inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why does the media love the American League (in MLB) so much?

Written By: Cole on 10/14/05 at 10:38 pm

It's always about the American League in Major League Baseball.  Always.  The National League is "that other league".  And nearly every year, it seems as if the ALCS is given priority over the NLCS, even if the Yankees and Red Sox aren't there.  And when the Yankees and Red Sox are there, at least the excuse of baseball's two most storied franchises being there can be acceptable.

But it's really unfair that it's that way.  The NLCS?  Who cares.  The Cardinals and Astros will have another 6 or 7 game classic series this year just like last year, but not many people will care.  FOX and ESPN both even kinda admit that it's that way, and sorta joke about it.

Subject: Re: Why does the media love the American League (in MLB) so much?

Written By: Satish on 10/14/05 at 11:49 pm

I think you're just imagining things. It's true, the AL has the Yankees, who play in the biggest city and are MLB's marquee team, so they get lots of extra hype. And the AL also has the Redsox, another storied franchise, and the hype of the whole Yankees/Redsox rivalry.

But the NL has marquee teams like the Braves and Cubs. They get their fair share of the spotlight. Just look at all the Braves games that get shown on TBS.

I happen to live in an AL city, but I'm still saying both leagues get the attention they deserve.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/15/05 at 1:50 am

^ Don't forget the Cardinals.

The AL probably gets more hype because they're more interested in big ball, rather than the NL's small ball style.

Written By: Cole on 10/15/05 at 8:05 am

Well the ALCS is always the prime time game on FOX, while the NLCS gets the daytime slots.  They were even going to change the NLCS schedule around so it would adjust with what was going on in the ALCS.  The Yankees and Red Sox aren't even there, and it's still happening.  The media loves the American League.

Oh and the St. Louis Cardinals are there in the NLCS, but it still doesn't matter.  Like it didn't matter last year.  The National League
is always treated as "the other league" in MLB.

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/15/05 at 10:49 am

Well the ALCS is always the prime time game on FOX, while the NLCS gets the daytime slots.  They were even going to change the NLCS schedule around so it would adjust with what was going on in the ALCS.  The Yankees and Red Sox aren't even there, and it's still happening.  The media loves the American League.

Oh and the St. Louis Cardinals are there in the NLCS, but it still doesn't matter.  Like it didn't matter last year.  The National League
is always treated as "the other league" in MLB.

Correct, yet the National League is the real league.

Written By: nally on 03/24/06 at 11:08 pm

^ Don't forget the Cardinals.

The AL probably gets more hype because they're more interested in big ball, rather than the NL's small ball style.

"Big" ball vs. "small" ball? I'm not sure what you mean by that. :-\\ Although I, for one, prefer the National League's overall style because they don't use the DH rule.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/24/06 at 11:13 pm

"Big" ball vs. "small" ball? I'm not sure what you mean by that. :-\\ Although I, for one, prefer the National League's overall style because they don't use the DH rule.

He means they focus more on things likes bunting and stealing in the NL, while in the AL there's more emphasis on power hitting.

Written By: nally on 03/24/06 at 11:15 pm

He means they focus more on things likes bunting and stealing in the NL, while in the AL there's more emphasis on power hitting.

Hmmm... that makes sense now. I never paid a whole lot of attention to things like that before. :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...