inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Star Trek vs. Star Wars

Written By: STAR70 on 10/20/05 at 6:08 pm

I am a Star Warrior

Subject: Re: Star Trek vs. Star Wars

Written By: whistledog on 10/20/05 at 7:50 pm

DAmnit Jim, I just couldn't get into Star Trek, although I did enjoy the odd eopside of TNG

I choose Star Wars.  Great films.  Not too crazy about Eps 1-3, but the originals 4-6 were fantastic!  :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/20/05 at 8:38 pm

Star Wars

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/20/05 at 9:06 pm

Star Wars as a whole was a great epic, but Star Trek provided a lot of great individual stories and hope for the future.  I think the reason most people can't get into Star Trek is because it is, simply put, really geeky and requires a lot of recollection of timelines and sci-fi techiness and blah de blah that most people just won't bother with :P 

That said, I prefer Star Wars movies, but consider the impact that Star Trek has had on society and also on the English language.  When "Klingon" is assimilated into the Oxford English Dictionary, you know there's impact.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/21/05 at 9:46 am

It has to be Star Wars

Written By: TarzSp on 10/21/05 at 9:47 am

Star Wars of course  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/21/05 at 9:55 am

I find Star Wars more believable

Written By: Mushroom on 10/21/05 at 3:36 pm

This is a kind of "Chicken & The Egg" question.

Without Star Trek, there could never have been a "Star Wars".  Because before Trek, nobody took Sci-Fi seriously.

Most sci-fi TV shows and movies were of the Buck Rogers or "Monster Movie" theme.  Light horror, or rocket ships zoming between stars fighting monsters.  Or alien invaders.

Star Trek gave us the first really friendly aliens, and often showed Humans as the bad guys.  And it also involved some huge names in the industry.  Sci-Fi masters like Theodore Sturgeon, Norman Spinrad, and Robert Bloch wrote episodes.  This was the first time that Sci-Fi was written by real Sci-Fi authors.  And the most memorable show (The Trouble With Tribbles) was written by future Sci-Fi great David Gerrold.

Star Wars may try to act like an old sci-fi serial, but it has much more in common with Trek then it does Flash Gordon.  The complex storyline, special effects (more then just a model rocket on a string, with a sparkler shoved in the back), and real characters.  And not every story had a happy ending.

Many times in Trek, the story ended with a sad note.  "The City On The Edge Of Forever" is a great example.  In order to set things right, Kirk's love interest had to die.  Or "The Omega Glory", which had the "Cold War" still being fought, with "Yangs" (Yankees) and "Coms" (Communists) involved in a fight-to-the-death.

As for Star Wars itself, I find the 3 newer movies a pale shadow of the original 3 movies.  They greatly changed the back-story, and seem to be stilted and dry.  Anakin recieves my 2nd worst overactor award, right behind the mother from "The Lost Boys".

Written By: TarzSp on 10/21/05 at 4:22 pm

I thought "Revenge of the Sith" was a Great Movie.  It's up there with "Empire Strikes Back", in my opinion

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 10/22/05 at 10:52 am

Star Wars

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/20/06 at 1:08 am

Apples and Oranges. As a "universal" sci fan and enjoy both because they different in Tech, society, ect.

Written By: whistledog on 05/20/06 at 1:10 am

I miss the old days when you could say Star Wars, and every one knew what movie you were talking about.  Now, people say "Which Star Wars?  There is 6 of them"

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/20/06 at 1:23 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: HunkyDory on 05/20/06 at 6:48 pm

Star Wars by far

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/21/06 at 4:01 am

I used to be a big Star Wars buff, but now it seems a bit juvenile and cheesy - doesn't mean I've 'grown out of it', it's just the second trilogy kinda spoint it for me. I quite like the old trilogy, and the many books.etc that form the complex backstory to the Star Wars universe. Many fantastic SW games have also been released over the years.

Written By: Gis on 05/22/06 at 6:45 am

Star Wars definatly, though  I too think they are too different to compare.

Check for new replies or respond here...