inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Money-Saving Tips!

Written By: Lara Spencer on 10/13/05 at 1:35 pm

A few months ago I found out I had to start saving a lot more money if I want to buy a house.  At first, I wasn't sure how I could since everything seemed like a 'necessity', but after a while I saw how much money I built up by:

Cancelling Cable TV (I miss being able to see CSI 3x/day on Spike TV, but I can live without it)
Cancelling DSL
Switching to the bare minimum home telephone plan, no long distance (only use it for internet anyway -- use cell for long distance)
Bringing lunch to work
Washing and ironing my own blouses, pants, etc. instead of drycleaning
Cancelling health insurance (risky, not recommended if you have kids or chronic illness, but it's been a waste for me)
Using the fantastic public library system instead of running to Amazon.com everytime there's some book I want to read

Any other ideas/suggestions/favorite money savers?

Subject: Re: Favorite Money-Saving Tips!

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/13/05 at 1:40 pm

Ugh, i dunno if cancelling your Health Insurance is a good idea.

You might not have done something in the past, but what happens if your walking along trip and break your arm. It happens. That's your house down payment (and a lot more) gone straight away.

Eat lots of sandwiches. Seriously, buy cheap bread and large amounts of peanut butter, mayo, cheap meat etc. As long as you vary what you put on the sandwiches you can have a pretty balanced diet for next to nothing. Supplement it with lots of soup and noodles and Roberts your Fathers brother your saving $50 a week.

Written By: Lara Spencer on 10/13/05 at 2:10 pm

Ugh, i dunno if cancelling your Health Insurance is a good idea.

You might not have done something in the past, but what happens if your walking along trip and break your arm. It happens. That's your house down payment (and a lot more) gone straight away.

Eat lots of sandwiches. Seriously, buy cheap bread and large amounts of peanut butter, mayo, cheap meat etc. As long as you vary what you put on the sandwiches you can have a pretty balanced diet for next to nothing. Supplement it with lots of soup and noodles and Roberts your Fathers brother your saving $50 a week.

It's risky, and I wouldn't recommend it to people with health problems, but when I think about the money I spent on health insurance over the last 10 years just to get one go-thru-the-motions 15 minute annual checkup from an indifferent doctor... I could have had a lovely house by now.  Unless something major happens that requires a hospital stay (and hey, they barely let you stay even for childbirth these days), I'm better off paying out of pocket.

Written By: rich1981 on 10/13/05 at 2:18 pm

Use public transportation instead of driving a car, especially if you're fresh out of money, especially because of the gas + insurance.

Written By: McDonald on 10/13/05 at 3:08 pm

This is a topic I know a LOT about.  :-\\

There's no shame in getting stuff used. It's just idiotic to buy a book new if you can get it used. This also goes for dishes, electronics, cars, clothes, almost anything... GOODWILL, BABY!!!

Download your music for free even though it's illegal, because culture is not something you should have to pay out the @ss for. The artists make most of their money on touring anyway, and most of your $16-20 goes right to the retailer and record execs. There's also plenty of great unknown artists that give their music away for free. You can also buy vinyl records for real cheap at pawn shops and the like, and it's a great way to discover and enjoy older music. Also, and I'm admitting this too although it's not legal... My cousin and I will download a bunch of old TV shows and put them all on DVD so we can watch them whenever. This is especially good for shows you never see anywhere anymore like The Wonder Years, or foreign shows like the British version of Ali G's show. There are also a few net-only TV networks and they have some good stuff on.

If you live in a big city, and you have a wifi receiver on your laptop... chances are you can glean a free high-speed connection from just about anywhere. Bookstores everywhere have hotspots, and many cities are just allowing companies to cover the whole city.

Stop eating out, even fast food is expensive.

Skip the latté and take a vitamin instead. Vitamins will give you energy for less that lasts.

Cancel your subscriptions to everything. All your news is available for free online or on the Rabbit Ear Network. Many magazines are featured at public libraries.

Like you said, cable is just a waste of time and money. PBS is the only network worth watching anyway.

Instead of throwing out those worn shoes and paying a buttload of money for a new pair... try repairing them yourself. You'd be amazed how far ingenuity can take you. This works with a lot of things. Before you run out and buy something you need, see if you can make one first for less money.

Take care of the things you have and they'll last longer. This goes especially for a car. Regular oil changes and other maintenence will go a long way.

When you buy, make sure it's worth it. Sure you can pay $3 for a POS, Made in China, manual can-opener that will malfunction within a few months. But if you spent $15 on the better one made with USA or Canadian steel, it will last you much langer (maybe indefinitely) and you'll save money in the long run.

I can't stress conservationalism enough. Use minimal electricity in the daylight hours, and for god's sake turn out the light when you leave a room. Keep the TV off because it's an energy guzzler. Buy rechargeable batteries. Bathe responsibly and quickly. Contrary to what many companies would like you to believe, western civilisation will not crumble if you skip a shower when you really don't believe it to be necessary. 

Those sack and save type grocers are a godsend, and so are places like Big Lots which sells non-perishable food items for cheap. Also, BUY THE GENERIC BRAND OF EVERYTHING! Why pay for a logo. I mean, I know in some cases there is a small difference, but those few extra cents add up when it's time to check out.

Entertainment can be cheap and when you're lucky, free. Keep an eye out for advertisements for free local events. If you need something to do, there are parks and libraries at your disposal. Go for a bike ride or something. You don't always have to spend money to have fun.

Eat as many free meals as you can. On campuses, a lot of religious organisations have regular events where they just give out food and have a service afterwards. On my campus the Christians do it every Wednesday, and they don't mind if you "can't make the meeting." Also, invite yourself over to mum and pop's house for dinner every once and a while. No harm in that.

If you need something particular done for you as a service (like painting, moving, or French lessons, etc..), see if you can get a friend to do it for less money or perhaps in barter for something you can do for him/her in return. You help me paint my living room, I'll help you build that doghouse.

I've managed to keep myself out of the doctor's office for about 2 and 1/2 years now. When I feel the beginnings of a cold coming on, I go ahead and take a day off to rest, drink plenty of fluids, take plenty of vitamins, and have some chicken soup. Now I couldn't tell you exactly how healthy I really am... but what are you gonna do if you don't have insurance?

Don't smoke. If you must have a smoke, just bum one evry no and then, but don't make a rude habit out of it. Matter of fact, lay off the vices in general. They cost too much. If you feel that alchohol is necessary for whatever reason (a party, or whatever), there's nothin' wrong with a bottle of cheap wine or a 6pack of cheap brew every now and then.

Don't make too many unnecessary trips. Consolodate your errands into as few trips as possible. Gas is too expensive, it puts unneeded wear on your vehicle, and it pollutes! And man, I cannot vouche for the virtues of carpooling enough. DO IT!

Clear out some of your old clutter by having a garage sale or listing your stuff on ebay. It's a great way to make some extra cash.

And that's basically all I can think of at this point.

Written By: Lara Spencer on 10/13/05 at 3:20 pm

Whoa, thorough post, lots of tips.  Thanks.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/14/05 at 11:59 am

Learn the difference between "Want" and "Need". (IMO, Health Insurence is a need).  Shop at thrift stores for "needs". We have a store here affectionately known as "The Dented Can Store" which is a lot of what they sell. Bags that have been opened but taped up, etc. You can find food for REAL cheap. Also some bakeries also have thrift shops. You can make a cheap great meal out of romien noodles-add an egg and veggies to it. Also another meal that we used to call "chucky junky" is to pour a can of Chucky Soup over rice. Cut coupons, look in sales flyers, etc. If you can, grow a vegetable garden.

Public transportation is good-or if you can, walk. It is great exercize. If you must drive, get a fuel-efficent vehicle. A gas-gussling SUV it way too expensive. Only use credit cards if you have to and can pay them off at the end of the month. Intrest charges are a killer.

Turn off lights when they are not in use. Turn down the heat/ac as much as you can. Put on a sweater or use a fan if you handle it. Make sure your house is insulated. Check the temp on your hot water heater. You don't want it too high because that will raise your electric bill. Don't flush the toilet everytime. The old saying "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down." Also, get a brick or a bottle full of stones and water and place in the tank of the toilet. It cuts down on the water needed to flush the toilet. Use a clothes line instead of a dryer. If you possibly can, there are ways to save a lot of electricty by installing solar panels-it is costly at first but in the long run, it really saves a lot and it is possible that the electric company will pay YOU!  These are just some ideas.

Cat

Written By: zcrito on 10/14/05 at 4:22 pm

Don't flush the toilet everytime. The old saying "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down." Also, get a brick or a bottle full of stones and water and place in the tank of the toilet. It cuts down on the water needed to flush the toilet.

Cat

Please don't do the above, Lara.  ;D

Written By: zcrito on 10/14/05 at 4:36 pm

I'm like Jerry Seinfeld -- it all evens out for me. Any money I save is merely taken away on some later date.

An example,
I used to go to a bar every Friday night a few years ago and every time I went I'd look for a spot on a side street so I wouldn't have to pay to park my car. I saved a few dollars every week and even more in total but the last time I went there I parked my car nearby one last time and this time it got towed away. I had parked somewhere where I shouldn't have (stupid priests at that Catholic school!). Seems every dollar I saved, and more, was all lost in one night!

::)

Written By: Dagwood on 10/14/05 at 7:14 pm

Coupons are a great money saver, as long as you only use them for products you already buy.  Don't buy something just because you have a coupon.  Watch store promotions.  Alot have double coupons and extra discounts.  I know people hate the club cards, but you can get good deals on them.  If you don't want to give your address, make one up.  Used right, you can save more than it cost to buy the paper the coupons were in.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/14/05 at 7:19 pm

The best way to double your money is to fold it over once and put it in your pocket.

I forgot who said that.
???

Written By: Toby on 10/14/05 at 7:30 pm

Never, ever, ever buy a new car.

Always take the free cellphone that comes with your service, you don't need the ones with the stupid extra features.

Find bars that have after-work happy hours with free orderves and eat dinner there.

Go to donut shops at closing and get leftovers at half price (or less) to use for breakfast.

When you go to the laundromat, ask somebody if you can share their washer.

Only drink water, it's healthier anyway.

Underwear has two sides, use them.

Written By: Satish on 10/14/05 at 9:30 pm

Don't flush the toilet everytime. The old saying "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down."

IMO, you should only do this if you live alone or rarely have visitors over to your place.  ;D

Written By: Satish on 10/14/05 at 9:37 pm

If you hang up your clothes to dry instead of putting them in the dryer, it'll cut down on your electricity bill.

Cancelling Cable TV (I miss being able to see CSI 3x/day on Spike TV, but I can live without it)

If you live in an apartment, cable tv is often included in the maintenance fee, so you don't have the choice of cancelling it.

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/15/05 at 7:52 am

Underwear has two sides, use them.

Just what do you mean by that?  ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/15/05 at 7:53 am

If you live in a big city, and you have a wifi receiver on your laptop... chances are you can glean a free high-speed connection from just about anywhere. Bookstores everywhere have hotspots, and many cities are just allowing companies to cover the whole city.

Maybe even in your own house from the neighbor  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/15/05 at 2:47 pm

Use both sides of the toilet paper!
:-X

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/15/05 at 3:06 pm

Use both sides of the toilet paper!
:-X

Howard Stern said it best..

If you use more than 3 sheets, you need surgery.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/16/05 at 1:34 pm

IMO, you should only do this if you live alone or rarely have visitors over to your place.  ;D

I agree with you there. My husband and I do it but if anyone comes to visit, we do flush each time.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...