to be stupid enough to hunt down this Umpire and Murder him, similar to what almost happened to the 1st Base Umpire from the 1984 World Series (or maybe it was 1985)

'85. Lot of people said if he came to St Louis he'd be dead  :P

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/15/05 at 10:50 am

The ump makes a bad call and of course, the Sox must be paying them off because a few decades ago, they did something bad ::)

Not a few decades.. a few lifetimes!

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/16/05 at 6:25 pm

I really impressed the kids on my son's baseball team when I told them that I had seen the play and explained to them that it didn't matter WHEN the ball hit the dirt, just that it hit the dirt when I yelled at our catcher to tag the batter on a 3rd strike that hit the dirt before the catcher caught it......I was an AWESOME coach if I do say so myself (even though the kids lost, the were ahead until we only had 8 players on the field :P)

I told you i could play!!  ;D
Nice work, would you like a sheepskin jacket and tracksuit bottoms?  ;D

You need to work on your cliches as well

http://fotball.adressa.no/multimedia/archive/00027/ferguson_27910a.jpg

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/16/05 at 9:58 pm

;D ;D ;D  I actually told them "Let's win one for the Gipper" and NONE of them had a CLUE what I was talking about (the coaches did, though) ;D ;D ;D

You've lost me on this one...

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/16/05 at 10:54 pm

Knute Rockne....Notre Dame....speech about George Gipp.....nevermind, it was WAAAYYYY before your time (mine too, but I did a speech about him in high school just because I liked his name ;D)

I...see

My mistress is Baseball not Football.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/17/05 at 12:50 am

Apparently Pierzynski was in the middle of another umpiring controversy in the clinching game because he wasn't tagged out by Escobar since the ball was in his hand but he was tagged with the empty glove, and then Escobar screwed it up by pulling Erstad off the bag so AJ was safe.  Scioscia admitted it was the right call though.

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/17/05 at 12:45 pm

During the game last night, the commentators were talking about Pierzynski being part of almost every controversial call in the last 3 games.....first, the "dropped third strike heard round the world" (his words, not mine).....then the catcher interference.....now this one ???

Says a lot about him really dosen't it.

Either he's a damn good cheater or they can't cope  ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/18/05 at 1:54 am

He didn't cheat on any of the calls.  The umpires are just stupid :D

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/18/05 at 7:22 pm

Well, so much for that prediction. ::)

I wanted the Sox to win anyway.

But the Astros should have won last night's game. Now the Cards are on their way to the Series because both of the remaining games are at home. But that's the only reason I'm picking them. (Plus, the 'Stros are probably cursed by that TV movie "Murder at the World Series" where they actually go to the Series and win.)

Written By: PaperGirl on 10/18/05 at 9:07 pm

But the Astros should have won last night's game.

Couldnt agree more...

Written By: STAR70 on 10/26/05 at 3:54 pm

The ump makes a bad call and of course, the Sox must be paying them off because a few decades ago, they did something bad ::)

Not a few decades.. a few lifetimes!

actually, it was in my father's lifetime

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/27/05 at 8:57 am

actually, it was in my father's lifetime

Well.. my grandfather hadn't even been born in 1917 so.. maybe not for you but true for me.

Check for new replies or respond here...