inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Elmo Impersonator Arrested on the Street

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/25/05 at 6:26 pm

LOS ANGELES (Oct. 25) - The red and cuddly Sesame Street Muppet Elmo has learned a new lesson: 'H' is for handcuffs.

A man dressed as the character was one of three impersonators arrested last week for allegedly harassing tourists for tips after posing for photos on Hollywood Boulevard. Booked with him were people impersonating superhero Mr. Incredible and the dark-hooded character from the horror movie "Scream."

The impersonators said they were taken into custody at gunpoint, handcuffed and paraded on the Hollywood Walk of Fame before stunned tourists and other impersonators. They were charged with misdemeanor "aggressive begging," police said.

"With all of the crime in Los Angeles they pick on us?" said Elmo impersonator Donn Harper, 45, who makes up to $400 a day in tips.

Tourists have complained that the costumed characters harass them for not tipping after posing for photos in front of Grauman's Chinese Theater and the Kodak Theater. Merchants say some of the costumed characters are scaring tourists.

Los Angeles Police Officer Michael Shea said police warned impersonators at a meeting last month that the department would start enforcing solicitation and harassment laws. Officers conducted a sting operation by posing as French tourists who didn't understand English or the American tipping culture.

"Make no mistake about it - I wanted the characters to know what we're doing," Shea said.

Subject: Re: Elmo Impersonator Arrested on the Street

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/25/05 at 6:31 pm

LOS ANGELES (Oct. 25) - The red and cuddly Sesame Street Muppet Elmo has learned a new lesson: 'H' is for handcuffs.

A man dressed as the character was one of three impersonators arrested last week for allegedly harassing tourists for tips after posing for photos on Hollywood Boulevard. Booked with him were people impersonating superhero Mr. Incredible and the dark-hooded character from the horror movie "Scream."

The impersonators said they were taken into custody at gunpoint, handcuffed and paraded on the Hollywood Walk of Fame before stunned tourists and other impersonators. They were charged with misdemeanor "aggressive begging," police said.

"With all of the crime in Los Angeles they pick on us?" said Elmo impersonator Donn Harper, 45, who makes up to $400 a day in tips.

Tourists have complained that the costumed characters harass them for not tipping after posing for photos in front of Grauman's Chinese Theater and the Kodak Theater. Merchants say some of the costumed characters are scaring tourists.

Los Angeles Police Officer Michael Shea said police warned impersonators at a meeting last month that the department would start enforcing solicitation and harassment laws. Officers conducted a sting operation by posing as French tourists who didn't understand English or the American tipping culture.

"Make no mistake about it - I wanted the characters to know what we're doing," Shea said.

Don't Los Angeles cops have anything better to do? Oh well remember this is the police department whose officers specialize in Rodney King-type 'discipline'!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/25/05 at 6:32 pm

Don't Los Angeles cops have anything better to do? Oh well remember this is the police department whose officers specialize in Rodney King-type 'discipline'!
And those impersonators are NOT prostitutes or drug dealers or gang members....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/25/05 at 7:44 pm

Sheesh!  I thought it was bad enough when it was just the Macy's Santa Claus with whiskey on his breath! Now you've got Elmo out out there doing aggressive panhandling!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/25/05 at 8:05 pm

I can see this new Elmo toy..GIMME YOUR CASH Elmo!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/25/05 at 8:46 pm

Spongebob Squarepimp
:D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/25/05 at 9:49 pm

http://www.epod-central.com/funnypics/picevilsesame.jpg  ;D

Written By: McDonald on 10/25/05 at 10:53 pm

So they're "scaring tourists?" Big f**king deal! God forbid someone be forced to experience a real emotion in L.A., the happiest place on Earth. They oughtta tip in the first place. I wish I had the chance to "harass" people who stiff me as a waiter, and I don't even have to walk around in a fuzzy suit in a blazing hot city. I know what it's like to be stiffed for a well-deserved tip by ignorant cheapskates... it's like a slap in the face.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/26/05 at 2:33 am

I don't think this situation has anything to do with the actual city. It's the cops, not the city. Stop ratting on L.A. before I handcuff you..  :D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/26/05 at 12:58 pm

So they're "scaring tourists?" Big f**king deal! God forbid someone be forced to experience a real emotion in L.A., the happiest place on Earth. They oughtta tip in the first place. I wish I had the chance to "harass" people who stiff me as a waiter, and I don't even have to walk around in a fuzzy suit in a blazing hot city. I know what it's like to be stiffed for a well-deserved tip by ignorant cheapskates... it's like a slap in the face.
Remember, Los Angeles is the city where cops are just itching to bust someone because they are minority...or non-WASP(white anglo saxon protestant)!
I wonder what would happen if a Los Angeles cop heard someone playing that rap 'F**k the Police'...would they do the Rodney King thing?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/26/05 at 1:12 pm

Remember, Los Angeles is the city where cops are just itching to bust someone because they are minority...or non-WASP(white anglo saxon protestant)!
I wonder what would happen if a Los Angeles cop heard someone playing that rap 'F**k the Police'...would they do the Rodney King thing?

Just because Los Angeles is a big city these things get blown out of porportion. There are cities and police squads in the south who've done much, much worse against minorities but who have rarely get the same bad rap or the big media coverage. Give L.A. a break.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/26/05 at 1:48 pm

Just because Los Angeles is a big city these things get blown out of porportion. There are cities and police squads in the south who've done much, much worse against minorities but who have rarely get the same bad rap or the big media coverage. Give L.A. a break.
New Orleans is a shining example of "When Cops Go Bad"!

Check for new replies or respond here...