inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: HELP! Playing PC Sound Through Your Stereo Speakers

Written By: Ophrah on 10/24/05 at 2:49 pm

I have my PC connected to my stereo so I can play CDs and DVDs through real speakers, but lately I noticed an annoying hum coming through the speakers.  I don't hear it much when the music is actually playing, but when it's quiet, it's really irritating.  Does anybody know how I can get rid of that?  I'm using a basic cord that I got from Radio Shack that has stereo RCA plugs on one end to connect into my receiver, and a 1/8" (?) stereo plug on the other end that goes into the PC's headphone jack.  Can anybody tell what the problem is?
>:(

Subject: Re: HELP! Playing PC Sound Through Your Stereo Speakers

Written By: Skippy on 10/24/05 at 8:47 pm

Yup, I'd check/adjust volume first. If your using Windows there should be a speaker icon in the right side of your taskbar(bottom right of the desktop). Just left click it and a volume control should pop up. You really shouldn't go above 75% of the maximum.
  If that doesn't help, make sure you have the speakers plugged into the correct output. Some(many?) sound boards have an amplified output for non-powered speakers and a non-amplified output for powered speakers. Be sure to use the non amplified output.

Written By: Mushroom on 10/26/05 at 10:16 am

If that doesn't help, make sure you have the speakers plugged into the correct output. Some(many?) sound boards have an amplified output for non-powered speakers and a non-amplified output for powered speakers. Be sure to use the non amplified output.

This is exactly right.  Most normally, that buzz is when you plug a "line out" to an amplified signal.

Another problem can be what is called "sound floor".  Most low-end and built-in sound cards have a level of line noise that is more noticed when it is amplified.  I work as a DJ, and encounter this all the time when I hook up through the high-end equipment at most clubs.

The best way to counter both of your problems is probably to upgrade your sound card.  Very few "built in" cards have a non-amplified line out.  If you get something like a Turtle Beach Montego or Catalina, or a higher-end Creative Labs card ($100+ range) you will get a lower "noise floor", and also gain things like 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 surround sound, and non-amplified line outs.

Personally, I recommend the Turtle Beach cards.  I have used them for over 5 years, and have always been very happy with their quality, and their cost.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/soundcards/

Written By: Ophrah on 10/26/05 at 1:01 pm

I'm pretty sure I get the same effect whether I use the speaker inputs on the front OR the back of the PC, so maybe they're both amplified.  But I'll try it again when I get home.  Funny thing is, I don't remember hearing the buzz before recently, and I've hooked it up that way on and off for at least a year.  I thought maybe I did something different this time, like use a different line input to the receiver or something.

The buzz is a lot less if I turn down the volume on the receiver and use the volume control in Windows instead, but I don't get much sound that way.  Anyway, I don't think I want to spend money on a soundcard right now.  And I sure don't want to mess with trying to install one.  But thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Check for new replies or respond here...