inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New Song: "Hang Up" from overrated pop singer Madonna ...

Written By: woops on 10/23/05 at 9:39 pm

"Hang Up"...

Which Madonna should've done to her career 15 years ago since most of the junk since "Justify My Love" have gotten worse over the years and is now mostly known for controversy & bad movies...

Oh, wait... I mean Esther... either way, she's overrated.

Subject: Re: New Song: "Hang Up" from Madonna (2005)

Written By: whistledog on 10/23/05 at 9:49 pm

"Hang Up"...

Which Madonna should've done to her career 15 years ago since most of the junk since "Justify My Love" have gotten worse over the years and is now mostly known for controversy & bad movies...

Oh, wait... I mean Esther... either way, she's overrated.

So true

I haven't really enjoyed a Madonna song probably since Vogue from 1991, and I even got sick of that one after a while

I did however really like the Paul Oakenfold Night Version of her song "What it Feels Like For A Girl"

Subject: Re: New Song: "Hang Up" from Madonna (2005)

Written By: TarzSp on 10/24/05 at 12:40 am

So true

I haven't really enjoyed a Madonna song probably since Vogue from 1991, and I even got sick of that one after a while

I did however really like the Paul Oakenfold Night Version of her song "What it Feels Like For A Girl"

Not to be picky, but "Vogue" was actually from the Summer of 1990  8)

Unless it was released in Canada a year later..?

Oh, and I actually have enjoyed some Madonna Songs from the 90's.  "Vogue" obviously, then I also liked "Secret" from 1994 and "Human Nature" from 1995

Subject: Re: New Song: "Hang Up" from overrated pop singer Madonna ...

Written By: woops on 10/24/05 at 3:17 am

Recently she tried to be the female Bill Cosby and shared her parenting skills, which she doesn't allow her kids to watch tv and doesn't feed them ice cream.

I can see why they can't watch tv, (Is she familiar with the V Chip?), though not giving them ice cream is a bit odd...

Well, after all she's Madonna  ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/24/05 at 10:03 am

Hey.... what's wrong with ice cream?  ::)

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/01/05 at 9:40 am

overrated huh?  ok first of all the song is called "hung up", not "hang up".  second of all, it only happens to be the biggest hit she's had in years. the single and album reached #1 in every country in the world (except the single has topped out at #7 in USA so far).  that must say something about the quality of the song. i think it's very catchy, and it's madonna returning to form, the dance music she creates the best.  the album is f'ng spectacular. every song is a gem. it's a masterpiece.  give her another chance, you won't be disappointed.  there is a reason she's been on top for 23 years.

Written By: ktelqueen on 12/01/05 at 9:46 am

Hung Up is a great song  8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/01/05 at 1:28 pm

"Hang Up" is inane.  However...I'd rather have Madonna for a mom than Bill Cosby for a dad!
;)

"Thought the name of the show was 'Kids Say the Darnedest Things,' not 'Old Black Comedians Never Shut the H#ll Up!'"
--Stewie Griffin

http://www.members.aol.com/bjj33/stewie.jpg

Written By: Cafe80s on 12/04/05 at 7:37 am

Madonna is indeed very overrated & she sucks anus & so does her music, even if she did play a major part in shaping pop culture in the 80s, not that i care since pop also sucks anus.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/04/05 at 8:17 am

Over-rated, over-hyped, over-played, over here!

Written By: Cafe80s on 12/04/05 at 9:44 am

overrated huh?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/04/05 at 12:30 pm

I'll admit I like Madonna. I think this song is a nice fluffy song - like any other disco-esque song would be. Not that it's going to be of any strength to her prior output, but it's fun and upbeat. I like most of Madonna's work, as well. Her 1997 Ray of Light CD was way "underrated" and no one seems to talk about it, but it's a great CD. And, I usually try to separate an artists' personality from their actual work, otherwise I'd dislike a lot of good music!

And yes, it's "Hung Up," not "Hang Up."

Written By: Criz on 12/04/05 at 3:10 pm

Firstly, I kinda like her new song - it's going back to her 'dance-music' roots. The Abba sample really fits in well, so I think it's a pretty good pop tune.

Secondly, I don't think she's over-rated.  I think she's amazing at what she does. All the reinvention, the way she never lets the media manipulate her and her amazing back catalogue has to say something. I don't agree with people who say she's washed up - she's definitly a person who has never really left the limelight. She's the most famous female solo singer in the world I'd say.

I haven't always liked things she's done in the past, I haven't always liked every song - but I'd say the majority of her music is great for what it is. I thought she was great in the 80s, suffered a bit mid 90s and a couple years back with the whole 'American Life' thing. I've generally loved her style and her passion.

I saw her documentary 'I'm going to Tell You a Secret' last week ( a follow up to 'Truth or Dare') and I think I like her even more. She's standing up for what she believes in, and I believe it's not just for media publicity. She's urging people to not waste their vote, praising Michael Moore for everything he's done and even visited Israel with such a need to try and help their current situation.

Maybe you could say I'm sucked into her plan to mainiulate the media and in turn, the audience, but hey - from what I saw, I actually found that I liked her more.

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/05/05 at 7:21 am

Since when does more people buying the same product make something good? That's like saying that if i packaged & sold my excrement & marketed it well, over hyped it & everyone started buying it, then it must be good. Since when has sales dictated the quality of music or anything else for that matter? All that means is a large amount of sheep bought the same thing, so what. Music isn't just a lame popularity contest. Because if her music is considered "quality" then the standards these days must be very low. When people say a song is good because it's catchy it makes me laugh & it actually sounds like every 13 to 15 year old's comment that gets read on an afternoon kids show over here when they ask the veiwers of their opinion of songs they play on the show. The comments usually consist of " i think this song is good because it has a good beat & it's catchy" LOL. Geez i can't ague with brilliant observation like that LOL. Commercial jingles are also somtimes catchy but you don't see me trying to find out who composed them & rushing out to buy them LOL.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/05/05 at 7:27 am

I think Madonna needs to literally hang it up.....quit her day job...and concentrate on her kids and family....she looks ridiculous anymore, still acting like she is 20 years old or something.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/05/05 at 7:46 am

I'll admit I like Madonna. I think this song is a nice fluffy song - like any other disco-esque song would be. Not that it's going to be of any strength to her prior output, but it's fun and upbeat. I like most of Madonna's work, as well. Her 1997 Ray of Light CD was way "underrated" and no one seems to talk about it, but it's a great CD. And, I usually try to separate an artists' personality from their actual work, otherwise I'd dislike a lot of good music!

And yes, it's "Hung Up," not "Hang Up."

Yeah, I caught the second half of the video on VH1 recently and I liked it (didn't LOVE it, but thought it was good and catchy).

It's funny (in a good way, lol) you mentioned Ray of Light -- I thought this was alot like a slightly less electronic and more poppish variation of that song.

While I would overall agree her "groundbreaking" days are probably in the past, I'm sure she'll be around for some time to come. Plus, I don't care what anyone says, I still think she's a cutie at age 47 (in fact, I prefer her current image/look to the combed back blonde hair she had for a few years around 1999, and then the British one after that).

These days she's practically mentioned in the same breath as Elvis, Frank Sinatra and the Beatles, so that must say something. By 2020 or 2030, I guarantee she'll be completely legendary in that sense even if she never plays another note. ;)

I know she's had tons of controversy, but what people kinda forget is how much of an impact she had in the early MTV era, especially around 1984/85 when "Like a Virgin" came out. Not just as a big seller, but setting the bar for female pop artists to come. Before the late 70's/early 80's, there really weren't too many women rock or pop stars. Especially who pushed the boundaries with stuff like sex.

Written By: Zoso on 12/05/05 at 8:07 am

The only reason I don't like "Hung Up" is because it samples ABBA. Why the need to sample another artist? Can't she come up with her own music? I heard the second single will be "Sorry" which apparently samples Michael Jackson. She's gone sample crazy, and she's destroying great songs. I like "A Man After Midnight", why did Madonna have to go and murder a great song? I tell you what, she better not fudge around with any Michael Jackson song (which unfortunately, her next single does do). Michael Jackson songs are sacred. Don't go there girlfriend!

Written By: star500 on 12/05/05 at 9:07 am

"Hang Up" is inane.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/09/05 at 7:02 am

The only reason I don't like "Hung Up" is because it samples ABBA. Why the need to sample another artist? Can't she come up with her own music? I heard the second single will be "Sorry" which apparently samples Michael Jackson. She's gone sample crazy, and she's destroying great songs. I like "A Man After Midnight", why did Madonna have to go and murder a great song? I tell you what, she better not fudge around with any Michael Jackson song (which unfortunately, her next single does do). Michael Jackson songs are sacred. Don't go there girlfriend!

Must've missed this post the first time around.

I wasn't aware "Hung Up" sampled ABBA (then again, I'm not very familiar with their stuff, so that's not too surprising, LOL), but it sounds "original" enough to me, even if it's clearly recycling the same formula for her own "Ray of Light" eight years ago.

Sampling is so commonplace in music these days (mainly from rap artists), probably because there's really not that much "new" and creative out there at the moment for the past few years (at least not in the Top 40/mainstream). Maybe she thought/hoped no one would notice, but that's a longshot.

I do think though, that because mainstream pop culture is becoming less diverse, even onetime "trailblazers" like her will tend to jump on bandwagons more than make her own stuff cool, if that makes sense.

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 12/09/05 at 11:47 am

Madonna is not overrated and a had been now and madonna STOP TALKING LIKE YOUR FROM FREAKING ENGLAND! your from detroit a american not a british

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/09/05 at 11:49 am

Madonna is not overrated and a had been now and madonna STOP TALKING LIKE YOUR FROM FREAKING ENGLAND! your from detroit a american not a british
Please bear in mind that some of us are in England!

Written By: SAM-Indonesia on 12/10/05 at 1:08 am

Chill out (how to express in more American style?) this is just a "friendly freud" and as to Hang Up or Hung Up - just make up your mind first and we'll continue the feud. BTW who the hell is Madonna we are discussing here? Well never mind. 

Written By: Zoso on 12/10/05 at 2:29 am

Madonna's british accent does sound very much like a put-on. She was on Channel V over here in Australia a couple weeks ago and she kept slipping up with her accent. She spoke for a few minutes once over without realising she was sounding 100% American, and then quickly fixed up and spoke British again.

Check for new replies or respond here...