inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bill Gates Predicts CDs & DVDs Will Soon Become "Extinct"

Written By: Morton on 10/28/05 at 7:01 am

Microsoft multi-billionaire Bill Gates has revealed that in the near future, Cds and DvDs will become obselete. Even the new High-Density DVDs that aren't even available will become obselete.

Bill says that nowadays, with the rate in which technology is advancing, soon it will become easier to download movies than go and buy DVDs.

Is he writing them off too soon, or do you think the man has a point?

Subject: Re: Bill Gates Predicts CDs & DVDs Will Soon Become "Extinct"

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 7:10 am

weird, i was thinking about that just yesterday. i think he's largely right, although it will probably be a few years, because i still would rather watch movies on my 27" t.v. than on my 17" computer monitor. also, there's HDTV to consider. computer technology will have to keep up with that. so i betw what we'll end up with is something where you can interface your computer and your t.v., like a DVD player but hooked up to your computer.

also, i don't think they'll become obsolete, they'll just be more of a niche market. a lot of people don't have computers! it's funny; CDs have had twenty years to make cassette tapes obsolete but you can still get tapes at any corner store.

what i wanna know is, when are 8-tracks gonna make a comeback?  :)

Written By: Morton on 10/28/05 at 7:14 am

weird, i was thinking about that just yesterday. i think he's largely right, although it will probably be a few years, because i still would rather watch movies on my 27" t.v. than on my 17" computer monitor. also, there's HDTV to consider. computer technology will have to keep up with that. so i betw what we'll end up with is something where you can interface your computer and your t.v., like a DVD player but hooked up to your computer.

also, i don't think they'll become obsolete, they'll just be more of a niche market. a lot of people don't have computers! it's funny; CDs have had twenty years to make cassette tapes obsolete but you can still get tapes at any corner store.

Yes, I see what you mean. Much like cassette tapes when Cds were first introduced. And I agree, it will take some years before this even starts to happen. Perhaps Mr Gates is planning on marketing Wide-Screen laptops?!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/28/05 at 10:24 am

It won't happen for quite awhile...

Written By: Ophrah on 10/28/05 at 11:23 am

Makes sense.  There's no reason your 27" TV can't just be a 27" flat screen monitor/TV connected to the net.

Written By: whistledog on 10/28/05 at 11:56 am

This won't ever happen.  I think there are lots of people who like to buy DVD's.. being able to own the DVD box art is one thing I love :)

Written By: Skippy on 10/28/05 at 12:15 pm

Bill says that nowadays, with the rate in which technology is advancing, soon it will become easier to download movies than go and buy DVDs.

Perhaps the sales of DVD movies will decline, but even if one downloads they will still a means to need to store/back-up the media on something. A computer hard drive still has limited capacity.

what i wanna know is, when are 8-tracks gonna make a comeback?

Dontcha just miss that click-click in the middle of your favorite song?

There's no reason your 27" TV can't just be a 27" flat screen monitor/TV connected to the net.

As long as it isn't a flat screen CRT(not enough resolution). It looks like the prices of LCD screens are nearing the "affordable" range.

Written By: Morton on 10/28/05 at 6:11 pm

Perhaps Bill Gates wants Cds and DVDs to die out... more money for him, I suppose

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 10/29/05 at 10:43 am

Perhaps Bill Gates wants Cds and DVDs to die out... more money for him, I suppose
I agree with you more money for him gates

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/29/05 at 1:10 pm

Yeah... like he needs more money....  ::)

Written By: Mushroom on 10/29/05 at 1:42 pm

How will this make money for Bill Gates?  ???

Microsoft is not in the movie business.  Nor is it in the movie distribution business.  And to take it a step further, Microsoft has nothing to do with making the standards that media is distributed in.

A good example is the standards that have been used for years.  Music CDs use the "Red Book" standard.  This was created largely by Philips & Sony.  The current DVD standard was created largely by Philips and Sony as well.

For the next generation of DVD, there are 2 competing formats.  "Blu-Ray" is once again a Philips & Sony format.  The other is HD DVD, created by Toshiba and NEC.

And before anybody thinks that Sony has a monopoly, remember what happened with the "Videotape War".  That was between Beta (Sony) and VHS (JVC).  And we all know who ended up the winner in that battle, it was not Sony.

Notice, that MS is nowhere involved in any of this.  All they do is follow whatever standard is decided upon by others.

And yes, DVD will someday become obsolete.  Just like 45 and LP records, LaserDisk, CED, Beta, and VHS is now obsolete.

Written By: Morton on 10/29/05 at 4:00 pm

How will this make money for Bill Gates?   ???

Microsoft is not in the movie business.  Nor is it in the movie distribution business.  And to take it a step further, Microsoft has nothing to do with making the standards that media is distributed in.

A good example is the standards that have been used for years.  Music CDs use the "Red Book" standard.  This was created largely by Philips & Sony.  The current DVD standard was created largely by Philips and Sony as well.

For the next generation of DVD, there are 2 competing formats.  "Blu-Ray" is once again a Philips & Sony format.  The other is HD DVD, created by Toshiba and NEC.

And before anybody thinks that Sony has a monopoly, remember what happened with the "Videotape War".  That was between Beta (Sony) and VHS (JVC).  And we all know who ended up the winner in that battle, it was not Sony.

Notice, that MS is nowhere involved in any of this.  All they do is follow whatever standard is decided upon by others.

And yes, DVD will someday become obsolete.  Just like 45 and LP records, LaserDisk, CED, Beta, and VHS is now obsolete.

Very well explained, I did not think of it like that. So does that mean one day everything will have to be downloaded?!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/30/05 at 2:08 pm

Corporate America thrives on planned obsolescence.  I still don't own a cell phone, and i-pod, or a blackberry, but I know sure as the waning of the moon I'll begrudgingly obtain this junk by and by!
::)

Written By: Tia on 10/30/05 at 2:30 pm

obsolescence rocks! i just got three great albums at tower records for three bucks apiece, because they're on cassette tape. 15 bucks for a CD or three bucks for a cassette tape? i'm all about it.

i bet VHS never goes out of style. not unless you get a DVD you can rewrite over multiple times.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/30/05 at 3:02 pm

obsolescence rocks! i just got three great albums at tower records for three bucks apiece, because they're on cassette tape. 15 bucks for a CD or three bucks for a cassette tape? i'm all about it.

i bet VHS never goes out of style. not unless you get a DVD you can rewrite over multiple times.

People who hung on to their turntables can now find mint-condition pop LPs for two bucks a pop!  Not bad, eh?

Written By: Tia on 10/30/05 at 3:10 pm

i was never able to keep records from getting scratched! i was always really bad about that. i'd be looking under the bed and, oh, there's my copy of that billy squier album. and oh, look, it's totally out of the jacket and out of the sleeve and covered in thumbtacks. great!

what's funny about CDs is that a record is usually 45 minutes and a cd can go up to 70 minutes or so; i remember getting the red hot chili peppers album blood sugar sex magic and that was one of my first experiences with a single CD album that's almost 70 minutes long and i would get impatient with it near the end. i think an album should be about 45 minutes long. that's about as long as i usually want to listen to any particular artist. i think it's the same thing as why movies tend to be around an hour and a half, and something much longer than that and people tend to get a little antsy. there's just something about having an album be 45 minutes that seems right to me.

hmm. is this thread still on topic? or no? i can't even tell, lol. i think i'm the worst thread derailer going...  ::)

Written By: tigerghost on 10/30/05 at 4:00 pm

It's not that weird,
How many peple nowadays carry a CD player and not an MP3 Player
I think that it will probrably happen soon, but most likely by the years of 2013-15. But bands could release songs on DVD's which would store twice as much music as the standard 20 song album. Even now the same thing is happening to video games. If you've ever played Half-Life 2, you know how miserable STEAM is, but that is the way everybody is going now. STEAM made a deal will EA GAMES, and now EA will publish games for download on STEAM. WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO!!!

Written By: Skippy on 10/30/05 at 7:25 pm

People who hung on to their turntables can now find mint-condition pop LPs for two bucks a pop!  Not bad, eh?

That's me. I've bought a bunch of cheap vinyl lately. As long as they don't run out of needles....  :D

bands could release songs on DVD's which would store twice as much music as the standard 20 song album.

They'd just fill the extra space with useless crap like they do now on movie DVDs. I personally think putting 2 movies per DVD would sell more DVDs, but I'm just funny that way. I always thought with a little compression they could put a movie on a CD.

Written By: jevmaster5 on 10/31/05 at 6:30 am

he does have a point, technology is moving insanly fast. he is probably right

Check for new replies or respond here...