inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dakota Fanning: Hit or Miss

Written By: Electric Youth on 10/26/05 at 7:10 pm

For a 10 year old, she's better than most bubbleheaded actresses that are popular now.

Do you think she'll be the next Drew Barrymore, nevermind her past, or the next Gary Coleman...

Only time will tell...

Atleast she's not as cloying like Shirley McClaine and a better actress than the Olsen twins.

Though I actually find her creepy since she tend to act mature for her age.

Subject: Re: Dakota Fanning: Hit or Miss

Written By: Electric Youth on 10/26/05 at 7:13 pm

I meant "Shirley Temple", my bad  :-[  :P

Written By: TarzSp on 10/26/05 at 7:24 pm

She's actually 11 Years Old (Almost 12)

And I think she is Amazing. She is the Greatest Child Actor I've ever seen

I get annoyed by people who trash her just because she's a Child Star who gets alot of Movie Roles.  The reason she gets alot of movie roles is because she's that damn good

Written By: whistledog on 10/26/05 at 8:45 pm

She is quite a good actress.  You'd never think she was the age that she is.  She had a very good performance in "I Am Sam"

Written By: Skippy on 10/26/05 at 11:00 pm

The first time I saw her was on a Sci-fi channell mini-series. The title escapes me at the moment. I thought to myself; dang, is this kid for real? I think she's even better than Shirley Temple, Drew Barrymore, or Jodie Foster were as a child starlette. I just hope Hollyweird doesn't screw her up.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/26/05 at 11:40 pm

I think she is great!

Erin :)

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 10/26/05 at 11:47 pm

*gradual crescendo of approaching Brattoni*
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzoink!
*door bursts off hinges*
HuhwhatDakotadidsomeonejustmentionDakotaasinFanningmoviestarchildprodigybrilliantDakotaFanningspookilygeniusadorablefreakyamazingDakota?

Obviously you have not seen my dozen or so posts since early this year regarding this topic.
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,885.msg318890.html#msg318890

Hit! Hithithithithit!!!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/27/05 at 3:18 am

She has a lot of potential.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 10/27/05 at 4:55 am

She has potential, but she's not the best child actress ever. The best performance by a child actress is Natalie Portman in The Professional.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/27/05 at 5:37 am

I like her as a child, but am not sure how that will translate in the adult.  She has a Goldie Hawn
quality that may become annoying as she ages.  It will be up to her manager to make sure she
has the right coaches.

Written By: TarzSp on 10/27/05 at 10:58 am

The best performance by a child actress is Natalie Portman in The Professional.

Agreed 100%  :)

Written By: Southern Image on 10/27/05 at 12:53 pm

I just hope she doesn't turn out like most of these child actors have. If she has a good family life , keeps her head straight, and learns the biz, maybe she will end up like Jodie Foster.  :)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/28/05 at 11:11 am

I just hope she doesn't turn out like most of these child actors have. If she has a good family life , keeps her head straight, and learns the biz, maybe she will end up like Jodie Foster.  :)

Took the words right outa my mouth there !  I was thinking that provided she disappears to finish her schooling - then re-appears as an adult actress - she will have the ability to avoid the drunken teen rubbish of Lohan and her ilk, and disasters like Culkin etc !

I saw her interviewed the other day and she really has a grown up state of mind. 

Her performance in I Am Sam kills me everytime I see it. I would say its my personal choice in great childhood acting moments.

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 11:55 am

jodie foster will probably always be the standard by which child actors are judged. her role in "the little girl who lives down the lane," it's really pretty amazing how talented she was.

but yeah, dakota fanning... i hadn't actually seen her in anything before war of the worlds, and so much of that movie is her reaction shots. it's an amazing lot of pressure to put on someone that age, and i thought she did a darned fine job.

Written By: TarzSp on 10/28/05 at 12:00 pm

Everyone needs to see her in "I Am Sam", she is Tremendous and she's so darn Adorable

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/28/05 at 12:40 pm

She has potential, but she's not the best child actress ever. The best performance by a child actress is Natalie Portman in The Professional.

I second that. Also, Anna Paquin in "The Piano." She was really good, despite the movie being just okay.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/28/05 at 12:46 pm

She's actually 11 Years Old (Almost 12)

And I think she is Amazing. She is the Greatest Child Actor I've ever seen

I get annoyed by people who trash her just because she's a Child Star who gets alot of Movie Roles.  The reason she gets alot of movie roles is because she's that damn good

She's no better than DaVeigh Chase or any other little girl. She gets parts based on politics and security.  I think she's good, but she's not, "that damn good" to where she's getting parts over other young actresses simply because she's better.  That's a load of crap if I've ever heard one before in my life.  I'm sick of seeing "Dakota Fanning" every stinking time there is a little girl part in a movie.  Give some of these other young girls a chance, who are JUST AS GOOD as Dakota Fanning.  We don't need a younger version of Jimmy Stuart running around.

Written By: TarzSp on 10/28/05 at 2:09 pm

She's no better than DaVeigh Chase or any other little girl. She gets parts based on politics and security.  I think she's good, but she's not, "that damn good" to where she's getting parts over other young actresses simply because she's better.  That's a load of crap if I've ever heard one before in my life.  I'm sick of seeing "Dakota Fanning" every stinking time there is a little girl part in a movie.  Give some of these other young girls a chance, who are JUST AS GOOD as Dakota Fanning.  We don't need a younger version of Jimmy Stuart running around.

I Disagree, and I think you're obviously one of the many people who get annoyed by the great Child Actresses

And who are you to say "Give some of these other girls a chance"? That is the most overplayed excuse there is.  Do you think it's Dakota Fanning's fault that other girls aren't getting roles?  Blame the Directors who cast her, not Dakota

And the reason she's constantly getting roles is because she IS that darn good, whether you like it or not

The funny thing about this is, you sit here and say that "Other girls should get a chance", yet when another girl does get her chance and then she starts becoming the "IT" girl in Hollywood and she's starting to get all the roles, you're going to get all pissy and moany and start clammering for other little girls to get roles because this particular girl get's too many

So, are you just going to continue this cycle? You want another girl to get a shot, so when they do and then they start getting every role, are you going to be whining about how she doesent give any other little girls a shot?  If not, then that obviously makes just a Dakota Fanning Hater

I'd love to ask you exactly why do you think Dakota Fanning keeps getting roles, but your logic would probably be laughable. People keep getting roles because of how good they are. She impressed us all in her first feature film and that's what got her where she is today.  Don't be so jealous

People never cease to amaze me  ::)

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 2:22 pm

wow,i had no idea this was such a contentious subject. and *I* should be the one getting mad, seeing as how that jezebel jodie foster took the part in freaky friday that should rightfully have been mine!

i sorta agree about the casters being to blame, but i also agree that there's probably a lot of great talent out there that gets passed up because certain people are the "it" thing. in the whole wide world there's certainly more people than just miss fanning who could do what she does. at the same time, i'm always astounded that people of that age can bear up under the responsibility of having an entire million-dollar project hung around their necks. at her age i'd have panicked and made a run for it! i tell ya.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/28/05 at 10:40 pm

I Disagree, and I think you're obviously one of the many people who get annoyed by the great Child Actresses

And who are you to say "Give some of these other girls a chance"? That is the most overplayed excuse there is.  Do you think it's Dakota Fanning's fault that other girls aren't getting roles?  Blame the Directors who cast her, not Dakota

And the reason she's constantly getting roles is because she IS that darn good, whether you like it or not

The funny thing about this is, you sit here and say that "Other girls should get a chance", yet when another girl does get her chance and then she starts becoming the "IT" girl in Hollywood and she's starting to get all the roles, you're going to get all pissy and moany and start clammering for other little girls to get roles because this particular girl get's too many

So, are you just going to continue this cycle? You want another girl to get a shot, so when they do and then they start getting every role, are you going to be whining about how she doesent give any other little girls a shot?  If not, then that obviously makes just a Dakota Fanning Hater

I'd love to ask you exactly why do you think Dakota Fanning keeps getting roles, but your logic would probably be laughable. People keep getting roles because of how good they are. She impressed us all in her first feature film and that's what got her where she is today.  Don't be so jealous

People never cease to amaze me  ::)

Yes I will become pissy and moany, they don't need to get one little girl or boy for that matter and make him/her a little clone of Jimmy Stuart.  We don't need that.  This world has more to offer than Dakota fanning, sure it's ok if she's the little girl in 3/10 movies that's fine, but your seriously think that she deserves and has earned 10/10 of the movies she's in?  That's statistically and logically ludicrusly insane.

You have ton to learn about the world of auditioning.  It's not what you know, it's who you know.    If you honestly think that Dakota Fanning is getting roles because she's better than the likes of Daveigh Chase you just keep on believing that.  They want you in the shadows anyway.

You wanna talk about people seizing to amaze you?  Do you really believe that all the actors and actresses get parts because of there talent?  Someone here hasn't seen "Cross Roads" starring Brittany Spears.

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 11:42 pm

can't we all just get along?

Written By: woops on 10/29/05 at 6:25 pm

Brittney Murphy, another good actress that ended up taking the wrong path...

Jody Foster, overrated

Drew Barrymore, despite of her past, she's an OK actress

Shirley Temple, didn't she fade when she became a teen, Judy Garland was also a child actress, though ended up takeing the wrong path with drugs

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/30/05 at 2:11 pm

Hit or miss?  I can't say I even saw the shot fired to the target.  I did see "I Am Sam" on the tube a while back.  Pretty effing bad.  If you've seen the previews, you've as good as seen the movie! 'Nuff said!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/02/05 at 6:24 pm

Brittney Murphy, another good actress that ended up taking the wrong path...

Jody Foster, overrated

Drew Barrymore, despite of her past, she's an OK actress

Shirley Temple, didn't she fade when she became a teen, Judy Garland was also a child actress, though ended up takeing the wrong path with drugs

Natalie Wood was also a child star who was very successful as an adult actress.

Written By: Stompgal on 12/10/05 at 5:30 am

I liked Dakota in War of the Worlds and Uptown Girls.

Written By: star500 on 12/10/05 at 4:15 pm

The first time I saw her was on a Sci-fi channell mini-series. The title escapes me at the moment.

Your talking about Taken. That is the Sci-fi channel mini-series that she was on. It was directed by Stephen Spielberg and as far as I know, is on DVD.

I think Dakota Fanning is a little overrated. Don't get me wrong, that kid can act and is probably one of the better child actresses we have had in recent years but she is not all she is hyped up to be. Her best movies probably were I Am Sam, Hide and Seek and Taken.

Her worst movie (in my opinion) was Uptown Girls. She didn't get a chance to show off what a great personality she has and as a result of that she comes across as annoying little brat who sulks constantly and never seems to be happy (until the end of the movie!)

She should be cast in a remake of Alice in Wonderland....does anyone else agree?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/11/05 at 2:42 pm

Your talking about Taken. That is the Sci-fi channel mini-series that she was on. It was directed by Stephen Spielberg and as far as I know, is on DVD.

I think Dakota Fanning is a little overrated. Don't get me wrong, that kid can act and is probably one of the better child actresses we have had in recent years but she is not all she is hyped up to be. Her best movies probably were I Am Sam, Hide and Seek and Taken.

Her worst movie (in my opinion) was Uptown Girls. She didn't get a chance to show off what a great personality she has and as a result of that she comes across as annoying little brat who sulks constantly and never seems to be happy (until the end of the movie!)

She should be cast in a remake of Alice in Wonderland....does anyone else agree?

she would be great as Alice, IMO.

Check for new replies or respond here...